Author Topic: Portland visit  (Read 1145 times)

43s&slappies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Portland visit
« on: May 19, 2013, 08:29:41 PM »
I'm from Tempe and I'm staying with family here in Portland for a week to look at colleges for a transfer next fall.
Any recommendations on shops, parks, and spots would be appreciated,
and even sicker would be if any pals are down to meet up for a session (I'm here til friday)

thanks folks

bust.factor

• Rep: 20
  • Madvillain Bistro Bed and Breakfast Bar and Grill
Re: Portland visit
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 08:33:33 PM »
check out shrunken head skateshop!

The Human Condom

• Rep: 45
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 08:54:26 PM »
Portland has so many spots and parks.  When I visited my sister there a couple months ago I skated 11 different parks in three days.  There's probably about two dozen good parks in the greater Portland area.  Definitely a great city if you love transitions.
-Every time I take a trip up I make it a point to visit Burnside.  It's a good place to measure your skills and how much you've progressed.  Can't match that vibe.  Super burly and gnarly locals.  Great to skate when it's raining. 
-There's also a small indoor park called Commonwealth with a slippery concrete bowl. 
-One of the best parks I've ever skated is Ed Benedict skate plaza.  Good flow and size for a street park.  I think some of the ledges were made of marble or granite too!  Absolutely a must hit destination with a wealth of fun obstacles.
-Pier park is a nice park with a full pipe.
-Glenhaven has some sweet brick banks, but it's next to a high school.  So make sure to get a session in before class is out and rush hour.
-You could spend days just rolling around downtown Portland and spot hunting.  I found a bunch of fun stuff near the Jeld-Wen Field soccer stadium. 
There's all these free water fountains called bubblers everywhere in the city which are great when you're thirsty and wanna prolong your session.
-There's a few good parks in the suburbs of Beaverton too.  The Beaverton skatepark is cool because it's pretty large and has a conrete section and a wood ramp/banks section.

Check out http://skateportland.org/
Yelp, sk8 park atlas, the concrete disciples are valuable resources too.
I just make sure to do a bunch of research online to plan routes and minimize driving time.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:57:19 PM by The Human Condom »

43s&slappies

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 10:03:55 PM »
hell yeah thanks for getting so in depth with that post! i'm actually staying in beaverton so I'll hit it up tomorrow for sure
psyched on this city in general; the vibe, spots, people, and art are all very sick and different than what i'm used to in az

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 10:17:07 PM »
Along with the aforementioned spots, you should definitely check out Brooklyn Street Skate Spot on SE 16th and Brooklyn. It's weird and fun. I live in Portland, you can email me here: [email protected] if you have any questions about directions or whatever. I might be able to meet up with you at some point during the week, depending on how things go - I'm old so things tend to spring up on me. Hit me up if you want.