Author Topic: "Skateboarding is not for girls" - Nyjah Huston  (Read 83500 times)

stephendedalus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 58
Re: "Skateboarding is not for girls" - Nyjah Huston
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2013, 01:59:47 AM »
-Thought I saw Leo Romero in Griffith Park today, but it turns out it was just an anonymous Latino teen with a guitar and Indiana Jones hat.

-A cute girl walking a bulldog gave me a long smile with a weird, vaguely conspiratorial air. I blanked though. In my sober life, I seem to only be able to succeed with girls who are shyer than me. "Don't you hate a shy bitch?" No, I don't, STUPID.

-I just heard the song De La Soul built "Eye Know" around for the first time. People clown Steely Dan a lot, but I think music can be unintentionally funny yet genuinely good at the same time.

HeavyweightLurker

• Rep: -31
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2013, 02:02:37 AM »
First of all Nyjah is one of the biggest talents in Skateboarding for the last 5 years.
But i dont give a fuck about his skating, it not my style.
I dont give a fuck about his new thrasher interview  (and i read most of the thrasher interviews)
- since his last interview with Chris Nieratko, Nyjah have nothing new to say, its just about
DC Marketing.

But his words : "skateboading is not for girl at all" are not that shocking for me.

If you watch the past and the present of skateboarding: it�s  just not for girls at all.
I dont understand why, because you dont need  al lot of power or a special physique like in other Sports and its fucking fun,
but Skateboarding is absolutly dominated by young boy�s, thats it.

I am absolutely open minded, and i  really like to skate with my daughter in the future.
In the past i have skatet with hundreds of skateboards from all places around the world.
Spending 3 days with an stranger, dont understand one single word but staying in his house just because of
the fact and the fun of skating together.

For sure i have seen some girls on a skateboard, but really skating together?
I woud say i met in the last 25 Years of Skateboarding 3 Girls i really have a session together.

But i skate in this time span also with 5 openly homosexuell man, with 2 man without legs, 2 police officers,
one blind man, and one preacher, and hundreds of jailbirds, drug victims and thugs!

So i woud say for sure there are some girls out there killing it in the pipe, in the pool and also in the streets,
but in general skateboarding is not for girls at all.  

Its like saying "synchronised swiming is not for man at all"
For sure any boy / man can do it with the same joy then a girl/women
For sure there is a boy doing it with a proper style, but at the end of the
day it not for man at all.

Accept Boys and Girls are different, not only educate different from the socity,
also born different by the nature.
And this is absolutely ok.

HeavyweightLurker

« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2013, 02:11:58 AM »
btw -  i forgot to say, it think Nyjah is an idiot in general.
On and off the board.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2013, 02:16:21 AM »
who the hell says that girls have to skate 20 stair handrails to have fun in skateboarding? have you seen female snowboarding? they may not kill those skyscraper sized drops and 5kink rails, but are still pretty fucking amazing.

and something that nyjah and a shitload of people here dont understand: you dont have to be the best in something to enjoy it to the fullest. plus i am pretty sure that it wont take too long until we see female rail-killers too. trust me.

nyjah, you are a kook. i am sure you didnt mean it disrespectful, you are simply too stupid to see it in another way.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2013, 04:01:23 AM »
These days I generally skate alone or cruise around with my girlfriend (on the cruiser I set up for her, she looks great on it and would get more attention than me even if I were doing 540 late hardflips flips :o down the street).

I'm all about chicks rolling around and doing whatever, but I don't think Nyjah's comments are that big a deal.  They were just phrased wrong because he's a skateboarder not a writer or politician or talking head of any kind.  And there are no girls, zero, zilch doing his brand of skating.  There are very practical reasons for this that have nothing to do with any comments this fool might make. 

But it's nice to see all the white knights come out of the woodwork.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2013, 05:24:01 AM »

Accept Boys and Girls are different, not only educate different from the socity,

Although you said a lot of dumb stuff in here, your last sentence takes the cake. It is not "absolutely ok" to accept these differences when they're used as reasons to stop men and women from taking part in activities that they want to do and it's not "absolutely ok" when you realize that these denials are part of a larger system that oppresses people based on "natural" differences.

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2013, 05:51:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Although you said a lot of dumb stuff in here, your last sentence takes the cake. It is not "absolutely ok" to accept these differences when they're used as reasons to stop men and women from taking part in activities that they want to do and it's not "absolutely ok" when you realize that these denials are part of a larger system that oppresses people based on "natural" differences.

that's the thing though, NOBODY IS STOPPING THEM. Nyjah isn't literally walking around parks stealing girls' boards and putting them in a cooking apron, and as far as I know, nobody else is either. There is a huge difference between words and actions here. Sure kids may taunt girls or whatever, but you absolutely cannot stop that altogether. So until he literally forms a union to bar women from riding a skateboard, it's not as serious as you think.

