Author Topic: "Skateboarding is not for girls" - Nyjah Huston  (Read 83462 times)

Nigga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
Re: "Skateboarding is not for girls" - Nyjah Huston
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2013, 06:21:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm surprised everyone is getting so offended by this.

You want skateboarding to remain gritty and stay out of the mainstream? You don't want it in the Olympics or more corporate sponsorships? Well it's this type of shit you're going to have to put up with. You can't have it both ways.

But forget that for a second. Watch this at the 1:00 mark

Now watch this at 25 seconds:

Don't you feel a little bit differently watching the two? I don't think he was trying to say that girls shouldn't be allowed to skateboard, I think he's saying that girls shouldn't be put into situation where injury is high-risk.

Unless you're a militant femenist, I don't see why you guys would get up in arms about this.

[close]

You're kidding, right? He straight up says girls shouldn't skate AT ALL and then when Phelps mentions some girl landing a 540 he brushes it off and makes a comment like, "That doesn't count."

But regardless, why shouldn't girls be put into a high risk situation? Because they can't handle it?
[close]

to me skating is for anyone who is actually into. this kid, and all his sponsor's can offically suck .. im tossing out my DC taylors. i love em. but screw them for backing this douche. i dont care how young his is. skating isn't about kicking people out. its a thing, a place, where people can find them selves. its for everyone who loves it. him and his sponsors obviously dont.
[close]

dude, chill. he's an 18 year old homeschooled, sheltered-his-whole-life-by-crazy-dad, kid. girls are gonna skate regardless of what some skinny little kid says in a magazine... no need to start a boycott.
[close]
True, but there's going to be all of these kids that worship Nyjah will adopt his idea of girls not being allowed in skateboarding. Then they'll harass and spout more ignorant nonsense to the women that do go to the skateparks and rip. It'll create a huge wave of ignorance.

you're acting like that doesn't exist already....
And also, I hope you realize that the kids that "worship" Nyjah are definitely not the kinda kids that read Thrasher.

ericw

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2013, 06:23:33 PM »

Paletta

• Rep: -17
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2013, 06:37:31 PM »
There always has been and still is this level of misogyny that seems to be acceptable in skateboarding. (and male culture in general.) It's fucking sad. Sad on so many levels. You hear it at skateparks and when you're out skating. The shit that skaters say to and about women is pretty lame. I'd hope that we could be a little more understanding or respectful or what the fuck ever....Unfortunately Nyjah's comment reflects the opinion of way too many of "us". I hate it.

http://www.complex.com/rides/2012/06/the-10-sexiest-female-skateboarders/

And articles like this don't make it any better. Shouldnt it be the 10 best female skaters period.
And the saddest part is the article was written by a female. Way to help your cause.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2013, 06:44:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

You want skateboarding to remain gritty and stay out of the mainstream? You don't want it in the Olympics or more corporate sponsorships? Well it's this type of shit you're going to have to put up with. You can't have it both ways.

Don't you feel a little bit differently watching the two? I don't think he was trying to say that girls shouldn't be allowed to skateboard, I think he's saying that girls shouldn't be put into situation where injury is high-risk.

Unless you're a militant femenist, I don't see why you guys would get up in arms about this.

[close]

You're kidding, right? He straight up says girls shouldn't skate AT ALL and then when Phelps mentions some girl landing a 540 he brushes it off and makes a comment like, "That doesn't count."

But regardless, why shouldn't girls be put into a high risk situation? Because they can't handle it?
[close]

to me skating is for anyone who is actually into. this kid, and all his sponsor's can offically suck .. im tossing out my DC taylors. i love em. but screw them for backing this douche. i dont care how young his is. skating isn't about kicking people out. its a thing, a place, where people can find them selves. its for everyone who loves it. him and his sponsors obviously dont.
[close]

dude, chill. he's an 18 year old homeschooled, sheltered-his-whole-life-by-crazy-dad, kid. girls are gonna skate regardless of what some skinny little kid says in a magazine... no need to start a boycott.
[close]
True, but there's going to be all of these kids that worship Nyjah will adopt his idea of girls not being allowed in skateboarding. Then they'll harass and spout more ignorant nonsense to the women that do go to the skateparks and rip. It'll create a huge wave of ignorance.
[close]

And also, I hope you realize that the kids that "worship" Nyjah are definitely not the kinda kids that read Thrasher.

