Author Topic: Anyone in a band?  (Read 185 times)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 654
  • Gnar Kook
Anyone in a band?
« on: November 29, 2021, 01:01:38 PM »
I was in punk/hardcore bands from 1987-1999 (so from age 11-23). I was always the shitty singer, but I would spaz out and do stagedives so that was pretty much what I relied on. I took 2 years of bass classes and also played drums for 2 years. I learned JUST enough guitar skill to write riffs , then hand them over to the real guitarists of bands. My first band was basically a Sex Pistols/ Circle Jerks cover band. That got played on local radio (my 6th grade girlfriend's sister was a DJ lol). Then I had a wannabe Cro-Mags/ Agnostic Front band that did not go anywhere, played a few shows. Drank a lot and did acid a lot though. My next band started off as a hardcore band and we played some gigs. But then it devolved into a Deftones style band (1994) and I did not want to rap/sing so I quit, and the band became (locally) semi-successful basically the day after. They changed the name after I quit too. The next band I was in was more ehh.. like Descendents/ Pennywise style but with Misfits style lyrics? Band imploded due to drug use from everyone in the band. Best moment was when we couldn't find our drummer because he was smoking crack outside. My last band was hardcore/grindcore.. it started with "Napalm Death is awesome". That band ended because: "I'm going away to school" + "I'm moving" + "New video game came out and it takes time to level up my guy". Seriously on the last one. So, at that moment I retired from bands. I just thought "Man, trying to get 3-4 other people on the same page sucks".

From 2008-2013 I wrote an imaginary album that I never recorded, which, musically, is a mix of old (pre-Crossover) DRI, GG Allin and the Mentors. I have about 25 songs written down and all of them are about how stupid scenes are. I never named the "band", but the album was "SS Death Squad", but the SS stands for "Scene Slaying", so yeah "Scene Slaying Death Squad". I have a rough sketch of the imaginary album cover, which is: Punk rockers being hung, thrash metal guys being shot by firing squad and a crucified skinhead being burnt at the stake. I tried to add a hipster being beaten with a case of PBR but it didn't really work. If I had time, I'd probably re-work all of these songs now. Oh I should mention, I did write guitar riffs and lyrics for all of these, but I just never recorded them. Probably would not be into them now.

Anywho... so me and my son started an imaginary (literal) garage band.

He has all sorts of computer programs and keyboards, so we may be able to just make songs on there. So it will probably be a fake punk band with all computer generated sounds because I'm too lazy to play instruments that I'm not even good at. Topics we have come up with song ideas so far:
-Minecrap (about Minecraft: "You think your house is Hacker or Pro, but its just noob") <- son idea
-Second Grade <- also son idea ("but my friends are cool and Kate is cool" in there)
-Man Wolfs (song about the Man Wolfs) <-- his idea
-Gas Prices (as high as your mom) <--my idea
-Mild Core <-- my idea (about being old)
-Road Rage (Driving While on the Phone) <-also mine

-Band name ideas:  The  Fuckos  (wife not approved) ,  Timmy Tims & The Tim Tams, not really sold yet

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
Re: Anyone in a band?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 01:32:29 PM »
I sang in a few different hardcore bands. Mostly screamo and powerviolence, but always loved it. Technically the last band I was in is still together just in hiatus for the last 6 years. But we all started talking again and want to record something, which would be a hoot.

Iíve joked about doing this same thing with my kid, who is clearly into similar shit. She wanted to tackle lyrics related to YouTubers she liked or true crime, and I wanted to write about existential dread and raising a kid who is probably disappointed in you. So the project imploded.

