Author Topic: Hamburg  (Read 3332 times)

pica

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Hamburg
« on: February 17, 2013, 06:14:31 PM »
next month i'm gonna spend 4 days in hamburg with the lady. not gonna bring my board, but any good tips concerning restaurants, bars, nice places etc. are highly appreciated. we stay near m?nckebergstrasse.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
Re: Hamburg
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 01:20:47 AM »
Hamburg's a pretty cool city. I'd suggest going on an almost free boat ride. Just catch one of the boats at "Landungsbruecken". Only thing you need is a valid subway ticket. The boat takes you around the harbour and shit.

Other than that, St. Pauli is a really cool part of town with a lot of cool little places to check out. Altona's pretty interesting as well. Oh, and even if you're with your lady, the "Reeperbahn" and the adjoining red-light district should be no-brainers. I haven't checked out "Speicherstadt" yet but I've heard it's pretty cool, too.

I'm not a local but these are the things I've enjoyed the last time I was in Hamburg. Other than that, you should just go to random bars. Hamburg's full of cool pubs, clubs etc. At the end of the night you might find yourself sneaking your way into a fish factory at 5 in the morning, stealing one single fish, fooling around with it on the way home, then frying it. At least, that's what happened to me and some friends when we were there...

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 11:57:17 PM »
thx so far. that's it? c'mon dudes i know some of you guys posting here are from hamburg.

ciaran

• Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 04:29:52 PM »
Heading there in April with my girlfriend and our son, anybody else got some further info to share?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 12:09:40 PM »
some info on hamburg:

bars/restaurants:

-dschungel in sternschanze is great for cheap drinks, you'll get a white russian for 2,80? or a cuba libre for 3,80?. nice people there and decent music that ranges from 60s rock to contemporary indie rock

-hong kong hotel eingang on hamburger berg. IF you go to reeperbahn you have to make sure to get real drunk beforehand. you should do this with about 5-6 mexikaner there. the place is super fucked up with tasteless music and equally annoying people. just make sure to get your shots and head out again. you will get a nice buzz going for about 3? and you'll be ready to hit the kiez.

-one of my favorites is comet, located in erichstr near the kiez. there's nothing really special about it except that it plays a lot of music i like and it's just really nice there. modest prices, good crowd.

-kaffee stark in the wohlwillstr is a nice cafe with a smokers room

-there's this portuguese place on the opposide side of the street from rote flora in sternschanze that has great breakfast and coffee, i always forget the name

-if you like to eat some traditional south-german food, check out hatari in schanzenstr. they make the best k?sesp?tzle i ever had. it's pricey, but the big plates and the taste make up for it.

sightseeing:

-most woman love planten&blomen. it's a park that stretches from dammtor station to st pauli. it's nice, for the girls. in summer the roller rink located in there is major skate spot with some selfmade obstacles.

-the harbour of course. the classic thing to do on a saturday night is to get wasted until fischmarkt starts and then sober up with a breakfast of fresh fruits and fischbr?tchen. you should also buy a coffee from the crazy rasta.

-check out the g?ngeviertel, there is always interesting stuff going on there. it's basically some of the last old buildings in the neustadt that are occupied by artist collectives. there are concerts, vernissages, movie nights, ect...

areas:

-nice: altona/ottensen, the alster in the summer, the area surrounding university, st pauli(minus reeperbahn), the harbour, sternschanze on most weekdays, winterhude/stadtpark

-meh: sternschanze on some weekdays, jungfernstieg/that whole luxurious shopping vibe there, hafencity(empty...)

-sucks: eppendorf, st georg, sternschanze on weekends

skateshops:

-although they are all run by decent human beings, every skateshop here sucks, sorry.

that's all i can think of for now...

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 03:34:35 PM »

-although they are all run by decent human beings, every skateshop here sucks, sorry.

true dat.

kuchnia for polish kitchen.
kombuese for burritos.
quan do for vietnamese kitchen.
pudel and golem for the party.
get yourself a day card for public transport, you can take a ship too.
kleidermarkt, onon and animal tracks for shopping.
matze for drinking beers and getting wasted.

ciaran

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 04:27:09 PM »
Frank and Matze, that will help a lot, thanks.

What's the deal with local meet-up spots and skateparks?  Anything worthwhile to check out, I might be able to grab a couple of sneaky hours to myself one of the days.

Dummbert

• Rep: 6
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 05:57:57 PM »
one of the best breakfast buffets is at cafe may, i always head to the st pauli one, but there are 6 others in different parts of the city.
you get bread, fresh croissant, different sorts of cheese and ham, cereals, fruits and yoghurt, scrambled eggs, water and orange juice - all you can eat style for about 6 euros.
especially on weekends its so crowded that you don't even have to pay, the personal is too busy and doesn't pay attention that much.

also for the party: baalsaal is very good, ego and uebel & gefaehrlich also have good parties.

interesting skatepark: rote flora, sternschanze. a diy-bowlscape with smaller ramps and some really harsh deep ends in the backyard.

if you're into walks with your lady, you should check out the alster and eppendorf/harvestehude and so on... beautiful houses along the riverside.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 12:15:12 PM »
Frank and Matze, that will help a lot, thanks.

