Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304154 times)

FrozenIndustries

Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1590 on: July 05, 2019, 08:00:09 AM »
Setup: AWS 8.25-8.5 (currently 8.5), Independent 149, 55mm F4 99 classics
Preferred terrain: banks and curbs
Favorite skaters: Dill, Freddy, Gino, John Drake, Drake Jones
Music: Classic rock, synth-pop/new wave, noise/industrial
Married: Yes
Kids: Maybe at some point
Job: Facilities/AV for a library

Started in 1996 but stopped from 2012 to 2016. I skate for an hour every weather-permitting work day on my lunch break, and I try to get at least one longer session in on the weekends. Never been good at skateboarding, but I feel like I'm better now than I was in my 20s.

I just turned 44. Am I too old to skate in board shorts? It felt so nice.

This is the first summer I've skated in shorts since high school. Once you get over the irrational fear of extra shinners, it rules.

Cool Ceith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #1591 on: July 05, 2019, 08:23:35 AM »

Started in 1996 but stopped from 2012 to 2016. I skate for an hour every weather-permitting work day on my lunch break, and I try to get at least one longer session in on the weekends. Never been good at skateboarding, but I feel like I'm better now than I was in my 20s.

Expand Quote
[close]

This is the first summer I've skated in shorts since high school. Once you get over the irrational fear of extra shinners, it rules.
Out of curiosity: Why did you start skating again after the 5-year break?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1592 on: July 05, 2019, 09:05:09 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Out of curiosity: Why did you start skating again after the 5-year break?

I had been talking about wanting to skate again and my then-girlfriend (now wife) got me a board for Christmas 2015. I skated it once and then fractured my tibia climbing over a wall later that week. For whatever reason that made me want to skate again even more, and I've been skating regularly since my recovery.

I should mention that when I stopped, it wasn't a hard stop or anything...I was just super focused on some other things and it just got to the point where I just didn't own a board. During those years I would still lurk on here and watch videos and stuff.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #1593 on: July 05, 2019, 09:19:22 AM »
Damn, I’m sorry, but this thread is the saddest shit I’ve ever seen. I was already depressed before looking at this and now I’m even more depressed because this thread made me realize I’m also gonna become old and shitty.

Sounds like you already are.

McBrandt

• Rep: -13
« Reply #1594 on: July 05, 2019, 10:09:06 AM »

Set Up: 8.0 Scumco
             Destructo Trucks
             Yellow Jackets ABEC 5
              Spitfire F4 Conicals
              Mob M-80
Preferred Terrain: street and parks
Favorite skaters: Mullen, Hensley, Kevin Taylor, Carlos Lastra,
Music:  Classic Rock, 90’s Grunge and Alt, Anything slightly depressing but interesting
Married: Divorcing but with a girlfriend
Kids: Three - 20, 15 and due in October
Job: Senior Purchasing and Inventory Manager

Ohh, we're gonna old Dad it together. I'll be 42 in September with my second kid due in December. First one is 4 years old. Fairly anxiety-ridden about dealing with a baby again, especially with a toddler thrown into the mix.

I skate very infrequently, but I actually did get out and get some 4th of july slappies yesterday. I typically skate whatever '91 era-ish shape I can, currently on a Polar after the dead stock of old Frankie Hill ear decks appears to have dried up after a solid 10 year run on them.

While the soundtrack can quickly default to the Disney pandora station, I do my best to curate what my daughter hears and thus tailor it to stuff I like. She was on a Kraftwerk kick for a while. About a week or so ago while driving her to daycare I played Atlas by Battles (Arto song in Mindfield), and she tripped out on the vocals. Now we listen to that song in the car all the time. Much rather hear that than some wreck-it ralph soundtrack songs.

ChasingCars

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1595 on: July 06, 2019, 09:47:17 PM »
Expand Quote

Set Up: 8.0 Scumco
             Destructo Trucks
             Yellow Jackets ABEC 5
              Spitfire F4 Conicals
              Mob M-80
Favorite skaters: Mullen, Hensley, Kevin Taylor, Carlos Lastra,
Music:  Classic Rock, 90’s Grunge and Alt, Anything slightly depressing but interesting
Married: Divorcing but with a girlfriend
Kids: Three - 20, 15 and due in October
Job: Senior Purchasing and Inventory Manager
[close]

Ohh, we're gonna old Dad it together. I'll be 42 in September with my second kid due in December. First one is 4 years old. Fairly anxiety-ridden about dealing with a baby again, especially with a toddler thrown into the mix.

