Author Topic: Horror Movies  (Read 19897 times)

Greg Road

Horror Movies
« on: October 07, 2013, 08:35:24 AM »
Since it's almost Halloween, I'm sure most will be watching lots of horror movies. So what are some of your favorites - what are some recent ones you've seen that are good? Recommend something!

Dr Steve Brule

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
Re: Horror Movies
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 08:41:16 AM »
Finally saw A Cabin In The Woods after all the hype, it was pretty cool. 
For Your Health

Merked

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -157
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 09:05:45 AM »

Backing this.  Thought that movie was going to be shit.  It was not.

Recent horror movies are mostly shit.  The ending of Insidious (the first one) gave me the creeps, but wasn't the best movie overall.   
I suck at SLAP.

cant stop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
  • It's all about tricks.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »
I fucking hate horror movies. But The Conjuring was really, really good.
You know what sucks? I always rip my pants when Im having a good time! - The Gonz

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 09:57:50 AM »
My favorite thing about horror movies is that when you say "horror movie" it sounds like you're saying "whore movie"

The Human Condom

• Rep: 45
  • Free condoms! Free condoms from The Human Condom.
    • : /skeɪt/ avatar image
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 10:08:17 AM »
"The Exorcist" is one of the scariest movies I've seen.
"House of the Devil" is a recent favorite. Ti West's other films are pretty good too.
"The Shining" is classic. I thought the first "V/H/S" was entertaining.
"American Mary" is pretty gruesome.

stratosphere

• Rep: 8
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 11:14:59 AM »
all the classics
martyrs is pretty wild
inside
if you wanna get high as shit and laugh and be disgusted at the same time, watch bad taste or dead alive

Yu Dum

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 01:34:48 PM »
The concept was cool, but as far as a "horror" movie goes it was pretty laughable.
But that's just how I felt.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 02:06:58 PM »
Slither and Tucker and Dale vs Evil.  Both horror comedy.  Both on Netflix.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 03:20:18 PM »

"House of the Devil" is a recent favorite. Ti West's other films are pretty good too.

"House of the Devil" was fantastic.. one of my favorite modern horror films.  never seen Ti West's others, i heard the Innkeepers was so so.

I know this could get me laughed out of the building but the new Evil Dead.  try not to compare it to the original... basically it takes the story/concept of the original, takes out all the goofiness and AMPS up the gore; to holy shit levels at points.  really, really good.

Insidious was great, although the end got a little too fantasy for me.

I watched that movie Sinister, with Ethan Hawke, which was pretty good (all these movies, like Conjuring/insidious/Sinister, are basically the same in tone and creepy imagery, and plot in some cases).

Also can't recommend Let The Right One In enough.. and the American counterpart Let Me In, which to me was just as good.

Greg Road

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 04:32:41 PM »
Quote from: stratosphere  link=topic=73549.msg2009515#msg2009515 date=1381169699
martyrs is pretty wild
inside

These come up a lot and I was considering watching Martyrs tonight or maybe House of the Devil.

I watched Dog Soldiers today and it was pretty good. I watched Teeth last night and it was pretty hilarious. I watched The Mist today, and once again didn't really enjoy it.

I didn't care too much for Cabin in the Woods either - the concept was clever and it was funny at times.

Also, not exactly a horror movie - more a crazy thriller - Kill List is worth a watch - the ending is pretty nuts.

newhampster

• Rep: 7
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 04:48:01 PM »
Anyone seen Antichrist with Willem Dafoe? That movie had some bizarre shit in it. And the sex scene at the beginning had full penetration haha.

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 05:05:01 PM »
I 3rd House of the Devil. Not only is it my favorite modern horror movie, but it's one of the best horror movies that I have ever watched.
His other movies are very good, but not as incredible as this one.

I recently watched 1408 the other day. It was better than I expected. It'd be a good one to watch for Halloween.

The first three Friday the 13th movies, Halloween (original), Evil Dead II, etc.

The Shining is great, but I don't necessarily consider it to be a "horror movie," it's more along the lines of a psychological thriller.

If you're looking for "mind fuck" movies, check out Eraserhead or Begotten --- they're rough to watch if you aren't into art films. David Lynch is a fantastic director all around.

Yu Dum

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 05:30:11 PM »
I 3rd House of the Devil. Not only is it my favorite modern horror movie, but it's one of the best horror movies that I have ever watched.
His other movies are very good, but not as incredible as this one.

I recently watched 1408 the other day. It was better than I expected. It'd be a good one to watch for Halloween.

The first three Friday the 13th movies, Halloween (original), Evil Dead II, etc.

The Shining is great, but I don't necessarily consider it to be a "horror movie," it's more along the lines of a psychological thriller.

If you're looking for "mind fuck" movies, check out Eraserhead or Begotten --- they're rough to watch if you aren't into art films. David Lynch is a fantastic director all around.
Eraserhead was disturbing.

starvingrobot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 25
  • Keep It +
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 05:43:15 PM »
Just in case you didn't know and used to fuck with the Chuck, there's a new one out on DVD/blu ray tomorrow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpLWaNVyRcY

Hammersleycinema

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 05:53:52 PM »

I know this could get me laughed out of the building but the new Evil Dead.  try not to compare it to the original... basically it takes the story/concept of the original, takes out all the goofiness and AMPS up the gore; to holy shit levels at points.  really, really good.

