Author Topic: why is there not more core shoe brands?  (Read 9030 times)

Will Easley

Re: why is there not more core shoe brands?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 01:40:11 AM »
Core is far too vague a word. I realize that there is a distinction that needs to be made for various elements of a company, but this thread has done nothing but prove how inconsistent people's definitions of the word are.

Powdered Toast Man!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2013, 02:19:56 AM »
casta propaganda from guadalajara mex have been holding it down for a couple of years already
i had a pair which lasted me around 3 months and skated really comfortable!
theyre super decent and it feels good to support a grassroots mexican brand that brings good looking shoes to the table and actually seem to know what they're doing (at least when it comes to the mexican skate shoe history)
i have no idea if it concerns the topic, i just felt like sharing this
stoked!

http://www.castapropaganda.com.mx/producto.php?id=75&subcategoria=11&categoria=4

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2013, 02:43:55 AM »
casta propaganda from guadalajara mex have been holding it down for a couple of years already
theyre super decent and it feels good to support a grassroots mexican brand that brings good looking shoes to the table and actually seem to know what they're doing (at least when it comes to the mexican skate shoe history)
stoked!

http://www.castapropaganda.com.mx/producto.php?id=75&subcategoria=11&categoria=4

i like these

http://www.castapropaganda.com.mx/producto.php?subcategoria=9&categoria=4

MFLUDER

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2013, 04:50:58 AM »
Oligopoly - high barriers to entry.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2013, 05:31:02 AM »
stoked!

I wasn't aware of these but it's good to see there are people out there pushing their own thing. Not sure if people have seen these but I thought I'd throw it out there.
http://servantfootwear.com/

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2013, 05:56:41 AM »
stoked!

Not sure how well or long the sole would hold up gripwise, but these look sick and vaguely different from the big skate shoe company boat shoes.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2013, 06:21:48 AM »
there is also Rid shoes from Mexico- its dope how Mexico has their own industry.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2013, 06:51:13 AM »
Doesn't the making of a sole cost like 50.000 dollars?
I'm pretty sure it does...

DC was pretty core when the just started out.

And the syntax, boxer, plug, all had the exact same soles. I heard that was because they wanted to push back production costs. Nevertheless Boxers are one of my favorite skateshoes ever. They looked awesome and lasted forever.

Supra are core? Well, they're down for skateboarding but they also do anything to get picked up by "hipsters" and they make shoes that are not exactly intended for skating > NS line > Spectre (say what you want but getting lil' wayne in is not exactly core...) > and that Kanye West looking Falcon thing...

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 07:28:11 AM »
The Dekline River shoes are really good. Anyone looking for a good thin shoe should try them out. I really used to skate the Reynolds Cruisers a lot but it seems they changed their soles in the last couple of seasons.

they dont have the "Fusion" technology anymore... the Reynolds Cruiser Fusion was so damn amazing!

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 07:37:42 AM »
The Dekline River shoes are really good. Anyone looking for a good thin shoe should try them out. I really used to skate the Reynolds Cruisers a lot but it seems they changed their soles in the last couple of seasons.

Yeah those deklines are nice.

Skating in those right now. black/black

rulletull

• Rep: -36
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2013, 07:39:01 AM »
?US out of brazil. http://www.ous.com.br/blog/

Jack Hoffe

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2013, 10:04:21 AM »
the last molds (the bottom outsole part of the shoe) can run 15 grand just for that.    It doesn't matter because you have the big guys in the game now and no new ''core'' brand would last unless there is a shift in buyer mentality, which there won't be.  NIKE SB FO LIFE KID !!  pfffft.

JBones

• Rep: -88
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2013, 10:36:48 AM »
People start new board companies left and right, but theres only really 3 core shoe companies (lakai, emerica, supra) that dont make bad shoes. Is it more of a money issue than making boards is?

Because every single pair of Nike, Adidas and Cons shoes a skater buys we get further and further away from that happening anymore.

Sure, it's nice to have so many options these days, but that comes with a painful price to our industry.

I remember when all we had was Vans, Airwalk, and Etnies in the shops and in the catalogs, and sometimes you'd see Simple shoes and the first veggie shoes Zero-Two, it was maybe 2 or 3 pages of shoes tops, and that even felt like one too many brands trying to compete. Then Duffs, Es, Emerica, Osiris, DC and DVS entered the game. We had come along way from Chuck Taylors & Vans Authentics, but at least most of the brands were all skater owned.
One thing leads to the next and the big athletic companies started to notice how much $$ skateboarding was pulling in on the shoe side of the business, especially when skate shoes ended up on non-skater feet. You'd already saw some people skate Puma Clydes, Adidas Superstars shell toes and Chuck Taylor's anyways. So one thing leads to the next and the tables turn, now seeing a guy skate what you'd call a "core" skate shoe brand it's like it was back in the early 90's when we saw a skater skate a Puma or Adidas, it's "rare". It's fucking weird, and honestly makes me feel nauseous when I stop and think about it, so I try not to.
Sure I hate it...but I understand that business is marketing and marketing is $$$.
And for myself it get's harder and harder to find a good inexpensive vegan shoe, specially when I only try to support skater owned brands. Coming from the days of $30 Vans, spending $60-$70 on canvas shoes in 2013 sucks.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:45:21 AM by JBones »