Potential band names for your project: dump truck, garbage boys, four squared, butt up, 44 mag crayon.
Fuck yeah, pants! I'm a big fan of those. Have a few pairs myself.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 468
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 01:58:02 PM »
I was in punk/hardcore bands from 1987-1999 (so from age 11-23). I was always the shitty singer, but I would spaz out and do stagedives so that was pretty much what I relied on. I took 2 years of bass classes and also played drums for 2 years. I learned JUST enough guitar skill to write riffs , then hand them over to the real guitarists of bands. My first band was basically a Sex Pistols/ Circle Jerks cover band. That got played on local radio (my 6th grade girlfriend's sister was a DJ lol). Then I had a wannabe Cro-Mags/ Agnostic Front band that did not go anywhere, played a few shows. Drank a lot and did acid a lot though. My next band started off as a hardcore band and we played some gigs. But then it devolved into a Deftones style band (1994) and I did not want to rap/sing so I quit, and the band became (locally) semi-successful basically the day after. They changed the name after I quit too. The next band I was in was more ehh.. like Descendents/ Pennywise style but with Misfits style lyrics? Band imploded due to drug use from everyone in the band. Best moment was when we couldn't find our drummer because he was smoking crack outside. My last band was hardcore/grindcore.. it started with "Napalm Death is awesome". That band ended because: "I'm going away to school" + "I'm moving" + "New video game came out and it takes time to level up my guy". Seriously on the last one. So, at that moment I retired from bands. I just thought "Man, trying to get 3-4 other people on the same page sucks".

From 2008-2013 I wrote an imaginary album that I never recorded, which, musically, is a mix of old (pre-Crossover) DRI, GG Allin and the Mentors. I have about 25 songs written down and all of them are about how stupid scenes are. I never named the "band", but the album was "SS Death Squad", but the SS stands for "Scene Slaying", so yeah "Scene Slaying Death Squad". I have a rough sketch of the imaginary album cover, which is: Punk rockers being hung, thrash metal guys being shot by firing squad and a crucified skinhead being burnt at the stake. I tried to add a hipster being beaten with a case of PBR but it didn't really work. If I had time, I'd probably re-work all of these songs now. Oh I should mention, I did write guitar riffs and lyrics for all of these, but I just never recorded them. Probably would not be into them now.

He has all sorts of computer programs and keyboards, so we may be able to just make songs on there. So it will probably be a fake punk band with all computer generated sounds because I'm too lazy to play instruments that I'm not even good at. Topics we have come up with song ideas so far:
-Minecrap (about Minecraft: "You think your house is Hacker or Pro, but its just noob") <- son idea
-Second Grade <- also son idea ("but my friends are cool and Kate is cool" in there)

-Band name ideas:  The  Fuckos  (wife not approved) ,  Timmy Tims & The Tim Tams, not really sold yet

The fact that your son knows about the man wolfs is so fucking sick

Huell Howser

• Rep: 61
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 02:06:52 PM »
I used to play in a few sludgy/punk/noise hardcore bands and then a band that just worshipped duster/slint very hard haha.

I have recently been playing guitar in my friend's project, its been fun. very heavy early byrds, big star, teenange fan club vibes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt-S77dnhYQ

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 02:12:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Note his sleeveless jean jacket in the photo. I have a Man Wolfs back patch that I will give him one day.
I made this for him, but its become just a wall hanger at this point because he doesn't want to scratch it

Easy Slider

• Rep: 196
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 02:49:54 PM »
I was a singer in a teenage punk band called The Adults in the 90s with a demo tape called Ąrecipe for skateď as all band members were skaters. We then changed the drummer and went more into a NY hardcore direction ŗ la Madball releasing another demo and playing a few gigs. ThatĎs when I was poached by a grindcore outfit who had a record deal on a sublabel of Nuclear Blast so of course I quit the old band which then fell apart. I only played a few gigs with the grindcore band then I got kicked out because the manager was a death metal dude who did not like my baggies and Fila shoes.  ::)

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 04:10:08 PM »
Pic didn't work before

El Fapinator

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 05:43:07 PM »
Iíve been in several bands 97í to 2011 on and off from punk crusty hardcore doom death grind and power violence, one universal thing I learned is do it yourself.

I just donít get along well with otherís, from power dynamics to reliable members who flake out and almost everyone needís a drummer.

