Author Topic: Louisiana...  (Read 1065 times)

sebastian toombs

Louisiana...
« on: December 16, 2006, 05:24:45 PM »
Is anyone here from Louisiana?  Specifically, Baton Rouge-- Im supposed to go to a conference there in late February.  If anyone can tell me about the town (things to do, places to stay and eat), Id appreciate it.

TheMoneyMellon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Louisiana...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 05:47:13 PM »

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 06:29:33 PM »
I live in Hammond, but I work in Baton Rouge so I'm there just about every day man (I lived there for a while as well). Like Money Mellon said, you have to hit the walls... there's a lot to skate all around downtown (where the walls are located) too. I'd be more than happy to show you around the city.

Edited to add: you might want to skate in Hammond while you're that close, too... we have a Dreamland park and we're only about 45 minutes away.

jrock

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 06:51:27 PM »
i'm from outside of NOLA, but I lived in BR for a while.  You have to skate the Centroplex...best spot of all time.  Its right in the middle of downtown.  Smooth brick tiles, ledges for miles (though some of em are pretty shitted up due to BMXers), and just about any size stairs you could ever want to skate.  Follow the footbridge across to the river, and there are even more spots (more stairs, some ledges with angle-iron over a sand gap).  The tranny walls pictured above are also a must, just stay away from the windows because they will boot you in a minute.  You should check out the catfish banks too.  Its a parking lot with a bunch of concrete humps that make really fun hips; they're right under the interstate near the river.  Other than that, there are lots of random spots dotted around the suburbs, but you might need to ask some locals for some specifics.  I'm sure you'll run into someone at any of the above listed spots. 

For food, you should check out Raising Cane's chicken fingers (a local favorite), Louies (for diner type grub), and the Chimes for something a little classier.  These are all found at the North gate of LSU campus.  For nightlife, check out The Spanish Moon for shows, and any of the bars on Chimes street are cool (at least they were when I lived there), just watch out for white thugsters and gutterpunks.  Kids used to get seriously beat down out there on the regular.  Also check out Red Star downtown for an artsier vibe.  DEFINITELY avoid the frat bars, most of em are in an area called Tiger Alley; trust me, just stay away. 

BR is pretty chill and laid back; you'll have fun.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 06:59:33 PM by jrock »

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 06:22:27 AM »
Is there still that spot under the bridge in BR. I used to go skate at some spot with banks that was under a freeway bridge.

Oh and jrock hit the nail on the head as far as the beat downs go. You really got to watch out and if some shit starts stiring up it best to try to get out of it because who ever will most likely have a how crew of dickheads with him. When I live in La I saw so many guys get stomped by 6-8 frat boys. It would usually happend once or twice a week.

sheffledge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 06:43:55 AM »
peace to all the katrina families

they are truly stellar

and i pray for all of them

george bush has got some serious karma comin

that insurmountable

i am thankful for everything and everyone i got

forreal

THANK YOU JESUS

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 08:20:31 AM »
Is there still that spot under the bridge in BR. I used to go skate at some spot with banks that was under a freeway bridge.
Yeah, that's the Cat Banks... not only are they still there, but there's a new ledge and a nut-sacking high rail bolted into the ground now. A few of us hit it lat weekend, good shit as always.

Oh yeah, Jrock... TT?

I'll make sure to show him everything... I'l try to get Wardell and some of the other BR heads out too.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 05:59:05 PM »
Good to hear that spots still going. Last time I skated it was probably 92 or so.