Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301631 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1830 on: September 20, 2020, 08:02:23 AM »
I’m wondering the same. I’m 30 and none of the padded up bowl skater dudes are trying to recruit me at my local park. But also I’ve easily got 10 years on most other kids I see at the park. I’m just out here trying to maintain mediocre ledge tricks and telling high schoolers who Ricky oyola is when they ask about the board I’m skating currently.
Expand Quote
What is old guys even?
30+?
40+?
Where/when does one cross the threshold into old age, skateboarding wise?
Is there a consensus?
[close]

That's funny b/c yesterday I was telling my 56 yr old friend who Ricky Oyola is. My friend started skateboarding in the 70s, came of age in the East Coast vert scene. I used to call him to go skate bigger tranny. Someone I could pad up with. However, these days, when I call, he's all about hitting the curb spots. He just learned frontside slappies. And was trying slappy crooks yesterday. I doubt he'll be learning flip tricks any time soon but he's out there 11 years older than me, several times week smashing curbs.

franc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #1831 on: September 20, 2020, 01:19:33 PM »
Hey y’all,
I see a lot of people in here talking about skating post injuries or after a hiatus. I’m 37 now, started skating ‘95 and definitely deal with lots of aches and pains these days. Below is something I posted in the Egg Shape thread, figured I’d post it here as well. I will add, I’ve found most of my back pain comes from my hip. I’ve got a lot of specific stretches that I do nowadays, and it definitely helped to focus on core strength. Anyways...

“I rocked a Krooked Cromer with some Thunder 149s and some Spitfire 80D wheels. I was coming off of a really bad back injury that had me off board for like 6-7 months. It was some of the worst constant pain I’ve ever had and it really fucked with my whole life. Needless to say I was pretty gunshy when I started pushing around again. Every time I went out on my regular board, I was so disheartened by how I felt. So I set up the Cromer as a way to not hold myself to any mental standard of skating. I would think “I’m just on a cruiser, so I don’t even have to try or do any tricks and it’s ok.” Before I even knew it a few weeks had gone by and I was rifling off Flatground tricks, cruising a bowl, hitting a bump to ledge... That setup helped me get back in the saddle so much that when I broke it doing some flip trick I bought another. Nowadays I skate my regular board again, but I have that setup (I swapped the 80Ds for some formula 4s) and still skate it a ton. I guess what I’m getting at with my long rambling story is; egg boards are fun as fuck & if you don’t like it as a regular setup, they make great fucking cruisers. Cheers y’all.”

Yes Sir. I set up my first shaped board as some kind of cruiser or board for crusty spots and miniramps 3 years ago and quickly really liked skating it. I now have 3 setups, 2 with shaped boards (8.25 90s shape with 144s and 8.125 square shape with 144s) and 1 with a popsicle. About to get one more setup, with my first egg shape (8.75 with 149s)! Can't wait. I totally second what you said about not holding yourself to any standard on shaped boards, even if I got used to them and now pretty much skate them like a regular board. The popsicle is the thing I don't want to miss 360 flips on, the shaped boards are TOYS.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #1832 on: September 20, 2020, 02:31:32 PM »
Anybody here have advice on some slappy maneuvers? I can fs slappy on (slightly) sloped red curbs but have a hard time on anything straight up and down. I recently moved and the only red curbs near me are the latter.

Step By Step

1.) Approach the curb frontside or backside depending which way is more comfortable to you.
2.) Make sure you have generated enough speed to ensure successful completion of the maneuver.
3.) At an angle, push your front foot into the curb while keeping your weight centered on the board.
4.) Turn into the grind and allow your back foot to position your board on top of the curb.
5.) Grind for as long as you have speed for and before you slow down lift of the curb and roll away to the next obstacle in your path.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1833 on: September 20, 2020, 10:42:52 PM »
i lift....until I don't have to anymore.....

