Author Topic: Ljubljana, Slovenia  (Read 4061 times)

chickencurry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Ljubljana, Slovenia
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:51:23 AM »
Me and a bunch of friends are going on an interrail eurotrip this summer and we were thinking about going to ljubljana.
I heard it was a fun city to go to partywise but I'm not sure if it's a good city for skating. Has anyone been there?

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Ljubljana, Slovenia
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 01:28:59 PM »
Never been. Just watched a Rick Steve's Europe about it, and it looked pretty rustic. I'm sure there is something to skate.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 02:03:08 PM »
yeah, there is  spots and skaters. some of my friends have spent a week skating there, it's not that big of a city but might be worth a trip.

maybe i can get you in contact with some locals, pm. me your email adress.

http://skateandannoy.com/2011/04/ljubljana-spot-by-jaka-babnik/

chickencurry

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 03:40:07 PM »
Thanks guys! The bicycle track looks really dope, I would love to check that spot out.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 01:22:59 AM »
been there twice, sadly never had time to skate.

great input, i know.

tomazo

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 08:15:56 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am going to spend next five months in this city and i wonder if anyone has any info on skate scene there. I know that there is some indoor skate park, which could pretty useful in winter time but thats about it. Anyone got some further info?

Thanks in advance

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 08:37:17 AM »
http://www.obsession.si/

The local og shop. Go there and they'll help you out.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

chickencurry

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 09:02:41 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am going to spend next five months in this city and i wonder if anyone has any info on skate scene there. I know that there is some indoor skate park, which could pretty useful in winter time but thats about it. Anyone got some further info?

Thanks in advance

Spent a couple of days in Ljubljana. We skated around town and came across some cool spots, didn't see a single skater but i'm sure
that there are some, seen a couple of waxed ledges etc.

mark rigby

• Rep: -10
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 12:33:01 PM »
i live in that city if you will go skateboarding you should realy go to cankar it is infront of shopping centre Maxi but the scene isnt realy that big

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 11:48:01 AM »
I also live in Ljubljana, but currently have little time to skate. There will be a skate contest this weekend and I'll probably be there filming (the guy with dreadlocks):
http://www.facebook.com/events/176928715832870/

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 11:08:35 AM »
As to the skate scene in Ljubljana, well, there's not much too it but sure you can find some people and some interesting things to skate given it's architecture. I'd consider the city's beauty to be in the ranks with the likes of Prague, Lviv, and Krakow but then with Ljubljana you're talking a population of around 275,000 so it offers less in the way of things like nightlife. It's got a quaint medieval town feel with a castle on the hill, a nice square, and is snaked by a little river which has ornate bridges along with weeping willows on its banks. However, just a little walk from there is Metelkova that's sort of a wacky hippy commune with a good few many dive bars. Most people who aren't into nature skip Slovenia though and even the people who are into nature tend to often skip Ljubljana.

But really, I think the people make the place and the Slovenians are a grand bunch - definitely more receptive and Western thinking than the rest of the Balkans which makes sense since they were the first of the Balkan countries to join the EU plus they've got quite a bit of influence from Austria-Hungarian with a bit of Italian (fortunately they don't act like Italian women though haha).

I'm not sure what you're looking for when you say "party" but Ljubljana isn't really a party city - I'd recommend Belgrade by far if you're looking for a cheap Balkan country to go to clubs, smoke indoors, and stay out until 8am every night/morning plus even though there's not a great skate scene there's a massive skatepark in New Belgrade. Ljubljana is a city where you can see all the sights in a day or two - most people venture out to lake bled and the nature - but there's a good student scene, the best combination of friendly/beautiful women in the Balkans, and some nice bars. For reference, I wouldn't necessarily say that Slovenian girls and Croatian girls are the easiest in the Balkans but they're the most Western thinking for what that's worth. You could go party in Hvar or Split but it's too touristy for my tastes and expensive as they've sort of turned into resort towns.

