Author Topic: Can't fuckin ollie  (Read 4878 times)

1017diamond

Can't fuckin ollie
« on: June 28, 2013, 03:32:50 PM »
I have been skating since last year and no matter what I cant ollie. Whenever i try to i just land chickenfooted with my back foot off. I dont know if this is just a commitment issue or just not sucking my knees up enough?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 03:53:02 PM by 1017diamond »

Will Easley

Re: Can't fuckin ollie
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 06:01:39 PM »
its both. put your feet into ollie position, line your shoulders up with the bolts, keep your back straight (dont hunch over the board), squat down then quickly rise up sliding your front foot up the board to the top of your bolts while sucking up your back foot to the same level as your front. Try to keep your toes on the tail when you do this & eventually youll get motion & get the habit of better centering yourself. think of it in steps like this

feet into position with your back foot slightly arched, toes ready to snap down one the tail. front foot is basically flat on the board

shoulders lined up with your bolts

straighten your back so your upper body is center with the board

squat down by bending your knees (do a REAL squat to get low dont just bend your back)

As you rise from the squat, Pop the tail while sliding your front foot up to the top of the bolts. right as you are about reach the LOWER bolts, raise your back foot (while trying to barely keep your toes on it) to the same height as your front foot. this will level it out. it should feel like one smooth motion, but if you had dissect it down to milliseconds it'd be rise-pop-slide front foot-raise back foot-land

hope that helps

el chino

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 06:12:36 PM »
im pretty sure its your board, what kind of board do you have ?
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

JoeyStacks

• Rep: -4
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 10:45:48 AM »
most people starting out the main problem is fear when it comes to one foot landing tricks... Try to skate a lot faster and not worry so much about doing tricks yet.  Roll off curbs with lots of speed and do little manuals off.  start to just pop little ollies when you are just rollin around.  and just practice.  Always practice with as much speed as you can because it builds confidence and board control FASTER.

colin

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 11:40:40 AM »
I have been skating since last year and no matter what I cant ollie. Whenever i try to i just land chickenfooted with my back foot off. I dont know if this is just a commitment issue or just not sucking my knees up enough?

Stand on the ground next to your board, off to the side a bit. Now, snap the tail against the ground and watch it fly through the air. Now, consider that your job when you ollie is to control that power: your front foot slides forward on the board to level it out and to keep it from flying wildly. Don't forget to jump, or your board's not going to lift.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 01:56:32 PM »
Like someone said, roll around and get a little more comfortable on your board first.

Secondly, dont overthink it and dont overdo it. Dont hunch over the board, then just stand on it so that you feel stable and try to make a really small ollie first of all. I remember when we started, I adjusted my backfoot alot and put it on different spots on the tail to find a spot that helped with the pop.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 11:45:06 PM »
just stand next to your board and jump inthe middle as hard as you can, with both your feet, it?ll make the pop go twice has high and get you on the ollie club
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 10:43:43 AM »
Ask Bill Danforth how important ollies are for skateboarding.  Boneless everything, everywhere.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 06:32:19 PM »
^^^who the fuck is that gramps?

just pick the board up off the ground and place it on the next surface you need it to be on jerk

the tranny monster

• Rep: -22
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 10:05:43 AM »
Just don't push mongo cool kids don't oush mongo.

scorpion1001

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • All Hail Carroll
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 10:25:34 AM »
imagine jumping off of your back foot on regular ground, and practice replicating that motion on your board to get the rhythm right

dan brown

• Rep: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 01:37:31 AM »
 you can learn to ollie in a day, a month, a year or even longer. its just how skateboarding is mate. stick at it and itll come, or maybe focus on skating other things maybe a mini ramp or fun obstacles.  good luck !!!