Krystian quint

• Rep: -4
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2013, 06:10:45 AM »
This interview just makes him even more of a fucking douche

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #128 on: June 04, 2013, 06:30:43 AM »
If his cunt of a hockey dad was able to force his preteen self into carcass tossing at public skate events and it goes over ok, I think maybe it's cool for women to decide for themselves if they want to go for a roll.

From what I understand "tennis parent" would be more appropriate than hockey dad. The whole exclusion tip that if your not going to be the best you shouldn't do it is bullshit. You can't win skateboarding

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #129 on: June 04, 2013, 06:32:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

that's the thing though, NOBODY IS STOPPING THEM. Nyjah isn't literally walking around parks stealing girls' boards and putting them in a cooking apron, and as far as I know, nobody else is either. There is a huge difference between words and actions here. Sure kids may taunt girls or whatever, but you absolutely cannot stop that altogether. So until he literally forms a union to bar women from riding a skateboard, it's not as serious as you think.

When people say shit like this, it gives guys the idea that they are right in making it difficult for girls to skate. So when they tease them about it or do any number of other things to bully girls and discourage them from skating, then they are stopping them from skating. No, maybe they're not actively focusing their decks, but words CAN be just as powerful as actions in making anyone feel unable to do something. And just because we can't stop every guy from making fun of girls for skating or whatever doesn't mean we shouldn't call out a pro skater that does influence a bunch of kids for his sexist remarks. This idea that you shouldn't say or do something because you won't change everyone is a cop out and says that you're comfortable with how skating is and don't want it to change this extremely obvious hypocrisy or you're too afraid to take a stand against it.

Lenny the Fatface

« Reply #130 on: June 04, 2013, 06:49:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Has James Brockman, Correy Duffell, Tom Penny or Muska ever apologize for their bigotry?
[close]
What the hell did Penny say?!

Homophobic comments said in the background of some Muska interview in the 90's. No big deal to me but I think it takes a lot for a person to admit what they said was wrong and try to move from it, It happens far less in skateboarding than people realize.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #131 on: June 04, 2013, 07:12:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
O'Dell posted the excert of Nyjahs interview and in the comments somebody brings up the rumored sextape:

this is also the same dude (and I know this for a fact) that double teamed a chick with his friend that was so drunk she pissed herself and was basically unconscious the whole time. The only reason she didn't try to press charges was because she was 18 at the time and nyjah and his friend were under 18 at the time. #fucknyjah
tater_of_the_tots - about 18 hours ago

Forgot to mention they also filmed it. #stupidfuckingkids @epiclylaterd
tater_of_the_tots - about 17 hours ago

[close]
Skaters have gotten shamed on TMZ for less.  If only they could expose his sexist/rapey ass.. ultimately ending his career.
[close]
No ones picked up on this one still? Just about sums his attitude up if true. I've never liked the kid, don't enjoy his skating and generally avoid anything with his name associated with it. He would seem to have the personality of a dirty wank rag and couldn't sell me a damn thing. The apology was scripted by one of Element/DC's PR people or maybe Berra brought in one of his Scientology cronies for this one.

I'd love to see this to be exposed by big medias. I mean if they accept to sign contract for big corporation that doesn't give a fuck about "skateboarding rules or spirit" and do all they can to be in the spotlight, they should also accept scandals like this.
And if his mate is David Loy (which I totally doubt, him being arguably virgin) it would kill two birds with one stone.

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #132 on: June 04, 2013, 07:30:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

When people say shit like this, it gives guys the idea that they are right in making it difficult for girls to skate. So when they tease them about it or do any number of other things to bully girls and discourage them from skating, then they are stopping them from skating. No, maybe they're not actively focusing their decks, but words CAN be just as powerful as actions in making anyone feel unable to do something. And just because we can't stop every guy from making fun of girls for skating or whatever doesn't mean we shouldn't call out a pro skater that does influence a bunch of kids for his sexist remarks. This idea that you shouldn't say or do something because you won't change everyone is a cop out and says that you're comfortable with how skating is and don't want it to change this extremely obvious hypocrisy or you're too afraid to take a stand against it.

Maybe I'm just using my own mindset of "fuck what people say", thinking that girls will skate regardless, because that's what I would do. But I do realize not everyone has that type of reinforcement in their thinking.
But still, our society's love for making people "apologize" for things is ridiculous, because in the end an apology doesn't do jack shit, except for the person saying it. I'm not sure what needs to be done, but if you want changes, a little more than a better, more sincere apology is in order.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #133 on: June 04, 2013, 08:11:25 AM »

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2013, 08:22:37 AM »
As I said before in some other thread that statement is some pure redneck bullshit. Nyjah is a douche, possibly one of the biggest in skateboarding. He's damn good at it but comments like show me that there's nothing interesting about him other than bs noseblunts.