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2013, 11:07:58 AM »
I think these guys have some great looking shoes and wish they were available in the US

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2013, 12:08:09 PM »
more examples:

http://www.landoculture.com/

EDIT: these look actually really good! the premium collection is made in europe. check this out:

http://www.sykum.com/

mike v jesus shoes of course:

http://servantfootwear.com/

does anyone know if fidel is still up and running?

never had any of these, just throwing this out there.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 12:15:24 PM by Frank »

Buddha

• Rep: -205
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2013, 01:37:51 PM »
These are pretty core........if you're into Tai chi.

bikesandboobs

• Rep: -7
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2013, 01:41:36 PM »
There will be, wait, you will see. If you support some of the major companies they will be able to pay there pros good amounts of money so that they will be ones to start up companies. Just look at what pros one the east coast, guy that have been looked over for years are doing? Just you wait, I have heard all sorts of ideas coming around kid!

Jack Hoffe

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2013, 01:54:20 PM »
There will be, wait, you will see. If you support some of the major companies they will be able to pay there pros good amounts of money so that they will be ones to start up companies. Just look at what pros one the east coast, guy that have been looked over for years are doing? Just you wait, I have heard all sorts of ideas coming around kid!

ala Brian Andersons new project...

its gonna be like when all those seltzer companies popped up back in the day (clearly canadian) and pepsi made crystal pepsi.  It was like, pffttt yea right pepsi get out of here with that corpo crap! 

bikesandboobs

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2013, 02:19:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ala Brian Andersons new project...

its gonna be like when all those seltzer companies popped up back in the day (clearly canadian) and pepsi made crystal pepsi.  It was like, pffttt yea right pepsi get out of here with that corpo crap! 

When brand like WRLD makes shoes it put money into the hand of skaters that are going to go out there and in a few years take back the industry that was once theirs to begin with. Large companies are in the end going to make skateboarding small again? ya feel me?

Will Easley

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2013, 02:28:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think these guys have some great looking shoes and wish they were available in the US

yeah out of all the international core brands posted in here these are by far my favorite. Im really likin those mids

bikesandboobs

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2013, 02:36:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Same, I'm skating the black/white ones and will definitely grab another pair, maybe the Masons, too.

Dekline is huge in my area, just as many people wear them as Nike here. I think it's because they flow a couple of dudes who skate for the local shop. Shit, I even see dudes wear Vox.
Not trying to be a jerk but the truth of the matter is that Dekline suck and don't support there skaters. DVS has been supporting Torrey for years, WRLD is taking care of its team, DC know how to treat Josh, cons you can forget about and we all know what Lakai did to Koston

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2013, 03:45:17 PM »
I want to like/support Huf, but am I the onyl one who finds their shoes to be ugly as shit?

I'll stick with Emerica for now.

Steyv Seynystyr hyhy

• Rep: -3
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »

this is some "core" shoes for yall

stepfather666

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »
They started as a clothing brand so i'm not sure how "core" you can say they are, but Duane Peters and Jason Adams are doing shoes out of Iron Fist, and they look pretty sick

SkateViolence

• Rep: 9
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2013, 05:12:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Same, I'm skating the black/white ones and will definitely grab another pair, maybe the Masons, too.

Dekline is huge in my area, just as many people wear them as Nike here. I think it's because they flow a couple of dudes who skate for the local shop. Shit, I even see dudes wear Vox.
[close]
Not trying to be a jerk but the truth of the matter is that Dekline suck and don't support there skaters. DVS has been supporting Torrey for years, WRLD is taking care of its team, DC know how to treat Josh, cons you can forget about and we all know what Lakai did to Koston

back up that statement. how do dekline not support their team?

iSk84thechicas

• Rep: -47
  • Thats right - Her AND her cousin
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2013, 05:23:23 PM »
Very interesting topic. Perhaps it is the same reason why there arent many Professional Skateboarders, Not because of raw talent, but beause of who they know and their ability to leverage that knowledge. Skateboarding teams are much like big cliques.  Some people fit the mold others do not. For example...why is Nick Merlino not riding Baker boards right now?(Read on this). Similarly The industry can be the same way.  However nothing is impossible and anyone of us can start a shoe company right where we stand. No bull.

-"...Because we all know if Baker were Guns N Roses, Braydon would be Steven Adler..."

- "When I'm not getting laid , I'm hauling myself down a 5 flat 5....Time to man up son!"

Dick Butkus

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2013, 09:17:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Leaky McBurnside

• Rep: 10
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2013, 10:42:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Where is this place, Please?

janky858

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2013, 10:46:31 AM »
just put vans on your feet and youll skate good and feel good.