Author Topic: zelda appreciation thread  (Read 19271 times)

frontsideNECKTIE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 191
  • Precision Posture
Re: zelda appreciation thread
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2023, 09:03:30 AM »
Took 5/12 off to buy this game at launch. Luckily its payday and a Friday for a 3 day Zelda weekend

Been juggling baby duties with the s/o between work, skating, and relaxing/gaming but this release has us both hyped, so the I imagine one of these is gonna take a back seat.

I'm just fiending for some legit dungeons/temples

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2023, 12:12:53 PM »
Pre-ordered mine for Friday delivery. I work from home, so hopefully it comes early and I fuck off all day to play Zelda. Thinking of moving the extra TV into my office.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

caked

• Rep: 16
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2023, 06:09:09 PM »
just submitted my preorder too! paid extra $10 for release day delivery from Target.

I played BOTW last night for the first time in over two years and knocked out a few side quests. Truly one of the best games I've ever played. It's so fun trying to discover new recipes I haven't made yet! And find more Korok seeds of course

McDuff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2023, 01:04:39 PM »
my friend pre ordered it for my birthday a long time ago, obv it got pushed, and today is the day. i keep texting him if its at his house so I can swing by and grab it. he invited me to a stupid fucking bonfire at his house today. like, fuck off.

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2023, 01:58:16 PM »
The first time you down down into the depths is legit terrifying.

Also, I got distracted heading to the temple of time at the very beginning and traversed all of the great sky islands before figuring it out. Wasted four hours and died like 30 times. Finished every fight without fused weapons. Lol.

So far I’m in love with this game and cannot wait to really dig into exploring and progressing the story.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2023, 09:03:41 PM »
Need to give Breath of the Wild another shot.  Got hung up on navigating the environment as the story branches off and usually not big on crafting/cooking in games outside of like Bethesda games.  But I know the quality’s there so it’s clearly just me.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2023, 05:27:46 AM »
Tears Of The Kingdom is incredible.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2023, 08:08:06 AM »
Need to give Breath of the Wild another shot.  Got hung up on navigating the environment as the story branches off and usually not big on crafting/cooking in games outside of like Bethesda games.  But I know the quality’s there so it’s clearly just me.

I am getting to the point it feels like a chore to play this game to be honest... I dont like having to constantly look stuff up and its too easy to miss where you are supposed to go. Like I am on the flying boss now... so you are supposed to go to this village, talk to the elder, then find this guy Teba. so I went looking for him and the guard outside the village says "go to the flight range he is there" and tells you how to get there. so i went there and he wasnt there... OK now im super confused. So I found out you acutally need to go talk to the guy's wife first and reveal a memory... terrible game design.

Also now this dungeon I am in, I borught like 30 min worth of frost repellant, but the puzzles take a bit to figure out. so i play through like 3/4 of the dungeon, then i have to load all the way back to the beginning and re-do everything quickly. thats not super fun to me tbh to replay something just for the sake of making it harder, especailly in the context of a puzzle that you have already solved.

I also can't play this game with my Hori Split pads sometimes because certain parts you need to tilt the joy cons for different puzzles etc. and these dont have the gyro functionality. My joycons drift like crazy and makes the game even more frustrating to play cause your guy is constatly running off tight ledges or drifting while aiming
ONTARIO CANADA

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2023, 08:25:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I am getting to the point it feels like a chore to play this game to be honest... I dont like having to constantly look stuff up and its too easy to miss where you are supposed to go. Like I am on the flying boss now... so you are supposed to go to this village, talk to the elder, then find this guy Teba. so I went looking for him and the guard outside the village says "go to the flight range he is there" and tells you how to get there. so i went there and he wasnt there... OK now im super confused. So I found out you acutally need to go talk to the guy's wife first and reveal a memory... terrible game design.

Also now this dungeon I am in, I borught like 30 min worth of frost repellant, but the puzzles take a bit to figure out. so i play through like 3/4 of the dungeon, then i have to load all the way back to the beginning and re-do everything quickly. thats not super fun to me tbh to replay something just for the sake of making it harder, especailly in the context of a puzzle that you have already solved.

I also can't play this game with my Hori Split pads sometimes because certain parts you need to tilt the joy cons for different puzzles etc. and these dont have the gyro functionality. My joycons drift like crazy and makes the game even more frustrating to play cause your guy is constatly running off tight ledges or drifting while aiming

If you're talking about the temple that's unbearably cold there are a lot more efficient ways to deal with that.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 08:34:08 AM by pizzafliptofakie »

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2023, 08:58:38 AM »

How laggy is it?