Why do girls need some uneducated kid to tell them what to do anyways (or any other guy for that matter)? They can decide what's best for them pretty well themselves. Or they might as well confine themselves to soccer, cheerleading and the kitchen so Nyjah mustn't worry. Whatever, fuck Nyjah and his attitude including any other guy who thinks the same way.

So probably Element made him text that apology. Makes sense considering they sponsor most of the elite women of skateboarding (Lacey Baker, Vanessa Torres (?), Evelien Bouilliart). However, that comment about his sister is just pathetic. Seems to me their or his plan was: put some emotion in there and people are gonna accept it. Fuck that.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 08:27:51 AM by AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice »

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #135 on: June 04, 2013, 08:48:05 AM »
Unfortunately it is a scientific fact that the majority of women are inferior to men when it comes to physical activity. There is nothing sexist about that. It is sexist however to think that women should not participate in overly physical/contact activities because of this inferiority.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome Jimmy the Greek to the SLAP Forum!!  What've you been up to since your comments about black athletes being superior ended your career as a football analyst for CBS???
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #136 on: June 04, 2013, 08:50:58 AM »
a lot of ppl in here really trying to prove they are shitty humans, u guys aren't just ok with hating/limiting women, but you also think others shuld too? go live in a hole by urself and leave the rest of society alone
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Yu Dum

« Reply #137 on: June 04, 2013, 08:51:42 AM »
I am absolutely open minded
Your post seems to negate this statement. Try again.
Also, your grammar, spelling, and everything else made that post nearly impossible to read.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #138 on: June 04, 2013, 08:55:39 AM »
Wasnt there a online blog interview with Huston where he expresed his admiration for the taliban ? something about him joining up the cause of the taliban and embracing the taliban values

think the wanted the nickname Nyjah " Taliban " Huston . Or something like that

think it was on ESPN

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2013, 09:05:41 AM »
i dont think he said those things to be a dick, but i do think it shows he doesnt have a great attitude towards skating or women. i think you guys are giving Nyjah a bit too much props getting up in arms over these statements. i dont think(hope) most kids are stupid enough to repeat everything nyjah says. i guess it just seems kinda weird that some of you will brush off bad PR towards people you like, then use the similar nitpicking to demonize others.

hopefully all this did was give him a sincere reality check without crushing any young women's dreams in the process

tom

• Rep: -10
« Reply #140 on: June 04, 2013, 09:11:33 AM »
It was obviously stupid for him to say this shit in an interview but its also pretty stupid that there are people trying to act like this a unique opinion in skateboarding. Girls, for the most part, have never gotten respect in skateboarding. Unless you're elissa or some girl who dudes wanna fuck like leticia bufani then you might as well not exist to the average male skater. even chicks who are fucking awesome at skating like marrisa del santo don't get to be involved in skateboarding without having to deal with dumb, sexist shit like that article where nieratko had her put makeup on and try to find a boyfriend or whatever the fuck it was. I don't feel like finding a link to it but the general jist of the article was basically "lol this girl is awkward and not very feminine, lets make her really uncomfortable omg lol". In my opinion it fucking sucks but its not fair to act like nyjah is only misogynistic skater out there. If anything he probably just thought that saying that shit would win him brownie points with other skaters and sad fact is it probably did.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3333
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2013, 09:15:28 AM »
Expand Quote
4 pages of verbiage and no one's mentioned how on point he was in saying that a downhill slam can do moar damage than a 10-stair.
[close]

except if you aim straight towards water.

Or grass...but it has to be really soft, well manicured grass. No roots or anything. Basically phony grass. But then you can get grass cuts and those make you itch really bad which is nearly as bad as road rash. :(

HeavyweightLurker

« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2013, 09:32:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dear Oyloar,
i have an bad english gramma, and for sure my  spelling have some faults.
But what i said isnt "dump stuff" Maybe you want to understand my wrong.

Boy and Girls are different from the birth, i dont make a different in the treatment of my little Girl -
i went to the ballet class with her - and dance together with her - i let her check out my skateboard.
And make some boxing training, also i go to the horseriding with her... anything she like to do - i check out
And anything i like to to - i take her with me.
But she is different form here behavior, interests and his personal progress then the boys i know in the same age.
AND THIS IS OK! Different isnt less value.
ITS NOT OK to treat them different.

i have never said there is a reasons to stop men or women from taking part in activities that they want to do?

And i dont know what LARGER SYSTEM you talking about that oppresses people based on "natural" differences?