I liked the new Evil Dead.  Blood bursts toward the end had me laughing in the theater.

Drag Me To Hell was another good mix of horror/comedy

OG Omen is up there, but I just really like the look of horror films from the 70s
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 06:12:57 PM by Midwest Disconnect »

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 05:59:37 PM »
i fukk with rob zombie movies. the devils backbone/pans labyrinth are sick but not exactly horror. oldboy and i saw the devil too. i watched this japanese movie uzamaki when i was a kid about a town that all become obsessed with spirals, i bet it sucked but it was really creepy at the time and i still think about ityears later. not much worth seeing from the last 20 years though. the exorcist, the changeling, the shining, amityville horror, and all the classics if you havent yet.

stratosphere

• Rep: 8
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 10:16:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I liked the new Evil Dead.  Blood bursts toward the end had me laughing in the theater.

I thought it was really really good and the original is one of my favorite movies ever. thank christ sam raimi and campbell were part of the production. without them i think they would have butchered the remake

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 10:26:39 PM »
Rosemary's Baby. Not exactly what most people think of when you say horror movie, but it paralyzed me with fear when I first saw it in my teens. One of my favourite movies period.

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 11:11:17 PM »
Some good picks here.

I can't back Cabin in the Woods for a second. I get what it was trying to do. I think it beats you over the head with what it was trying to do but I found the idea really dumb. The self aware, deconstruction of really obvious horror tropes didn't impress me at all. I hate the Scream series for similar reasons.

I can't recommend Martyrs enough. That movie delights in fucking with you and throwing you for a loop with every twist and turn.
Return of the Living Dead
Night, Dawn and Day of the Dead
V/H/S
The Fly
Zombie 2/ Zombi/ Zombie Flesh Eaters (This damn thing has a lot of alternate titles) It features a Zombie fighting a shark.
Ti West is doing some great work. His movies are a really burn but he actually gives a shit and puts time and thought into his characters.
The Exorcist of course but do yourself a favor and check out The Exorcist 3 as well.
Pieces
The Descent
REC
The Sentinel
Black Christmas
House on Haunted Hill (the original)
Sleepaway Camp (If only for the ending)
The Burbs (Its certainly not a horror film but it has a light hearted halloween feel)

Anyone seen Antichrist with Willem Dafoe? That movie had some bizarre shit in it. And the sex scene at the beginning had full penetration haha.

I believe that was a stunt cock.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:20:28 AM by landCow »

Greg Road

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 05:18:50 AM »
watched The House of the Devil - it was soooo good! He really nailed the whole 70's looking horror flick - it was incredible. The tension building all the way through. Ya it ruled.

And I love The Burbs!

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 10:34:29 AM »
i watched strangers a few nights ago. that one was pretty good. i dont know if the purge would qualify as horror, but im going to rent that tonight.

i bought this at the movie store for a few bucks. story is alright, but the gore and torture is totally fucked up. its worth checking out.

THE LOVED ONES Trailer 2012 Movie - Official [HD]

Bukkakekills

• Rep: -2
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 10:42:18 AM »
house of 1000 corpses is great

Devils rejects was disapointing
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 10:45:18 AM by Bukkakekills »

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 01:51:17 PM »
house of 1000 corpses is great

Devils rejects was disapointing

Was just about to post this!! The ending in house of 1000 was so boss.  Devils rejects had it's moments but wasn't hyped.

Cabin in the woods was fucking bad. Like really bad.

Thai horror is fucking rad. Art of the devil 2 is gnarly.
Twin Perks

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 07:01:57 PM »
Texas Chainsaw Massacre is my all-time scariest

Last House On The Left is a close second, but first in terms of mere fucked up-ness.  That's a movie I never need to watch again.

REC was great.

The Burbs is a classic!

Good to see House of the Devil get some love, that movie was great (but jocelyn donahue is mine!)

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 07:24:03 PM »
Exorcist as rokaudio said.
Probably In the monitory on this, but Halloween 3. So bad it's good.
The Return of the Living Dead
The serpent and the rainbow

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 08:03:10 PM »

dillanharp

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 08:50:54 PM »
Drag me to Hell and the Descent are semi recent ones I really liked.

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 09:29:23 PM »

I am thrilled to see the burbs getting some love here! It isn't horror but it is seriously one of my favourite movies. When I'm staring at my shelves of DVD's and can't decide on what to watch I quite often say "Fuck it! The 'burbs again!" Because I know, no matter my mood I will enjoy the hell out of it.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 11:54:03 PM »
Just in case you didn't know and used to fuck with the Chuck, there's a new one out on DVD/blu ray tomorrow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpLWaNVyRcY

This was bad and kept crumbling towards the end. The lead actress is Brad Dourif's daughter and looks like him with make-up and dyed hair.

This one qualifies as horror, I guess.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 02:43:30 AM by Garth Marenghi »