Author Topic: Girl Skateboard's Next Generation: Flow dudes  (Read 6894 times)

able

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Girl Skateboard's Next Generation: Flow dudes
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 01:20:40 PM »
Sml wheels needs to change the settings on their YouTube so I can watch their videos on my phone.
I strongly agree with this opinion^

Also, I've learned from having a YouTube channel of my own, that sometimes my videos won't play on Mobile platforms simply because I used a copywritten song. So SML wheels either need to change their settings, or stop using popular ass music

EDIT: grrrr!
ableSkateMag.com

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 01:29:03 PM »
u can watch any video (barring audio restrictions) by going to the menu on the left side of the youtube app, and down right by the bottom theres an option that says 'view in desktop' or something similar. it will use more data obviously, but ya
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 01:43:38 PM »
Being flow for Girl is better than being am for most teams. You get sooooo much product it's fucked up(at least for some).

Sorry, GIRL(Chocolate, Crailtap, etc) isn't the same anymore though. None of the newer riders will ever be a Koston, Carroll, Howard,or Guy.... except for Vince and Corey(those dudes rip hard and are very innovative). Maybe if they still had P-Rod and Alex Olson(you're more than welcome to disagree).

Justin Eldridge sucks and so does Chris Roberts..... oh, and Daniel Castillo(sigh).

Raven, Stevie, and Elijah should not be pro. I don't even think Raven should be on at all but that's because I'm compairing him to Greyson.

Girl used to be something but they keep adding mediocre dudes. It's tight that Jerry Hsu is on but it's a little late in the game.

P.S. Can Guy go back to "Mouse" days? I'm fuckin' sick of his curb dancing shananigans like a fag. I wanna see him rape ledges a sex offender again.

Disagree with some of your points. I think Eldridge is a hell of a skateboarder. But for whatever reason he's never really got a huge push. I don't know if that's of his own doing or Crailtap's. But his style and tricks are really good.

I also don't get the Elijah hate. Never have understood it. I don't care about him switching up his image, and the Trunk Boyz stuff is a little annoying, but I think the kid rips any terrain he wants to ride.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2013, 02:10:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Being flow for Girl is better than being am for most teams. You get sooooo much product it's fucked up(at least for some).

Sorry, GIRL(Chocolate, Crailtap, etc) isn't the same anymore though. None of the newer riders will ever be a Koston, Carroll, Howard,or Guy.... except for Vince and Corey(those dudes rip hard and are very innovative). Maybe if they still had P-Rod and Alex Olson(you're more than welcome to disagree).

Justin Eldridge sucks and so does Chris Roberts..... oh, and Daniel Castillo(sigh).

Raven, Stevie, and Elijah should not be pro. I don't even think Raven should be on at all but that's because I'm compairing him to Greyson.

Girl used to be something but they keep adding mediocre dudes. It's tight that Jerry Hsu is on but it's a little late in the game.

P.S. Can Guy go back to "Mouse" days? I'm fuckin' sick of his curb dancing shananigans like a fag. I wanna see him rape ledges a sex offender again.
[close]

Disagree with some of your points. I think Eldridge is a hell of a skateboarder. But for whatever reason he's never really got a huge push. I don't know if that's of his own doing or Crailtap's. But his style and tricks are really good.

I also don't get the Elijah hate. Never have understood it. I don't care about him switching up his image, and the Trunk Boyz stuff is a little annoying, but I think the kid rips any terrain he wants to ride.

I always though eldridge came up too quick. He had his small part in yeah right and although it was real good he became pro and got a shoe on es after that part. And since then he had just the es promo vid and  pretty sweet. and before pretty sweet came out he had a solid 10 year career off of those 2 parts. Doesnt compare to Castillo which has no coverage just a bunch of clips of him filming schmatty at stoner and doing no complys, why is he pro?.

As far as the trunk boys. I think ravens the sickest, elijah is pretty cool and stevie perez is just forgettable to be honest.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2013, 04:04:44 PM »
Stevie Perez has the best style out of all of them. He kinda reminds me of McCrank in some ways. Legend in the making.

S.E.

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2013, 04:42:05 PM »
out of the three of them i think stevie is going to be the best/already the best of the three. 

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2013, 04:56:54 PM »
The thing is, everyone fucking rips now too.

this is definitely not true. its not 2005 anymore. most people are only playing catch up. they can skate but most skaters aren't trying anything too crazy, just lots of standard stuff that isn't too interesting or whatevers hot. some of you think im crazy for suggesting 540 flip grind variations, but how far removed is that from doing darkslide combos really? thats what separates someone like vincent alvarez, mj and mike mo from the sea of middling flow dudes that will never get on. most skaters these days lack vision. too concerned with your pants and what some retards are doing on instagram instead of trying to do the impossible. in the 90s all the standard tricks of today were NBDs. that stuff was considered impossible then. they tried. legends try shit thats a little sketchy and really gnarly. imagine if koston had just gone with the flow and didnt try out crazy stuff, he wouldnt be who he is today. if flow dudes would just venture out of their comfort zone a little bit and try something crazy theyd probably have a better shot at getting on girl/chocolate. that was always my issue with yaje popson getting on chocolate, he just never made much of an effort to try new stuff. there was an over reliance on being from the east coast and being pushed by the right people and when that stuff goes out of style what are you really left with? not much. thats probably why he never got on the team. if you have a better explanation for why he didn't get on the team by all means please tell me. he wasn't injured or in brazil when they passed over him.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2013, 05:07:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