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #1834 on: September 21, 2020, 08:58:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Anybody here have advice on some slappy maneuvers? I can fs slappy on (slightly) sloped red curbs but have a hard time on anything straight up and down. I recently moved and the only red curbs near me are the latter.
[close]

Step By Step

1.) Approach the curb frontside or backside depending which way is more comfortable to you.
2.) Make sure you have generated enough speed to ensure successful completion of the maneuver.
3.) At an angle, push your front foot into the curb while keeping your weight centered on the board.
4.) Turn into the grind and allow your back foot to position your board on top of the curb.
5.) Grind for as long as you have speed for and before you slow down lift of the curb and roll away to the next obstacle in your path.

Thanks! I typically try to carve into it but wasnt using my front foot to push into the curb at all. I’ll give that a shot.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1835 on: September 22, 2020, 08:50:26 AM »
Keep your front foot on or slightly behind the front bolts. Carving into them is good. Find a curb with a slight slant to learn them or a parking block. It's way easier.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1836 on: September 22, 2020, 09:19:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What is old guys even?
30+?
40+?
Where/when does one cross the threshold into old age, skateboarding wise?
Is there a consensus?
[close]
40+
If any 30-somethings disagree, wait til you hit 40...then you will understand.  :)
[close]

But if you're in your 40's, you remember a day when skating in your 20's you were old so I'm sure you can relate to the guy.....

I'm in my 40's and don't notice the difference than when I was in my 30's.....it's a weird measuring stick but comparatively I feel better now than in my 30's because back then all the guys in their 20's and teens shredded.....now you roll up to a park and the skill level has actually gone down.....

I can tell you when you start feeling older...is when you aren't getting any better and your friends quit...that and obviously injuries.....I've seen those little protégés turn 15 and they aren't the kid their parents told them they'd be...and you can tell...they feel old.

For me that was 30 (in 2006). I tried to do a rail transfer (low flat rail connected on both ends to cement pillars), which I had done before, but when we went to film it, the board banana-peeled out from under me and I jammed both wrists into the concrete hard as fuck. (both wrists pop in multiple spots from this now). Initially, I was psyched that I didn't fall on my face (I had just got teeth fixed). But the mental damage appeared. And by that, I mean confidence. Last rail (minus my flat bar at home) I ever skated. From there, my stair counts went from 9 to 6 to 4 over the next few years. Also, around the same time as my slam, a few friends moved away and quit skating and my local posse dwindled down to me and 2 guys. Then one of the guys became so obsessed with weed (then crack) and the other guy was in a band and quit too. Then 2 of my longest lasting skate friends (that had moved away) died in the last 3 years and I am just an army of 1 now. Skating parking lots behind buildings by myself, trying to recapture my Rubbish Heap and Public domain days of yore. I still never skate parks, and I love ledges and banks and curbs.

I had people telling me at 19 that I was too old to skate. Girls I knew laughing at the fact that I still skated at 22. Cops asking me "Aren't you a little old to be skating?" at 25. At 44, it's almost just a look of pity and shame I receive, with no verbal communication at all now.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #1837 on: September 22, 2020, 09:53:38 AM »
just turned 41.  gotta say I feel better skating now than i did at 31, despite the extra 30 pounds or so. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #1838 on: September 22, 2020, 10:09:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Is 30 old? been skating since 2001 but feel like i have been progressing faster the last 5 years then i ever have. Definitely feel more sore after a sesh then i did ten years ago but feel more focused and determined to try and learn new shit everyday. My younger 20 year old homies call me old but ive got older homies in their 40s still gettin it. Cant escape responsibilities and shit with each passing year but that dont mean you gotta stop progressing skate-wise.
[close]

No. I convinced myself I was old between 25 and 30 and that was a mistake. I felt like shit. I stopped caring in my mid-30s and started to feel and skate better. I think it was largely a mental thing. I also changed my diet, which cleared my head and helped my energy and motivation.

