Author Topic: Skaters that you think less/more of because of the Internets  (Read 7069 times)

360 frip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
Skaters that you think less/more of because of the Internets
« on: August 27, 2013, 04:08:31 AM »
Coming from an age before the Internets, I was wondering of any examples of how it has changed your perception of a skater? (for better or worse).

Example, Stevie Williams web persona makes me cringe.

On the other end of the scale, Mark Suciu has put out shit loads of magic and is , according to Internet, going to college.

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

AdrianLopez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Skaters that you think less/more of because of the Internets
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 04:38:33 AM »
Koston, for the worse since he acts like 12 years old kid on twitter. not that I follow him, just what I read on slap.

[...] like an individual so irrelevant to anything.

Don't be an asshole and don't yo flip! - Kyle Frederick

matter of fact

• Rep: 42
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 05:17:31 AM »
the only footage i've seen of nick tucker has been online, and that dude kills it so hard.  all the sk8mafia saturdays got me hyped on those dudes way before i ever saw anything from them on my tv screen. and yeah, koston definitely fell down a few levels on the personal respect thing, but i don't really care about that as long as he keeps shredding

tom

• Rep: -10
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 05:40:41 AM »
other than some guys putting out a lot of awesome web based footage, I don't think the internet has done anybody in skateboarding any favors.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 06:43:32 AM »
other than some guys putting out a lot of awesome web based footage, I don't think the internet has done anybody in skateboarding any favors.

on the contrair, the interweb had my perception of Arto built up as the coolest dude ever, met him not long ago and hes a complete dick haha

i guess it goes both ways tho as ive seen people totally kooking it online and then in person there super chill dudes..

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 06:47:44 AM »
usually the people on Epicly Later'd I think a bit better of. They sit down for however long and just spill out their entire life/career for a camera. Not a lot of people would be too into doing that I bet.

StabMasterArson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 06:52:53 AM »
No professional skateboarder will ever live up to the internet's expectation of them.

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 08:25:22 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

on the contrair, the interweb had my perception of Arto built up as the coolest dude ever, met him not long ago and hes a complete dick haha

i guess it goes both ways tho as ive seen people totally kooking it online and then in person there super chill dudes..

Strange. I met him too in reality (?) and he was pretty cool and normal...

No professional skateboarder will ever live up to the internet's expectation of them.

It isn't really just the internets's expectation. Random footage someone catches of you being a cunt can't be helped. The image that some choose to give through it can.

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 08:29:11 AM »
I thought Mike Anderson was a respectable guy after reading his Thrasher interview. Call me old fashioned, but I like to read an interview rather than see them in a weekend buzz or something - never translates as well IMO when they're "on cam".

Patrick Bateman

• Rep: -2
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 08:32:19 AM »
The answer to this post is Berra, and "less of". The internet has given him way more power than he should have ever been entitled to.

RonBurgundy

• Rep: -40
  • from a whale's vagina
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 09:36:26 AM »
I used to be a huge fan o Dill's. now I worship him.

and that Stevie Williand video "watching history channel, you know how we do"
ok steve, you were hardcore and smoked some crack and rolled some dice in philly in the early 2000s but now you're just a regular ass bussines man, act like one.

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 09:44:26 AM »
I am a little embarrassed to admit this but prior to the internet I had no idea who Doug Brown was.  

I had no knowledge of his illustrious legacy as a professional skateboarder and no idea who the god among men was pictured on my X-Air Lime Flavored Deodorant.  I hated Applebees and our lord and savior Jesus Christ and I would have thought you were bat-shit crazy if you told me that it was humanly possible to belt out Christmas songs on a Fender Squire after three Mike's Hard Lemonades.  To be totally honest I was always a little weary of grown men who peroxide their hair.

Knowledge is power and the path the internet led me down to discovering Doug Brown has made me powerful as fuck.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 09:45:03 AM »
I don't even think Stevie is that bad. I mean not to the point where you'd hate him. I actually think he's quite reserve considering.

I have to say Marc Johnson. Don't hate him by any means but just from watching my favorite video (Man Down) growing up, I always thought he was just a silly guy, kind of like how Louie is a 100% of the time.

On the reverse, I always thought Rowely seemed like a crazy asshole from videos but on the internet and as of late, he seems like a humble dude. Same with Ellington. Always thought he was a total pile but from his internet persona, dude has to be one of the nicest guys out there.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 09:49:48 AM »
The internet has revealed that a very long list of our skate idols are actually morons in real life.

It seems only a handful have had their reps boosted by it.