My mistake man. I mean, since people already talk like that, then who cares whether a professional that has the ability to influence them says something that reinforces their bullshit, right? That kind of talk already exists, so what's the point on calling people out on it or pointing out how idiotic it is, right?

And also, I hope you realize that the kids who "worship" Nyjah will definitely read a magazine that has him on the cover and advertises an interview with him.

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2013, 06:46:28 PM »
Has James Brockman, Correy Duffell, Tom Penny or Muska ever apologize for their bigotry?

doublesteveburger

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2013, 06:52:28 PM »
Has James Brockman, Correy Duffell, Tom Penny or Muska ever apologize for their bigotry?

Duffel apologized, no?

Will Easley

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2013, 06:57:38 PM »
Let's be real, who here watches the WNBA?

hahahaha word. I think anybody that enjoys skateboarding should skate, girls included, but ive never seen a video part by a female that i'd watch twice. I actually want to see a female pro rip on the same level of the "top-notch" pro's that're out now. but that's simply not the case nowadays. Most of yall already dont like him so of course you're gonna try to act like this was the worst shit he could ever possibly say, but I've seen stupider shit on SLAP anyways so I can care less. Pretty sure yall all have said some regular shit when you were 18. Hell, i STILL say alot of regular shit and im almost 20, so who gives a fuck? He said some dumb shit & apologized for it. life moves on.

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • PHILA
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2013, 06:59:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

My mistake man. I mean, since people already talk like that, then who cares whether a professional that has the ability to influence them says something that reinforces their bullshit, right? That kind of talk already exists, so what's the point on calling people out on it or pointing out how idiotic it is, right?

And also, I hope you realize that the kids who "worship" Nyjah will definitely read a magazine that has him on the cover and advertises an interview with him.

I never said it was an acceptable opinion, but it's just that, it's his opinion, and kids are gonna think the same way regardless, it goes back much further than Nyjah Huston in 2013. This whole having to apologize for words thing is ridiculous, especially with this since he actually stated it's his opinion, it may be shitty but who the fuck are you to criticize an opinion? Who gives a shit, girls are going to skate regardless.
And do you really think kids are going to adopt a whole new outlook on gender-equality and sexism because of what Nyjah Huston said in an interview? Maybe I'm just crazy here but I doubt being good on a toy puts him on that kind of soapbox.

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2013, 07:28:30 PM »
And do you really think kids are going to adopt a whole new outlook on gender-equality and sexism because of what Nyjah Huston said in an interview? Maybe I'm just crazy here but I doubt being good on a toy puts him on that kind of soapbox.
I stopped wearing deoderant and washing my hair because some shit Ed Templeton said in an interview I read when I was a kid.
Kids are regular and easily influenced.
Do I think he's creating a generation of woman-haters? No. But I certainly think it's possible it could influence the way some kids think.

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • PHILA
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2013, 07:41:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I stopped wearing deoderant and washing my hair because some shit Ed Templeton said in an interview I read when I was a kid.
Do I think he's creating a generation of woman-haters? No. But I certainly think it's possible it could influence the way some kids think.

Well then there may be a problem with Nyjah, but I think the bigger problem is with the kids.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2013, 07:44:28 PM »
Women can do whatever the hell they want.

http://www.aclu.org/blog/womens-rights/excluding-women-combat-just-plain-wrong-navy-captains-story

If they want to go into combat, let them.  If you they want to jump down some shit on a skateboard, let them.  

Nyjah still deserves a media shit storm because he still doesn't get it.  She may be your little sister, but it's her life and her choice.  You can't condemn all female skateboarders and make your sister your excuse.

Weak excuse.  Try again.