What's the deal with local meet-up spots and skateparks?  Anything worthwhile to check out, I might be able to grab a couple of sneaky hours to myself one of the days.

I usually go to the rollfeld at planten un blomen, you'll find some obstacles there.

there are nice breakfast places all over st.pauli, especially that wohlwillstra?en area.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 03:14:36 PM »
the most popular spots in summer are the rollerbahn and jungfernstieg i'd say... jungfernstieg is actually a really nice spot, although it can be crowded, you have to watch out for your board not to roll straight into the alster if you slip out, and sometimes it's a bust. but it has great ground, endless ledges, manny pads, gap opportunities.

if you like to skate transition there's a mickey mouse bowl at fruchtallee and of course the flora bowl. flora bowl is probably also the main hangout for skaters in summer where everyone is meeting up to go to bars later. hit me up if you want to go there, it was basically my living room for a year. some ridiculous stuff went down there. i love that place. i remember one time we skated the bowl until 6 in the morning all the while drinking beers to maintain our skate delirium. it was awesome.

ciaran

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 05:52:46 PM »
Radness, thanks Frank.  That flora bowl is the DIY one, right?  Any other inner city parks or are they all out in the surburbs?

AdrianLopez

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 01:33:14 PM »
Yes, you can go to the I-Punkt Skateland which is a tiny outdoor park combined with a small indoor park. Be sure to meet a lot of BMX guys there.

Other than that, most parks are hard to reach via public transport at least the ones I know of.

[...] like an individual so irrelevant to anything.

Don't be an asshole and don't yo flip! - Kyle Frederick

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 03:07:45 PM »
Forget about the skateparks here. they all suck, except for the one in rissen, but it will take you up to an hour or more from central station to get there. the new igs skatepark in wilhelmsburg seems to be sick though, but it hasn't opened yet.

everyone of you slap pals, when you come to hamburg and you wanna skate, hit me up. i will skate with you, or if i don't have time for some reason i hook you up with some homies that will gladly show you around.

pica

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 03:55:04 PM »
had 4 fund days in hamburg. cafe paris was sick for breakfast. also nobody told me about the "schiffbegruessungsanlage" if i'd have known that place exists i'd have visited it.

twitchflip

• Rep: 58
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 10:55:15 AM »
flying into Hamburg tomorrow afternoon and it turns out my friend has to work tomorrow night - which leaves me in a city that i've never been to and no one to hang out with. I would be so down for grabbing a beer with some of you Hamburg locals if any of you are about. I'll shout you a beer if you promise not to rape me  ;) would be great to meet up and talk shit..

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 03:40:02 PM »
just pm'd you twitchflip

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 09:26:45 AM »
I've just recently been there too, visiting the IBA ('international building exhibition'). A bus for 5 ? will bring you around in Wilhelmsburg but if you don't know german it's not worth it. There's also the international gardening exhibition right now if youre into this kind of stuff which is probably not the case but whatever...
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

twitchflip

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 11:03:25 AM »
thanks for the replies. i sent you an email, Frank. had a great weekend - Hamburg is amazing. ended up doing a bunch of cool shit like drinking up at the Tower Bar, the obligatory Reeper Bahn walk and had the best steak I've ever had at Arizona Steak House. would go back in a heartbeat and bring my board next time - so many nice spots everywhere!

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 12:23:26 PM »
nice you liked it! thanks for replying, although we couldn't meet up. hit me up whenever you plan on coming back!

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 04:02:24 AM »
thanks for the replies. i sent you an email, Frank. had a great weekend - Hamburg is amazing. ended up doing a bunch of cool shit like drinking up at the Tower Bar, the obligatory Reeper Bahn walk and had the best steak I've ever had at Arizona Steak House. would go back in a heartbeat and bring my board next time - so many nice spots everywhere!

spots? where? stll having a hard time to find some, haha.

twitchflip

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 06:05:21 AM »
can't remember all the spots by their names but there's a really nice 2 flat 3 set and ledges at st. nikolai church, perfect flat bars around every corner and really nice street gaps around the eimsbuttel area. spent most of saturday walking around the city and I remember seeing a few nice wallrides, manual pads and other random spots along willy brandt strasse

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 09:13:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Here are some spots in Hamburg if you're too lazy to find something yourself in your own city^^
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 12:00:28 PM »
nah, I just wanted to bitch around. hamburg has some spots, that's right. problem for me is that I grew up in a city with a huge amount of street spots that can be reached within a couple of minutes by board, perfect ground and lots of hills. spoiled inner city kid.