Author Topic: Australia East Coast and sydney  (Read 1081 times)

pica

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Australia East Coast and sydney
« on: June 04, 2013, 04:38:19 AM »
so, i will be travelling australia together with my girlfriend this september. we'll spend a week in sydney and the fly to brisbane. from brisbane we'll travel up to cairnes.
would you suggest to buy a grayhound Pass or a Rail Pass to make the way up north? what has the better scedule and is more comfortable?
the price is pretty much the same. also any tips along the way concerning spots, places to stay as well as anybody who is down to skate are highly welcome.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:13:41 PM by pica »

thunderphucc

• Rep: 1
Re: Australia East Coast!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 04:55:33 AM »
rent a car
drivings a piece of piss here
and brisbane to cairns is nice
fuck a greyhound

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 07:00:51 AM »
its a long drive but there are lots of nice places to go where you cant go when you take a bus... pm me some questions of what you want to see and do and ill try and help

never caught the train...

places to go between brisbane and cairns...
brisbane city has nothing exciting but stradbroke island and moreton island are great
sunshine coast ~ australia zoo (its worth it), noosa is nice (pretty trendy but nice) and Fraser Island is a must (I love Fraser)

after the sunshine coast and fraser island, there are a ton of small towns some a nice some are not worth stopping in... (the highway doesn't always run along the coast ... and you'll get bored of seeing open Eucalypt country and dead kangaroos) then you get to Proserpine and you hang a right and head to Airlee beach and go to the Whitsundays. The whitsudays is great.. best thing to do there is to charter a yacht... if thats not in your budget, you can still visit some of the islands... (airlee is a backpacker town lots of bars and parties...

northwards there are more small towns ,bowen, ayr, townsville (it sucks, but magnetic island is just off the coast), ingham, tully (great for whitewater rafting), mission beach (great place to jump out of a plane) , 0between tully and mission there is an Island called Hinchinbrook you probably wont be able to get on it but its beautiful, innisfail then cairns

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 04:53:30 PM »
I'm from Melbs so am more familiar with the lower east coast but I've done Brissy to Cairns before.
Renting a car is the best way I'd say. More freedom/mobility, which you need cause Australia's such an expanse. Look into a car relocation site  -you'll get a new model car that's heavily subsidised by the company, the only downer can be you might have to rush your travels. 

The highway from Noosa is pretty repetitive after a bit but once you get to the reef area it picks up. Mission Beach is nice and relaxed, much more so than Airlie. Try and make it to Port Douglas from Cairns if you can, it's only and hour or so driving. Mossman Gorge is another worthy stop-over.

If you're from/enjoy city living, definetly try and spend some time in Sydney as it's as metropolitan as you'll get on your trip and Northern QLD is really far removed from Sydney/Melbs etc. 

The Cairns skatepark is a ripper, and hopefully September is not to brutal weatherwise that you can get a sesh in.   

Jejenhausen

• Rep: -72
  • This is good news
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 08:32:44 PM »
these lads have it covered.

definitely get a car, if you can afford it grab a commodore or a falcon. They're much more comfortable cruising over long distances.

and if you're chilling with your girl +1 on port douglas.

Cairns is a bogan backpacker infested hellhole, port douglas is just up the road and one of the best get-aways in Aus

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 09:53:17 PM »
post a pic of your girlfriend?

• Rep: 12
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 09:55:34 PM »
ill get this started

here is my girl, i love her but she doesnt give a fuck >:(

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 06:14:36 PM »
thanks for the advices guys. we think about getting a car now, yet due to certain reasons i don't own a driving license so my girl would have to drive, but she is kind of scared of driving on the left side and driving long distances. but i think we'll get one anyway.

do you have open container laws in austrailia or can i zip some brews while i navigate and operate the ipod?

Jejenhausen

• Rep: -72
  • This is good news
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 06:42:45 PM »
all that stuff is state law so Im not sure of the NSW and QLD specifics. standard practice a bit lower where Im from, is that beers as the passenger are fine as long as you're not hammered, and you're polite with cops.  Here in Aus you'll find that coppers rarely fuck with people like they seem to in the states. Its very much a discretion thing and often they've let things slide.

You'll also have a funny coloured number plate because its a rental, so unless you're driving really poorly they'll leave you alone.

Your girl will be fine driving, where you're headed theres literally only one road. In an auto car you just cruise along it and enjoy the sights and sounds of these motherfuckers

pica

• SLAP Pal
Re: Australia East Coast and sydney
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 05:14:49 PM »
Bumping this, i'll fly to australia in 5 weeks. any further tips?

SEAN PABLO

• Rep: -78
Re: Australia East Coast and sydney
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 05:19:37 PM »