Author Topic: Moving to Boston  (Read 2015 times)

cool spot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Moving to Boston
« on: March 05, 2013, 01:27:33 PM »
Boston pals, I just moved from the SF bay area to the east coast and I want to skate! Who wants to play tour guide and share their expertise of the city with me? I'm staying in NYC short term right now, and am trying to find work and a place to live in Boston. I spent all last week there, fell in love with the city, found wayyyyy more spots than I thought, and didnt really mind the cold as much I thought.

Let me know any ideas for housing, spots, or general hanging out. If anyone wants to meet up and skate, I'm a 25 year old transplant who mostly prefers ledges, transitions, or anything weird. AKA low impact. I'll most likely be on the 9-5 program so its nights or weekends skate wise.

raunchyrick

• Rep: 36
Re: Moving to Boston
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »
Come to western mass every once and a while!

Pango

• Rep: -30
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 02:38:39 PM »
Brighton/Allston is where all the hispters live, Cambridge is a bit pricey but really nice, Sommervile is where I'm prob going to move to after graduating college because its near Boston and Cambridge and there are other metro Boston towns like Malden or Medford that are decently affordable.

So once you get living accommodations then we could talk about spots but as far as transition goes.  You aint going to see much here but there is Hyde Park Skate Park down near West Roxbury (Suburb) that has the best skate park transition up here.

One ledge spot which gets pretty crowed but has been perhaps the best ledge spot in town is down by the Suffolk County Sheriffs Department (just google it and its the park across from it facing the bay).  Its a short skate from North Station.

But I'm sure you will love Boston, it aint like NYC at all and its a little more relaxed.  The people here are somewhat pretentious and I hate to say it Boston is losing its soul and you could be the judge of that...

oldgoodburger

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 03:32:23 PM »
go to orchard they'll hook you up

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 07:21:37 AM »
We have a wacky DIY skatepark out here by the Fancy Lad mansion in Jamaica Plain. It's currently buried in snow, but it's a short skate from the Stony Brook Orange Line stop.

PM me if you ever wanna come over and watch some of our epic library of skate videos, which we keep in the dual living room/ Colin Fiske bedroom.

Colin

• Rep: -1
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 10:30:29 AM »
As people mentioned, not much along the lines of transition around. Orchard has a 5ft mini ramp, so that's your best bet. Lots of younger people live in Sommerville, Jamaica Plain and Allston if your looking for something a bit cheaper, but still accessible on the T. Orchard's in Allston as well. More expensive living is obviously in the heart of the city, back bay, fenway, etc.

A few random spots... Ruggles basketball courts/ledges right outside the Ruggles T stop, behind the police station. Jackson Mann school in Allston, there's a really fun circular manny pad in Sommerville near the RAW store (and some more spots over there, just ask in the store), and of course Eggs which someone mentioned is across from the sheriffs office thing.

cool spot

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 07:00:18 AM »
thanks for all the help dudes! It looks like im gonna end up in the allston area, just a short skate to orchard, which is rad. I'll definitely send out some pm's and meet up with everyone who is down. I'll be showing up around april i think.

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 11:02:40 AM »

Loyal Pawn

• Rep: 7
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 07:57:44 PM »
The volcano's have been gone since the begining of the 2000's.They tore em down to expand the hospital.Sad day that was.

yungnol

• Rep: 2
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 10:14:36 PM »
Acorn ledges are always fun if you're moving to Allston and there's a flat gap and some wooden ledges at a Harvard dorm across the bridge from it too

gkn00dlez

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 11:37:57 PM »
Popping in to SLAP for my annual skate vacation advice. Going to be in Boston next week and would love any advice of "shit to do" from some local heads, or the possible link up and push around. Any advice or possibility of a good session is greatly appreciated.

cool spot

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 03:18:45 PM »
Popping in to SLAP for my annual skate vacation advice. Going to be in Boston next week and would love any advice of "shit to do" from some local heads, or the possible link up and push around. Any advice or possibility of a good session is greatly appreciated.

I just moved here, but I'm down to skate! pretty much weekends only right now tho. I've only got a handful of spots, but id be down to cruise and explore

gkn00dlez

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 08:26:43 PM »
Rad. PM your contact and let's skate. I may only be in from Monday - Friday but them again, maybe not.

maplesteam

• Rep: 0
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 06:48:45 PM »
I live in Southern NH and skate Boston like once every two weeks. Definitely down to skate, I know the city well I've been skating there for ten years

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 11:41:58 AM »
i will actually be going to the JP spot when I'm done with my work today. probably around 4:30 depending on how many more times i flip out and start chain smoking my frustration away
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

cool spot

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 12:59:57 PM »
i will actually be going to the JP spot when I'm done with my work today. probably around 4:30 depending on how many more times i flip out and start chain smoking my frustration away

fuck dude, ive got shit going on tonight but i'll probably go after work (if its not raining) tomorrow and friday.