Author Topic: Who wants to help me with some shoes?  (Read 2428 times)

Hash Slinging Slasher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
Who wants to help me with some shoes?
« on: May 19, 2013, 07:38:50 AM »
For some reason I have absolutely no idea what I want for a shoe anymore. In the past I've had Nike Janoskis, cupsole Blazer Lows, and some random pairs of shitty vans that I was able to skate like once basically. Right now I have a pair of Emerica Laceds and Nike Blazer Mid cupsoles lying around and both are really comfortable but the Laceds are too flimsy and the Blazers are a bit too bulky. I liked both the Janoskis for having just enough cushion and the Blazers Lows for being reeeeally comfortable, but I also don't want to be riding the Nike train anymore. Any recommendations? I don't think I need a cup sole, but it doesn't matter to me too much. Shoes that are primarily suede only please.  I would even be more ok with wearing Adidas, just as a head's up.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Who wants to help me with some shoes?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:51:33 AM »
Go to a good skate shop where people there actually skate as in not at the mall.  I'm sure they would be happy to let you try on some shoes

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 08:03:54 AM »
I know and I do have a good local one to go to. I was just looking to narrow it down before going there.

Dick Butkus

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
I recommend these in every thread, but Lakai Mariano's. Just bulky enough, really basic shoe, one piece toecap, great insole.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 03:36:11 PM »
I think koston 1s are the greatest really

If you really don't want to do nikes anymore, huf's low top signature shoe is one of the better skater owned alternatives
It's minimal and definitely not bulky, but for sure not 'flimsy'
feels good on board, looks semi-adult, decent amount of good looking suede options
Plus it's a cup sole, so it doesn't have that fat dumb looking sole that a lot of vulc huf's have

http://www.a51.ca/skateshop/published/publicdata/A51CAA51WEBASYST/attachments/SC/products_pictures/huf_hufnagel_glg_enl.jpg

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 04:01:10 PM »
I'd say the Emerica Reynolds Cruiser. It has a lot of boardfeel and comfort, but still enough protection to jump down shit. And they're wide enough to stick after-market insoles in if you're into that sort of thing. The flick is perfect on them.

Dick Butkus

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »
I'd say the Emerica Reynolds Cruiser. It has a lot of boardfeel and comfort, but still enough protection to jump down shit. And they're wide enough to stick after-market insoles in if you're into that sort of thing. The flick is perfect on them.

Those were also some of the best shoes I've had.

era

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 04:25:15 PM »
Find some Gravis filters for cheap online.  They will treat you well.

svilleantigo

• Rep: 61
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 04:30:24 PM »
3rded reynolds cruisers, just got done with a pair, i was gonna keep em for chill shoes but they got a lot better once i broke them in a bit. old skool pros or lakai picos too maybe, based on what you seem to like

Twig88

• Rep: 10
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
Lakai Pico with the new SWS insoles feel really good. Personally hated the Reynolds cruiser, the heel has next to no hold so i couldn't get them to stay on my feet properly. I think adidas Lucas feel kind of like Janoskis but more solid when needed (though they look and are constructed completely differently).

Dick Butkus

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 04:46:43 PM »
Lakai Pico with the new SWS insoles feel really good. Personally hated the Reynolds cruiser, the heel has next to no hold so i couldn't get them to stay on my feet properly. I think adidas Lucas feel kind of like Janoskis but more solid when needed (though they look and are constructed completely differently).

Are you talking about the vulc or cupsole pico?

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 08:07:05 PM »
I skated in the emericas and I might just roll with them for now. I'm just worried one or both of my ankles are going to die seeing as the heelcups in them have completely fallen apart inside the shoe. So what little support there might have been at one time is completely gone now. Has anyone else had this problem with the laceds?

LambShank

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 06:31:10 AM »
i had the exact same problem with the laced and i think that skating and walking around in them for so long with the busted heel is what spawned all of my current foot issues. I've since upgraded to vans stage fours (Chris Pfanner) and then a pair of era pros and both have treated my feet better and allowed them to heal up a bit.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 06:40:58 AM »
i had the exact same problem with the laced and i think that skating and walking around in them for so long with the busted heel is what spawned all of my current foot issues. I've since upgraded to vans stage fours (Chris Pfanner) and then a pair of era pros and both have treated my feet better and allowed them to heal up a bit.
so what you're saying is that i should ditch them?

