Author Topic: Welcome wheels  (Read 9106 times)

Avon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: Welcome wheels
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 12:50:39 PM »
There fuckin solid forsure give them a try, Im loving them so far. I usually ride bones strictly but finally saw them at a shop there kinda hard to find but the guy behind the counter was telling me some great stuff about them too so had to pick them up.

dmn

• Rep: -4
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 01:22:28 PM »
~awesome~

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 04:29:14 PM »
As a wheel upstart, taking a shot at Spitfire is not just bad form, it's just plain dumb. Whether you ride Spitfire wheels or not, their dominance in the wheel category is undeniable. Welcome doesn't need to do that. You don't have to shit on another product to sell your own, let the product get noticed on it's own merit. They come off as insecure kooks with that dumb shit.

Kitto Horsley

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2013, 04:55:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=72824.msg1990583#msg1990583 date=1378389714
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can't wait for this Welcome, weird shaped boards, "being bad at skating on purpose" trend to end.  My F4's skate like my "first time".
[close]

Not sure where you live but some of the best skaters I know ride shaped boards. All the Welcome videos are full of guys ripping at skating, maybe not the type of skating you like but that doesn't mean they are bad at skating. I for one love the boards and love that companies are breaking the mold.
[close]

Ditto - Polar's doing it too...Pontus even said in some interview how Vallely's old double tail model inspired the P2 shape. Just don't knock the funky shapes until you ride one...a cruiser a good way to test the waters if you think you might be into it.
[close]

I'm on my second one of the P1 shape and they're really fun.

I just picked up the p1 polar board with the cannibal wizards graphic. I'm actually really digging it. I can only do flip tricks off my front foot anyway and it's just a regular board with a nice square tail. Tail slides for days.
[close]

Skating a Polar P3 at the minute and its definately my favourite board i've ever had, I did like the Welcome i had but for some reason i just prefer this Polar.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2013, 10:29:50 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm riding the jackalope nimbus-whatever right now. I bought a sloth waxing moon shape at the same time that I'm waiting to set up. I've enjoyed the shaped boards so far.
[close]
If you don't mind could you tell me how wide the shape is at its slimmest point? It looks like it tapers to about 8" around the back holes. I'm going to get some type of welcome next, but I'm jumping between the Waxing Moon, Squid Beak, and Nimbus
No problem. The Jackalope at the front boots is roughly 8.5 and 8.25 at the back bolts. The sloth shape is 8.25 at the front bolts and 8.125 or so at the back truck bolts.

Anti-Hetro

• Rep: -49
  • I used to rape guys like you in prison!
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 02:14:52 AM »
As a wheel upstart, taking a shot at Spitfire is not just bad form, it's just plain dumb. Whether you ride Spitfire wheels or not, their dominance in the wheel category is undeniable. Welcome doesn't need to do that. You don't have to shit on another product to sell your own, let the product get noticed on it's own merit. They come off as insecure kooks with that dumb shit.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 02:57:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oh shit it's Brody! Care for a chocolate pretzel Mr. Svenning?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 05:56:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Oh shit it's Brody! Care for a chocolate pretzel Mr. Svenning?
That ad came out after George Powell took a shot at small companies.  It wasn't unprovoked like this wheel beef.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 12:45:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm riding the jackalope nimbus-whatever right now. I bought a sloth waxing moon shape at the same time that I'm waiting to set up. I've enjoyed the shaped boards so far.
[close]
If you don't mind could you tell me how wide the shape is at its slimmest point? It looks like it tapers to about 8" around the back holes. I'm going to get some type of welcome next, but I'm jumping between the Waxing Moon, Squid Beak, and Nimbus
[close]
No problem. The Jackalope at the front boots is roughly 8.5 and 8.25 at the back bolts. The sloth shape is 8.25 at the front bolts and 8.125 or so at the back truck bolts.
Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear. Going to pick up a Sloth deck next. I think it'll be perfect with the new 5.5 Theeves I got.

ornithophobe

• Rep: -1
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 02:03:52 PM »
Man, you guys are really sensitive about your Spitfires, huh?  Companies disrespect each other all the time, they just usually do it by ripping each other off quietly. And anyway, do you think Spitfire really gives a shit about a little instagram caption?  A little friendly competition never hurt anyone.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2013, 02:40:44 PM »

DLX knows how to treat their customers.

hardly art, hardly starving

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2013, 05:40:54 PM »
Man, you guys are really sensitive about your Spitfires, huh?  Companies disrespect each other all the time, they just usually do it by ripping each other off quietly. And anyway, do you think Spitfire really gives a shit about a little instagram caption?  A little friendly competition never hurt anyone.

No, I sincerely doubt Spitfire/Deluxe Distribution gives two shits about an instagram caption or considers Welcome starting a wheel or board company a threat in any way. Show respect where it's due. Deluxe has been a solid part of skateboarding for a very long time. No disrespect intended, but the dudes who ride for Welcome haven't been conscious as long as Deluxe/Spitfire has been a part of the skateboard industry.