this is definitely not true. its not 2005 anymore. most people are only playing catch up. they can skate but most skaters aren't trying anything too crazy, just lots of standard stuff that isn't too interesting or whatevers hot. some of you think im crazy for suggesting 540 flip grind variations, but how far removed is that from doing darkslide combos really? thats what separates someone like vincent alvarez, mj and mike mo from the sea of middling flow dudes that will never get on. most skaters these days lack vision. too concerned with your pants and what some retards are doing on instagram instead of trying to do the impossible. in the 90s all the standard tricks of today were NBDs. that stuff was considered impossible then. they tried. legends try shit thats a little sketchy and really gnarly. imagine if koston had just gone with the flow and didnt try out crazy stuff, he wouldnt be who he is today. if flow dudes would just venture out of their comfort zone a little bit and try something crazy theyd probably have a better shot at getting on girl/chocolate. that was always my issue with yaje popson getting on chocolate, he just never made much of an effort to try new stuff. there was an over reliance on being from the east coast and being pushed by the right people and when that stuff goes out of style what are you really left with? not much. thats probably why he never got on the team. if you have a better explanation for why he didn't get on the team by all means please tell me. he wasn't injured or in brazil when they passed over him.

The east coast needs a new generation Pj Ladd coming out of there.

pantless

• Rep: 13
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't know how 2005 is significant, but we're both touching on the same thing here. There are tons of skaters now who are good enough to be flowed, but just aren't good enough to be am. It only makes sense for companies to tap into this (I guess they always have), and flow locals. Honestly, I don't care about some random dude from wherever, because he's not local to me. I don't know who Yaje Popson is.

yep yep

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2013, 09:16:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Sml wheels needs to change the settings on their YouTube so I can watch their videos on my phone.
[close]
I strongly agree with this opinion^

Also, I've learned from having a YouTube channel of my own, that sometimes my videos won't play on Mobile platforms simply because I used a copywritten song. So SML wheels either need to change their settings, or stop using popular ass music

EDIT: grrrr!
i remember them having videos on vimeo awhile ago. maybe they'll see this and start uploading video to their vimeo again?! Also I agree Aidan Campbell and Sammy Montano both rip!!!

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2013, 09:33:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I always though eldridge came up too quick. He had his small part in yeah right and although it was real good he became pro and got a shoe on es after that part. And since then he had just the es promo vid and  pretty sweet. and before pretty sweet came out he had a solid 10 year career off of those 2 parts. Doesnt compare to Castillo which has no coverage just a bunch of clips of him filming schmatty at stoner and doing no complys, why is he pro?.

As far as the trunk boys. I think ravens the sickest, elijah is pretty cool and stevie perez is just forgettable to be honest.

Eldridge just frustrates me, so good and I feel like he just never reached his peak out of choice/laziness or something, did he get hurt or did he say "Okay, I'm comfortable now, I'm just gonna chill"? I've never gotten an answer on this

And I'm not a huge fan of any of them tbh, Perez is the poster child of forgettable, idk, I just feel like none of them are like "Chocolate" good you know? Eldridge flipped the switch game on it's head when he dropped and Vincent was rippingggggg but these dudes just don't make the cut to me, and Raven is dope but he doesn't fit on the squad with the flavor I get from his skating, it might be cliche/predictable but I get creature/anti hero vibes

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2013, 10:28:27 PM »
If were talking about all the Trunk Boyz, Cory Kennedy is the best in my opinion. The guys tricks are insane, still can't get over that backside Tailslide-kickflip-tailslide, was prolly my favorite trick in pretty sweet. But out of the Chocolate ones they all rip in their own way, Alvarez at breakneck out of control speed, Elijah is an ATV, Raven kills bowls and Stevie is by-far the most classically chocolate style out of all of them.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2013, 11:41:09 PM »
Kennedy is definitely the best, really the only one that makes the cut of being girl/chocolate material of all of them

mfkream

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2013, 12:00:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Smyth is once again playing person roulette with the recent flow kids. Aiden, Ribiero, and Sammy should be hooked up fully. Also I need to see more from that one kid from Bakersfield who enters those damn ams contests and kills them. I forgot his name and I thought he was sick in contest clips but never seen a video part though. Im mentioning this kid cause I thought he was on flow with Girl, Royal, and Lakai
[close]

Dylan Williams

This kid seems like the perfect kind of skater to be on a flow program. He just needs a little time to develop and get more comfortable w/ how good he is and he'll be amazing.

ben shraider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -264
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2013, 12:36:35 AM »
Raven, Elijah and Stevie are all rad and really good ripping skaters, but they're just not really bringing anything new to the table, where as Cory, Mike Mo, Alex Olson, Vincent and Malto were all something exceptional from the beginning.

