Author Topic: HUF shoes  (Read 2132 times)

otzzo

HUF shoes
« on: April 09, 2013, 09:32:27 AM »
Does anyone have something to say about Huf shoes?? Good or bad? I have no idea how they skate but I'm stoked about the brand and their sick team. I have considered to get either Mateos, Genuines or Mortons. How long these last, how fast they brake in etc.
Thanks

october

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 23
Re: HUF shoes
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 09:58:39 AM »
I think the shoes are sick, and the team is great.

But personally, I found the quality of the shoes pretty low. I have had the Plunketts, and Joey Peppers, and neither were anything to write home about. They are average in comfort, break in fairly easy, and tore apart pretty quick for me.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:31:28 AM »
I had the Choices over fall and winter, didn't skate too much so they held up well. They skate and fit well, I'd say go for it if you find a good price.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

otzzo

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »
I think the shoes are sick, and the team is great.

But personally, I found the quality of the shoes pretty low. I have had the Plunketts, and Joey Peppers, and neither were anything to write home about. They are average in comfort, break in fairly easy, and tore apart pretty quick for me.
I had same kind of expectations about the quality of these shoes. It's a bummer because I really want to support Huf..

otzzo

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 10:41:44 AM »
I had the Choices over fall and winter, didn't skate too much so they held up well. They skate and fit well, I'd say go for it if you find a good price.
I skate hard daily so maybe not for me.. I maybe buy pair just for chilling and walking

brokenheadphone

• Rep: -3
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 11:57:58 AM »
I have two pairs, which I haven't skated yet - Huf Pros and 1984s.

The Huf Pros have a wide heel with basically no padding around the ankle, so they don't lock in your heel very well. I also don't like the fact that the shoes aren't roomy enough for an FP insole. The stock insole is thin Eva foam. With lace locks I can minimize the heel slippage but I shouldn't have to do that. Working on getting some thin custom orthotics to fit in the shoes and will try them that way. Overall the shoe seems pretty minimalist and more aesthetic oriented than anything else. The leather is has some kind of toecap underlay but no reinforcement in the ollie area.

The 1984s feel like a shoe Etnies would have done in 1994, but with much less puffiness/padding. The gel insert in the heel is the same as the one DC was using in the Dompierre shoes a couple years back. These feel more like a real skate shoe than the Huf Pros to me. The suede on the shoes themselves is about average for a shoe today - that is, on the thin side. It's definitely not like the thick oiled/treated suede you get on better made shoes. The padding around the ankle collar is very thin, but there is some padding, not like the Huf Pros. Tongue is very thin though. The shoes have enough room for your insole of choice, and the heel locks in a bit better than the Huf Pros, but this could still be improved substantially. Some padding around the ankle like Adidas uses in their shoes to lock in the heel could go a long way toward making the shoes better.

Re: the Peppers, they look great aesthetically, but definitely don't look like something that will hold up for a long time. The ankle is cut so low that I know I would have heel slippage problems with them so I didn't even bother to try them on.

Overall, Huf seems like a company that still needs to work on getting some of the small details right on their shoes. There is no point to nice looking shoe if the fit is off because small details were ignored. I know they're a small company, but at the price point Huf is catering to, they really have no excuse. I'll probably pass on Huf in the future unless they make noticeable improvements.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:00:14 PM by brokenheadphone »

october

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 12:20:07 PM »
I had high expectations for them too, being a "skater owned" shoe company, but it seems they put more emphasis into pleasing Bay Area shoe collectors than skaters.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 02:35:50 PM »
Ive only had choices but theyre my favorite vulc shoe ever. Durability is just like any other vulc shoe in my opinion and they are comfy as fuck.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 02:50:16 PM »
I had high expectations for them too, being a "skater owned" shoe company, but it seems they put more emphasis into pleasing Bay Area shoe collectors than skaters.

Almost little to no one rocks HUF in the Bay area no more as far as shoe collectors go. If any, HUF has turned into that LA brand for skaters and such. I don't think anyone rocks HUFs just to wear.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

micky682

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 03:00:57 PM »
The weight of the shoes are why I stay away from them for skating. They drag me down and it feels like I'm skating in one of those probation ankle bracelets especially with my rolled ankle.

october

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 06:56:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Almost little to no one rocks HUF in the Bay area no more as far as shoe collectors go. If any, HUF has turned into that LA brand for skaters and such. I don't think anyone rocks HUFs just to wear.

Every kid in Berkeley had HUFs when I was there a few months ago. It was ridiculous. Either way, the shoes arent all that great for skating.

Fletschinger

• Rep: 47
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 07:44:14 PM »
I have had the choice a few times. The sole grip is great, but the shoe does mush out really fast.  True to size.  I wanted to get the peppers but the shop only had the navy ones.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 08:02:39 PM »
I have a pair of Choices that I've skated only a handful of times so I can't comment on their durability. I find them really comfortable and come with a great insole.

Camp Grunge

• Rep: -7
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 07:56:31 PM »
Huf seems like a cool company but after trying on some shoes I couldn't see them being very good for hard skating. A guy at a shop was telling me how its run by a bunch d-bag hipsters besides huf himself but who knows

dillanharp

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 08:07:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

De Anza college asian kids love them some Huf. Not the shoes, they're about the Janoski's, but all the other shit.

They're average shoes. I've had a couple pair. The 1984's are favorite.

Tuna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 08:53:34 PM »
i've found that every pair i've had has lasted pretty long, from mortons to mateos to the huppers. My favorite's were choices. Only thing I don't like about them is that when you first skate them I find that the soles feel really thick until you've broken them in.

More durable though than most other skate brands i've had lately.

otzzo

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 12:36:10 AM »
i've found that every pair i've had has lasted pretty long, from mortons to mateos to the huppers. My favorite's were choices. Only thing I don't like about them is that when you first skate them I find that the soles feel really thick until you've broken them in.

Haven't really thought about buying choises but no I'm consider about them too. How long they lasted and how hard did you skate. If shoes last more than 3-4 weeks they should be fine..

micky682

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 01:47:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Haven't really thought about buying choises but no I'm consider about them too. How long they lasted and how hard did you skate. If shoes last more than 3-4 weeks they should be fine..
I've had a pair just sitting around my closet collecting dust, brand new. The pair I skated before lasted me a good month of skating?

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 01:26:18 PM »

I've had Southerns and several pairs of HUF 1 Vulcs:

- Perfect fit.
- True to size: the same as on Vans or Lakai.
- So comfortable: break in quick and not flimsy after some time.
- Pretty good durability: the materials are great and everything is triple stitched.
- The boardfeel is different from other brand's vulcs: once i got used to it I found it great.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 02:47:22 PM »
I skated the Plunkett colorway of the Choices for 2 months. They're great.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.