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2013, 07:48:53 PM »
he just doenst wanna see his lil sis get hurt

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2013, 07:49:43 PM »
i get the whole.. out of context thing. so his sister is inferior to him.. cool.. thats great.
as if skating is enough of a sausage factory already.
i see women/girls (from now on girls cause i call guys boys). girls ripping pools, street, vert. and do people even know of the girl freestyle movement in japan?
nyjah is young and dumb. so maybe he gets a 2nd do over. but being dumb is a sad ass excuse.
i personally want more women in skating. could you imagine in the 70s if some skater said, black people need not apply, they can handle the gnarliness.? same thing to me.
i was an outcast that got included into a free skate group.. all kinds of non outcasts. and "cool" guy (1990s).. and all that fell apart cause we just skated.

he's good at skating. but so many people are. companies should look (IMO) towards creating a better comunity.. not creating "star" skaters.. if DC wants to focus on "star" skaters. fuck them.. i thought they were just trying to make good shoes.. but now it seems like they're just trying to push their own agenda (i mean, thats how it felt to start with. but they have made some really good shoes recently)
id' rather skate some shit shoes from payless then know any money is going to Nyjah and his crew. IMHO

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »
Corey should come out of racism-retirement and say he doesn't think non-whites have ANY place in skateboarding AT ALL

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2013, 08:10:08 PM »
I never said it was an acceptable opinion, but it's just that, it's his opinion, and kids are gonna think the same way regardless, it goes back much further than Nyjah Huston in 2013. This whole having to apologize for words thing is ridiculous, especially with this since he actually stated it's his opinion, it may be shitty but who the fuck are you to criticize an opinion? Who gives a shit, girls are going to skate regardless.

Who am I to criticize an opinion? I'm a person that doesn't believe an individual should be barred from an activity because of their sex/gender. When your opinion is exclusionary based on a general characteristic of a person and not their actions or has a negative effect on someone else's life, then people have every right to criticize it and you. That's like saying one shouldn't criticize a racist's opinion. These opinions, while small in certain instances, help reinforce a society that treats men and women (or races) differently for no reason. That's why I can criticize his opinion and his shitty fucking apology that replaces one form of misogyny with another.

And yes, I do think that something one of your heroes/idols/role models says can effect your opinion. Are you honestly going to tell me that you have never thought about something differently or gotten into something new because a person you respect mentioned it? Fuck dude--that's how values and morals are passed down.

thugnificent

« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2013, 08:28:38 PM »
there wouldn't be any discussion here if gall or o connor said what nyjah said. funny how you guys go off about this, then another thread in this section is filled with people backing rodrigo tx even though he is a convicted drunk driver

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2013, 08:37:29 PM »

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2013, 08:37:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Well then there may be a problem with Nyjah, but I think the bigger problem is with the kids.
True. Then again that's just part of life. The one's who are smart enough to think for themselves will be fine while the other will be influenced by something somewhere. It's not the end of the world.
I honestly don't really care and I'm not here to argue for or against anything. Just throwing my 2 cents in on this particular point for whatever that's worth.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2013, 08:37:57 PM »
Let's be honest... who would fuck a girl that you see at your park being served on a rail all sweaty and dirty wearing these.

They can skate. Just dont ask me if a girl gets me psyched to skate.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -601
  • who knows
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2013, 08:42:12 PM »
i'm kind of surprised at all the outrage.   you guys get upset because you feel like skaters do not say what they feel because of the corporate encroachment on the skateboard industry.   you wished people "kept it real" like back in the Big Brother days.

a kid actually says the first thing that pops into his head. it's against what is politically correct and socially tasteful.

you all start bitching.  only thing you should be bitching about is his apology.  
where is home?

Dick Rogers

« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2013, 08:45:11 PM »
I'd rather have Nyjah give us his honest opinion (however backward it may be), than give a watered-down PC version dictated by his publicist.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2013, 08:45:55 PM »
His new shoe is awful looking. The end. Nyjah Huston, you will never matter to me.

joebudden

• Rep: -51
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2013, 08:46:52 PM »
like how yall crakkkas left out the

