Author Topic: Blank decks vs Pro decks  (Read 9281 times)

ben3350

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -156
Blank decks vs Pro decks
« on: June 16, 2013, 12:18:58 AM »
What's everyones opinions on the matter?

Industry wise, is it okay to buy blank decks when you're strapped for cash or just want more bang for your buck? or should you really be supporting board companies with your hard earned cash?

Also do you think blank decks are lower or as good quality as the decks you'll find from the likes of baker, toy machine, zero, plan b, enjoi, girl, etc.

I used to skate for many years and quit a while ago. I've only recently gotten back into it. I always skated pro decks that I'd get from my skateshop. I was just at my buddys house (who quit skating and has stayed that way) and he always skated blank boards. He'd buy like 10 for 100 bucks online. Anyway since he doesnt skate anymore and I was getting back into it he gave me 2 blank boards that he had found in his garage since they were of no use to him anymore.

Anyway, what do you guys think about the whole thing?

Dead Man

• Rep: -5
Re: Blank decks vs Pro decks
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 12:33:23 AM »
Just skate! No matter how you do it!

srsbsnss

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 12:53:28 AM »
Is this a serious thread? If you're honestly asking about the quality difference between ten dollar blanks on ebay vs. pro decks from legitimate brands there really is no comparison. Those blanks will delam, chip or crack way faster than a pro deck, team deck or shop deck. There's a reason they're ten dollars and sold in bulk. If you're concerned with cost or just like to get the most for your money I'd suggest online shopping. I have no local shop and the closest one (Metro) recently closed so I do most of my deck buying online and usually find extremely good deals. a few weeks ago I got a creature 8.25 and a Baker 8.12 for a total of $42 from amazon (because the shrink wrap was torn) for instance.

I'd still recommend buying full price decks directly from smaller companies to offset the impact your being cheap might have on the industry every few decks. I buy a roger every five decks and try to support other small companies because they're the ones who really deserve and need our money.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 01:12:19 AM by srsbsnss »

ben3350

• Rep: -156
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 01:01:46 AM »
I don't know, some friends of mine with baker boards have their boards chip or snap way before people I know that skate blanks boards. Sometimes I feel that the 10 dollar bulk boards are nearly as good as many of the big board companies in quality

Will Easley

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 01:06:36 AM »
it depends on what kind of blanks you get because some are better than others, but at the end of the day even the best blanks end up costing just as much as your typical price point board so you might as well go for that. 10 decks for a 100 may sound like a deal but those are usually the shittier kind. chipping is one thing & really depends on the specific situation when it chipped, but a weak deck is a weak deck & those shits are as weak as they come. Ive bought blanks in bulk when i was younger and those were the only boards i was able to break at that age/size. I was not big at all but I still managed to regularly break those things. Just get a regular price point board if you're looking to save money. random ebay blanks are made from shitty china wood 90% of the time.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 03:15:07 AM »
I think it's major brands vs. local brands right now.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 05:29:40 AM »
Yep, and its all still the same wood just different profit margins.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 05:44:35 AM »
did you watch the new blank board video?

What day will the blank team come to town and do a demo at the park?

seriously fuck blank boards.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 05:50:30 AM by pica »

tom

• Rep: -10
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 06:15:20 AM »
I can't blame anybody for skating blanks if money is tight. I've been there. however, if you can comfortably afford to support a core company and/or a local shop and you still choose to buy blanks off the internet, that is sort of lame.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 06:56:10 AM »
I bought ebay blanks thinking I got a deal until I skated the first one and it chipped to death the first day.  Then I felt I got ripped off and wished I bought something else.

I'd rather spend money on a tried and true brand than give my money to some random on ebay.  It's easy to find a deal on a branded board in the internet age, but I'll kick down on a shop board if I really like that shop along with buying a couple of their shirts.

gnidraobetaks

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • this is joab
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 09:39:35 AM »
im pretty sure blanks were invented so that zumiez could make money off of the poor kids too. never fooled me.

Gotta manscape ... it's mandatory.

JoeyStacks

• Rep: -4
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 09:47:54 AM »
You can find 3 board deals for pro decks on ebay and shit to save money... shop decks are a way better quality than those shit blank deals.  Not only that when you only buy one or 2 boards at a time you can shop around and find the best shape and size to fit you. 
this should be in the skate questions section

lamethomas

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 11:19:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yep, and its all still the same wood just different profit margins.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 11:51:47 AM »
Fuck blanks!

nylin

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 12:03:08 PM »

MFS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65427
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 12:09:26 PM »
Fuck blanks but also fuck big companies! Support local brands and small companies. Buy stuff from Seasons,RAW or Orchard. Not amazon or ebay!