If you have a chance, go to Poland. Best combination of cheap, open minded youth, partying, nice divey bars, and beautiful women along with a fascinating history. Poland is definitely my favorite country in Europe.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:20:33 AM by sexualhelon »

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 01:58:11 AM »
I'm going to Slovenia for a cycling trip. I'll be doing the "West loop" to Trieste over Vršič pass and then back to Ljubljana by train.

Need a place to securely leave my car near Ljubljana. Any tips?

Google search is failing me and I feel I can rely on local pals authority.

Besides, any drinks and food is a first-time-visit must?

Any things to be aware as cyclist?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 05:16:07 AM »
I live in Ljubljana. How long will the car be parked for? Are you leaving it over the weekend or during the week? Gimme your food preferences and I'll try to chime in (I'm a vegetarian, so I cannot comment on meat dishes). Where are you from and what kind of prices are you used to? City center is full of restaurants and you can check their ratings on Google Maps (but they are a bit more expensive for the Slovenian average).

I don't have a road bike (yet), so I cycle on gravel roads mostly. However, Jan Tratnik (team Bahrain) said in a recent interview that ever since Roglič and Pogačar have been dominating road cycling, drivers have become much more courteous on the roads.

Going from Ljubljana to Vršič you are going to be spared too much traffic as the highway runs parallel to the regional road. Don't know what the plan is after Vršič, but if you are going to Nova Gorica, you are going on a beautiful road, but it is also full of tourist traffic as there is no highway in the area (valley is too narrow). However, you are probably not going to be the only cyclist on the route, so drivers should be careful enough.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2022, 09:23:00 PM »
I'll need to park the car for 6 days.

I'll travel with my wife and we'll follow the route described here: https://bikepacking.com/routes/bikepacking-slovenia/ It's along bike paths and gravel roads. Our focus is to experience nature & country side. Quick transit thru Ljubljana only as means to use train station.

Food wise we enjoy all.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2022, 10:26:37 PM »
Oh, man that is some route! Wish I had 6 days to spare and to take it on. Are you going with a MTB, since I can recognize a section that is quite technical? I'll give you some more info later, but you'll be seeing so many of incredible views and you'll even pass by Postojna's Pumpa DIY! Looks like you don't have to worry about traffic, since these are less used gravel roads.

I'm a bit confused about your car/train arrangement? You're coming in to Ljubljana by car and then just going a bike trip and come back 6 days later?

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2022, 11:34:45 PM »
We'll be on gravel bikes that can handle the route. We are aware of the challenging parts and planning with necessary hike-a-bike time reserve. Also we'll be going "credit card touring" style - just bare necessities on bikes and be light as possible.

Regarding the car; we'll cut off the route at Trieste in Italy and take train back to Ljubljana. According to my research seems possible. Or not a wise idea?

Plan is to go between 18-26 June, because it "costs" us only 3 vacation days for 9 days off work because of mid summer celebration in our home country.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2022, 12:17:37 AM »
There is a train from Trieste to Ljubljana, but only once per day. You'll miss going by Pumpa DIY this way, but Trieste is beautiful too.

You could park directly by the main train station, but I'm not sure about multi-day rate (24h is 8€) and I'm not sure how safe it is. There is no parking actively being monitored for the purpose of multi-day parking. Best bet would be to leave it in a driveway of someone you know.

I'll be moving to the periphery of Ljubljana in the next weeks to my new house, that is a 30min car ride to the station.

Also the first real climb you'll encounter going from Ljubljana is a steep motherfucker: https://www.strava.com/segments/4176129

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2022, 11:29:55 AM »
@KoRnholio8 dropped you a DM!

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2022, 12:12:47 PM »
Major shout out to our boy @KoRnholio8 for dropping knowledge and helping me with preparations, but then also live guiding us in Slovenia via messenger.

Lovely country for almost any form of outdoor action - hiking, cycling, kayaking and so on. Ljubljana seems very skateable and we got a relaxed vibe while passing thru.

Hope I can make another trip to explore the east.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2022, 11:13:16 PM »
damn you, now I have this sudden urge to do this bike tour myself :)