Author Topic: Sydney Australia  (Read 5239 times)

Plato

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Sydney Australia
« on: October 30, 2013, 02:43:59 PM »
So in two weeks time I will be in Sydney and I have some questions about the city.

Any help would be appreciated as I only know one person in Australia and they are on the other side of Oz.

1) Are there any skate shops in Sydney? A quick online search proved fruitless.

2) What are the main spots? either street or park (I'm based close to Martin Place).

3) Areas of the city to avoid?

4) Best place for nightlife? preferably rock/ metal bars.

5) Any annual skate jams in Oz?

6) Cheapest place to shop for food? the basics of eggs, porridge etc.

7) Bit of a long shot but If any one knows of any work going on in Sydney? I have a holiday working visa so I can do 99% of jobs.

I land in two weeks and any help would be appreciated.

If any skaters in Sydney see a pale 6"4 guy after the 14th skating come and say hi.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 03:04:51 PM »
go to hyde park in the late afternoon, it's flatground and beers. waterloo skatepark is good as well as

99degrees skateshop. http://www.99degrees.com.au/

they have a sick spot map too http://www.99degrees.com.au/contents/en-us/d37.html

eat burgers at "grill'd" http://www.grilld.com.au/
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 03:07:05 PM by pica »

Plato

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 03:30:27 PM »
Thanks Pica

That is what I was looking for, a decent skate shop in Sydney.

Unfortunately, I will have to give the burgers a miss as I am a vegetarian.

Also whats the situation with the police? Are they particularly harsh or lenient and just tell you to leave?

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 04:15:33 PM »
i'm a vegetarian too. this place is sick because they offer 3 different vegetarian/vegan burgers as well, and they are really fresh and good.
not that boring veggie pattie you get everywhere.
also all the thai places close to martin's place are great for vegetarian food.  

i dunno about the cops, but i had no trouble at all with the police while i was there.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 04:17:15 PM by pica »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 05:52:43 AM »

Unfortunately, I will have to give the burgers a miss as I am a vegetarian.

you will want to live at the macrobiotic joint called "iku" then; they have stores all throughout sydney.
go and skate keirle park in manly too (just cuz it used to be my local). the ferry ride over there is a good way to see the harbour as well.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Jejenhausen

• Rep: -72
  • This is good news
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 09:13:32 PM »
Generally police in Australia are super mellow,  tell you to move on and the like. Just try and avoid drinking in public while skating.

and also remember, that while they often won't give you a ticket, doesn't mean they can't.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1490
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 06:13:04 PM »
Is Bondi or Maroubra any fun still? 

Also, I enjoyed the bars in Coogee when I was around those parts.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 01:34:32 PM »
as previously mentioned, go to 99 degrees. as a bonus you'll be really close to oxford street  ;).

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 04:08:30 PM »
as previously mentioned, go to 99 degrees. as a bonus you'll be really close to oxford street  ;).

Double bonus you'll probably run into the world's greatest skateboarder Dean Palmer

Plato

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeh I'll definitely be heading there. Its always beneficial to know where the skate shop is fist.

Moist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
  • Deaf and Dumb
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 07:23:08 PM »
Just skate around the city and you are sure to find spots/ask the locals too. Skate Chifley and the red brick banks in Darling Harbour (FF Carroll bluntslide flip out) on Sunday. Waterloo is your best bet and the lights are on until 9 or 10 at night. Head up the road 5 minutes and you'll hit Redfern Park which has a fun little street plaza.

Boarders in Brookvale has probably the biggest selection for skate goods in Oz. You can get the ferry across to Manly which is a great way to see the harbour and hit up Manly bowl on your way there.

Night life hit up Oxford Art Factory, a lot of skaters go there and they sell cheap jugs of beer, its also a great music venue if you want to catch a live gig.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 10:54:15 PM »
I went to sydney last december and had some couchsurfers i stayed with who worked all day and didn't skate. I went to Hyde Park in the downtown area and just found dude's skating who'd invite me to roll a long with em to a local spot or a park. Pretty nice and friendly local skaters. I ran into other traveling skaters too- Well I was in Bondi which is full of travelers.  Usually we'd just skate around and try finding shit to skate with out and local insight. Always more wise to have a local with ya. Beer and Food wise bro Aus is a bit pricey but you can buy good  food at a grocery store if you have a house/apartment you're staying at.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

RudySucks

• Rep: 28
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 03:11:38 PM »
Does anyone know other good websites or local videos of the scene in Sydney? I'm going for a couple weeks at the end of March and I love getting a feel for what the skating and spots are like in a new city.

Also appreciate the advice already given to Plato, I'll be sure check out the flatground at Hyde Park, sounds like my kinda spot.

I'll also be in Perth for a week and driving from Adelaide to Cairns along the coast so if anyone's got advice on must see skate parks, snorkeling, kangaroo sanctuaries or anything in between please let me know.

The best times I've ever had traveling have been with locals so as awkwardly forward as it might be, if anyone is down to meet up for a beer or some mellow skating somewhere along the way send me a message. I'd be happy to return the favour in Canada.

Cheers, Justin

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 12:08:28 AM »
http://www.skatespots.com.au/
This is surprisingly useful, its a little user-submitted database. Just sort by nearest to your location and take it from there.