"some girls can skate, but" part

then went in on him like he tried to truck fuck your lil sisters

second of all why the fuck leticia b aint in that complex ad

oh yeah, thats cuz shes out fucking killing it with fucking normal chick clothes on even tho she is cute without all the extra shit OTHER bitches be multilayer painting over their crater faces

she one of them "some girls can skate" chicks nyjah was talking about

while your mad at nyjah, you should be mad at louie barletta and the enjoi squad too, cuz ALL of them said a girl can NEVER ride for enjoi

even though leticia b is flowed by them

put your nooses and fold your white sheets for another day

yall some cott.....im mean cherry pickin muvafuckas

joebudden

« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2013, 08:49:33 PM »
special shout out to the lil NEGRESS Queen.....Sammaria B

may the good LORD protect them

from nessa t and the butchess gotdammit

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2013, 09:07:14 PM »
Yeah sure it's his opinion and he's got the right to express how ever he feels however when you state it publicly you're gonna get some shit. To  all you who are saying "why is this such a big deal" - well first off he publicly stated a sexist opinion by saying "skateboarding is not for girls" ; Enjoi recently got bashed for a recent shirt but that was all how you interpreted the shirt. But Nyjah straight up said that girls shouldn't skate and didn't acknowledge the 540 question. When your famous and you publicly say something of that matter in one of skateboardings biggest publications  it's sure to fire things up-especially with the sponsors he's got (element/monster).
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2013, 09:20:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Until he said this, I was actually starting to like this guy.

He's young, and this stupid statement proves it. Very immature.

I would say people will forget about this in the years to come, like everyone forgetting about Duffel's racist ass shit he said about Stevie Williams, but Nyjah is just way too big of a name and all over a place for people to forget about this.

He'll say sorry soon, and in the coming years, he'll realize how regular he was when he though/said that.
[close]

Except people still bring up Duffel's comment.

For all the praise skateboarders give themselves for reaching across races and classes, the gender barrier pretty thick.

I never said that women shouldn't participate in skateboarding. I would however like to know how many people on here have bough an Elissa Steamer board or any other girl's pro board? I am curious, because my guess is that little to no one has and this simply creates a divide in genders for skateboarding (ie all girl teams or something that seperates themselves from the industry).

I'm not sure there are even any female pro models to purchase at the moment.

I think anybody that enjoys skateboarding should skate, girls included, but ive never seen a video part by a female that i'd watch twice.

I love Elissa's and Marisa's parts. Both have great styles.

joebudden

« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2013, 09:23:16 PM »
put your cross and gasoline pack in the shed bud

the shit he said wasnt even foul

he acknowledged that some chicks can skate.....but most bitches aint got no business skating

bitches is built different then men

fat content, delicate muscle structure, alladat

now take into consideration that most chicks cant stand to even fucking sweat unless they are fucking

its like women rallying to be in combat MOS's in the military

I guarantee the majority of women ALREADY IN THE MILITARY dont want JACK shit to do with infantry, recon, etc

they will tell you FUCK THAT

leticia b's and gi janes are so few and far between that nyjahs statement is almost gratuitous by even stating "SOME GIRLS CAN SKATE"

get off that nigga dick mane

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:29:39 PM by joebudden »

joebudden

« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2013, 09:25:49 PM »
oh yeah

MARISA and the blonde carpet eating chick with the blonde fade with the ill nollie inward heels etc ARE RAD

again

with all of them COMBINED

thats still a burrito wrapper in a land fill tho
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:40:18 PM by joebudden »

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2013, 09:29:17 PM »
i'm kind of surprised at all the outrage.   you guys get upset because you feel like skaters do not say what they feel because of the corporate encroachment on the skateboard industry.   you wished people "kept it real" like back in the Big Brother days.

a kid actually says the first thing that pops into his head. it's against what is politically correct and socially tasteful.

you all start bitching.  only thing you should be bitching about is his apology. 

you are actually underrated as one of the worst posters.

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • PHILA
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2013, 09:36:46 PM »
i'm kind of surprised at all the outrage.   you guys get upset because you feel like skaters do not say what they feel because of the corporate encroachment on the skateboard industry.   you wished people "kept it real" like back in the Big Brother days.

you all start bitching.  only thing you should be bitching about is his apology.  

this is so very true.

Welcome to internet message boards, where complaining is key and logic doesn't matter.