LambShank

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 06:52:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
so what you're saying is that i should ditch them?

i guess it depends on how your feet feel while you're skating in them now and how they feel afterwards. i skated mine too long because i didnt want to waste the money and it came back to bite me in the ass. if you really like skating in them it may not be a bad idea to keep them around for slappy/miniramp sessions where you're just goofing off or cruising and upgrading to something a bit more supportive (or at least something that isnt dilaptidated) for heavier sessions.
just be careful with them i suppose

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 11:30:56 AM »
I had the same problem as you, no shoes look good anymore, nothing gets me excited. but i decided to step out of my comfort all suede vans zone and got canvas CTS and i dont regret it at all.

Twig88

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 01:41:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The Vulc ones. They have the new Shoes We Skate gel insoles which feel really good to me (I had them in Marcs). Only problem (for me) is Lakai don't seem to just do a basic colourway. No black/white or black/gum.

Twig88

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 01:49:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The Vulc ones. They have the new Shoes We Skate gel insoles which feel really good to me (I had them in Marcs). Only problem (for me) is Lakai don't seem to just do a basic colourway. No black/white or black/gum.

Aside from this recommendation, I'm in the same boat. I currently have some Janoskis and even though the suede is so thin, they feel the best on a board. Something about the Vulc they use is perfect. I would rather not ride Nikes and i'd rather have a bit more of a solid heel cup/a little more support but i love how narrow they are in the heel, i have skinny feet and extra skinny ankles. I'll take any recommendations.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 02:02:38 PM »
Ok, first of all, thanks everyone for the recommendations. I tried on Adidas Lucas Pros, some Hufs, there weren't any Cruisers in my size, and the Lakai Marcs, and some various Vans before I finally decided on the Elijah Berle Sk8 Hi. I'm sure I'll get people saying Vans are shit or whatever, but these feel good and the insole seems decent too with the pro upgrades on the shoe. Also, I'd like it to be known it took me like almost two hours to decide on a pair of shoes. It sucked.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 02:04:20 PM by Hash Slinging Slasher »

Dick Butkus

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 05:15:49 PM »
Ok, first of all, thanks everyone for the recommendations. I tried on Adidas Lucas Pros, some Hufs, there weren't any Cruisers in my size, and the Lakai Marcs, and some various Vans before I finally decided on the Elijah Berle Sk8 Hi. I'm sure I'll get people saying Vans are shit or whatever, but these feel good and the insole seems decent too with the pro upgrades on the shoe. Also, I'd like it to be known it took me like almost two hours to decide on a pair of shoes. It sucked.

Let  me know how you like those, they look really good.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 07:53:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Let  me know how you like those, they look really good.
I haven't skated them at all yet, but here are some pictures of stuff that matters

First off, the insole

I've never had Sk8 His before so I don't know if this is something they all have but it's a leather patch that I think has a little bit of padding in it to protect the top of your foot

And lastly, the grey strip of rubber between the white is the Duracap. The Vans website makes it seems like it's in the toecap as well but I'm not sure about that. I don't know if it'll actually make any difference but I'll have to see.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 01:41:42 PM »
ive always wanted to try em but i think it would be harder to flick since theyre hi's, how does that work out for you?

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 03:13:46 PM »
ive always wanted to try em but i think it would be harder to flick since theyre hi's, how does that work out for you?
I don't know. I fuckin' suck. They're probably fine though. It's not like they're really rigid or anything.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 03:18:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I don't know. I fuckin' suck

Dont we all... i found out by going fast i can get away with doing kickflips and front shuvs forever.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 03:27:12 PM »
Also, this one's for Dick Butkus: So far I like these shoes. Maybe more than any shoes prior to these, or I could have been just been having a "good" day. I can't really attest to the durability yet since I only skated for around two hours. I find them to be really comfortable and they felt pretty perfect without even having to break them in. Grip is waffle, so you know it's good. Also, I felt way more confident skating in these than any other shoes. I feel like my ankles kind of just flop around when I skate normally so my board just does whatever the hell it wants, but the added support helped so much. After a few hours of skating, I do recommend them.

Dick Butkus

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 04:07:20 PM »
Also, this one's for Dick Butkus: So far I like these shoes. Maybe more than any shoes prior to these, or I could have been just been having a "good" day. I can't really attest to the durability yet since I only skated for around two hours. I find them to be really comfortable and they felt pretty perfect without even having to break them in. Grip is waffle, so you know it's good. Also, I felt way more confident skating in these than any other shoes. I feel like my ankles kind of just flop around when I skate normally so my board just does whatever the hell it wants, but the added support helped so much. After a few hours of skating, I do recommend them.

thx boo  :-*

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3335
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 04:19:58 PM »
Kelly can help...or can she?!

• Rep: 12
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 05:09:47 PM »
Kelly can help...or can she?!

yes yes yes!!!!!!!!!!!