I skate very infrequently, but I actually did get out and get some 4th of july slappies yesterday. I typically skate whatever '91 era-ish shape I can, currently on a Polar after the dead stock of old Frankie Hill ear decks appears to have dried up after a solid 10 year run on them.

While the soundtrack can quickly default to the Disney pandora station, I do my best to curate what my daughter hears and thus tailor it to stuff I like. She was on a Kraftwerk kick for a while. About a week or so ago while driving her to daycare I played Atlas by Battles (Arto song in Mindfield), and she tripped out on the vocals. Now we listen to that song in the car all the time. Much rather hear that than some wreck-it ralph soundtrack songs.

Congrats on the new one. I am getting pretty excited to start the child rearing journey again. Can’t wait till I can get her a board of her own. I feel you on the music front... if I had a dollar for every time my son plays a juicewrld song I could buy a new complete weekly. New rap is terrible.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #1596 on: July 07, 2019, 04:22:03 AM »
Damn, I’m sorry, but this thread is the saddest shit I’ve ever seen. I was already depressed before looking at this and now I’m even more depressed because this thread made me realize I’m also gonna become old and shitty.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #1597 on: July 07, 2019, 09:09:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Denial can be a beautiful thing.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #1598 on: July 07, 2019, 11:25:34 AM »
Last weekend 44 and 1 month:

MarmaladeCoyote

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1599 on: July 08, 2019, 11:33:19 AM »
Set Up: 9.25 BA 18
            Indy 169s
            Bones Swiss
            Spitfire F4 Conicals
            Grizzly
Favorite skaters: Reynolds, Cardiel, BA, Malto, GT
Music:  Classic Rock, Hip Hop, Indie Pop
Married: Yep
Kids: One on the way!
Job: Ad agency marketing manager

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1600 on: July 09, 2019, 09:28:27 PM »
Let's not pretend like I'm young or anything...

Set Up: Chico Big Boy Chocolate (8.75), Ace Trucks, Spitfire F4 Classics (54mm), Bones Swiss 6 balls
Preferred Terrain: Anything I can get my hands on these days. I live in a fairly rural area so it's usually my local DIY (that's undercover) or some marble curbs. I also like hill bombing but don't get to do as much these days...
Favorite skaters: Matt Reason, Scott Bourne, Ricky Oyola, Ed Templeton, Wade Burkitt and recently Ryan Lay, Shin Sabongi and instagram-era Chico.
Music: Punk, thrash, 90s hiphop and some hardcore/ emo thrown in the mix when necessary. Also like 90s acid jazz and some random J-Pop
Married: Y
Kids: 2 (4.5 and 9 months)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 01:20:25 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #1601 on: July 10, 2019, 09:17:00 AM »
Set Up: Baker gold foil logo deck 8.0, Indy trucks, Spitfire wheels. Backup boards are a Real oval logo and a Santa Cruz logo both with Thunder trucks.
Preferred Terrain: Flatground, ledges, small stair sets
Favorite skaters:  Reynolds has been my favorite skater since I was about 15, Cardiel, Arto, Austin Kanfoush (because I know him in real life)
Music:  70's and 80's punk and hardcore (Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Minor Threat, etc...)
Married: Yes, for 10 years so far.
Kids: 2 kids, 8 year old daughter and 4 year old son.
Job: I manage a team in securities lending at one of the largest financial institutions in the world. I can safely say I hate my job but it pays the bills and my wife doesn't have to work, although she will be when my son starts kindergarten in the fall.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1602 on: July 10, 2019, 09:55:36 AM »

Let’s get these 2 trick lines bros
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:00:47 AM by VHS ERA »

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1603 on: July 10, 2019, 10:17:37 AM »

Good tools. Good old streching helps a bunch too. Resistance bands can be quite handy as well. Helped me tons. Just have to be consistent and use em every few days to keep everything feeling nice.

All about two trick ledge lines for now. Love the challenge. Second ledge trick is tricky tho, legs get tired! Gonna try and film something this summer, gotta find a filmer tho, my tripod useless for a line ;)

Dan, if I ever have questions about security lending, Im gonna hit you up. I work in the middle office for an investment co .

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #1604 on: July 10, 2019, 10:17:52 AM »

What are those handheld rollers for? Does it help stretch or just for soreness. I have a really stiff Nike foam roller but I only really use it to pop my back.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1605 on: July 10, 2019, 10:19:26 AM »
I feel bad because I never stretch...but I am so old now I wonder if it even matters.

