Author Topic: Vans duracap?  (Read 7303 times)

Hash Slinging Slasher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
Vans duracap?
« on: August 21, 2013, 09:12:59 PM »
Does that stuff actually help at all? Like let's just say I got something like those canvas Chima pros, which have duracap underneath the canvas. Is it really that much of an improvement? Just curious since it seems the selling point is "Canvas that lasts," but I'm not so sure I'm convinced.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:17:38 PM by Hash Slinging Slasher »

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Vans duracap?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 09:29:27 PM »
Most vans pro classics, if not all, now have a duracap layer under the top layer, be it suede or canvas,
Ive never hit it around the toe area, but i cant see how an extra layer would be a bad thing. As far at the chimas, that durable canvas felt just like any other canvas shoe too me

BALT

• Rep: -28
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 10:04:54 PM »
Vans are really just meh.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 10:21:08 PM »
The rubber layer is minimal, apparently. You're going to shred through that bitch in no time. Unfortunately, if you want canvas shoes, you should be prepared to do some repairing and/or some preemptive shoe-gooing. I personally love skating canvas so I'm used to it.

Here's what someone in one of the shoe threads said about the canvas Chimas, specifically:

Expand Quote

The fuck??

The gray canvas does seem like a lighter material than the blues, but even through the rubber? I was looking forward to skating these after my Gonz pros. (speaking of weak-ass shoes, the soles are balding quick. Not as badly as the Busenitz vulcs, but not nearly as durable as the Adi-ease)
[close]

Yup :(  Through the canvas in a few hours.  Was bummed but expected that.  Then the next time I skated the rubber seemed like it was doing good.  Then the next one ... oh there's my sock :(

coneklr

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »
Yup, that was me!  Through them to sock in around 10hrs of skating.  I didn't even do a ton of flip tricks in that time so unless you plan on going the super glue/shoe goo route with them, I wouldn't recommend the canvas for more than wearing around.  Just my opinion.

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 09:41:47 PM »
It adds some life to the shoe, but it's nothing phenomenal by any means.
And too, some people have trouble flicking their tricks once they wear the shoe down to the duracap.

Will Easley

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 11:11:24 PM »
lol makes canvas last as long as cheap suede.

dillanharp

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 12:35:39 AM »
Duracap is the extra thick outsole. Not the piece of bullshit under the suede or canvas. It's basically the same shitty quality, it just takes longer to wear down. So yeah it's a huge gimick sinceit really does nothing for the parts of the shoe that blow out first.

Edit: So the rubber underlay is part of the "duracap" system. Still not worth it in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:46:33 AM by Nallid »

skate361

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
my era pros with duracap are holding up surprisingly good.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 07:03:43 PM »
I like the era pros fine. The duracap is totally useless though.

Camp Grunge

• Rep: -7
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 09:26:46 AM »
I think it increases the durability some. I've skated a couple of pairs of half cab pros and when I blow through the ollie spot there is a thin rubber layer which helps a ton. Supposedly the era pros have the same but the pair I had did not