Author Topic: real confessions  (Read 1739760 times)

nevrwasben

Re: real confessions
« Reply #9600 on: July 17, 2020, 08:28:02 PM »
Hoping L33tg33k is doing well

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #9601 on: July 17, 2020, 09:01:10 PM »
Hoping L33tg33k is doing well
Anybody know him IRL to check up on him?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

iKobrakai

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #9602 on: July 17, 2020, 10:29:24 PM »
I have hair between my balls and thigh. They get all fucked and tangle which causes irritation. Shaving did not work that well.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #9603 on: July 18, 2020, 08:41:19 PM »
Wax on wax of
listen to cosmic psychos

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9604 on: July 19, 2020, 09:15:44 AM »
Wax on wax of

Have a gnar, my dude.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #9605 on: July 19, 2020, 09:36:23 AM »
also thinking of l33t, hope he’s doing okay. also every pal in here who’s depressed as shit cause of a dumpster fire of a time we’re in currently

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #9606 on: July 20, 2020, 04:56:27 PM »
Thinking bout SFB...

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
« Reply #9607 on: July 20, 2020, 09:22:39 PM »
Thinking bout SFB...

I miss SFB, hope they’re doing ok.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1059
« Reply #9608 on: July 21, 2020, 08:52:34 AM »
This is a long story about how I felt like a complete skate-jock and why the brands we generally despise both exist and thrive.

When I first met my S/O years ago, I was skating a lot more and she thought it was cool. At 31, she had never stepped foot on a skateboard in her life. I decided I’d show her the basics at my local skatepark.

We show up and the park is empty. Me, being the horrible teacher that I am, assumed her saying “I’ve never stepped on skateboard” meant she could roll around on flat ground- I was wrong. I leave her to hold a fence to practice balancing. An hour goes by and I'm dusted from skating ledges the entire time. She’s a good sport but was yearning to learn more.

A few days later, I have to travel for work for about two weeks. This was before we lived together and she asked if she could borrow my skateboard to practice. I oblige, leave it at her apartment on the way to the airport and think nothing of it.

Two weeks pass and I arrive home, jet lagged but itching to release some stress by skating around my local. I pick her up, my spare skateboard in trunk and the one she's borrowing in her hand and we go to our local. I’m not paying attention and start warming my legs up with a few runs around the park.

After about 5 minutes, I realize I didn’t leave her on the fence and frantically search to see if she’s fallen. To my total surprise, she is rolling around, going up and down the banks and pushing (not mongo). Albeit it looks sloppy, this is someone who, 2 weeks prior, couldn’t even stand on a board. I’m blown away and impressed, with a hint of admiration as I remember being a chubby 8 year old taking weeks to learn how to stand and roll.

We leave the park and I’m singing her praises, giving verbal accolades about her progress. I innocently ask, “How did you learn so fast?”. Prior to receiving her answer that would turn my morals upside-down, I assumed she was either naturally talented or started banging a dude at the park in exchange for lessons. How wrong I was on all accounts.

Smiling from ear-to-ear, she pulls her phone out and opens the YouTube app. I’m sitting in the parking lot with her, sweat dried on my brow, patiently waiting to see what miraculous video she pulls up that showed her the basics of skateboarding. Was it from Tony Hawk or Eric Koston's trick tips? Possibly a lesser known e-learning channel from a dope company?

No. She pulls up Braille's youtube channel and starts scrolling through all the videos she was looking at- each one with a small red-line below the thumbnail, indicating she's ingested this content like a fiend demolishing a bag of dope. I can't wrap my head around this and am smiling on the outside but screaming on the inside:

"Why is this happening to me? How did I get here? Who is poisoning the well with this content being so easily accessible to the naive skateboarder in the early stages of their journey to Gnardom?"

After about 30 seconds of her scrolling through, my inner skate-jock erupts and I exclaim, "Those videos are so wack. You need to stop looking at them." A flood of emotion and memories took over- blips of flashbacks to conversations between friends, casually talking shit on anything that Thrasher or Transworld's website didn't display in the last decade. Aaron Kyro's bird-like nose poking into frame. 

She's immediately crushed, followed by a wave of being upset with me for judging her - and rightfully so. I believe the first thing she said was, "Oh, I didn't realize you were the mayor of Cool's Ville and Braille is jean overalls". That immediately put me in check. Who was I to dictate what is or isn't cool? What gave me the impression that I was aware, at all, of what should be considered 'hip' or 'lame'? How did I get to the point from my humble beginnings in skateboarding, where I was the little kid being bullied by the older crew for my Wet Willy deck to being the kook who judged someone so quickly?

This was followed by one of our first and only fights in our years-long relationship. At the end of it, I submitted, admitted I was in the wrong and told her my opinion should not ruin the tools which helped her begin to skate. To this day though, every time a reference to anything Braille or Revive pops up, I instinctually clench my jaw and remember the day I was the skateboard jock.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1932
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9609 on: July 21, 2020, 09:25:03 AM »
This is a long story about how I felt like a complete skate-jock and why the brands we generally despise both exist and thrive.