I'm 28 and this i feel like that right now, beginning to care less and enjoy myself.
I went surfing Saturday and I am still sore. What the fuck ! Slowing down on my partying now and beginning to appreciate the things that I used to as a teen. Seeing friends begin to either do that or double down on partying at this point.
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Dick Diablo

• Rep: -10
« Reply #1839 on: September 22, 2020, 12:03:25 PM »
I'm 48, I have been skating since 1985. The things I see that have changed for myself are:

1. I am no longer made of rubber and indestructible.

2. I wear pads, at least knee pads all the time because shit hurts now.

3. I no longer care about performing cool tricks or crazy antics. I am perfectly content carving and doing little simple stuff tricks or just cruising down the street and feeling the wheels under my feet.

4. I'm not rich or even well off, but I am not a broke scavenging gutter punk riding whatever scrap I can find. I have the money to buy any board or gear I want any time I want. Most guys do Corvettes and 20 year olds for their midlife crisis, I just buy skateboards.

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #1840 on: September 23, 2020, 06:20:53 AM »
I am 32 so I don't know if I'm old (for skateboarding), but I'm probably getting there. Either way, 32 is kind of old for having a first video part. I've been progressing laterally for years, gaining and losing ability. Can't manual for shit or work my way around a flat bar anymore. Never had tall drops, but love longer gaps. Some of my worse falls were in 2019, cutting my lip open, having close calls with knocking my head a few times, having the A1 pulley on my thumb in a permanent bump. I moved to Los Angeles for a career shift, escape from winter, and to live in Koreatown. With all the horseshit this year, I'm almost over it. Anyway, I'm the first guy.

http://www.villagepsychic.net/blog/adam-abadas-big-budget-video

https://youtu.be/F9XRCfr8W7Y?t=77

Sorry if this is self indulgent. I don't have much "pride" in self except for the learning to skate at the Everson Museum of Art, ability to get along with animals, and this trick which looks better as a photo than a clip.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFcKGo8FVFY/

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1841 on: September 23, 2020, 08:36:32 AM »
Haven't peeped this thread in a while but yeah, good stuff.

I spent a lot of time skating alone and reflecting during quarantine and came to a lot of realizations about my skating. I think one of the guys in Freddy's crew posted something about, as an aging skater, to just hold on to your favorite tricks, do them everywhere, and let the rest fall away. And taking that to heart, and running with it, I have been able to progress in my skating at 38. I think I was focusing on tricks that made skating less enjoyable, but in realizing like "ok, this is who I am and how I skate" I've been able to find a path forward.

Also want to agree with the people who mentioned cycling. Been biking to work every day lately (4.5 miles each way) and it has helped me feel way more comfortable on my board and gets me warmed up quick. Also just started some low-impact kettle bell stuff to work on my core, so I am optimistic about that.

@FatGuy92  my two cents for the slappy stuff:

Keep your body over your board and your shoulders square with the curb. There is a lot more upper body involved than is apparent at first. I also keep my front foot in the pocket (toe side) and find that helps with getting on.

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #1842 on: September 23, 2020, 09:44:20 AM »
Sorry if this is self indulgent.

Nah mate, this is cool, always stoked to see footage or pictures of fellow old farts (even when they're kinda young, haha). Nice part by the way!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 12:22:51 PM by franc »

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #1843 on: September 23, 2020, 10:09:36 AM »
I am 32 so I don't know if I'm old (for skateboarding), but I'm probably getting there. Either way, 32 is kind of old for having a first video part. I've been progressing laterally for years, gaining and losing ability. Can't manual for shit or work my way around a flat bar anymore. Never had tall drops, but love longer gaps. Some of my worse falls were in 2019, cutting my lip open, having close calls with knocking my head a few times, having the A1 pulley on my thumb in a permanent bump. I moved to Los Angeles for a career shift, escape from winter, and to live in Koreatown. With all the horseshit this year, I'm almost over it. Anyway, I'm the first guy.

Sorry if this is self indulgent. I don't have much "pride" in self except for the learning to skate at the Everson Museum of Art, ability to get along with animals, and this trick which looks better as a photo than a clip.

