Author Topic: Odense, Denmark  (Read 694 times)

Seamus_McShamebag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
Odense, Denmark
« on: November 05, 2013, 09:22:31 AM »
Sorry if this wasn't worth it's own thread but everything I could find relative to Denmark already focused a lot on Copenhagen which is kind of my concern so I am looking for info specific to Odense.  Whenever I travel I like to do a little online research that pretty much entails finding whatever skate footage I can find online, spot the local skate shops and skate parks, and peruse Google Maps to see what kind of street action might be had and I am coming up a little dry with Odense.  I am not having a lot of success and given that my situation might actually entail moving and living there I am a lot more picky on the skating opportunities.  Everything seems to be focused on Copenhagen which looks like a completely rad place with everything I would want but, from what I can tell, the commute to Odense would be any hour and a half each way by train and I really don't want to sign up for that much commuting every day.   Any advice or knowledge that anybody could share would be immensely appreciated.  I would obviously visit to check the place out before committing to move there but some more info might help stoke the fire a little.  Here are some of the things I am trying to sort out....

Skateshops:  This is usually where I start my search.  Finding a local skateshop and then checking out their news feeds and Facebook page usually paints a pretty good picture but I can't find anything.  Is there not a shop in Odense?

Skateparks:  I can only track down one concrete park which is "Sankt Jorgens Parken".  This place looks like a blast and I would be pretty happy if I was just going to visit but it isn't quite going to cut it as the only option.  I am a little spoiled where I am now as I have 6 or so big concrete parks within about 10 miles of my house and twice that if you bump the radius to 20 miles.  I usually skate a good mix of street and bowls so I have got to have a little transition in there.  I am assuming that back yard pools aren't really a thing in there.  I can build my own shit but I would prefer parks if I can find them.

Street Spots  I believe that the city is over 1000 years old so I am expecting it to be pretty rough.  I love riding bricks but a lot of the pictures I have seen look like some pretty haggard cobblestone so hopefully it's not too bad.  Unfortunately, a lot of the pictures of skate spots that have seen are knobbed which was a bit disconcerting. 

Magazine/Video Coverage
Any recommendations on mags/DVDs/websites to check out that have Odense coverage? I am assuming a subscription to Kingpin  is in order for more EU coverage but are there any other Denmark or Odense specific things to check out?

I don't really give a shit about the weather or bars, I can work with whatever I get on that one.

TL;DR I like to skateboard dance a lot, am I fucked if I move to Odense?

RoedGroed

• Rep: 60
Re: Odense, Denmark
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 10:41:53 AM »
Hey!

Odense is, imo, a pretty bad place to go for skateboarding.

There is a skateshop, its called Skatehouse. Its owned by a dude who doesnt skate or anything, but skaters work there and i guess its allright. Would never buy anything there though.

There is an outdoor park that just got remodeled. Its called Skt J?rgens Parken. Its pretty good!

There is an indoor park too, I think it changed its name, but it used to just be called Odense Skatehal.
http://www.odenseskatehal.dk/

Streetspots is alright, nothing too crazy, but the entire island of Fyn is alright spot wise. You will need to drive a bit to get around though.

The main magazine in DK is called www.wdbm.dk which works as a news website and an annual magazine. You can check out some of our magazines online on the website under "bladene".

If you want to ask some questions or whatever about the danish scene, feel free to pm me or add me on facebook or whatever! (https://www.facebook.com/thomas.damgaardjensen)

Denmark is sick though!

Seamus_McShamebag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 02:06:19 PM »
Thanks for all the info RoedGroed.  Especially the link to www.wdbm.dk, they have the last three issues posted online and I'll  check those out.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you are pretty confirming what I was worried about in that there aren't really any parks other than Sankt Jorgens Parken and the rest of the area is somewhat hurting for spots.  I am really spoiled where I am at and it's going to be tough to make the jump. 

Copenhagen seems to be the place to go and I would jump right on moving there but I really don't want to fuck with commuting all the way to Odense so I suppose I'll just need to see what I can figure out.

RoedGroed

• Rep: 60
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 02:23:46 PM »
I live in Aarhus (which has an amazing amount of spots and a tight scene) - some of the skaters from here travel from Aarhus to Odense to study, since its only like 3 days a week and 1,5 hour trainride, on which you can still study or whatever. It depends what you are going to do in odense though?

But yeah, glad you like WDBM, we are doing another one right now that should be out before christmas, it should be one of the best issues yet!

As i said, any questions about the danish scene or whatever, just ask. Its kinda hard to just ramble on you know haha!