Author Topic: Cop or Not?: New Balance Stratford's (review)  (Read 3676 times)

dask8d00d

Cop or Not?: New Balance Stratford's (review)
« on: October 22, 2013, 11:51:26 AM »
Cop or Not is a new shoe review series I'm doing that basically serves as somewhat of a quick buyer's guide for those thinking about picking up some of the new shoe models out there. No ten paragraph descriptions of toecaps or multiple number ratings. I pretty much just skate the shoe for about 10 hours to get a feel for them, write a simple, straight to the point description of how they skate, and give my recommendations as to what kind of skater would get the most out of said shoe. I'll post pictures to show the main areas for general wear and tear but I'm not spending a month doing more kickflips than usual in order to test durability. Everybody skates different and in turn wears down their shoes differently so I'm asking anyone who's skated these shoes to chime in and share their experiences. Anyways, let's get to it.

SIZING & FIT
   These shoes have a very streamlined feel to them. They seem to have just enough padding in the collar while overall just feeling as slim as possible. They aren't over the top comfortable, but they feel solid. They fit true to size (got them in my usual size 10) but like I said its very streamlined. They feel as tight & snug as possible without cramping your feet at all. It's a very delicate balance that NB pulled off pretty well in my opinion. If you have wide feet you might want to go half a size or maybe even a full size up if you really need that extra space.

UPPER & SKATEABILITY
   If I had to describe the type of suede on these I'd say it's quality mid-grade suede. They don't seem super high quality like DC Super-Suede or the suede used in the Emerica Reynolds, but its pretty solid and not bad by any means. Again the upper is has that thinner feel to it like the rest of the shoe but the toecap is reinforced a little bit. The shape of the toe itself is fairly pointy. People who have more of a delicate, toe-heavy flicking motion when they do their fliptricks should love it. The fused-on N on the side adds a little bit of durability in that area as well because it isn't paper-thin as seen in some of the Nike models that use a similar process for the swoosh.

INSOLE, MIDSOLE, & OUTSOLE
   I actually really like the insole in these. It seems to just be your typical EVA insert but it provides some good cushioning and has that "springy" rebounding feel to it when you press down on them. I've actually used them in other shoes too so they're definitely good for that. They're really the only thing on these shoes that doesn't seem to be as slimmed down as possible, not that they're "bulky" or anything like that. As far as impact support goes, these are doing most of the work for these shoes.

The midsole is pretty thin with a little bit of built in foam. I bent & flexed them with my hands before I skated em and were literally 100% broken-in after about an hour of skating them, which was nice. It hasa lot of boardfeel especially for a cupsole but it isn't exactly built for super-high impact. Like I said, the insole is doing most of the work with support and is good enough for low to medium sized impact, but I'm not looking to jump down anything bigger than a 6 stair in these. Obviously that won't be an issue to most people on here, but if you DO jump down shit frequently, this shoe might not be your first choice to do it in. Then again, Ishod jumped down the LOVE gap in janoski's so if you really value a ton of boardfeel over support you might be OK with that.

The outsole uses a grippy but still kind of hard rubber, with a solid tread pattern. However, the pattern itself isn't all that deep. The harder rubber should help with it's durability but if you got that ashtray foot I'd imagine that it'd bald out over time. Still, the grip is solid and the shoe flexes well so I'd say its feels pretty solid.

Would Recommend for: People who skate a lot of tech stuff should love these & vulc-heads looking for a cupsole shoe with as much boardfeel as possible should look in to them as well if interested.

Would Not Recommend for: Anyone who prefers to have more supportive shoes. That's how I am personally and while I do think these are quality shoes that felt great when I skated ledges & flatbars, overall it's just not my type of shoe.

chockfullofthat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
Re: Cop or Not?: New Balance Stratford's (review)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 12:07:30 PM »
You wrote all that about a shoe?

kamltoe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -443
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 12:45:39 PM »
tight, you starting a blog? you should make it a youtube series and throw some footy in there.

K

Quote from: The Gipper

Classic keyboard skate champion talk right there.

you need to stop thinking people do what you tell them bc they dont.

dask8d00d

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 12:48:28 PM »
tight, you starting a blog? you should make it a youtube series and throw some footy in there.

K

no blog but I do have footy in these

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 02:17:12 PM »
Welcome Back.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 04:14:08 PM »
Nice review, thanks for taking the time to do it.