Great skating, thanks for posting

skunty

• Rep: 68
« Reply #1844 on: September 23, 2020, 11:14:02 AM »

If you're slappying on a curb that is 90 degrees straight into the ground and taller than your board, put your front foot on the bolts or even on the nose a bit and get your front truck on the curb first. If the curb is sloped at all or really short you can just treat it like coping on a quarter pipe, come at it pretty straight forward and just kinda kick turn onto it while leaning back a bit. You don't have to go as fast as most people say, I think its easiest to learn by slappy axel stall first and once youve figured that out add speed to make it grind

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1845 on: September 23, 2020, 11:44:32 AM »
I'm going to disagree with the foot on the nose thing. Not only does that look terrible, it risks you lifting the back truck up instead of smashing/ carving into it. Slappies on 90 degree curbs can be done properly but it takes a bit more finesse. Keep that front foot on the bolts or back to avoid bad habits.

skunty

• Rep: 68
« Reply #1846 on: September 23, 2020, 12:00:14 PM »
I'm going to disagree with the foot on the nose thing. Not only does that look terrible, it risks you lifting the back truck up instead of smashing/ carving into it. Slappies on 90 degree curbs can be done properly but it takes a bit more finesse. Keep that front foot on the bolts or back to avoid bad habits.

true it does look like shit if you're all the way up on the nose. I didnt really mean it like that, I didn't word it too great I meant more like your foot fully over the bolts with the edge of your shoe up against where the nose starts to bend up. That may not be as cool as your ones but if youre failing at those then my way will get you over the hump, and I've been able to move my foot back a bit since learning it that way. Plus itll teach you how to slappy crook which is cool.

halfbad

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1847 on: September 23, 2020, 12:38:36 PM »
I'm 48, I have been skating since 1985. The things I see that have changed for myself are:

1. I am no longer made of rubber and indestructible.

2. I wear pads, at least knee pads all the time because shit hurts now.

3. I no longer care about performing cool tricks or crazy antics. I am perfectly content carving and doing little simple stuff tricks or just cruising down the street and feeling the wheels under my feet.

4. I'm not rich or even well off, but I am not a broke scavenging gutter punk riding whatever scrap I can find. I have the money to buy any board or gear I want any time I want. Most guys do Corvettes and 20 year olds for their midlife crisis, I just buy skateboards.

I feel this. I'm 32, so perhaps not old yet, but I've got a reconstructed ACL. Simple things like powerslides,  cracking smooth ollies and going fast/hill bombs are often enough now.

It's also nice to not have to scrounge anymore. I do okay so I've always got a fresh board, set of wheels, etc. Guess that's kinda the trade-off.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #1848 on: September 23, 2020, 04:31:01 PM »
Hello I am 44 and I bought an Element flat bar today.
ok thanks

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #1849 on: September 23, 2020, 10:08:37 PM »

I get what youre saying about lateral progession.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1850 on: September 23, 2020, 10:38:12 PM »

Holy shit... Mah duuude!!!
Looks like you put in the work for that one. Plenty to love in there.
I’m a fan of the flip from the block to the lip on the curb.
Lots of props and an extra serving of shalom for you, sir.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #1851 on: September 23, 2020, 10:45:21 PM »

you hoping you learn feebles before 50 too?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1852 on: September 23, 2020, 11:05:26 PM »

Shit dude, you rip. Not old and rip too hard. You might need your own thread.

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 201
« Reply #1853 on: September 24, 2020, 06:40:09 AM »
First post ...

