Author Topic: Washington Street Park in San Diego  (Read 552 times)

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
Washington Street Park in San Diego
« on: December 07, 2021, 10:26:00 AM »
I want to hit this park up when I visit family during the holidays.

I know with DIY parks, there's a bit more etiquette involved (e.g. bring beers to the locals) and just wanted to know what's up as to not offend locals/the people that built the spot.

Or should I just take my old, kook self to Linda Vista instead?

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
Re: Washington Street Park in San Diego
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 10:43:25 AM »
I want to hit this park up when I visit family during the holidays.

I know with DIY parks, there's a bit more etiquette involved (e.g. bring beers to the locals) and just wanted to know what's up as to not offend locals/the people that built the spot.

Or should I just take my old, kook self to Linda Vista instead?

I've skated there plenty. Beers are appreciated but not necessary. Pretty standard, show deference to the locals who skate there often. Let me know when you're headed down here and we can skate there together! I've been wanting to drag my ass down there again

biaherl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 10:53:16 AM »
I always walk in say what's up to the people I slip by and head for the back where the brooms and dustpans are and get started on sweeping a spot or two. Theres always pigeon feathers and dust to pick up. That way when I drop in people aren't so pissed at me for stinking up the place. Don't openly bring beer, there's a donation tube at the entrance and a hook at the top of the entrance gate, always hook it so the dogs don't get out and the kooks don't get in. It's one at a time drop ins unless you're skating with a friend or if people are just trying to figure out one section. If you see scooters blades or bikes there kindly ask them to leave

LV is okay but the culture there is kinda booboo. I'd rather skate Skockus park at sunset and catch the pure vibes. Then go to LV for the lights

You're blowing it if you don't go to WSVT

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 12:06:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I've skated there plenty. Beers are appreciated but not necessary. Pretty standard, show deference to the locals who skate there often. Let me know when you're headed down here and we can skate there together! I've been wanting to drag my ass down there again

Totes. I'll let you know when I make it down.

I always walk in say what's up to the people I slip by and head for the back where the brooms and dustpans are and get started on sweeping a spot or two. Theres always pigeon feathers and dust to pick up. That way when I drop in people aren't so pissed at me for stinking up the place. Don't openly bring beer, there's a donation tube at the entrance and a hook at the top of the entrance gate, always hook it so the dogs don't get out and the kooks don't get in. It's one at a time drop ins unless you're skating with a friend or if people are just trying to figure out one section. If you see scooters blades or bikes there kindly ask them to leave

LV is okay but the culture there is kinda booboo. I'd rather skate Skockus park at sunset and catch the pure vibes. Then go to LV for the lights

I for sure can sweep and drop a few bucks into the donation bin.

I've been wanting to skate Shockus for a min - haven't been since I was in middle school when they first opened it up.

What's WSVT?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 12:18:50 PM »
Don’t you still need a key? If I recall correctly Route 44 was a key holder but they are out of business.

WSVT is Washington Street something something. It’s the acronym.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 01:58:38 PM »
Don’t you still need a key? If I recall correctly Route 44 was a key holder but they are out of business.

There are multiple key holders who open it up in the morning. They normally roll in around like 8 or 9.

I agree. LV is honestly way more dangerous than wsvt. There's a lot of gang activity around that park and people have gotten shot near there. It's a total dice roll whether the session there is gonna be good or not. Shockus is the fucking best. I love that crusty old park

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 02:31:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There are multiple key holders who open it up in the morning. They normally roll in around like 8 or 9.

Expand Quote

[close]

I agree. LV is honestly way more dangerous than wsvt. There's a lot of gang activity around that park and people have gotten shot near there. It's a total dice roll whether the session there is gonna be good or not. Shockus is the fucking best. I love that crusty old park

Damn. Never realized LV was that crazy. I've done 7am shifts there and never felt sketched out. Or maybe because any and all gangsters are asleep at that time.

Also, 8-9am for Washington isn't bad. I'm an old dude early riser. So earlier the better for me. What time does OB/Shockus open?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 02:59:31 PM by TastyBurrito »

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 02:55:47 PM »
Washington street vertical terrain

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 03:20:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Damn. Never realized LV was that crazy. I've done 7am shifts there and never felt sketched out. Or maybe because any and all gangsters are asleep at that time.

Also, 8-9am for Washington isn't bad. I'm an old dude early riser. So earlier the better for me. What time does OB/Shockus open?

Not sure what time shockus opens honestly

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 165
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 05:45:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not sure what time shockus opens honestly

I don't think Shockus park ever closes.

The lock on Washington St is a 4 number dial lock. I used to have the code, my office is a short walk away but I haven't needed to open it in a year so I'm sure it has changed