Author Topic: zelda appreciation thread  (Read 19528 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: zelda appreciation thread
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2023, 01:07:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yuzu and Ryujinx emulation is coming along nicely, even with mid tier CPUs (i5) and GPU (2060), considering getting a Steam Deck or gaming laptop to play TotK while traveling for work.

[close]

If money isn't a concern that new Asus Ally looks pretty great, runs on Windows instead of Linux

I'm about to go to Vegas tomorrow but when I come back I'm going to try to get this setup on my PC, hopefully I can transfer saves somehow. My Switch isn't hacked though so I don't know if I can.
[close]

The jailbreak process is really easy if you have a gen1 switch. I highly recommend doing it bc I’ve already been using save file editors from GitHub to get items/extra hearts/full stamina

It definitely improves gameplay for me
[close]

Got the game running on my PC last night but it's a bit stuttery, I went with Ryujinx but might try Yuzu to see if it's better. Messed with every setting I could but still had at least a bit of stutter, enough that I would rather play on Switch.

If I can get it stable I'll probably try the jailbreak. Do you have to back up all your data first?
[close]

You make the data backup during the jailbreak process, you can watch YouTube tutorials on how to do that. Hit me in the dms if you need help explain how it all works

Running on a GTX1050? Damn!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2023, 03:33:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
NO SPOILERS TOTK

its really fun & the shrines are decently challenging + have multiple creative solutions you can use to solve them
im only 10 hours in, but the only outfits i have are recycled from BOTW, so im very bummed about that
[close]

The shrines are one of the biggest improvements. Shrines in BOTW often felt like this arduous chore you had to painstakingly complete. I ended up looking at a guide to do a lot of them. With TOTK, I've done probably 30-40 shrines (I've played an embarrassing amount, as I promised I would) and they've most all been fun to solve.
[close]

The shrines seem to be more open-ended on the solution, which i think is helpful and keeps the pace of the gameplay loop consistent. I only came across one I couldn't figure out first try, but I was also pretty buzzed and tired. Realized the trick as soon as I booted it up the next day.

I think its pretty awesome how the new abilities are so robust and versatile, and the devs put minimal restraints on how to implement them. Ex, ascending through the Constructs and Talus', fusing springs to shields and rockets for super jumps, build a huge bridge and get tf over it, plus the actual exploits that the real nerds have been figuring out.

I already love this game. They took everything I loved about BOTW and made it better. I can't really think of anything they've done worse.
[close]

Do any of the shrines need motion controls? That was the biggest bummer about BOTW's shrines.

Agreed, that was awful. So far, no motion controls. The shrines do integrate a lot of Link's "special" features, but in TOTK this feels to me more natural and organic than it did in BOTW.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2023, 07:31:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
NO SPOILERS TOTK

its really fun & the shrines are decently challenging + have multiple creative solutions you can use to solve them
im only 10 hours in, but the only outfits i have are recycled from BOTW, so im very bummed about that
[close]

The shrines are one of the biggest improvements. Shrines in BOTW often felt like this arduous chore you had to painstakingly complete. I ended up looking at a guide to do a lot of them. With TOTK, I've done probably 30-40 shrines (I've played an embarrassing amount, as I promised I would) and they've most all been fun to solve.
[close]

The shrines seem to be more open-ended on the solution, which i think is helpful and keeps the pace of the gameplay loop consistent. I only came across one I couldn't figure out first try, but I was also pretty buzzed and tired. Realized the trick as soon as I booted it up the next day.

I think its pretty awesome how the new abilities are so robust and versatile, and the devs put minimal restraints on how to implement them. Ex, ascending through the Constructs and Talus', fusing springs to shields and rockets for super jumps, build a huge bridge and get tf over it, plus the actual exploits that the real nerds have been figuring out.

I already love this game. They took everything I loved about BOTW and made it better. I can't really think of anything they've done worse.
[close]

Do any of the shrines need motion controls? That was the biggest bummer about BOTW's shrines.
[close]

Agreed, that was awful. So far, no motion controls. The shrines do integrate a lot of Link's "special" features, but in TOTK this feels to me more natural and organic than it did in BOTW.

