Author Topic: Looking for some PALS in Guangzhou China  (Read 10762 times)

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
Looking for some PALS in Guangzhou China
« on: May 06, 2013, 05:13:06 PM »
I just moved here last week til January to teach English. So far there are many spots available but not too many skaters. Any PALS living in Guangzhou or near by? Thanks!
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

chockfullofthat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
Re: Looking for some PALS in Guangzhou China
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
I don't think we have any Chinese based posters here.

crackrazor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 02:16:51 PM »
Not to take away from your topic, but was that teaching position hard to get?

Suangi

• Rep: 9
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 11:02:04 AM »
Related question from me. I'm currently teaching in Barcelona. I also did my CELTA here but I get offers all the time for Guangzou. What's it like? Are you enjoying it? I'm definitely considering it.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 06:00:01 AM »
Im glad to answer any questions. It wasn't too hard. I had my Bachelors and a TEFL certificate so that makes it easier to get hired as a English teacher in China. It's pretty easy to get go to eslcafe.com and there usually a lot of job posts for China.

I applied and within a week I was in the process of signing the contract(usually one school year which is 8 months) - the thing is that when you arrive to China you'll see how they get down in a different manner when it comes to conducting business- Not sure where you guys are from but I came from the US where things are really solidified and punctual. That being said when I got here the company I work for said that they can cancel classes a moments notice or if part of your job is "on-call" they can call you within a moments notice.

I would highly suggest that if a company does offer you  a position a good way to make sure it's a good company is that they will provide you with a Z-Visa. Also try to see if they can put you in contact with other people who've taught for the company. For me I have met about 4 other foreign teachers who've had positive experiences for the most part with this company. I guess things just work different out here when it comes to contracts but no ones been "screwed-over" or cheated - all these teachers I know have worked well over one school year (usually 8 months). Two of them are re-newing their contracts. One other thing - they will often reimburse your flight there a long with medical expenses upon completion of the contract which they don't mention when their pitching you the offer. I have really good faith based on my 4 co-workers who've gave me a good feedback. By the way the companies name is Worlda International.

So Living in China is something else- The first two days were insane but I've been here for almost three weeks and I love it. I live in Guangzhou - a city with lots of foreigners, amazing transit and pretty good rent for a 1-2 bedroom apartment. The place I'm at doesn't have too many foreigners but I don't really mind it. Many people are really down to socialize and hang out. I'd also suggest getting some basic Mandarin down just to get by (hello, thank you, sorry, and NUMBERS are fucking important cause foreigners are targets of getting ripped off) - while most prices are marked, street markets don;t often mark prices. Each day I've been here I see and learn something new. Teaching kids from k2-k4 is really fun- If you're good with working with kids... I can go on and on. PM me if you have any more questions.. Hope this helps?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 08:53:07 PM by fulfillthedream »

[

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 06:02:50 AM »
Also for skateboarding- AMAZING. TOns of spots and no one says SHIT- if any thing you'll be swarmed with people just watching and talking photos of you doing a flat ground kickflip. Martyrs Park is a sick place where a lot of local skaters meet  up to skate flat. Its right by Hero Skateshop. Dope skate scene although it's small its really growing and people are down to meet new skaters and introduce them into the "scene".

It does get really humid so that wears me out but day by day im getting more used to the climate. Just bring tons of shorts, and those nike/underarmour shirts that wick out moisture cause you'll sweat like crazy. At least this time of the year I heard its like this.

[

knex

• Rep: 30
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 07:18:44 AM »
Hey. Are you still in Gz?

I live in Foshan, about 40 minutes outside Guangzhong and I'd love to meet another actual skater without having to go back and forth looking for skaters and spots every other day! Also working as a TEFL teacher so we even have something in common.

Hit me up if you're down. Sorry to dig up an old thread if that's a thing here.

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 05:11:33 AM »
Damn dude look out for Ip Man