Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301820 times)

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1860 on: September 24, 2020, 09:28:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Hello I am 44 and I bought an Element flat bar today.
[close]

you hoping you learn feebles before 50 too?

Haha, as nice as that sounds....I will be happy getting back 50-50s on lock.
ok thanks

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1861 on: September 25, 2020, 07:46:59 PM »
First time on the ole wooden swing set as a 45 year old and after months of mostly Covid Curb Crushing.... Felt pretty good but its a whole other game...

ndsr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1862 on: September 25, 2020, 08:18:13 PM »
First time on the ole wooden swing set as a 45 year old and after months of mostly Covid Curb Crushing.... Felt pretty good but its a whole other game...

Get it!

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1863 on: September 26, 2020, 05:46:16 PM »
26 - cmon man, your not old.

Board got run over last night, and it survived!! Super stoked on that.

Then out of the blue, figured id try a new trick, and landed it first time. Couldnt redo it after tho. BS 180 nosegrind back to regs (like a f/s noselside, but you grind if ya know what I mean - tha nice Mike York trick from peir 7...) I was soo pumped. It was perfect. \

Last night was allot of fun.
I’ve never done that one, tried to no avail.  Slash did a sick one of those at  a steep bank spot that is right by a skatepark in SD north county I believe.  The ditch is better than the skatepark in my opinion

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #1864 on: September 26, 2020, 07:23:38 PM »
I'm alright with mid 20's skaters being old...it's that stage when you start thinking maybe it's all downhill, all your friends quit, and you feel adulthood kicking in.....

Obscura

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1865 on: September 26, 2020, 10:20:02 PM »

Sick! Is this Clatskanie?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1866 on: September 27, 2020, 02:47:05 PM »
It is indeed Clatskanie. You skate there?

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #1867 on: September 27, 2020, 02:56:57 PM »
Old dude things I realized I did today at my local spot (empty parking lot):
Brought a cooler
Speaker playing music
Swept the spot before skating
Waxed curbs lightly before skating
Warmed up on my 8.5 then switched to 8.38 when I got tired
Realized I need new wristguards
Filmed myself doing a lipslide
Picked up trash before leaving the spot
Filmed my 5 year old skating
Had fun making fun of myself
Flipped my board 0 times and I’m cool with that

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #1868 on: September 27, 2020, 04:29:19 PM »
I never vibed older guys when i was young

I only hope i am as lucky now

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1869 on: September 28, 2020, 05:54:58 AM »
Has this been posted yet? It's fantastic.

https://blog.slamcity.com/senior-skateboarding/

Esther Sayers: Yes! Our family holidays are always skate tours now but during the last one to Dorset I found that it was often me skating alone. I often out skate my kids these days – my drive is more urgent somehow. They have years left to skate, I on the other hand find every moment precious and treat it as such. It’s normal to do that kind of holiday in a ski context, but not skate.
ok thanks

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1870 on: September 28, 2020, 08:01:32 AM »
Has this been posted yet? It's fantastic.

https://blog.slamcity.com/senior-skateboarding/

Expand Quote
Esther Sayers: Yes! Our family holidays are always skate tours now but during the last one to Dorset I found that it was often me skating alone. I often out skate my kids these days – my drive is more urgent somehow. They have years left to skate, I on the other hand find every moment precious and treat it as such. It’s normal to do that kind of holiday in a ski context, but not skate.
[close]

quote hurts my heart a bit. I think about this each fall (which is finally happening), that "I wonder how many more Fall weathers I have to skate"

MS1605

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1871 on: September 28, 2020, 08:07:17 AM »
Checking in.

33 y/o and 2 weeks in after a 15 year hiatus.
I don't remember everything hurting like this...
Old man.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1872 on: September 28, 2020, 09:04:07 AM »
So I was called out as a ‘dick’ last week but some younger ones. (16-19 year old Id say)
Actually quite funny. New generation seems a little soft – maybe Im too hard? (I really doubt it..)

So skating the local spot, and having fun on a ledge.
2 kids show up. Start skating around.
One of them proceeds to leave his backpack at the foot of the ledge – so if I 50-50’ed it end to end, Id land on his backpack. Park was empty, lots of place to leave your bag.
We are opposite ends of park.
I shout at the kid, “Don’t leave your bag there, its in the way”
He gives me an odd look, and moves it. His friends rolls by, they exchange words amongst themselves.