I am considering a pair. Just can't quit my Howards.

foureyedjim

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 04:15:04 PM »
THE D00D IS BACK

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 04:41:31 PM »
ha. told you you'd focus.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

dask8d00d

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 04:47:52 PM »
Nice review, thanks for taking the time to do it.

I am considering a pair. Just can't quit my Howards.

thanks man glad you found it useful! i haven't skated the howards but I have seen them in person at shop in town and they're pretty similar. I'd imagine if you like those you'd like these as well. you will probably go thru laces a bit faster tho, haha.

SEAN PABLO

• Rep: -78
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 05:00:24 PM »
YALL ARE FUCKED UP

DeputyDoses

• Rep: 4
  • I look like Mel Gibson
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 06:07:04 PM »
Solid review.
And with the footage, that 50-50 up was fucking RAD.

---New account?

Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
  • PHILA
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 06:31:46 PM »
so should i cop or not

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 11:27:43 PM »
You should throw a rap about the shoe in there.

Something to make it stand out.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 01:18:48 AM »
Expand Quote

K
[close]

that 5050 was really good!

plod

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 02:59:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

K
[close]

[close]

that 5050 was really good!

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 04:58:00 AM »

dask8d00d

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 05:00:27 AM »
^ I state who I would & wouldn't recommend these for at the end of the review

aaronagis

• Rep: -3
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 10:22:16 AM »
I've been skating these for a little bit. I agree with the mid grade suede thing, its not super thick, but I do believe it has another layer of rubbery TPU type stuff beneath the suede, so that helps with durability. I found these to be insanely grippy, and they have a fantastic flick. I liked them enough I want to find another pair. having trouble since they are pretty rare, and  I got the last ones in my size from my  local shop.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 12:32:21 PM »
This actually makes me want to give these or the Quincey (anyone skate these?) a try, nice review Will. ? My only critique is the photos aren't very good which makes it hard to see the wear of the shoes.

How is the interior of the shoe? ? I'm really into the no-seam interior of the Koston 2 and KA-II.

? 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 12:35:29 PM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »
proper heelflip D00D. If you havent seen the new balances in person they really are high quality, and comfortable

dask8d00d

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 02:36:03 PM »
This actually makes me want to give these or the Quincey (anyone skate these?) a try, nice review Will. ? My only critique is the photos aren't very good which makes it hard to see the wear of the shoes.

How is the interior of the shoe? ? I'm really into the no-seam interior of the Koston 2 and KA-II.

? 

haha yeah sorry man i dont really have a hi-res camera or anything like that so my iphones gonna have to do. the inside is grey as seen in the pictures for about a little bit more than a third of the shoe but goes to black throughout the rest. it's solid. that's really the best way I can describe the quality of this shoe just...solid. People who like thinner, more streamlined cupsoles should love em tho.

I've been skating these for a little bit. I agree with the mid grade suede thing, its not super thick, but I do believe it has another layer of rubbery TPU type stuff beneath the suede, so that helps with durability. I found these to be insanely grippy, and they have a fantastic flick. I liked them enough I want to find another pair. having trouble since they are pretty rare, and  I got the last ones in my size from my  local shop.

i know tactics has these in all 4 colorways although the available sizes varies with each

http://www.tactics.com/new-balance/stratford-479-skate-shoes

dillanharp

Bliz

• Rep: -35
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 04:10:58 PM »
Expand Quote

K
[close]

Can't wait to see more footage and more product reviews from you man!

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 01:19:09 PM »
Just realized you stole the "Cop or Not" thing from solecollector...not cool man

dask8d00d

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 01:46:21 PM »
Just realized you stole the "Cop or Not" thing from solecollector...not cool man

lol i wouldn't say i stole it. it isn't too hard for someone who writes raps every day to come up with "cop or not" as name for a simplified shoe-review series. i don't even go on sole collector nor do i get paid for this shit or anything like that. it aint like I'm next ripped laces or weartested, I just write reviews on SLAP for fun because ima skate nerd & i know people find them useful.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 01:48:09 PM by DaSk8D00D »

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
I'm just razzin' you know we all appreciate any more news we can get on gear. I'm glad you wrote this, I will not cop. I copped those red lunar gatos though

foley_

• Rep: 7
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2013, 04:30:16 PM »