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 12:57:44 PM »
is this even a question? by buying stuff from smaller companies and shops, you help keep them in business.

tom

• Rep: -10
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 01:12:23 PM »
im pretty sure blanks were invented so that zumiez could make money off of the poor kids too. never fooled me.

what are you, 14? blanks have been around a lot longer than zumiez.

colin

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 01:45:25 PM »
did you watch the new blank board video?

What day will the blank team come to town and do a demo at the park?

seriously fuck blank boards.

Do you really need a demo?

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 01:57:52 PM »
growing up i saved up a bunch of money as a kid to get good trucks and bearings. Which to me are the most important components that are worth buying top dollar. Wheels are debatable specially now that ive skated bones stf that has lasted me literally a year without flatspots. Hardware should never cost you more than a dollar, you shouldn't have to replace those ever and if you do you can go to the local hardware store and buy some for a few cents instead of spending 10 buck on diamond bolts. Now with boards on my experience i choose blanks all day. Ive skated a brand called Shuv it boards for a few years now and they are awesome. You can can sometimes get em for 25 bucks with mob grip. They are a good shape and thick so they dont really snap much. Ive bought brand boards in the past but i always found myself being extra careful with the board and not going for stuff because i didn't wanna break it because i had just spent over 60 bucks on them. Blank boards are the way to go but there are also cheap blanks that arent worth the money make sure you check the shape and wood materials because theres some weak blanks out there that would snap on a flatground trick.

Ollie Ringwald

• Rep: -3
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 02:13:41 PM »
A "Pro Deck" is a blank with a picture and someone's name badly transferred onto it.

A PS or Generator blank (if you can get hold of one) is probably better than a Girl pro board.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 02:18:28 PM »
What a shitty thread.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 02:24:37 PM »
it depends what you understand under 'blanks':

You can skate crappy blanks made in some weird country. You can buy those on ebay and you'll think you have a great deal... but believer me they suck.

Or you can skate blanks that are actually pro decks without a graphic printed on them. When I was younger around 14-15 years old i got blank alien workshop boards from a dude that got flowed by them. They were blank team boards and he just put giant alien stickers on them. Really good boards...

So it kind of depends zhat you understand under 'blanks'...

In my town a lot of kids skate powell blanks but in my opinion they werent that great ...

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 02:28:35 PM »
I can't believe this conversation even came up.

LegendinmyOwnMind

• Rep: 4
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 02:34:08 PM »
There are no local shops around me at all, and I don't like ordering boards online cause I like to stand on a board and check out the shape before buying them. The only place to buy decks within an hour of me is zumiez (lame) and I recently tried out 2 of the "blank" companies they carry, Goodwood and Superior. They both cost about $35 w/ grip. The "good"wood deck chipped literally the first day I skated it. The Superior deck I got has lasted a little longer, and has a pretty nice shape, but this will be the last time I buy either. It seemed worth it at the time to get a deck with grip for $35 rather than a pro model that would cost around $55-60 gripped, but it seems like the pro model decks are way more durable.

Probably A Robot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
  • dancing about architecture
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 02:35:13 PM »
Both of the terms in question here are too variable and loosely defined to permit any meaningful comparison. Regardless, fuck blanks.
"I'm regular, but I identify as switch backside."

marshalbanana

• Rep: -7
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2013, 03:13:33 PM »
I think it's just more of an age thing. When i was younger, all i would buy was blank decks from Copelands for 20 bucks. I couldn't care less if the board was bad quality, as long as it was skateable. Now, i'm wiser and more cynical about boards. Supporting my favorite board companies (with quality wood) has become one of my highest priorities. Girl's an awesome company and all, but they're boards fucking suck. I wouldn't have that idea in my mind 10 years ago.

foureyedjim

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2013, 03:52:19 PM »
Do yourself a favor: AWS online shop

troy

• Rep: -2
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2013, 04:23:45 PM »
someone post where to buy quality blank decks

soccer mom

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 04:34:18 PM »
example..
 I like watching Mike Anderson skate in video's, love photos in magazines, reading his interviews etc.  Mike Anderson is lucky enough to be able to skate for a living. He gets money when kids like me and you buy products from his sponsor so he benefits from it. I benefit from him getting broke off and working hard to put out footy for me to see.  Next thing you know I am buying blanks being a cheap ass, using the few dollars i saved to buy a Gatordade and snickers from 7-11... If I/we all do this long enough, I'll go to skate from 7-11 to the skate shop to get the new skate magazine/video and no more Mike Anderson, he wasn't making money, had to quit and get a job to support himself. He still skates but none of us get to see him. Next time I go to 7-11 he is behind the counter working there. If that went to far there would be no magazines and no video's.
 Sounds far fetched, but think of how many pro's are now at a normal job, how many companies went out of business, how many magazines are no longer out.
  Buy real stuff from real companies.