I try to film a few tricks, or attempts at them when I skate alone, and I had my Iphone on a tripod running. It was right by the ledge, so I caught their little convo on tape.
So the kid who puts down his bag, when I shout at him to move the bag, he just kinda sighs and  mutters out “chill out guy” –
His friends then proceeds to roll by and states “that guys a dick, he yells at us ev-ery-time”

For the record, Ill only ‘yell’ at them if they blatantly leave shit in the way ( I think this was the first time this year, or the only time I can remember). I skate alone 95% of the time, so when someone shows up to skate I’m kinda happy, Ill say hi (regardless of age), try to make small talk, give props for tricks landed, and basically have fun. I skate for fun.

Funny thing is, one of the kids had a some wax, and I asked if I could borrow it, and the transactions was quite cold..lol. I did complement his signature Nyjah Element wax tho…

Ill try not to yell at them next time. I guess Ill skate a different obstacle and make my way over and move the bag or ask them in a softer/kinder voice.

The yelling seemed warranted. And the park is kinda rough around the edges, so a little shouting really isn’t outta place.

I find this all kinda funny, I don’t really feel like I was out of line but I suppose they didn’t see it that way – My wife nicknamed me Karen for the weekend. It’s been great.

And Hell yea @Frank and Fred. Looking good!!!

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #1873 on: September 28, 2020, 04:14:48 PM »

Yeah! Get it!

Glurmpz

« Reply #1874 on: September 28, 2020, 04:49:30 PM »
So I was called out as a ‘dick’ last week but some younger ones. (16-19 year old Id say)
Actually quite funny. New generation seems a little soft – maybe Im too hard? (I really doubt it..)

So skating the local spot, and having fun on a ledge.
2 kids show up. Start skating around.
One of them proceeds to leave his backpack at the foot of the ledge – so if I 50-50’ed it end to end, Id land on his backpack. Park was empty, lots of place to leave your bag.
We are opposite ends of park.
I shout at the kid, “Don’t leave your bag there, its in the way”
He gives me an odd look, and moves it. His friends rolls by, they exchange words amongst themselves.

I try to film a few tricks, or attempts at them when I skate alone, and I had my Iphone on a tripod running. It was right by the ledge, so I caught their little convo on tape.
So the kid who puts down his bag, when I shout at him to move the bag, he just kinda sighs and  mutters out “chill out guy” –
His friends then proceeds to roll by and states “that guys a dick, he yells at us ev-ery-time”

For the record, Ill only ‘yell’ at them if they blatantly leave shit in the way ( I think this was the first time this year, or the only time I can remember). I skate alone 95% of the time, so when someone shows up to skate I’m kinda happy, Ill say hi (regardless of age), try to make small talk, give props for tricks landed, and basically have fun. I skate for fun.

Funny thing is, one of the kids had a some wax, and I asked if I could borrow it, and the transactions was quite cold..lol. I did complement his signature Nyjah Element wax tho…

Ill try not to yell at them next time. I guess Ill skate a different obstacle and make my way over and move the bag or ask them in a softer/kinder voice.

The yelling seemed warranted. And the park is kinda rough around the edges, so a little shouting really isn’t outta place.

I find this all kinda funny, I don’t really feel like I was out of line but I suppose they didn’t see it that way – My wife nicknamed me Karen for the weekend. It’s been great.

And Hell yea @Frank and Fred. Looking good!!!

