Author Topic: Emerica "The Reynolds" Review  (Read 6439 times)

Will Easley

Emerica "The Reynolds" Review
« on: May 07, 2013, 06:09:17 PM »

So here we are. As the competition in the shoe market only gets harder as Emerica has heard tons of outcry from long-time costumers over shoes with bad suede, defect soles that fall off, & lack of variety between models, they've decided to step it up with this new "Higher Quality" campaign, lead by shoes like the G6 & now, The Reynolds. A pro-model midtop cupsole is definitely something we haven't seen from Emerica within the past few years, so I'm sure many are wondering how these things actually skate. Well, Reynolds himself has stated that these are "his best shoes ever" and he isn't lying. These shoes are a direct response to much of the criticism Emerica's received over years, as well as a breath of fresh air to a genre that's been lacking diversity in the skate shoe market these days.

This review is gonna be split into 5 categories. Appearance, Fit/Comfort, Support, Skateability, and Durability. So let's get started.

Appearance

Very simple design with a few aesthetic touches in the back heel area. I think the simple design is a plus for this shoe because it provides a more conservative alternative for those who don't wanna skate in something flashy like dunks or skytops, which is pretty much this shoe's main competition. The grey areas in the back & top of the tongue are made with some "reflective" material but its not something that really draws much attention. Yeah its reflective but only when you happen to see it at a certain angle with the right lighting. 90% of the time it just looks like grey suede or leather. I've really only noticed it when they're laying on the floor & I happen to see em out of the corner of my eye. It's a small aesthetic touch but its not like it's overly "shiny" or anything like that. If you're wearing jeans they look your typical black suede shoe, as seen with any of Reynolds recent footage where he's wearing them. I'll give em an 8/10 for a simple design that doesnt look super generic.

Fit/Comfort

First things first these things fit true to size and are fairly wide. If you have generally normal feet they'll fit perfect, but if you have really wide feet you may or may not want to get half a size bigger but that's more of a personal preference. The sock liner will keep your foot securely in place while there's still a little breathing room within the rest of the shoe to wiggle your toes n all that good shit. The padded mesh side panel & tongue give this shoe very good breathability. Mind you I skated these for 2 weeks straight (with at least 2 hour sessions) in Phoenix, Arizona so I figure that's saying something. I only got super sweaty feet on the hottest of days & the longest of sessions. The insole is your typical foam insert that really isnt anything special, but I guess they do their job. You may wanna put in your own insole if you find these lacking. These shoes aren't "OMG THEY'RE LIKE WALKING ON PILLOWS" comfortable but they're easy on your feet. I wanted to keep everything stock so I didn't try any other insoles so if you have your own lil Kingfoams or some shit that may be a different story. They're a lighter shoe (for it's class) that fits comfortably enough & the sockliner keeps your foot in place just enough to be secure without restricting inside foot room. A solid 8/10.

Here's a close up of the comfy mesh side panel & tongue

Support

Here comes the fun stuff. Obviously if you're skating a midtop cupsole you're looking for support, so this is one of the more important categories of the review. Let's start with the collar. I think online pictures make the shoe look a little taller than it really is. I compared them side by side and The Reynolds are about the same height as a Dunk Mid with the back slightly lower but the front slightly higher. It'll just barely cover your ankle, giving you the best balance of protection and range of motion. As for impact support, the red foam-like footbed built into the sole is gonna be doing the most work, as the insoles are pretty basic. When jumping down small to medium sized gaps (1-7 stairs) they do their job very well. I jumped down a handful of gaps around this size with a couple "trying over n over n over until you get it" ordeals & my feet never bothered me. Of course you're gonna feel the impact but it doesn't actually hurt, even after several attempts. For most this should be sufficient, but if you plan on backside flipping your local 10 stair I'd suggest switching up the insoles just to be safe. So despite having an unimpressive insole, the footbed does its job well and the collar of the shoe is protective without restricting movement. 8.5/10, probably even higher with a better insole.

Here's some pictures of the insoles, sockliner, & a peek at the footbed.

Skateability

Man these things skate like a fucking charm! The sole will take a little while to break in for some, but I think mashing down that inner footbed is the key. I've had a few people ask me about breaking them in, and I assure you, with enough work the sole will loosen up just fine. Boardfeel is what you would expect from your typical cupsole shoe. Pictures make the sole look kinda thick, but boardfeel isnt an issue once broken in.

The toe shape isn't super pointy but the subtle curve from along the side panel up to the toecap makes this shoe really good for flicking kickflips n whatnot. I'm normally a heelflipper but I did ALOT of kickflips in this shoe to the point where I almost feel more confident with those than my heelflips. And that's saying something! Part of that was my durability struggle (more on that soon) but they just feel really good to do in this shoe. No fairy-footed, tip-of-the-toe kickflips. Really strong, powerful kickflips that use more than half your foot. They feel so nice in this shoe forreal. The grip is what you would expect from some pseudo-wafflegrip, which is pretty good and durable. I also love the fact that you dont really get rocks stuck in the grip patterns or anything, so that's a plus as well. As far as skateability goes, these shoes are the shit. They feel really good to skate once broken in, the grip is solid, and I love the flick. An easy 9/10 for me.

Here's a close up of the grip in case you haven't seen it yet. Note the lil window of the footbed & the "skid panel" on the end of the heel.

