Author Topic: we need to talk about vans footwear  (Read 11535 times)

truthislie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 58
Re: we need to talk about vans footwear
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 06:26:02 AM »
I got a pair of old skools today that I probably won?t skate for now (I have skated some pairs and loved it - but they fell apart too fast). What surprised me is that they didnt come with spare laces. Not that I dont have enough spare laces at home, but come on, I mean its called their "core line" or some bullshit...

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 09:26:27 AM »
I got a pair of old skools today that I probably won?t skate for now (I have skated some pairs and loved it - but they fell apart too fast). What surprised me is that they didnt come with spare laces. Not that I dont have enough spare laces at home, but come on, I mean its called their "core line" or some bullshit...

Yep. Noticed that too. bummer vans. bummer.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2013, 09:56:41 AM »
Mine did...

Binomial Nomenclature

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 05:15:57 PM »
I have definitely noticed inferior rubber quality at Vans in the last 3 years.  But it varies between pairs.  Also; the tighter half cabs with hardly any tongue padding have better and longer lasting treads than the fatter ones with the thick sole.  I guess Vans just has multiple factories to keep up with demand and not all standards are equal across the company.  Publicly trade this!

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 08:33:50 PM »
Got some blue AVE skate lows late last spring which I thought were going to become my shoe of choice, they were classic, low profile, and just fine looking (I was a "vans man" for the longest).  They started to show signs even in the first week when I was just chillin in them.  They literally fell apart second session...the sole just detached.  This broke my heart and drove into the arms of nike, converse, and eventually even DC which I never thought would happen again because they had become so...well you know. Fittingly enough the AVE ones were that last dc's I owned way back when, but I digress.  The mike taylors  were the best shoes I skated all year.  Every time I paused to admire their construction I realized I was likely done with vans.

Flash forward through a summer, fall, and winter of putting my feet in anything that gripped wood and looked supple and I found myself (not without trepidation) buying some era pros.  Perhaps for nostalgia's sake or succumbing to false hope but in either case readying myself for disappointment.  The first few ollies felt like being reunited and I stopped caring if this was only going to last a few days because it felt so good.

Well it's been a couple weeks and things are holding up pretty well actually, and I feel like all is as it should be and even have some Natives on deck!

The moral of this story is that sometimes you will find yourself tied into something defective and life just sucks.  But you can't let the defective ones ruin all the other ones for you even if they look just like the ones that were garbage.

Waffle grip fo life!

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2013, 08:46:10 PM »

I stopped caring if this was only going to last a few days because it felt so good.

buttpirate

• Rep: 32
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 01:24:17 AM »
Got some blue AVE skate lows late last spring which I thought were going to become my shoe of choice, they were classic, low profile, and just fine looking (I was a "vans man" for the longest).  They started to show signs even in the first week when I was just chillin in them.  They literally fell apart second session...the sole just detached.  This broke my heart and drove into the arms of nike, converse, and eventually even DC which I never thought would happen again because they had become so...well you know. Fittingly enough the AVE ones were that last dc's I owned way back when, but I digress.  The mike taylors  were the best shoes I skated all year.  Every time I paused to admire their construction I realized I was likely done with vans.

Flash forward through a summer, fall, and winter of putting my feet in anything that gripped wood and looked supple and I found myself (not without trepidation) buying some era pros.  Perhaps for nostalgia's sake or succumbing to false hope but in either case readying myself for disappointment.  The first few ollies felt like being reunited and I stopped caring if this was only going to last a few days because it felt so good.

Well it's been a couple weeks and things are holding up pretty well actually, and I feel like all is as it should be and even have some Natives on deck!

The moral of this story is that sometimes you will find yourself tied into something defective and life just sucks.  But you can't let the defective ones ruin all the other ones for you even if they look just like the ones that were garbage.

Waffle grip fo life!

wait till you try those AVE natives - thought they would be awesome, pretty bad. floppy shoes, 2nd session

BigMoe

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2013, 07:55:51 AM »
Never seen this thread before.

Thanks Guys

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2013, 10:05:47 AM »
Gotta agree, vans skate great for about a week, at least for me. I know you can shoe goo them, but a supposedly "core" brand should be able to make a product that stands on its own. There's better alternatives at least to me.

brokenheadphone

• Rep: -3
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2013, 06:56:11 AM »
seriously tho.....i was wish they'd bring back that cupsole low cab....

If you mean these from '96 or so, I had a pair of those and they sucked. Hurt my feet and totally inferior to what Etnies had out at the time (Sal 23s, Screws, Raps).

I've gone back and forth with almost pulling the trigger on a pair of Half Cabs, Stage 4, TnTs, etc a few times but in the end I just end up passing them up for other shoes. Too many reports of inconsistent quality and durability issues, even if I wasn't really going to skate them.

biggietoms

• Rep: 8
  • take acid
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 10:12:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you mean these from '96 or so, I had a pair of those and they sucked. Hurt my feet and totally inferior to what Etnies had out at the time (Sal 23s, Screws, Raps).

I've gone back and forth with almost pulling the trigger on a pair of Half Cabs, Stage 4, TnTs, etc a few times but in the end I just end up passing them up for other shoes. Too many reports of inconsistent quality and durability issues, even if I wasn't really going to skate them.

nah im talkin bout the ones from the early/mid 2000's....if i recall it was scott kanes shoe or double pro modelor sum shit. they look sick

http://www.kateskates.co.uk/pics/rotate/Vans/2147362587/Spin/imageslarge/IMG_6196.JPG

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 01:16:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pull the trigger man. The past few vans that I've skated haven't had any durability issues or defects. They get pretty floppy, but they're still wearable after that. The new pro insoles are reaaaal nice though.  And if there's anything wrong with the shoe, vans will replace it; they're under warranty.