Well you’re not being a dick, those kids are just being dumb. I maybe would have skated over and sad hi and asked nicely, knowing how kids can be, but they may have reacted the same then. I’ve encountered this sort of thing lots. Skaters not paying attention when a group of people are skating a specific obstacle and them standing right if front of it or sitting on it. The other day I was at a street spot, filming someone skating a ledge in a line. Another skater showed up, said hi, and then proceeded to go sit his stuff right on the ledge we were filming on, which he clearly saw as he arrived, and then got into a whole stretching routine right there. The whole time I’m looking at my friend like “Is this guy a fucking idiot?!”. After a minute or two I had to speak up, so I just hollered over “hey - look out right there, that’s where we’re filming”, and dude moved on. Still, boggles my mind how clueless some people are.

louchi88

• Rep: -23
« Reply #1875 on: October 02, 2020, 06:36:44 AM »
Set Up: 8.5 Blank
             52mm Bones STF Deadheads
             Ace 44's
             Bones Swiss Ceramic
             Jessup
Code: [Select]
GripPreferred Terrain: Street, ditches and mini
Favorite skaters: Matt Hensley, Ray Barbee, Brain Lotti, Lance Mountain and Cab
Music: The Smiths, Joy Division, Dinosaur Jr, My Bloddy Valentine, Pink Floyd...
Married: Yes, 15 going on 16 years.
Kids: 1
Occupation: Adjunct College Instructor and Freelance Graphic Designer

If I were a lesbian I’d be straight
Set Up:
Board -8.125 AWS
Wheels- ACID WHEELS (straight from zumiez) anyone know anything about new OJ NOMAD WHEELS ??  95a ??? I want them bad
Trucks-148 hollow Thunders need indys again so bad
Bearings-swiss my homie gave me them years ago

Mob Grip
Preferred Terrain:ledges mannies
Favorite skaters: greco Berle AVE Ellington delfino Dickson Sammy montano jacopo

Music:rap ambulance kind like griseldas new shit
Shoes: vans pro
Occupation: hussles id donanything to have a skate shop/barbershop and be an ambassador for skate brands   

I breathe skateboarding I cried watching baker 4 when Ellington ss frontside flipped  those steps and steamer gave him a hug

sbmfj

« Reply #1876 on: October 02, 2020, 08:37:33 AM »
I feel your pain Grumpz. Glad to know Im not alone out there ...

Enjoy the weekend guys, hope it doesnt rain where ever you are...

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1877 on: October 02, 2020, 08:46:41 PM »
35... i haven't skated much in the past few years because of back and foot injuries but have been playing with a cruiser and softwheels a little lately.

I do counseling with this little dude who is 6 and we do all kinds of shit like riding bikes, playing guitar, trying new tools, or working in the garden, but last time I broke out a couple boards and we went to the bike trail. He's a real little guy and was tic tacking all over the place but couldn't push, so I grabbed a smallish, broken tree branch, had him hold on, and starting pushing down the path. This little homie was super stoked! I hauled him around for an hour before I got too tired. It was cool to see this tiny little dude try shit even though he can't push, like dirt mounds and redwood stumps/roots were just something for him to try to ride down. As for me, I definitely couldn't land any flippers but had fun with some 180s and bonelesses. Reckon I'll get some skate shoes instead of these new balance 574s that can't stick for shit for the next episode. What's the coolest, other than how pumped the little dude was, is that my body back didn't hurt and i wasn't limping afterwards. keep pushn, y'all!
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1878 on: October 03, 2020, 05:26:51 AM »
35... i haven't skated much in the past few years because of back and foot injuries but have been playing with a cruiser and softwheels a little lately.

I do counseling with this little dude who is 6 and we do all kinds of shit like riding bikes, playing guitar, trying new tools, or working in the garden, but last time I broke out a couple boards and we went to the bike trail. He's a real little guy and was tic tacking all over the place but couldn't push, so I grabbed a smallish, broken tree branch, had him hold on, and starting pushing down the path. This little homie was super stoked! I hauled him around for an hour before I got too tired. It was cool to see this tiny little dude try shit even though he can't push, like dirt mounds and redwood stumps/roots were just something for him to try to ride down. As for me, I definitely couldn't land any flippers but had fun with some 180s and bonelesses. Reckon I'll get some skate shoes instead of these new balance 574s that can't stick for shit for the next episode. What's the coolest, other than how pumped the little dude was, is that my body back didn't hurt and i wasn't limping afterwards. keep pushn, y'all!

this is so damn rad.
ok thanks

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1879 on: October 05, 2020, 10:50:51 AM »
43. Or I could just list my age as no comply. :D
Checking in from the left coast with my latest part.
First part in the video below.
Its funny, without a doubt, I've skated more handrails in the first few years of my 40's than I did throughout my whole 30's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69oqbfhSRrw&t=115s