6 pac

• Rep: -5
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2013, 12:40:05 AM »
stevie, elijah and raven turned pro too early thats the only mistake chocolate has done.
girl should put aidan on hes a killer and he stands out for me.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2013, 09:18:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Eldridge just frustrates me, so good and I feel like he just never reached his peak out of choice/laziness or something, did he get hurt or did he say "Okay, I'm comfortable now, I'm just gonna chill"? I've never gotten an answer on this

And I'm not a huge fan of any of them tbh, Perez is the poster child of forgettable, idk, I just feel like none of them are like "Chocolate" good you know? Eldridge flipped the switch game on it's head when he dropped and Vincent was rippingggggg but these dudes just don't make the cut to me, and Raven is dope but he doesn't fit on the squad with the flavor I get from his skating, it might be cliche/predictable but I get creature/anti hero vibes

Raven was i believe on creature for a while. Def the best transition bowl ripper of the whole chocolate/girl group which is something they've never had and mostly were a tech street skating kind of team. I think they over hyped the trunk boys a bit and although they rip they don't give that feel of a new generation koston, carrol, howard, marc feel to the team but its too soon to say they wont evolve into something great. Just hope they don't turn into the modern day castillo, roberts or eldridge.

Oprah Winfrey

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2013, 09:55:22 AM »
No other flow locals??

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »
From Chicagoland area, Nick Matthews has been on Chocolate and Lakai flow for a bit now. He got seriously good in the last few years, this isnt his most recent though.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2013, 06:14:52 AM »
From Chicagoland area, Nick Matthews has been on Chocolate and Lakai flow for a bit now. He got seriously good in the last few years, this isnt his most recent though.

dude's personality is enough to keep him from ever being anything but flow. not denying that he rips though

Ian Dziallo

• Rep: -2
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2013, 12:47:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

dude's personality is enough to keep him from ever being anything but flow. not denying that he rips though
I agree I've seen that guy around for years and he rips, but I can't stand him personally.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2013, 01:03:36 PM »
u can watch any video (barring audio restrictions) by going to the menu on the left side of the youtube app, and down right by the bottom theres an option that says 'view in desktop' or something similar. it will use more data obviously, but ya
You sir, are a wizard

Thanks
ableSkateMag.com

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2013, 03:13:14 PM »
What. The. Fuck. Happened. To. Carl. Ribena!?!?!?!?!?

Someone is blowing it if he doesn't get on.  Switch flip back nose blunt?!?  Well proper.
Twin Perks

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2013, 04:21:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don't know how 2005 is significant, but we're both touching on the same thing here. There are tons of skaters now who are good enough to be flowed, but just aren't good enough to be am. It only makes sense for companies to tap into this (I guess they always have), and flow locals. Honestly, I don't care about some random dude from wherever, because he's not local to me. I don't know who Yaje Popson is.

what i mean is that you guys use the term ripping way too liberally. if it was still 2005 a lot of these guys would probably get sponsored easy. i just feel like all the dudes people are posting in this thread are decent/average at skateboarding now. they're ok, not great. i feel like a lot of you guys haven't reframed what you think is good for what people do on a daily basis in 2013. if you have you wouldn't think a lot of these guys would be worth posting.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

what i mean is that you guys use the term ripping way too liberally. if it was still 2005 a lot of these guys would probably get sponsored easy. i just feel like all the dudes people are posting in this thread are decent/average at skateboarding now. they're ok, not great. i feel like a lot of you guys haven't reframed what you think is good for what people do on a daily basis in 2013. if you have you wouldn't think a lot of these guys would be worth posting.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2013, 07:25:45 PM »
my friend martin bernal, from what I remember, has been getting flowed decks from chocolate/girl for a while thanks to ty (not sure if ty leaving effected this in any way) but he's been on a spree lately, I think he'll be in ty's new brainfarm project. A few transworld issues back they ran a sequence of him fullcab flipping this same gap he switch 360'd. footage online doesn't do him justice. i'm definitely hyped on him coming up, vincent and him have been buddies since before vincent came up, I remember him telling me about how he had a homie named vincent who's been killing it but has to work shitty 9-5 jobs at some meat plant. glad that changed!

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2013, 07:43:40 PM »
kinda  surprised at the slow rate of girl/chocolate introducing am's.. before chocolate introduced stevie/elijah/raven i think it was robert's who turned pro. and i also can't remember the last new person on girl besides kennedy/malto/mike mo. seems like they've passed up a lot of good skaters.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2013, 08:26:12 PM »
Not really into Raven,  Elijah or Perez.  May be they will develop but...  They should've put Lem on when he was being flowed.  His Adidas part was way better than anything I've seen from there new guys. He actually has enough style to be on Chocolate too.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2013, 09:03:39 PM »
kinda  surprised at the slow rate of girl/chocolate introducing am's.. before chocolate introduced stevie/elijah/raven i think it was robert's who turned pro. and i also can't remember the last new person on girl besides kennedy/malto/mike mo. seems like they've passed up a lot of good skaters.

alvarez was the last guy but he kinda went pro fast too