Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 303206 times)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1373
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2100 on: March 03, 2021, 07:38:07 AM »
Heres my 2020 tripod edit. Had fun making it, weird how a camera can be a source of motivation to get a trick. Learnt f/s noselides and the reg noselide 270 shuv out last summer - was hyped on new tricks. And managed to re-learn the nosesldie nosegrind on a ledge - used to slappy em back in the day. 43 years young.

Can any of you Europeans decipher the quebecois?

And I skated that board that got run over for a solid month after - didnt even snap! It has since been donated to some Cuban skaters. Love those Control boards!

You're ripping as usual, gets me fired up!

franc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #2101 on: March 03, 2021, 10:42:44 AM »
Rad clip, solid moves!

I find those noseslide to crooked grinds hard! Did a few slappying into them, would love to get one on a proper ledge like you did!

Can decipher québécois for sure, tabarouette. My girlfriend has family in MTL, Québec, Trois-Rivières and Rimouski. Can't wait to visit again, Quebec is fantastic.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2102 on: March 03, 2021, 11:21:25 AM »
Ha! Thats awesome Franc, give me a shout next time you come if you have time for a skate. Good scenes in all those cities! (and some tasty food too)

I struggled with the noseslide to krooks for a good part of the summer, and then watched the Mike York trick tip. Helped a bunch and managed to land it after a session or two.

Good luck!

And Thanks Madam Adam!

franc

• Rep: 101
« Reply #2103 on: March 03, 2021, 12:00:40 PM »
Yeah man, sounds good, I'll give you a shout if I'm in town and have my board!

I never watch trick tips but I'm going to check this one out, I really need help with these! Thanks.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #2104 on: March 04, 2021, 12:21:45 AM »
Heres my 2020 tripod edit. Had fun making it, weird how a camera can be a source of motivation to get a trick. Learnt f/s noselides and the reg noselide 270 shuv out last summer - was hyped on new tricks. And managed to re-learn the nosesldie nosegrind on a ledge - used to slappy em back in the day. 43 years young.

And I skated that board that got run over for a solid month after - didnt even snap! It has since been donated to some Cuban skaters. Love those Control boards!

I'd say I understood about 80%! so between you, Franc and me, we got a Swiss, a Quebecois and a Frenchie living in Belgium....we got a good part of the francophonie covered!   ;D

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
« Reply #2105 on: March 04, 2021, 03:24:17 PM »
HELL YEAH SBMFJ! Making me jones for the street cleaners, thanks for the inspiration.

Fhk

« Reply #2106 on: March 04, 2021, 03:51:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'd say I understood about 80%! so between you, Franc and me, we got a Swiss, a Quebecois and a Frenchie living in Belgium....we got a good part of the francophonie covered!   ;D
My wife's family are from Quebec and it sure would be helpful to know something more than tabarnak! I live near lac magantec and it's embarrassing not speaking the language when I'm visiting.  :-X

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2107 on: March 10, 2021, 12:46:12 AM »
I swear my body fucking hates me. Went skating monday morning, 3rd sesh in 3 weeks, so I was starting to feel comfortable on the board again....Then after an hour of skating, I tried to ollie off this small launch ramp and my calf fucking exploded. Felt like getting stabbed in the calf. So, pulled muscle. Nothing major but I've been limping for two days and apparently, I will have to wait around two months to hop on the board again. So there goes my skateboarding spring.   >:(
Anyone dealt with that kind of injury before? btw my calf started to hurt a little before this happened, but I brushed if off and kept skating....so if you have some minor muscle pain during a session, my advice is to stop skating to avoid a real injury....

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #2108 on: March 10, 2021, 02:33:10 AM »
I swear my body fucking hates me. Went skating monday morning, 3rd sesh in 3 weeks, so I was starting to feel comfortable on the board again....Then after an hour of skating, I tried to ollie off this small launch ramp and my calf fucking exploded. Felt like getting stabbed in the calf. So, pulled muscle. Nothing major but I've been limping for two days and apparently, I will have to wait around two months to hop on the board again. So there goes my skateboarding spring.   >:(
Anyone dealt with that kind of injury before? btw my calf started to hurt a little before this happened, but I brushed if off and kept skating....so if you have some minor muscle pain during a session, my advice is to stop skating to avoid a real injury....

I feel your pain mate, haven't done that to my calf specifically, but i'm like a walking injury management example most of the time these days...ice for the first 24-48 hours, then heat after that, and just rest up for a few days, follow your docs advice and don't rush back to skating.