I love BOTW but I can't comprehend how Nintendo makes a game for a specific system that doesn't have the "right" requirements. When I entered the Korok forest for the first time it felt like those times where I installed a game that my pc couldn't handle

Edit: don't get me wrong the game looks amazing and I can't wait to catch a good deal

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2023, 09:15:56 AM »
Running just fine for me. Remarkably better than the newer Pokemon games.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2023, 09:34:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07GRWPJ9W?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I’ve been playing for botw for weeks with this cheap pad and it’s been a blast. I’ve just been doing side quests and killing guardians with perfect parry and lynels for fun. Almost all my armor is fully powered up. Only did the elephant as far as main quest is concerned and am more than happy with this.

Edit: the other day I was switching arrows because I ran out of regular arrows and finally noticed that I had accumulated almost 500 shock arrows from killing the lion centaurs. Had to laugh at myself.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 09:53:14 AM by layzieyez »

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2023, 01:04:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How laggy is it?

I love BOTW but I can't comprehend how Nintendo makes a game for a specific system that doesn't have the "right" requirements. When I entered the Korok forest for the first time it felt like those times where I installed a game that my pc couldn't handle

Edit: don't get me wrong the game looks amazing and I can't wait to catch a good deal

It's a technical marvel they can even get games like these to work on the Switch as well as they do

But yeah, it's similar to BOTW and has some lag

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2023, 07:35:04 PM »
Yuzu and Ryujinx emulation is coming along nicely, even with mid tier CPUs (i5) and GPU (2060), considering getting a Steam Deck or gaming laptop to play TotK while traveling for work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkHfI1gJ0_M&ab_channel=NANOSOFT
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2023, 04:12:47 AM »
anyway i am done complaining about it !
hope you guys are enjoying the new game!
ONTARIO CANADA

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2023, 07:29:56 AM »
Yuzu and Ryujinx emulation is coming along nicely, even with mid tier CPUs (i5) and GPU (2060), considering getting a Steam Deck or gaming laptop to play TotK while traveling for work.

If money isn't a concern that new Asus Ally looks pretty great, runs on Windows instead of Linux

I'm about to go to Vegas tomorrow but when I come back I'm going to try to get this setup on my PC, hopefully I can transfer saves somehow. My Switch isn't hacked though so I don't know if I can.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 08:07:37 AM by Theme For A Jackal »

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2023, 02:03:31 PM »
Lots of fun moments so far.

Combat has its challenges. Definitely died a bit on the same battle.
Ascending through a boulder battle to attack the core.
Trying to glide over an island pre hang glider and missing it.
Unsticking the balloon you ride up with Impa in
Discovering wells
Figuring out the chasm pits
Putting together botched vehicles that can’t be steered
Finding previously saved BOTW horses at the stable
Blowing up rock installations with a fused bomb flower and arrows.

Somebody over the weekend mentioned fusing a cart to their shield and it became a skateboard

switchfakie

« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2023, 04:36:39 PM »
NO SPOILERS TOTK

its really fun & the shrines are decently challenging + have multiple creative solutions you can use to solve them
im only 10 hours in, but the only outfits i have are recycled from BOTW, so im very bummed about that

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2023, 11:13:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If money isn't a concern that new Asus Ally looks pretty great, runs on Windows instead of Linux

I'm about to go to Vegas tomorrow but when I come back I'm going to try to get this setup on my PC, hopefully I can transfer saves somehow. My Switch isn't hacked though so I don't know if I can.

I was eyeing the Asus Ally too, but local pricing at $1k USD for the base model is off putting. The ease of Windows OS would be helpful to get Yuzu / Ryujinx / Cemu going, and I can envision myself running it docked as my home console with Steam games.

But with the Steam Deck and Asus Ally my biggest concern will be limited CPU and GPU capacity, especially with Switch emulators which demand more CPU / GPU. And playing AAA PC games will be limited by the hardware.

I'm considering the Asus Flow Z13, which is a gaming tablet with an i7 and 3050, entry level gaming PC stuff but should handle TooK with ongoing patches / optimization. The tablet form factor appeals to me too, I've been traveling more for work recently and portability is key. My work laptop is a 15.6" workstation, even a slim gaming laptop (Asus X13, Asus G14) would add a lot of weight to the equation. Hence the consideration of a Steam Deck / Asus Ally / Asus Gaming Tablet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikEsU1PBRPo&ab_channel=Engadget
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2023, 08:11:24 AM »
Running just fine for me. Remarkably better than the newer Pokemon games.

LOL literally was just going to say this. I haven't had any lag at all but meanwhile I can't play Scarlet/Violet without glitching through the fucking floor into the unknown.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2023, 09:19:58 AM »
Lots of fun moments so far.

