Author Topic: SF Pals with Information  (Read 701 times)

DMH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
SF Pals with Information
« on: April 01, 2013, 09:05:20 PM »
So, guys.... I'm in the process of acquiring an internship in SF for the summer, perhaps with High Speed Productions (Thrasher/Slap/Juxtapoz), and I'm trying to get some leads on places to live for the summer. Just thought I'd put a feeler out there and see if any SF PALS are looking to sublet, know somebody who is, or might just have a couch that a clean dude could crash on for a while. I don't have a ton of money, but I'm trying to make it work with what I have.

Also, someone let me know if trying to make this move is a shit idea. SF seems like the place for a guy like me, and I have some decent skills. I'm just going to try and do this thing.

noone1234

• Rep: -36
Re: SF Pals with Information
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:14:16 PM »
rent in sf is sky rocketing and does not look like its dropping anytime soon. also i have a friend who just got laid off at thrasher so good luck. my advice is to find a place in the peninsula close to CalTrain or BART. rent in the peninsula is generally much cheaper than living in the city and without all the hipsters too  ;D

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 10:31:15 PM »
when are you trying to move to sf? i'm subletting my room in may.

shoot me an email:

[email protected]

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 10:43:34 PM »
Just move to Oakland. It is a skateboarding free-for-all (with the exception of house spots, you almost have to try to get yourself kicked out. Even then I have had people totally cool with you skating their houses. Not the case in SF), there is a ton going on, and it is a lot cheaper. If you ask anyone from SF they will say I'm crazy, but that's because they live in a cocoon.

And as far as work goes, the job market out here is really competitive. I wouldn't count on an internship turning into a full-time job unless you are going in uber-skilled at what you are interning for. You have to hustle like crazy to get a legit gig out here. I worked 6 days a week (4 a week at a job and 2 a week at an unpaid internship) for almost 2 years after UC Berkeley, while consistently applying before I got my first 'real job'. The thing you have to realize is that this is a fun place to live - more fun = more people = competition.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:51:17 PM by happenstance »

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 11:35:16 PM »
Have you been in contact with Mike? Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

As far as sublets, it's difficult to get them before you're in the area, and you generally have to jump on them the day they're posted. I spent last week scrambling for a place, but had a few options to choose from in the end. Just moved in today in fact. Just scour Craigslist and hit up as many people as you can. Be aware that it's expensive as fuck and rising. I'm paying $850 for the month I'm in this place.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 05:33:49 AM »
Have you been in contact with Mike? Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

As far as sublets, it's difficult to get them before you're in the area, and you generally have to jump on them the day they're posted. I spent last week scrambling for a place, but had a few options to choose from in the end. Just moved in today in fact. Just scour Craigslist and hit up as many people as you can. Be aware that it's expensive as fuck and rising. I'm paying $850 for the month I'm in this place.

^this guy did the same thing you're doing. listen to him. also check out the various san francisco threads in the travel section.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Goblinshark

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »
Stephen Alcala: chris cole anit a loser
Stephen Alcala: frank grewer is an alcholic
Stephen Alcala: LOSER