Will Easley

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 09:56:43 AM »

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 10:12:07 AM »
Jason Dill. Before when you waited for the latest VHS to watch at your local shop  you would see him skate not ever really talk. It wasn't until the internet came along that now all you see is him talking shit and just being a kook. The internet did def killed a lot of peoples persona and i def agree to the whole koston thing, i liked it better when all you would know about a skater was their name and their video parts. Now you can even find out where they live and what they have for breakfast every morning. Its crazy!

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 10:19:08 AM »
if you are basing how you think of someone on what you see of them on the internet, you will most likely be disappointed.  especially when you're talking about skateboarders.  all we really should want/need to know is that they are good at skateboarding.  beyond that, don't think that they're these fucking pillars of society, just because we do the same thing they do.  and/or basing opinion on an interaction that lasted 5 minutes is hardly grounds to judge someone.  That being said, if the camera adds 15 pounds, the internet takes away about 15 million brain cells.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 10:20:22 AM »
Even though he was already one of my favorites, I love that Daewon really utilizes this whole thing of putting tons of rad footage on the Internet constantly.

I wasn't really a fan of Kalis until I saw his Epicly Later'd and started posting on here. Dude earned my respect for sure.

Followed a homie on Instagram because he followed me and he's kind of a cool cat, but I unfollowed him soon after because he flooded my newsfeed with selfies. Blowin' it!

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 10:40:21 AM »
Someone mentioned Koston. I will always respect him, but I do think he goes overboard with his brand of 'humor'. Just seems over the top corny, and he's painfully self unaware. And not to sound like an ass, but he is so far above Alex Olson in terms of accomplishment and relevance to skateboarding, I cringe when he gets into those mini pissing matches with Alex. Alex Olson shouldn't even exist to someone like Koston.

Have always been a fan of Daewon, and recently with his CBI interview and Instagram presence, my respect for him has gone up even more. He is the real deal in so many ways. Aside from being a legend on a skateboard, he's always mentioning how thankful he is for his Son and for everything he has as a result of skateboarding. And that answer he gave in CBI about not wanting to jump ship for Girl like everyone else, and instead stick it out with Rodney out of loyalty was incredible.

Babby

• Rep: 39
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 10:46:04 AM »
Instagram (as positive a thing as it can be) has effectively eliminated a lot of the mystique that professional skateboarding once had.  Definitely a ridiculous idea, but it would be nice if there was some sort of built in social media gag order for new and re-signing pros.

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 10:47:24 AM »
Jim Theibaud has always been rad, the net has only provided more examples.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 11:01:51 AM »
Someone mentioned Koston. I will always respect him, but I do think he goes overboard with his brand of 'humor'. Just seems over the top corny, and he's painfully self unaware. And not to sound like an ass, but he is so far above Alex Olson in terms of accomplishment and relevance to skateboarding, I cringe when he gets into those mini pissing matches with Alex. Alex Olson shouldn't even exist to someone like Koston.

Have always been a fan of Daewon, and recently with his CBI interview and Instagram presence, my respect for him has gone up even more. He is the real deal in so many ways. Aside from being a legend on a skateboard, he's always mentioning how thankful he is for his Son and for everything he has as a result of skateboarding. And that answer he gave in CBI about not wanting to jump ship for Girl like everyone else, and instead stick it out with Rodney out of loyalty was incredible.

There really hasn't ever been a single reason to ever hate on Daewon.

Koston's fuck your face quote still makes me cringe.

HoudiniXLogic

• Rep: -17
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 11:05:24 AM »
Any pro who has ever come to face the wrath of SLAP. Those who walk away, either walk away in shame or walk away in glory. But we are currently living in the present, so that perception has the potential to be challenged in the future.

Anyways,

GatorsGhost

• Rep: 116
    • Chilogy avatar image
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 11:28:20 AM »
the Clyde Singleton/Henry Sanchez facebook beef is the first thing that comes to mind for me. I used to respect those guys but grown-ass men arguing on the internet is just plain ridiculous.

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2013, 11:32:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
What was the quote???
There really hasn't ever been a single reason to ever hate on Daewon.

Koston's fuck your face quote still makes me cringe.

malcyvelli

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tom Penny as well as Chad Muska
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 12:05:20 PM by malcyvelli »

Tarela

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 11
  • We spent four seasons at the Four Seasons twice
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2013, 02:27:42 PM »
Mikey Taylor Less
Tim O' Connor More though ive always liked his skating/sense of humor
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:29:16 PM by Tarela »

BBNewBN

• Rep: -121
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 02:30:56 PM »
I would say I use to really like Shane Heyl back in the day but the web ruined him for me. Also I want to say that I am not making any new threads cause my rep is getting to low.