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1606 on: July 10, 2019, 11:01:22 AM »

A 2 trick line for me nowadays would look something like an inward heel on flat then a fs shove down a 5 stair haha
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1607 on: July 10, 2019, 11:15:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

A 2 trick line for me nowadays would look something like an inward heel on flat then a fs shove down a 5 stair haha

Jumping down stairs? Couldn’t be me. I’m 31 but torn my ACL 3 times and meniscus are shot so not jumping off shit at all is how I keep skating. 2 trick line =flatground trick + ledge or manual trick

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1608 on: July 10, 2019, 12:13:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Jumping down stairs? Couldn’t be me. I’m 31 but torn my ACL 3 times and meniscus are shot so not jumping off shit at all is how I keep skating. 2 trick line =flatground trick + ledge or manual trick

Back in my younger days I would warm up on a 6 stair and move up to the 10 stair. I've never had issues with ligaments though. I have broken both of my ankles doing stairs. I still like to jump down stuff, but not like I used to...
FUCK YOU

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #1609 on: July 10, 2019, 12:56:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Back in my younger days I would warm up on a 6 stair and move up to the 10 stair. I've never had issues with ligaments though. I have broken both of my ankles doing stairs. I still like to jump down stuff, but not like I used to...

Im in my late 30's and just bomb hills, carve parks, do no comply variations, and red curbs.  I literally try to avoid popping my deck.  Had my days in my youth doing all that shit so I like the chill aspect

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 135
« Reply #1610 on: July 10, 2019, 02:57:33 PM »
41 and not quite done.
Still having fun, out getting some.
Here's my newest part, filmed over the last year.
Very heavy on ollies, 5050s & bank/wall rides. If you were to take all those out, it might be 2 minutes.
But what I lack in trick variation, I try to make up for with interesting spots. Hope it's enjoyed.

Dude this is amazing! Hitting kinked rails at 41?!

I don't even skate regular hand rails and I just turned 26 lmao.

Props that was a fun watch.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 848
« Reply #1611 on: July 10, 2019, 03:16:42 PM »

How do you like that deck? I was looking at it because I have problems with sleep paralysis and it sort of hits home for me haha.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1612 on: July 10, 2019, 07:24:49 PM »
What are those handheld rollers for? Does it help stretch or just for soreness. I have a really stiff Nike foam roller but I only really use it to pop my back.

Same function as a foam roller more or less. Loosens up tight muscles etc. Foam roller works better but it compliments it well.

[/quote]

How do you like that deck? I was looking at it because I have problems with sleep paralysis and it sort of hits home for me haha.

Lol, sorry sleep paralysis sounds fucked. I like it. Been enjoying it as much as all the other 8” polars I been skating. This graphic is metal af though.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 07:27:24 PM by VHS ERA »

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #1613 on: September 03, 2019, 06:21:28 PM »
After a long summer of nothing...torn meniscus/ACL strain compounded by some other background issues I got some serious end of summer nostalgia and got out my regular set up (had been using a cruiser to go get the mail) looked down and said "this shape is garbage!" and bought a new deck. Headed to the local highschool and skated solo for maybe 20-25 minutes just doing ollies up the curb/over catchbasin grates and manuals to figure out what my knee could take/I had left. Knee was dodgy but serviceable which in your mid40s is enough.

Just wanted to bump this thread and say to the other old guys sometimes you just need to buy something from the local to give yourself a kick in the ass to get back out there after a injury induced layoff.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
« Reply #1614 on: September 03, 2019, 06:45:58 PM »
I've had a bad run. I get broke off alot lately when I skate which is not a lot. Usually fucking around. It's kind of weird that confidence is everything in life in general. Definitely skating too. Hard to do shit without full commitment.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1615 on: September 03, 2019, 08:22:21 PM »
I am a dude.
Who is old.
Now I am posting...
Up here.

Now that I’m a member of the club, where do I send my dues?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

DotGuru

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1616 on: September 03, 2019, 11:15:51 PM »
This is as close as I'm going to get to drinking at the American Legion.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1617 on: September 03, 2019, 11:24:44 PM »
I'm 32, is that old enough to be an old dude?

coalition_msk

• Rep: 3
    • КОАЛИЦИЯ avatar image
« Reply #1618 on: September 03, 2019, 11:57:44 PM »
I feel bad because I never stretch...but I am so old now I wonder if it even matters.

I'm 40. i never stretch. fuck it

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1619 on: September 04, 2019, 12:26:06 AM »
I bring one of these with me whenever I have the time for a flatground session only:

Forces you to train pop and drains you of energy quiet effectively.