When I first met my S/O years ago, I was skating a lot more and she thought it was cool. At 31, she had never stepped foot on a skateboard in her life. I decided I’d show her the basics at my local skatepark.

We show up and the park is empty. Me, being the horrible teacher that I am, assumed her saying “I’ve never stepped on skateboard” meant she could roll around on flat ground- I was wrong. I leave her to hold a fence to practice balancing. An hour goes by and I'm dusted from skating ledges the entire time. She’s a good sport but was yearning to learn more.

A few days later, I have to travel for work for about two weeks. This was before we lived together and she asked if she could borrow my skateboard to practice. I oblige, leave it at her apartment on the way to the airport and think nothing of it.

Two weeks pass and I arrive home, jet lagged but itching to release some stress by skating around my local. I pick her up, my spare skateboard in trunk and the one she's borrowing in her hand and we go to our local. I’m not paying attention and start warming my legs up with a few runs around the park.

After about 5 minutes, I realize I didn’t leave her on the fence and frantically search to see if she’s fallen. To my total surprise, she is rolling around, going up and down the banks and pushing (not mongo). Albeit it looks sloppy, this is someone who, 2 weeks prior, couldn’t even stand on a board. I’m blown away and impressed, with a hint of admiration as I remember being a chubby 8 year old taking weeks to learn how to stand and roll.

We leave the park and I’m singing her praises, giving verbal accolades about her progress. I innocently ask, “How did you learn so fast?”. Prior to receiving her answer that would turn my morals upside-down, I assumed she was either naturally talented or started banging a dude at the park in exchange for lessons. How wrong I was on all accounts.

Smiling from ear-to-ear, she pulls her phone out and opens the YouTube app. I’m sitting in the parking lot with her, sweat dried on my brow, patiently waiting to see what miraculous video she pulls up that showed her the basics of skateboarding. Was it from Tony Hawk or Eric Koston's trick tips? Possibly a lesser known e-learning channel from a dope company?

No. She pulls up Braille's youtube channel and starts scrolling through all the videos she was looking at- each one with a small red-line below the thumbnail, indicating she's ingested this content like a fiend demolishing a bag of dope. I can't wrap my head around this and am smiling on the outside but screaming on the inside:

"Why is this happening to me? How did I get here? Who is poisoning the well with this content being so easily accessible to the naive skateboarder in the early stages of their journey to Gnardom?"

After about 30 seconds of her scrolling through, my inner skate-jock erupts and I exclaim, "Those videos are so wack. You need to stop looking at them." A flood of emotion and memories took over- blips of flashbacks to conversations between friends, casually talking shit on anything that Thrasher or Transworld's website didn't display in the last decade. Aaron Kyro's bird-like nose poking into frame. 

She's immediately crushed, followed by a wave of being upset with me for judging her - and rightfully so. I believe the first thing she said was, "Oh, I didn't realize you were the mayor of Cool's Ville and Braille is jean overalls". That immediately put me in check. Who was I to dictate what is or isn't cool? What gave me the impression that I was aware, at all, of what should be considered 'hip' or 'lame'? How did I get to the point from my humble beginnings in skateboarding, where I was the little kid being bullied by the older crew for my Wet Willy deck to being the kook who judged someone so quickly?

This was followed by one of our first and only fights in our years-long relationship. At the end of it, I submitted, admitted I was in the wrong and told her my opinion should not ruin the tools which helped her begin to skate. To this day though, every time a reference to anything Braille or Revive pops up, I instinctually clench my jaw and remember the day I was the skateboard jock.

Love the story, entirely relatable if your friend or lady pick up skateboarding later in life. When my wife first tried skateboarding she insisted on wearing pads which to me was totally unacceptable. Getting broken off and bruised was the price of admission to our club. Unfortunately not everyone is lucky enough to pick it up when they are young and can bounce back quickly from a sprain or fracture. An injury at an older age can seriously mess up your career or vitality for the rest of your life. Plus it can turn you off a sport you were just getting into.

Braille is horrible but I'm happy the quality of instructional skate videos has improved greatly over the years. Willy Santos Trick Tips was shit and I won't stop talking shit on it. I remember having to buffer the video off the Birdhouse website in 240p and the instructions were so vague.

Put your front foot in the kickflip position behind the bolts
Pop your board and drag your foot like you're doing an ollie
Flick of the toe makes it happen
Catch the board on the griptape side up
Land on the bolts
Roll away

I'm happy that people picking up skateboarding have so much access to quality videos that help them improve rapidly and get over the frustration hurdle faster. 
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #9610 on: July 21, 2020, 09:27:40 AM »

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #9611 on: July 21, 2020, 02:15:30 PM »
Despite the fact there are plenty of turn arounds in classic parts... I just cringe any time I see one. Would rather see a switch 180 or a halfcab or anything else... or just follow it with a switch trick.

Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -331
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9612 on: July 21, 2020, 06:04:00 PM »
I've been learning more and more about meditation and mindfulness, I had a breakdown when I was watching a movie that made me sad.

I don't know if this is good feeling or is it releasing of inner turmoil from being cooped up to everything being turned upside down stress all that shit has kinda been zapped out of me, I feel complete.
Dueces Bitch's

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 804
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #9613 on: July 22, 2020, 03:05:23 PM »

Thank you for sharing this in-depth and deeply relatable experience. I get on my skateboarding soapbox from time to time and humble myself by remembering that I was introduced to the awesomeness of skateboarding through the THPS games, which the generation before me probably thinks is "wack".
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1932
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9614 on: July 22, 2020, 07:02:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Thank you for sharing this in-depth and deeply relatable experience. I get on my skateboarding soapbox from time to time and humble myself by remembering that I was introduced to the awesomeness of skateboarding through the THPS games, which the generation before me probably thinks is "wack".

Same, X-Games on ESPN
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9615 on: July 22, 2020, 11:36:25 PM »
Despite the fact there are plenty of turn arounds in classic parts... I just cringe any time I see one. Would rather see a switch 180 or a halfcab or anything else... or just follow it with a switch trick.

This. Also I hate when somebody is doing a line and let's say they do a nollie flip and then hit a ledge or rail regular

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
« Reply #9616 on: July 24, 2020, 06:23:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's a good story. Laughed at your wife's witty comment.

My cousin who's getting back into skating told me that he's been watching Aaron Kyro/Braille videos for reference. I politely explained Kyro's Scientologist leanings to him and he wasn't impressed.

On a non-skate-related note, I want to confess that I've never thrown a party for anyone before in my entire life, and it really sucks. It makes me feel really antisocial. The opportunity hasn't ever come up, as unbelievable as that sounds. I'm looking forward to having kids just because of that.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9617 on: July 24, 2020, 05:22:14 PM »
This. Also I hate when somebody is doing a line and let's say they do a nollie flip and then hit a ledge or rail regular

is there a rationale to your beef here cuz i don’t get it
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9618 on: July 24, 2020, 09:16:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There must be switch in there...

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9619 on: July 24, 2020, 10:07:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There must be switch in there...

got it . didn’t read the previous posts . i was gonna agree just on the fact i hate nollie flips in lines . it somehow gets a pass but it’s just as bad as a reg kickflip in a line imo
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

DA BIG BODY BENZ

« Reply #9620 on: July 26, 2020, 06:57:21 PM »
Also anything over a 3 trick line is stupid.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #9621 on: July 28, 2020, 12:17:46 AM »

thems are fightin words bro

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #9622 on: July 28, 2020, 07:40:49 PM »

Weird way to admit you can't land 4 tricks consecutively.

DA BIG BODY BENZ

« Reply #9623 on: July 28, 2020, 09:25:23 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Just looks dumb on film, a proper line should consist of a grind, flip trick , grind

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -331
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9624 on: July 29, 2020, 08:29:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Flip trick, to 180 variation to either fakie or switch grind,  flip trick to either banger or slide variation.  Lines are sick but I get that perspective of too much is too much.

Say for example mirrored slide tricks with a flip trick in between looks rad then a heavy one looks sick.
Dueces Bitch's

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #9625 on: July 30, 2020, 04:03:33 AM »

this was great lol. thank you for sharing

I feel like I have had a very similar experience with my girlfriend of almost 2 years getting interested in skating and learning how to skate. I have watched her ingest some terribly cringy youtube skaters but have luckily bit my tongue most of the time for the same reasons you kinda elaborated on. I am just happy she has any interest in skating at all

Grind King Rims

« Reply #9626 on: July 30, 2020, 05:01:11 AM »
Hooked up twice recently with a guy 33 years my senior. He's very nice, the sex is great and we get along fine, but I don't know if I'll continue hooking up with him because he's from a very different socioeconomic class than me. Aside from his main profession, he's a landlord. He owns several properties while I'm on just above living wage and rent a house with 4 other people. I end up feeling kind of pathetic in a lot of conversations with him, so I might just jack off and go to the gym instead. Saves time and travel costs.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #9627 on: July 30, 2020, 08:23:11 AM »
Just make sure to jack off after the gym, not before or during.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Grind King Rims

« Reply #9628 on: July 31, 2020, 03:07:00 AM »
Nah bro you gotta keep edging all the way through your workout. The testosterone boost will help you get your Personal Best's. Then if you get a good pump and a new PB, you reward yourself in the shower by finishing.

C'mon widdit, do you even lift?

Grind King Rims

« Reply #9629 on: July 31, 2020, 03:08:22 AM »
To be serious though, after I heard Jerry Hsu talking about never jacking off before a skate session, I've never been able to get that out of my head, and I really think if I jack off before going skating / going to the gym, it won't be as good.