Using the mouse to control the damn balls was the worst.

Seeing everyone get creative with their inventions is both exhilarating and stressful for me, I'm not very creative so I'll probably stick to a car or a rocket 90% of the time.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

frontsideNECKTIE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2023, 10:09:00 AM »
I'm mostly the same way, but I've been dipping my toe into the building the past handful of hours.

I keep it simple most of the time, but using little tricks like putting a cart under a wing for easier take offs, always having a stack of steering sticks, and keeping rigs/inventions mellow enough to be disposable are really nice for getting around.

Its kind of a random find so minor SPOILER ALERT
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 115
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2023, 05:30:50 AM »
I just started playing yesterday morning but am still on sky island. Building stuff is gonna get pretty wild I think. BOTW was my first Zelda so I was pretty pumped when I saw that this was out.

switchfakie

« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2023, 05:02:33 PM »
I just started playing yesterday morning but am still on sky island. Building stuff is gonna get pretty wild I think. BOTW was my first Zelda so I was pretty pumped when I saw that this was out.

hope you enjoy it g, its really fun

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2023, 10:02:07 AM »
I was skeptical at first, but now I am a full-on convert to TOTK. BOTW was already basically the best game ever and they somehow managed to dramatically improve upon it. I have played an embarrassing amount.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2023, 11:11:50 AM »
I'm clocking in my hours on TotK, not a fan of the building mechanics yet since it can be a pain to line up the parts properly before attaching. Just got my paraglider and it's so fun to have that thing back in my toolkit.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2023, 11:15:11 AM »
I really can't see myself going back to play BOTW now.
Still impressed with this game.
Here are some updates

• Enjoyed figuring out the Korok Forest
  • Having autobuild became a super clutch/convenient tool to use
  • Still finding shrines with ease
  • Choosing to not consult a guide until I have korok seeds left.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

caked

• Rep: -9
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2023, 11:26:55 AM »
like others have said, BOTW was an amazing game, and yet this is even better!

I'm at 60 hours so far and loving it. the zonai devices are fun to mess around with, the shrines are better, being able to explore the sky islands + depths adds so much more playtime and adventure.
fusing weapons with materials to make them more powerful is a huge gamechanger.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2023, 07:59:54 PM »
like others have said, BOTW was an amazing game, and yet this is even better!

I'm at 60 hours so far and loving it. the zonai devices are fun to mess around with, the shrines are better, being able to explore the sky islands + depths adds so much more playtime and adventure.
fusing weapons with materials to make them more powerful is a huge gamechanger.

"You know what would make this halberd ever better? Another halberd!"

I still prefer having dedicated bomb / ice / electric arrows but attaching different materials to arrows on the fly has made for some clutch moments.

Favorite moment so far was approaching a group of bokoblins at an outpost, only for the outpost to become a stone talus with the music kicking in.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 08:22:52 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2023, 05:57:38 AM »
real ones have HUD set to Pro

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2023, 11:19:49 AM »

That's my favorite thing to do on my 2nd playthrough. Makes you more tuned to the visuals and environment.

What is everyone's favorite enemy? I enjoy fighting the Like Likes, the combat loop on them is pretty fun, plus decent drops for a fairly easy mob. Lynels are still a nice challenge, seems like they didn't spawn as many in grass so you can't get the updraft-to-arrow-to-the-face critical combo as easily.

Defeated my first Electric Gleeok last night, they aren't so tough when you spam Ice Keese eyeballs and have the Master Sword.

Side bar confession...I have more hours put into my first run of TOTK than total of BOTW...

Natas_Fauxas

• Rep: 95
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2023, 12:01:55 PM »
Had this a couple weeks before it came out just started playing it today. It seems good so far. Very easy to emulate and runs well on my PC. I got my daughter some anime game she wanted and it also runs great. How long did it take you guys to beat?
🚨🚨ILLEGAL!!!! 👇👇👇🚨🚨

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2023, 03:11:14 PM »
Had this a couple weeks before it came out just started playing it today. It seems good so far. Very easy to emulate and runs well on my PC. I got my daughter some anime game she wanted and it also runs great. How long did it take you guys to beat?

