Author Topic: Deck Question: What would you do?  (Read 1474 times)

shredbuffalo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -43
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Deck Question: What would you do?
« on: October 18, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »
Here's the scenario: Baker is my favorite company/team, but I've had some bad luck with a few of their decks. I had a Figgy deck that I loved and it lasted me a pretty long time but the next two (a team logo and a Reynolds deck) snapped when they were basically brand new (probably three hours of skating on each, both kickflips off of small drops, landed on the tail instead of bolts, snapped right at the back truck.) ***Before you guys start chiming in with, "Land bolts next time!" or "Lose some weight!", nobody lands bolts every time and I weigh 145lbs., so don't bother. Thanks.

There's another Figgy Deck that I really want to buy but I've been avoiding Baker decks since those two broke on me. Would you guys give your favorite company another chance if you felt that their products weren't up to snuff in the past, or just move on and find something else?

Right now I'm riding an Anti Hero team deck that's cool but all of their decks are a little bit longer than I usually buy and the concave is a little mellow for me.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
Re: Deck Question: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 11:07:38 AM »
I've heard decks can break easier when they're brand new because of how stiff they are. Once they break in they'll have more flex and then you can start jumping off of stuff. I don't know if that's actually true, but it's a thought.

Randozzi

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 11:11:29 AM »
sometimes you go through phases where you break boards. my fat ass broke 3 in two weeks, different companies/wood shops.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 11:14:39 AM »
Agree with both replies. If you believe in Baker boards, are down to support them, and that's what you feel most comfortable on, I would give them another shot. Breaking boards can happen at any time.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 11:38:56 AM »
if i felt they were lesser quality i wouldn't keep supporting

but this case does not seem to be indicating lesser quality, just that you happened to break some boards

Morty Seinfeld

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 01:47:33 PM »
I broke a Polar board after skating it four times, doing a flat ground 360 flip. And I'm not a heavy person by any means. But that doesn't mean that I'll quit buying their boards.

shredbuffalo

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 02:26:37 PM »
Word...Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to give them another chance, grab the Figgy deck, and see what happens. If I'm happy with it and it lasts I'll be a loyal customer again; if it snaps I guess I'll have to chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 02:47:59 PM »

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 03:45:13 PM »
If it's a brand I like, I'd continue to support it.  If you've had good luck with them in the past, it could just be a bad batch of decks.

Maybe move up to a wider board.

I don't know what woodshop does Baker and Deathwish.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 01:54:11 AM »
Personally, I hope that if I was bothered so much by this to post to a message board I would be inspired to stop being a faggot

nylin

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 02:15:11 AM »
sometimes you go through phases where you break boards. my fat ass broke 3 in two weeks, different companies/wood shops.

This. I've always skated Girl/Choco boards and in like 8th or 9th grade I went through a phase where I broke like 5 in a month doing flatground tricks. Skated a shop board then got another Girl board and haven't had the problem since.

shredbuffalo

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 04:17:25 PM »
Personally, I hope that if I was bothered so much by this to post to a message board I would be inspired to stop being a faggot

Instead, you were so bothered by me talking about skateboards on a skateboarding message board that you were inspired to leave a cunty reply...Pure genius son.

escapistfool

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 01:37:26 AM »
If it's a brand I like, I'd continue to support it.  If you've had good luck with them in the past, it could just be a bad batch of decks.

Maybe move up to a wider board.

I don't know what woodshop does Baker and Deathwish.

I'm not really sure. A few months back I was skating Hansen Dam skatepark and Fos from Heroin happened to be skating there as well. I ended up snapping my board on a front disaster (typical of me for being a fat fuck) and Fos was nice enough to offer me a free heroin deck. I had that board for a good month (which is rare for me as I go through boards every 2 to 3 weeks) and only boards that have given me that kind of longevity were DLX decks (which are Bareback I believe?)

Is Bakerboys using Generator now?

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 07:10:10 AM »
If I landed a kickflip off a drop with my back foot on the tail I'd expect a lot of brands to at least crack.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE