Author Topic: Hardcore Thread  (Read 192243 times)

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 215
Re: Hardcore Thread
« Reply #1500 on: September 28, 2022, 11:54:05 PM »
Most of the Screamo bands after 2000/2001 were extremely bland and boring. This band slaps though - hailing from Malaysia.

streetmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #1501 on: October 07, 2022, 07:33:35 AM »
HIGH VIS, RAW BREED, CANDY APPLE...all hot new releases

DiscountCanofTuna

• Rep: 7
« Reply #1502 on: October 20, 2022, 05:13:21 PM »
Love this new Regulate album!

2023 Slap Pals Fantasy Football Champion

streetmeat

« Reply #1503 on: October 25, 2022, 05:11:02 AM »
new Combust record rocks. its like if Bitter End and No Warning had a NYHC baby

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1504 on: October 25, 2022, 11:20:03 AM »
Blast from the past. Been listening to this on repeat the entire day. even after over 25 years this record is still a beast. Still confused about that Hitler speech though – i know for a fact that those guys weren't nazis

Sightunseen

• Rep: 90
« Reply #1505 on: October 26, 2022, 01:09:04 PM »

High Vis is a VERY good band that everyone should check out immediately
personally I can only hope to be remembered in a slap post three years after my death, with my name spelled wrong

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 970
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1506 on: October 30, 2022, 08:28:26 PM »

First Show yesterday. Went good. This is Swid's 3rd time playing with us. He did good.

As you can see the smoke machine killed my peddles.
It's been some years but I did some quick thinking abandoned my peddles eent directly in.
Nbd.
Somehow I stayed in tune with the others.  I had just broke an A string during the sound check.

Figured I share a few numbers with pals who like scumbag rock and or roll.

Scümbari -
intro/ hot shot
Dead Famous
Cold World
 @ 10th annual Gallows Haüs Halloween party

Salem Massachusetts

I might share one more.

We have more dates. Plans to travel next year. Morale is high. I'm going to push the subject till I'm bombing hills in SF
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

streetmeat

« Reply #1507 on: November 01, 2022, 05:37:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

High Vis is a VERY good band that everyone should check out immediately

the new LP might be my AOTY

pleasent street

• Rep: -91
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1508 on: November 08, 2022, 01:11:07 PM »
haven't been in a hardcore scene for a long time. i remembered turnstile being a decent band, but i just randomly listened to their newest album and wtf is this shit haha it's unlistenable, can anyone explain what happened or did they just go down the usual hardcore to hipster route yet fail spectacularly?

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -299
« Reply #1509 on: November 08, 2022, 02:44:16 PM »
haven't been in a hardcore scene for a long time. i remembered turnstile being a decent band, but i just randomly listened to their newest album and wtf is this shit haha it's unlistenable, can anyone explain what happened or did they just go down the usual hardcore to hipster route yet fail spectacularly?

They were never particularly “hardcore” say compared to TUI or Backtrack, I think the sound evolved pretty naturally to be honest.

Is it a poppier take on hardcore punk? yes..

Is it good? - FUCK YES

streetmeat

« Reply #1510 on: November 09, 2022, 02:57:51 AM »

considering they are without a doubt the largest hardcore band of all time, i wouldn't say they failed

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1511 on: November 09, 2022, 03:28:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

considering they are without a doubt the largest hardcore band of all time, i wouldn't say they failed

That’s quite a statement and I’m not sure, I agree since indent have any numbers to verify it, but I’m pretty sure bands like biohazard, sick of it all, at the drive in, black flag or refused and pretty much at the same level of attention - at least from my perspective

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #1512 on: November 09, 2022, 04:53:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They were never particularly “hardcore” say compared to TUI or Backtrack,

pressure to succeed is an extension of TUI circa stay cold.  death grip is a textbook hardcore song.
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1513 on: November 09, 2022, 04:59:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That’s quite a statement and I’m not sure, I agree since indent have any numbers to verify it, but I’m pretty sure bands like biohazard, sick of it all, at the drive in, black flag or refused and pretty much at the same level of attention - at least from my perspective

considering that you consider at the drive in a hardcore band, and that you think people care about black flag, sick of it all, or biohazard, i would say your perspective is a little bit removed.  the latter bands may pull a decent crowd at big festival, but on a club tour they aren't

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1514 on: November 09, 2022, 05:57:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

considering that you consider at the drive in a hardcore band, and that you think people care about black flag, sick of it all, or biohazard, i would say your perspective is a little bit removed.  the latter bands may pull a decent crowd at big festival, but on a club tour they aren't

Ok - we might have different views on what constitutes a hardcore band. I’m the 90s and with their first album at the drive in was considered a hardcore band - at least in my part of the scene. I guess this is just the old discussion of hardcore as a mindset vs hardcore as a strict musical genre. I’m leaning more towards the first perspective.