I'm 43. Started skating in 88 and had a long hiatus from 2005 until last year's spring. Currently riding a Koloss in 8.8, but a 9.4 Heroin egg is already waiting. Unfortunately my patellar tendonitis is stopping me from skating right now. Fingers crossed that I'll be back in a couple of weeks.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1854 on: September 24, 2020, 07:48:03 AM »
I am 46. Been skating non-stop since I was 11-years-old. I broke my leg/Fib (just above ankle) with bad ligament damage in May 2019. Lots of hardware, and two surgeries. I broke it on a 6' mini doing a "set-up" trick I've done 1,000s of times. I just started skating again in March 2020. Was out almost a year. My ankle will never be the same. Weaker, with a lot less flexibility. But it is slowly making progress. I honestly thought I would never be able to skate again for awhile. I can now, but not at the level before the break. I was doing 7-stair rails (just boardslides) at 45-years-old. That b/s disaster in my sig file ain't going to ever happen again...but I am still skating, and that's all that counts. The entire process taught me a few things about being an "old guy skater."

-Have no expectations (of what you "should" be able to do). Carry those and it will only lead to frustration, anger, and resentment. Abandon them, and skateboarding opens up like never before.

-Play the Long Game. Shift focus from thinking about what rad new tricks to learn today, to thinking about what you can do today to make sure you are skating tomorrow.

-Skate as often as you possibly can. There is real truth to the phrase "use it or loose it." That is even more true as we age.

-A harsh reality is the we simply do not react, or heal, as quick as we used to. Soft tissue damage is a common injury among us old guys. We also become more stiff with age. A bail can suddenly turn into a pulled or torn muscle. Regular stretching can help avoid (or minimize) that. To that end, pads can be your best friend (esp. on mini ramps/small transitons). Again, we do not heal/react as fast. A bad run-out can instantly turn into a twisted/torn knee or ankle...a good knee slide avoids that problem.

In short, there are three pillars to guy-skating, which will keep you rolling, and smiling, for a long time.

1. No expectations.
2. Low Impact skating.
3. Pads, when applicable. 

IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

BeardedBastard

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1855 on: September 24, 2020, 07:54:22 AM »
44, had too many stop/start moments to recollect at this point. Started skating again last April with my kids after not skating consistently for about 20 years.

I’ve had a bunch of fuck this moments this go around, but fortunately I skate with couple dudes my age who just rip so it keeps me going. Not to mention all the old timers I see at the skateparks doing their thing.

My kids are no where near as obsessed as I am, and at first it bummed me out, but hey it’s my trip not theirs.

I’ve improved a ton (for me) since restarting but I have to constantly remind myself that I’m not younger me. I can’t slappy for shit, my flat ground sucks, but I am cool with all that. I am just happy to be back on a board and doing what I can. 

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #1856 on: September 24, 2020, 07:55:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you hoping you learn feebles before 50 too?
I can slap them in. How do you get over the feeling when you ollie into it you are overshooting and going to die?

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1857 on: September 24, 2020, 07:56:30 AM »
^ good post. Mentioned before, coming off the ankle / foot injury. Now my left knee feels weak af, so my new pet peeve. One advantage I have felt, as I get old... is reverting back to "fun skating". And what I mean is "not going to really hurt myself" skating. Once stairs and rails showed up, that was a different type of skating. So now I'm going backwards I suppose. Low impact everything, which to me, is when skating is fun, not jumping off shit and hoping for the best. I've got my son riding his BMX and we go cruise together at night - him on the bike, me on my board. All I'm trying to do right now is get my legs back so in a few weeks I can go for some tricks again. But we are going EVERY night so hopefully this goes as planned!

Fernandito

• Rep: -77
« Reply #1858 on: September 24, 2020, 08:44:20 AM »
Just turned 26. I’m now the same age as the jaded “old” local that I used to pester as a kid after playing extreme goofy skateboarding and have none of the wisdom or maturity to show for it
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 08:51:38 AM by Fernandito »

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1859 on: September 24, 2020, 08:48:22 AM »
26 - cmon man, your not old.

Board got run over last night, and it survived!! Super stoked on that.

Then out of the blue, figured id try a new trick, and landed it first time. Couldnt redo it after tho. BS 180 nosegrind back to regs (like a f/s noselside, but you grind if ya know what I mean - tha nice Mike York trick from peir 7...) I was soo pumped. It was perfect. \

Last night was allot of fun.