Author Topic: Backpacking through Europe, hostel advice  (Read 3695 times)

A.J.K.

Backpacking through Europe, hostel advice
« on: July 09, 2013, 12:09:39 PM »
So my friend and I are going on a trip in August, London, ferry to Amsterdam, then train to Rome.  Roughly a week in each city.

I thought it would be best to book hostels for each city now, for each night we'd be in each city.  However, he is saying that he knows people who only only booked the first night in each city.  That seems sketchy as fuck to me, seeing as rooms seemingly sell out in advance.  Also i'd rather have everything set up in advance and already paid for so we aren't trying to find places to stay each night and potentially getting boned on the cost.

Anyone have any advice on the best way to go about this?

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -8
Re: Backpacking through Europe, hostel advice
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 12:49:14 PM »
Both places are super crowded almost all year round with August hitting peak season. Ask your friend whether he'd rather spend his time there looking for overpriced hostel/hotel rooms or maximize his time of doing awesome stuff. Book it now, thank me later!  ;)

For real, I don't get the obsession some people seem have with NOT booking rooms in advance. I get that for a roadtrip where you want to be as spontaneous as possible and have a tent in your trunk. But if you know you're gonna stay a specific amount of time in two of the most touristy places in Europe, that's just stupid. However, for some people that seems to be the definition of badass...

A.J.K.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 12:58:45 PM »
We share the same idea.  I have no idea why he is adamant on not booking in advance, like you say he thinks it will be more badass.  There is no real argument for not booking in advance though.

Anyway thanks, I appreciate it.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 01:15:41 PM »
I used hostelworld.com ahead of time.  It worked.  Have fun.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 01:29:38 PM »
hostelworld and airbnb.com have booked every place i stayed at in the last 10 years, all over europe.

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 10:15:13 PM »
Couch surfing is a million times better than hostels. Do it as much as you can. Don't be afraid to crash in a bus/train station if needed, too. Get grimy.

A.J.K.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 10:52:06 PM »
Couch surfing is a million times better than hostels. Do it as much as you can. Don't be afraid to crash in a bus/train station if needed, too. Get grimy.
Neither of us know people in London, Amsterdam, or Rome, and hoping to just meet people that would let us crash at their place isn't exactly a solid plan.

And thanks Herc and chockfullofthat, hostelworld is what i've been using to suss shit out so far.

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 08:43:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Neither of us know people in London, Amsterdam, or Rome, and hoping to just meet people that would let us crash at their place isn't exactly a solid plan.

Of course you don't. Meet some new people. Couchsurfing.org.

Colin

• Rep: -1
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 09:08:39 PM »
Book online before for sure. Especially in these major cities on the weekends, hostels fill up really quick leaving you out of luck or paying way more than you want. hostelworld and hostelbookers are the ones I used. Try and stay at the recommended ones and youll be all set.

AfterEight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -81
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 09:18:58 AM »
In Rome, stay at The Yellow.

Amsterdam will likely be all booked up. I stayed at The Flying Pig downtown, It was a shit show in a good way.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 08:58:41 PM »
Rented an apartment through this site. 2 bed and a lounge/kitchen. Great to have a good place to chill, cook and relax.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/ms/Amsterdam--Netherlands
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 12:29:28 AM »
If you register with hostel world you book in advance but only pay a 5-10% upfront and the rest you pay on arrival, so you can get your shit sorted prior then if plans change your not out of pocket too badly. It's a good system.