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #1880 on: October 05, 2020, 11:23:51 AM »
Old dude things I realized I did today at my local spot (empty parking lot):
Brought a cooler
Speaker playing music
Swept the spot before skating
Waxed curbs lightly before skating
Warmed up on my 8.5 then switched to 8.38 when I got tired
Realized I need new wristguards
Filmed myself doing a lipslide
Picked up trash before leaving the spot
Filmed my 5 year old skating
Had fun making fun of myself
Flipped my board 0 times and I’m cool with that

Yes to,

Wrist guards
Speaker
Broomin’
No flips
Multiple set ups.

Plus one if you get up at 6AM to skate your local. I’m a Midwest guy so this ain’t to escape heat. All old guy shit but I’m good with it.

sbmfj

« Reply #1881 on: October 05, 2020, 12:17:27 PM »
Solid part Matt, that was awesome!!

Cool spots, and looks like you and your crew are having a blast. Keep it up.

Im gonna go and try to find a wallride spot now. :)

Glurmpz

« Reply #1882 on: October 05, 2020, 12:28:25 PM »
43. Or I could just list my age as no comply. :D
Checking in from the left coast with my latest part.
First part in the video below.
Its funny, without a doubt, I've skated more handrails in the first few years of my 40's than I did throughout my whole 30's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69oqbfhSRrw&t=115s

Damn! Such a rad part. Also didn’t recognize pretty much any of the spots... jealous. Haha. I’m crossing my fingers to also get a front nose on a rail for the video I’m working on now, that was dope. Inspiration for a fellow 43’er!

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1883 on: October 05, 2020, 12:47:53 PM »

Respect, that front nose on the handrail is inspiration.  I’m gonna go skate now

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #1884 on: October 05, 2020, 01:27:26 PM »
been hitting the skate park with my daughter durning lunch breaks, it's always empty and she likes to ride around on blades. today was my 47th birthday and i wanted to ollie this cone that's waist high on me of this bump and land a kickflip to celebrate and feel like i can still do bare minimum tricks for all the years of work i've put in. such a hard hobby to maintain...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF-XkNNJkrd/

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 652
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1885 on: October 05, 2020, 02:06:52 PM »
jesus you guys have good spots. it is wild to me what the spots are like that the pros dont skate that the average joe finds fun. your spots are better than most skate parks we have here lmao but some of those rails were no joke still some of them were quite steep. ur fuckin nuts triyng that shit at 43 buddy i dont hardly skate rails anymore at 34 lol i can do it but i guess i dont really have the spots to keep up with it like i used to. (used to live near a park with a perfect 6 stair handrail)
ONTARIO CANADA

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1886 on: October 05, 2020, 02:24:22 PM »
been hitting the skate park with my daughter durning lunch breaks, it's always empty and she likes to ride around on blades. today was my 47th birthday and i wanted to ollie this cone that's waist high on me of this bump and land a kickflip to celebrate and feel like i can still do bare minimum tricks for all the years of work i've put in. such a hard hobby to maintain...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF-XkNNJkrd/

That's tight, I'm 39 and really hoping I can be as nimble at your age.

DontBlowNoBubbles

« Reply #1887 on: October 05, 2020, 02:43:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Respect, that front nose on the handrail is inspiration.  I’m gonna go skate now

Excellent part.  Good spots, good music, and great skating.  Also love the variety.  And, of course, that handrail game is unfu$%withable, even more so given that you're 43.  Great watch. 

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1888 on: October 05, 2020, 08:10:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this is so damn rad.

hell ya, thanks for saying so. This little dude's been through a handful of foster homes and his bio-mom just passed a month ago. although he's had a solid, loving placement for the past year, it's some serious hard luck and trauma that most adults i know couldn't handle. So, I think, if he keeps digging it, we're going to stick with skating for a while. I come from an intact family and sucked at skating. All the best shredders I knew had serious issues at home and looking through an ecosystemic/counseling lens now, I see skating as their outlet and safe zone. Trying to cultivate a community has to start at the roots, you know?
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1889 on: October 05, 2020, 08:47:51 PM »
Respect, thank you for making the world a better place