I bought it on release date and have 150+ hours still haven't made it to the credits. I'm basically at the 3rd act of the story, but stopped pushing ahead once I got the first temples done.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2023, 08:57:50 AM »

What specs are you emulating TotK on? I'm on a 5800x with a 30fps mod with Dynamic FPS
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2023, 01:27:23 PM »

I’ve played it a ton and am nowhere near to finishing it. Haven’t really even tried - I have mostly been exploring and unlocking shrines, equipment, etc. Beating the game at this stage seems entirely uninteresting to me.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2023, 01:30:22 PM »
 :-\
Expand Quote
[close]
Defeated my first Electric Gleeok last night, they aren't so tough when you spam Ice Keese eyeballs and have the Master Sword.

I still don’t have the Master Sword, but I’ve got a few 5x Lynel bows and I’ve been able to make quick work of them by using a rocket shield to raise up and then blasting the three heads in bullet time. Stick an eyeball into the arrow if they’re some distance away, and I can bring them down in a minute or two.

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2023, 04:56:34 AM »
Just beat the wind temple yesterday. Getting there was one of the most “exhilarating” experiences I’ve had in a video game. The fear of falling was too real, and I’m sitting on my couch

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #139 on: June 27, 2023, 05:27:47 AM »
Not gonna spoil it, but I did the Master Sword quest this weekend and it was such a moment.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #140 on: July 02, 2023, 01:31:49 PM »
Bought TOTK to motivate me to finish BOTW. I guess I’m done wandering around.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2023, 03:35:23 PM »
Bought TOTK to motivate me to finish BOTW. I guess I’m done wandering around.

BOTW is pretty easy to "beat", but finishing the game is another question all together. I'd say I stopped playing at like 80-90% complete, a few years ago, right after I got the motorcycle. A lot of people have already beat TOTK, but it definitely takes longer to play through the story.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #142 on: July 11, 2023, 11:30:35 AM »
Not gonna spoil it, but I did the Master Sword quest this weekend and it was such a moment.

I never really gave a shit about the story in Zelda games (yeah, go defeat Ganon, got it) but the Master Sword storyline in this game kinda made me care a little bit.

The overall plot is a lot darker and more fleshed out than most prior entries though.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2023, 01:13:23 PM »
I just beat my third temple but have not been in a rush at all. I, same as everyone else, just spend hours and hours doing side quests and exploring and gathering shit. Master sword might be my next thing to do if the story is as good as everyone is saying. I loved the Dragon's Tears quest so fingers crossed it's as good if not better than that one was.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: July 12, 2023, 06:11:36 PM »
alright so what's the DLC gonna look like?
I feel as if there is SOOO much that needs to be added to the sky.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2023, 03:31:56 PM »
alright so what's the DLC gonna look like?
I feel as if there is SOOO much that needs to be added to the sky.

More sky islands, more Zonai parts, another temple/dungeon or two, a couple new questlines, new gear, new mobs and monster parts are on my wishlist

Edit: while i was playing last night, I could see a homestead update happening. All of the houses available to Link (in this version of Hyrule) are all in Neculda/Akkala.

I want a house in the electric forest of Farosh or in Central Hyrule!

« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 01:05:31 PM by Necktie.w.t.d. »

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2023, 08:02:57 AM »
The ability to create your own rail systems would be dope.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2023, 03:49:07 PM »
Just rolled credits at 115 hours of playtime, such a solid game - haven’t sunk this amount of time into a single game in years.

Will probably give it a break for a few weeks and then pick it up to find the remaining 10 or so shrines and explore the last of the depths.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2023, 04:11:35 PM »
Just rolled credits at 115 hours of playtime, such a solid game - haven’t sunk this amount of time into a single game in years.

Will probably give it a break for a few weeks and then pick it up to find the remaining 10 or so shrines and explore the last of the depths.

Is there a post-game? Or do you just load your save before the ending?

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #149 on: July 19, 2023, 08:16:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is there a post-game? Or do you just load your save before the ending?

No, same deal as BOTW - kicks you back to your last save before the final boss battle. No spoilers but it makes sense to do it, plot lines get wrapped up pretty nicely during the final cutscenes.