I talk about skateboarding today, and street skating especilly.
I haver never act bad to girl on a skateboard, in opposite i often have pushed girls that try out to skate in the last years,
if i have seen some talent.
I woud enjoy to have a good skatesession with some girls.

But its fact that not many girls skate STREET, - checking out the Skatepark or the Ramp is something different.
And i absolutely belive here in europe its not a problem of a LARGER SYSTEM,
or that people STOP them from taking part in activities that they want to do.

I think that the act of street skating, hanging out in the streets the whole day,
Beeing dirty in the streets, laying on the ground hundred of times.
Beeing totaly focused on your own person, if you want to get a trick you need to be
pretty self-centered, all the self-expression - yes all that filming and stuff is pretty
self-expression.
isnt really fitting for the most of the girls, boys like the camaraderie of a "crew"
and the act of proving sth. in front of the "crew"

Just my opinon,
and my other opinion is Nyjah is an idiot, and have no influence on girl skating today.
If a girl really want to skate she dont care about Nyjah - she care about Ellisa.
She set the standard of women who skate the streets.

HeavyweightLurker

« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2013, 09:40:59 AM »
Expand Quote
I am absolutely open minded
[close]
Your post seems to negate this statement. Try again.
Also, your grammar, spelling, and everything else made that post nearly impossible to read.

Maybe my english grammar is just not good enough
to express my opinion. My fault.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2013, 09:43:20 AM »
Nyjah seems pretty fucking relevant to me.

Judging by you ladies getting your knickers in such a twist.

I hope he said it just to troll you.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2013, 09:51:03 AM »
That kooking stung with the sweet satisfaction of relevance.

'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2013, 10:00:49 AM »

This is quite old and not a very wide survey of people but I am studying so can't be bothered looking deeper for a study for you
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00235103

As far as child birth, that more has to do with pain threshold than physical strength.

interesting, but:

skateboarding is an activity that might benefit from fitness, yet we have the occasional fatty or super skinny pro skater. skaters are not athletes in the classic sense, so there's no point in excluding anyone from it because of an alleged physical inferiority. quite the contrary. skating can provide a playful progression, you can get really good at it without being an athlete in any way.

that apology makes nyah only look dumber. wow, you're so considered about the well being of female mankind, fuck you. i hope some rad chick one ups his ass and makes him cry.

EDIT: took out the first paragraph because it you said it yourself and it sounded offensive to you.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 10:07:05 AM by Frank »

johnnymousedoom

• Rep: -21
  • skateBOARd
« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2013, 10:05:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think it's bullshit that you are all arguing about just him saying that when the problem is much bigger than what he said. The problem is systematic. We have been raised to follow the patriarchy-provided status quo that makes us believe that women are inferior to us when it comes to physical tasks which is a reason why we probably don't see as many women skateboarders, and less women pro-skateboarders. Not only the system says that they should not be doing contact sports unless they want the stigma of those sports attached to them, but for the few who do try skateboarding they stop skateboarding because we men do not welcome them so obviously they will stop skateboarding. Everyone who wants so skate should skate.  Nyah just said what he was taught not only by his parents, but by the actions of his peers as well all thanks to a system that treats women as inferior to men.

[close]

Unfortunately it is a scientific fact that the majority of women are inferior to men when it comes to physical activity. There is nothing sexist about that. It is sexist however to think that women should not participate in overly physical/contact activities because of this inferiority.
[close]
I ain't no science major, so i would like to see your sources for this.
I think they should be able to withhold any kind of physical activity, since you know, they can give birth and that is way more painful than passing a kidney stone.
[close]

This is quite old and not a very wide survey of people but I am studying so can't be bothered looking deeper for a study for you
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF00235103

As far as child birth, that more has to do with pain threshold than physical strength.
And Nyah was saying that he was afraid that his sister would get hurt so one could use the argument of how they can go through birth as a way to see that woman can suffer the "pain" of skateboarding.
Thank you for the source even if it is 20 years old, i will read it.
I skateboard, fuck da poleeeeece

chinasky

• Rep: -6

HeavyweightLurker

« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2013, 10:12:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome Jimmy the Greek to the SLAP Forum!!� What've you been up to since your comments about black athletes being superior ended your career as a football analyst for CBS???

the thing is - you dont need an spezial physical constitution for skateboarding.
The skinny small person is often a benefit,  - but any kind of physical constitution can be successful in skateboarding.

When it about hard work and pain insensitivity women are as good or better then man - look at classic balett - its super hard.
Or classic gymnastics.
In the first line skating is about balance and coordination.
There were already some 14 -15 years young kids who have won international pro contest.
There is no reason why a woman can not skate as good as a man could.