Iíd rather do it like Fenriz and Darkthrone, no touring no live shows just drop albums and stuff.
Dueces Bitch's

lazer69

• Rep: -103
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 09:22:18 PM »
I wish

Prinzy

• Rep: 97
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 08:27:59 AM »
Hell yeah! Most fun thing in the world as Iíd imagine most the homies in this thread would agree on.

Like most here, a history of punk/hardcore bands and even an ill advised deathcore band in high school.

Currently in a hardcore band now and band practice is honestly the highlight of my week.

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

El Fapinator

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 10:49:44 AM »
Hell yeah! Most fun thing in the world as Iíd imagine most the homies in this thread would agree on.

Like most here, a history of punk/hardcore bands and even an ill advised deathcore band in high school.

Currently in a hardcore band now and band practice is honestly the highlight of my week.
I wish I had homies to practice with just Covid-19ís got my friends paranoid about kicking it.

I think Iíd rather skate or make music by myself.
Dueces Bitch's

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 346
    • Aural Buthcheryers
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 11:56:14 AM »
I been in some bands. I grew up idolizing my cousin Bones. He died in 86. Was the last drummer for the FUs and the first straw dogs drummer.
 My aunt Judy his ma helped me chase the bass guitar and Boston hardcore. She bought me an rbx250 bass and i Started playing bass in 91.
Self taught.
I copied anthrax and discharge the exploited. Murphy's law. Filth. Ssd dys  First band and demo in 93? Year before green day made pop punk popular to normal peoples.

PLC aka pre life crisis. Paula Zig zagloffski might have the only tape it's been said. I have no idea.

https://youtu.be/EBz7AAseUjg

Phase 2. People compare it to like dystopia mib etc.

I see it.

Wrote this with my best friend Brett Powers mid 90s. We was doing time in a horrendous new metal band when we introduced it to a set in 98. The juggalos didn't get it. Became an instrumental break in the set.

I recorded this with 4 different bands. Have videos of them no tape or anything.

https://youtu.be/6-ZAR-G-eEI

Both these are from 2016 session at rat city with Cameron Ashes on drums. Mixed and Mastered by Erik Struth of INTHESHIT at rat city.

https://youtu.be/ZUwzg92uWwQ

My first one person release. I had a torn ACL and smoked mad dust outside rat city went in freestyling no practice got this strange noise core thing.
It's actually very fast punk really. Idky people like it.

Brand new track.

Shawn Sarro bass
Ian Clark drums
Me guitar and vocals

It's not mixed or Mastered in this video. We got release and tour this year hopefully.

Supposed to be straight ahead raw punk.

https://youtu.be/WlXOj12SpZk

Drugs and my inability to fuck with industry people got me no where in music. It was so worth it.

I'm Stoned and I don't wanna fix the post.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
    • Aural Buthcheryers
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 12:07:26 PM »

Rad thread.

Maybe just call it "Fucko" in sign language hand font? Yo that's a good name. I can see the letter style when I close my eyes.

Or "bucko" triple underlined infest font.
(A)pl(E)

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 468
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 12:13:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Note his sleeveless jean jacket in the photo. I have a Man Wolfs back patch that I will give him one day.
I made this for him, but its become just a wall hanger at this point because he doesn't want to scratch it

Lifestyle hammer right there

Also me and my friend from high school who i was in a band with are trying to restart our music making again. I'm not a terribly talented guitarist but i can play rhythm well enough and i can sing so hopefully we're gonna get some stuff going soon. We've already recorded a couple rough tracks that we're gonna keep working on. Very spoon inspired stuff

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
    • Aural Buthcheryers
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 06:05:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Lifestyle hammer right there

Also me and my friend from high school who i was in a band with are trying to restart our music making again. I'm not a terribly talented guitarist but i can play rhythm well enough and i can sing so hopefully we're gonna get some stuff going soon. We've already recorded a couple rough tracks that we're gonna keep working on. Very spoon inspired stuff

Do it for sure
(A)pl(E)