I was referring to the „of all time“ part of the statement.
And regarding pulling a crowd. I’m not saying that the bands I mentioned have any relevance today  - most of them don’t, but they had a similar pull as turnstile in their heyday. And maybe it’s also a regional difference (I’m from Germany). I remember seeing biohazard on their first euro tour and they played big places. As for today - sure, Turnstile is probably one of the most successful (if not the most successful) bands. In terms of records sold - I’m not sure.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 06:16:08 AM by yghartsyrt »

streetmeat

« Reply #1515 on: November 09, 2022, 06:54:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ok - we might have different views on what constitutes a hardcore band. I’m the 90s and with their first album at the drive in was considered a hardcore band - at least in my part of the scene. I guess this is just the old discussion of hardcore as a mindset vs hardcore as a strict musical genre. I’m leaning more towards the first perspective.

And regarding pulling a crowd. I’m not saying that the bands I mentioned have any relevance today  - most of them don’t, but they had a similar pull as turnstile in their heyday. And maybe it’s also a regional difference (I’m from Germany). I remember seeing biohazard on their first euro tour and they played big places. As for today - sure, Turnstile is probably one of the most successful (if not the most successful) bands. In terms of records sold - I’m not sure.

all those bands had success in their own right and in the late 90's early 2000's there was a push to get those bands mainstream coverage, tho pretty much all of them only saw late night MTV2/Headbangers Ball play. I dont know if you've seen any videos of Turnstiles current tour but its pretty fuckin unreal. TS (and Knocked Loose) are on whole other level.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1516 on: November 09, 2022, 07:05:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

all those bands had success in their own right and in the late 90's early 2000's there was a push to get those bands mainstream coverage, tho pretty much all of them only saw late night MTV2/Headbangers Ball play. I dont know if you've seen any videos of Turnstiles current tour but its pretty fuckin unreal. TS (and Knocked Loose) are on whole other level.

Ok. Maybe I need to check again. Last time I saw a turnstile show on YouTube it was big, but not bigger than those 90s roadrunner type of bands. Maybe I was under the wrong impression

pleasent street

« Reply #1517 on: November 09, 2022, 10:12:45 PM »
how can you even say it sounds good, it's like hardcore watered down for normies. also saying they're the most popular hardcore band of all time is incorrect because they're not even a hardcore band at this point. i think maybe have heart or bane might be up there for most popular hardcore bands of all time

streetmeat

« Reply #1518 on: November 10, 2022, 03:05:31 AM »
how can you even say it sounds good, it's like hardcore watered down for normies. also saying they're the most popular hardcore band of all time is incorrect because they're not even a hardcore band at this point. i think maybe have heart or bane might be up there for most popular hardcore bands of all time

pleasent street

« Reply #1519 on: November 10, 2022, 07:07:31 AM »
nah have heart were sick and they will go down as one of the greatest, dgaf how mysterious cool guy you are, if you disagree you are wrong

streetmeat

« Reply #1520 on: November 10, 2022, 07:16:25 AM »
nah have heart were sick and they will go down as one of the greatest, dgaf how mysterious cool guy you are, if you disagree you are wrong

lol i am a have heart fan, but its not like it wasn't the most accessible hardcore.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1521 on: November 10, 2022, 07:51:25 AM »
bane might be the worst hardcore band of all time

streetmeat

« Reply #1522 on: November 10, 2022, 07:59:46 AM »

they have hits, 'count me out' might be a top 100 hc song of all time. they stayed a band for waaaaaaay too long tho

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1523 on: November 11, 2022, 07:05:21 AM »
Thread never fails to bang me over the head with some unimaginably terrible takes. Jah bless you all.

Just blast Totalitar and forget you ever heard Turnstile or fucking At The Drive In, yikes.

https://jeffpoot.bandcamp.com/album/totalit-r-wallbreaker-two-1995-2007
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

streetmeat

« Reply #1524 on: November 11, 2022, 07:11:04 AM »
Thread never fails to bang me over the head with some unimaginably terrible takes. Jah bless you all.

Just blast Totalitar and forget you ever heard Turnstile or fucking At The Drive In, yikes.

haters cant believe i can enjoy all 3

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1525 on: November 11, 2022, 12:16:04 PM »

Lol. Never said at the drive in was cool. Just mentioned it as a popular band.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -299
« Reply #1526 on: November 11, 2022, 12:48:27 PM »

I’ve never really given them much time to be honest, does anyone have a link to their doco??

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #1527 on: November 11, 2022, 12:57:55 PM »
I can see how in a european's view of the world at the drive-in would be considered hardcore, just like rage against the machine and system of a down
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

streetmeat

« Reply #1528 on: November 11, 2022, 02:06:19 PM »
wouldnt call them a straight up hardcore band but they are directly adjacent to it. theres far dumber things people tag as hardcore. ‘relationship of command’ is an all-time record.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1529 on: November 11, 2022, 04:01:57 PM »
I can see how in a european's view of the world at the drive-in would be considered hardcore, just like rage against the machine and system of a down

Yeah, that’s pretty hardcore - creating a burner account just because of at the drive in.

I can only imagine how it feels dealing with such an amount of insecurity