Author Topic: bigger wheels?  (Read 3798 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
bigger wheels?
« on: October 11, 2013, 02:27:54 PM »
So i've been sizing up my wheels and whole set up in general lately because i've been skating a lot more tranny lately and starting to suck less and less at it (some would even say that im decent)

anyway, i got some mini logo 56mm "A cuts" on my setup few weeks ago and cannot lock into a grind to to save my life. I bashed my knee slipping out of a handrail. today bought some OJ 56mm wheels

so do bigger wheels just make grinds harder?

weaselhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: bigger wheels?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 02:37:02 PM »
I think grind difficulty can depend on size to an extent (krooked grinds and smiths are harder for me with larger wheels sometimes), but also depends on the shape of the wheel (krooked grinds are definitely harder for me with conical wheels) and how used to that shape and size you have gotten
I heard it today, "make money, buy sandwiches".

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 10:51:01 AM »
I always thought it was easier to grind with bigger wheels, smaller wheels are harder to get on the coping. I have found 56mm to be the perfect all around sized wheel. I have ridden everything from 63mm to 45mm in my 28 years of skating and 56mm is my all time favorite, in the last 5 years 95% of my wheels have been this size.

weaselhead

• Rep: 36
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 11:03:55 AM »
I always thought it was easier to grind with bigger wheels, smaller wheels are harder to get on the coping. I have found 56mm to be the perfect all around sized wheel. I have ridden everything from 63mm to 45mm in my 28 years of skating and 56mm is my all time favorite, in the last 5 years 95% of my wheels have been this size.

I think it's easier to get onto coping with bigger wheels, but for certain grinds (any grind where your board is tilted while you're going straight, especially on ledges) I've noticed small wheels can make things easier in certain circumstances...that being said I still back large wheels. 56-58's treat me well
I heard it today, "make money, buy sandwiches".

Particleboard Penguin

• Rep: 10
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 11:32:30 AM »
If you just switched to bigger wheels, it's gonna affect your pop and timing since your tail is now raised a few more millimeters off the ground. Plus now your setup is slightly heavier so flip tricks are gonna feel different. I'd imagine that big wheels would lock into 50-50's better on a rail, though.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 09:07:54 AM »
i got some regular shaped wheels. and dont have the problem anymore, still 56mm

long story short, fuck minilogo acuts

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 06:29:13 PM »
I started this year riding 56mm. Been on 55-57 for as long as I can remember, with 56 always being my go to. As this year went on, I progressively went down in size and now don't want to go away from 53. Point being, you can pretty much get used to any size wheel.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 05:41:42 PM »
I started this year riding 56mm. Been on 55-57 for as long as I can remember, with 56 always being my go to. As this year went on, I progressively went down in size and now don't want to go away from 53. Point being, you can pretty much get used to any size wheel.
Which is why you should go bigger, cause they are objectively faster. I started riding 60's 4-5 months ago and changed to some 53's a while ago to test them out. Worst feeling ever.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 03:33:49 AM »
Jumped from 56s to some softer 60s because I was getting "old".  Thought I could rock with those on my regular set up.  No fucking way.  Super clunky for skating street.  Back to some 56mm PFC; almost got 54s, but the streets just too real where I'm at.  The 60mm 85As are sick for cruising the rough pavement though and are going on a cruiser soon...

Miguelito

• Rep: 2
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 09:09:27 AM »
I live in an area with pretty rough ground too, and having bigger wheels really helped for pushing around, but the wheel bite I would get  made me want to switch back to smaller ones.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 10:30:41 AM »

have skated 38mm to 60 on street...settled on 58 during EEIII days, then 54mm during Photosynthesis days, then back up to 55-56 while living in NYC, now down to 52mm, primarily because I continue to ride looser and looser trucks.  for me, i've noticed i also usually change wheel size along with the seasons.  usually skate bigger wheels in the cooler months when I'm flipping my board less and skating more transition, and then drop down in the summer when im more inclined to get flippity.
hardly art, hardly starving