Combat has its challenges. Definitely died a bit on the same battle.
Ascending through a boulder battle to attack the core.
Trying to glide over an island pre hang glider and missing it.
Unsticking the balloon you ride up with Impa in
Discovering wells
Figuring out the chasm pits
Putting together botched vehicles that can’t be steered
Finding previously saved BOTW horses at the stable
Blowing up rock installations with a fused bomb flower and arrows.

Somebody over the weekend mentioned fusing a cart to their shield and it became a skateboard

You can caveman to 5050 the cart tracks too

I dig how the different and stonger monster parts can be fused for some sweet looking weapons.
Keese eyeballs with the homing effect are awesome
Love fucking around with the rockets

switchfakie

« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2023, 04:05:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The jailbreak process is really easy if you have a gen1 switch. I highly recommend doing it bc I’ve already been using save file editors from GitHub to get items/extra hearts/full stamina

It definitely improves gameplay for me

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2023, 12:48:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How laggy is it?

It's the BOTW map in large part, and it lags in the same places BOTW lagged, along with some new places which tax its 9(?) year old processor. But overall, Nintendo did a great job optimizing everything and it runs very well.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2023, 12:52:23 PM »
NO SPOILERS TOTK

its really fun & the shrines are decently challenging + have multiple creative solutions you can use to solve them
im only 10 hours in, but the only outfits i have are recycled from BOTW, so im very bummed about that

The shrines are one of the biggest improvements. Shrines in BOTW often felt like this arduous chore you had to painstakingly complete. I ended up looking at a guide to do a lot of them. With TOTK, I've done probably 30-40 shrines (I've played an embarrassing amount, as I promised I would) and they've most all been fun to solve.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2023, 01:44:54 PM »
Expand Quote
NO SPOILERS TOTK

[close]

The shrines are one of the biggest improvements. Shrines in BOTW often felt like this arduous chore you had to painstakingly complete. I ended up looking at a guide to do a lot of them. With TOTK, I've done probably 30-40 shrines (I've played an embarrassing amount, as I promised I would) and they've most all been fun to solve.

The shrines seem to be more open-ended on the solution, which i think is helpful and keeps the pace of the gameplay loop consistent. I only came across one I couldn't figure out first try, but I was also pretty buzzed and tired. Realized the trick as soon as I booted it up the next day.

I think its pretty awesome how the new abilities are so robust and versatile, and the devs put minimal restraints on how to implement them. Ex, ascending through the Constructs and Talus', fusing springs to shields and rockets for super jumps, build a huge bridge and get tf over it, plus the actual exploits that the real nerds have been figuring out.

I already love this game. They took everything I loved about BOTW and made it better. I can't really think of anything they've done worse.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2023, 07:11:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The jailbreak process is really easy if you have a gen1 switch. I highly recommend doing it bc I’ve already been using save file editors from GitHub to get items/extra hearts/full stamina

Got the game running on my PC last night but it's a bit stuttery, I went with Ryujinx but might try Yuzu to see if it's better. Messed with every setting I could but still had at least a bit of stutter, enough that I would rather play on Switch.

If I can get it stable I'll probably try the jailbreak. Do you have to back up all your data first?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2023, 07:39:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If you're talking about the temple that's unbearably cold there are a lot more efficient ways to deal with that.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I just went back to the village and bought a coat... i am an idiot
i just beat that boss ez using the bomb arrows
starting to actually like this game a bit more now i am a bit more powered up and not dying to everything so quickly
ONTARIO CANADA

switchfakie

« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2023, 06:49:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Got the game running on my PC last night but it's a bit stuttery, I went with Ryujinx but might try Yuzu to see if it's better. Messed with every setting I could but still had at least a bit of stutter, enough that I would rather play on Switch.

If I can get it stable I'll probably try the jailbreak. Do you have to back up all your data first?

You make the data backup during the jailbreak process, you can watch YouTube tutorials on how to do that. Hit me in the dms if you need help explain how it all works

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2023, 09:12:08 AM »
Been playing since launch, way better than BoW, glad to be wrong.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2023, 12:44:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
NO SPOILERS TOTK

[close]

[close]

The shrines seem to be more open-ended on the solution, which i think is helpful and keeps the pace of the gameplay loop consistent. I only came across one I couldn't figure out first try, but I was also pretty buzzed and tired. Realized the trick as soon as I booted it up the next day.

I think its pretty awesome how the new abilities are so robust and versatile, and the devs put minimal restraints on how to implement them. Ex, ascending through the Constructs and Talus', fusing springs to shields and rockets for super jumps, build a huge bridge and get tf over it, plus the actual exploits that the real nerds have been figuring out.

I already love this game. They took everything I loved about BOTW and made it better. I can't really think of anything they've done worse.

Do any of the shrines need motion controls? That was the biggest bummer about BOTW's shrines.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m