Durability

Man this part of the review as a stubborn bitch, and I mean that in the best way possible. I skated em a couple times (with a brand new board/fresh grip just for this review) before I went to Arizona for 2 weeks where I skated just about every day for at least 2 hours at a time. I once skated 2 sessions the same day as well. Basically I just wanted to fuck these shoes up as much as possible. I didn't super-glue the seams or anything like that. Outside of changing the laces once, I didnt do shit to preserve durability. I rubbed my feet into position more than I normally do, I skid on that back heel panel almost every time i wanted to come to a stop, did lil flatground tricks when riding around...I did everything I could to fuck these shoes up, AND THEY STILL LASTED. I swore once I saw the edge of the sole meet with the toecap, I thought I was gonna rip thru it a few days later, and even at the end of this review I still havent. The toecap JUST started to rip 2 days ago on my second brand new board with these shoes. The grip is a little worn down on the toes but more or less the same everywhere else, and despite the fact I've finally started to rip sizable holes into the shoe, I'd say they still have a good 1-2 more weeks of life in them. Even moreso had I been super-glueing them like many people do. I aint the type to skate really haggard shoes if I can help it, but if you're more likely to do than myself these shoes will last you a LOOOONNNNG time.  I can't put an exact number on the time I spent skating these but I can confidently say it was anywhere between 25-30 hours of hard skateboarding. 20 Hours is the standard used by Ripped Laces, if you need something to compare that to. The toecap has 3 different layers. The outer suede, reinforced underlayer, and the grey foamish material on the inside. I will say that the seam between the side panel & toecap was the first to develop a major hole, but even then there's that reinforced layer so it wasnt like it was bothersome once it happened. Same with the seams on the heel Durability gets a strong 9/10 overall, but I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking.

Conclusion

When you think of the "best" midtop cupsole shoes, how many immediately come to mind? Dunks? Skytop 3's? Ceiro Mids & Telfords? Then there's......well that's about it really. When you compare the amount of viable options between midtop cupsoles and say, lowtop vulc shoes, there's a BIG difference in the amount of good models you have to choose from. So props to Emerica for making a shoe for a market that's generally lacking in that regard, as well as giving skaters a more "toned-down" alternative compared to most other models in the category, which are generally on the flashier side. I also think The Reynolds is the perfect shoe for the man himself. Much like a Busenitz Pro, Nike P-Rod, or even Dylan's Gravis shoe, The Reynolds truly feels like something The Boss would be frontside flipping some double set in. Only time will tell if they become another "classic" pro model shoe, but at the end of the day these shoes do what they're made to do and perform well while adding another strong option in a class of shoes that's certainly lacking selection. Overall I give The Reynolds a solid 9 out of 10. Higher Quality for sure.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:43:29 PM by Will Easley »

Jack Hoffe

Re: Emerica "The Reynolds" Review
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:11:25 PM »
DID YOU TAKE THOSE PICTURES WITH A HAM SANDWICH ??

ZEBRA

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:36:30 PM »
Good review. Your shoes actually look like they went to war. I'm excited for the low-top.

I know you said you skated these at least 25-30 hours, but over how long of a time span?? 1 month?? 5 weeks??

Will Easley

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 07:51:08 PM »
Good review. Your shoes actually look like they went to war. I'm excited for the low-top.

I know you said you skated these at least 25-30 hours, but over how long of a time span?? 1 month?? 5 weeks??

I got them on April 15th, skated them about 3-4 times before I left to go to Arizona on the 22nd, skated them almost every day (only missed one) until the 2nd when flew back home. Then I skated them 3 times on a new board. Today was my last day.

the snake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 10:56:21 PM »
good review sk8dood, these soles look indestructible, will buy if i have the opportunity

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 07:35:25 AM »
These shoes are no joke. They have lasted at least twice as long as my g6. I started skating em on 4/1 with a new board for at least an hour a day, every other day of the week, and other than discoloration and missing rubber on the toe, they look new. It really is blowing me away at how durable they are. I want red ones.

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 09:07:56 AM »
Yeah good review! Keep 'em coming. 

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 09:43:59 AM »
I love it when people actually take time to make reviews like that one !

Ripped Laces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • Dude, this is america. There are idiots everywhere
    • Ripped Laces = Shoe reviews, product reviews & more avatar image
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »
Awesome fucking review Will.

Good shit!

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »
Quality review! Everything about this shoe looks great.

Will Easley

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 11:46:15 AM »
Thanks yall! Wouldn't have been possible if Emerica hadn't made such a great shoe. If anyone's got any other questions that werent answered in the review just ask.

Hannity

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 07:33:55 AM »
hell yea will, great job on pictures and details, i normally don't read your posts but i'm glad i checked this one out, this shoe's too good to pass up on. supergluing my seams for sure tho

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 08:56:37 PM »
hyped for the lows fa sho.

escapistfool

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 11:42:28 PM »
Awesome fucking review Will.

Good shit!
You gotta put this up on the site, Jeremy! Will did a great review.

chud

• Rep: 0
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »
Thanks for the review.  Good job.  Gonna pick up a pair of these now.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 03:50:30 PM »
so the new emerica waffle-grip gets a thumbs up? comparable to vans?

a good sticky grip is my main criteria when getting a shoe... i've stuck with vans for awhile for this reason, but these newer emerica's are looking good.

Will Easley

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 04:56:36 PM »
so the new emerica waffle-grip gets a thumbs up? comparable to vans?

a good sticky grip is my main criteria when getting a shoe... i've stuck with vans for awhile for this reason, but these newer emerica's are looking good.

yeah they're pretty much the same. The grip alllll good.

shredbuffalo

• Rep: -43
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 05:13:21 PM »
That was a good review. I'm considering getting a pair of these. Thanks.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 06:25:57 PM »
Good stuff Weasley

Best part about this shoe is the mesh breathable tongue and inner, why it took so long for companies to do this I'll never know

Durability: 7
Grip: 9
Appearance: 6

I'd give them a solid 8 overall, the Herman g6's just look way cooler