Welcome shapes are fun. They should leave it at that.

b.v.

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2013, 06:05:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No, I sincerely doubt Spitfire/Deluxe Distribution gives two shits about an instagram caption or considers Welcome starting a wheel or board company a threat in any way. Show respect where it's due. Deluxe has been a solid part of skateboarding for a very long time. No disrespect intended, but the dudes who ride for Welcome haven't been conscious as long as Deluxe/Spitfire has been a part of the skateboard industry.

Welcome has taken a huge chunk of the big guys business in the last year. They are all well aware of what they are doing and wondering how it happened. I'm not even suggesting them doing wheels will make a dent in that market, but their boards are everywhere, and selling well.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2013, 06:15:10 PM »
I love Welcome and i love Spitfire, i dont get why people are getting bummed, i laughed when i saw it the first time,
i don't view it as a dig at sptifire at all, some people have just taken it the wrong way

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2013, 06:34:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Welcome has taken a huge chunk of the big guys business in the last year. They are all well aware of what they are doing and wondering how it happened. I'm not even suggesting them doing wheels will make a dent in that market, but their boards are everywhere, and selling well.

True. I'm riding the Jackalope right now and have the Sloth shape on deck. I think their boards are rad, but I think the dig at Spitfire is bogus. Welcome is doing something cool and fun, there is no need for negativity.

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2013, 07:28:07 PM »
I am confused as to why it is a dig at Spitfire? They make brown wheels? I am missing something.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2013, 07:34:42 PM »
I am confused as to why it is a dig at Spitfire? They make brown wheels? I am missing something.
The formula 4 wheels being natural urethane colored. I think...

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2013, 07:36:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The ones I saw where bright white.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2013, 08:11:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

There you go...

b.v.

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2013, 09:21:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
All the sample/tester sets were a bit more beige than the ones released.
They're still not quite white, I actually liked the tan ones. 

JBones

• Rep: -88
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2013, 04:15:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Well, Shawn, bright white urethane to us old fucks is the old natural urethane from back in the day.
Today's bleach white wheels fan would never had survived back then. White wheels shipped fuckin light brown yellow back then, and in months were almost orange, it was inevitable.  :P
So when I look at Formula 4's I don't notice it either.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 04:17:00 AM by JBones »

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2013, 07:27:09 AM »

thank fuck I'm not the only one that didn't make the link

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2013, 08:33:15 AM »
Expand Quote
got this as a cruiser today believe it or not. Wanted to try something different. I don't know if its the part that I've never had a cruiser or the deck shape itself but I don't remember having this much fun on a board in a while. If anyones interested the set up is OJ Keyframes, Thunder 149 Lights,Super Reds.

[close]

How do you like the Keyframes? I've been curious about them for awhile.

I had some and they were really good. They have a nice bounce to them.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:35:29 AM by 360 frip »
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Flat_Spot

• Rep: -3
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2013, 06:26:18 PM »
There fuckin solid forsure give them a try, Im loving them so far. I usually ride bones strictly but finally saw them at a shop there kinda hard to find but the guy behind the counter was telling me some great stuff about them too so had to pick them up.
how slippery are they? 104a sounds really hard

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2013, 06:37:37 PM »
When did wheel hardness choices change from 92/95/97?  It seems so long ago.

JBones

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2013, 06:53:34 PM »
When did wheel hardness choices change from 92/95/97?  It seems so long ago.

When wheels started getting really small. Late 91-early 92ish.
A small 40mm wheel in 95a won't go really fast. They needed to be hard to maintain at least some speed.
Anything under 52mm that's softer than 98a will be pretty slow. Cores help keep the 54mm area soft cruiser wheels rolling though.
The trick to making soft wheels faster is cores.

Why Welcome went with a 104a cored wheel is beyond me. (there's technically no such thing, a Bones SPF is 84b, that'd basically be 104a, but there's no above 100 reading on the A scale, so you use the B scale and estimate 20 points higher to sorta use it on the A scale - mouthful!).
Alot of cores are around that hard anyways at say 84 -86b, so I don't see how adding an actual separate core would help a bearing seat better. Maybe a patent w/ another company that uses the same urethane recipe prevented them from just going with a straight poured in standard mold 1 piece wheel?
Weird, but hey, interesting looking wheels regardless. I bet they are fast as fuck on concrete, but slippery as all hell on masonite.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:58:10 PM by JBones »

flapJack

• Rep: 30
  • if you want our remorse,turn your body to a corpse
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2013, 07:13:17 PM »
Fuck it. Got some 54s. I'll report in with results tomorrowish...if anyone even cares
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:17:13 PM by flapJack »

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2013, 07:24:01 PM »
oh. these must be for primo tricks...

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2013, 01:30:22 AM »

JBones

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2013, 01:35:24 AM »
Fuck it. Got some 54s. I'll report in with results tomorrowish...if anyone even cares

I care.  :)

Have fun!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 01:37:01 AM by JBones »