I've been working off another ankle roll for the past couple of months, it has been lingering a bit but manageable... went out for a couple hours on sunday and banana peeled trying to land a fakie 3 shuv, landed tail heavy and went down awkwardly onto an outstretched hand with my back kind of twisted and legs out to the side... I've managed to pull/tear something in the bottom of my back, so I'll be out for a month I reckon...pretty sure this is an old injury that i've just managed to wake up again.

Skating in your 30s and beyond seems to be mostly about managing injuries and fitness, and just fitting in what skating you can when your body is feeling cooperative!

fuck fakie 3 shuvs, not going there again.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2194
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2109 on: March 10, 2021, 12:06:49 PM »
I've posted this elsewhere, but this IS the old dudes thread, so I'm going to "recycle" for fun's sake.
Three 50 year old dudes who have been skating this curb together for better than 30 years doing their impersonation of skateboarding's Blue Angels. Grey Angels (as the good homey who uploaded it put it) is a far more accurate description.
So, in summary: a cumulative total of 150 years worth of old guys, putting a collective 90 years of experience at this spot to use. You'd have thought with numbers like that, we would have been able to put together something a little more dramatic/exciting, but meh, it am what it am.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #2110 on: March 10, 2021, 01:38:38 PM »
I've posted this elsewhere, but this IS the old dudes thread, so I'm going to "recycle" for fun's sake.
Three 50 year old dudes who have been skating this curb together for better than 30 years doing their impersonation of skateboarding's Blue Angels. Grey Angels (as the good homey who uploaded it put it) is a far more accurate description.
So, in summary: a cumulative total of 150 years worth of old guys, putting a collective 90 years of experience at this spot to use. You'd have thought with numbers like that, we would have been able to put together something a little more dramatic/exciting, but meh, it am what it am.

That is amazing. I'll be 48 this summer and am trying to push some fellow oldies to get back on boards for just this sort of fun/camaraderie. I started sending them shitty clips of me skating just to let them know fun is the goal - nothing crazy.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #2111 on: March 10, 2021, 01:44:17 PM »
I had to wear a compression sleeve around my calf for a few months after overdoing it. I hope your healing is faster than that. Cold weather contributed to my injury.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
« Reply #2112 on: March 10, 2021, 04:31:22 PM »
I haven't stepped on a board in 3 months and better weather is coming. Hope my body cooperates. All i want to do is find a nice curb and spacer curb spot but i don't think there is one in the whole state of RI ☹️

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2113 on: March 11, 2021, 01:10:25 AM »
thanks guys for the get better wishes!
I can almost walk without limping today, so things are slowly improving.
and yeah, back pain is a bitch for sure! I had that for around two years, until a doc showed me core strengthening exercices that I still do pretty religiously.

The camaraderie thing is really a big part of it and I miss my old skate friends so much. The bonds you create by eating shit on concrete for hours when you're 15 last for life! The problem is, I'm from the Paris area and now live in Brussels....and my old pals are scattered everywhere: Marseille, Paris, les Cévennes close to Montpellier, Lyon....Really jealous of those 3 guys who still session the same curb together 30 years later! that was dope btw..... 8)

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2114 on: March 11, 2021, 06:22:17 AM »
Awesome clip Lou!!
Hope to be able to do the same in 6 years from now - 50 seesm far enough away, but 6 years doesnt really feel that long either. Id be stoked if I had a crew at that age!!

To Fuk Hu - Thats awesome you live near Megantic - didnt think there'd be too many Anglos out in those parts. Next time you wanna impress someone with your french, if you need a quarter, call it a "trente sous" (thirty cents) Old french dudes call quarters 'trente sous' as back in the day you could melt down a quarter and sell the silver for 30 cents. Took me years to figure this out (ie in my 30's). Youll get some street cred!

Hang in the Frenchie, hopefully it will heal up soon. Slammed had last summer messing around on a back 180's and killed my lower back - such a drag. I got start streching a bit more to get ready for the summer. Sounds like when youre all healed up you should head to France for a quick skate trip!!

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #2115 on: March 11, 2021, 08:07:58 AM »
37 here. Anyone else having trouble getting motivated after winter? I always have Shakey legs the first few seshs. Just being a bitch for no reason. Peace.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1061
« Reply #2116 on: March 11, 2021, 08:25:00 AM »
37 here. Anyone else having trouble getting motivated after winter? I always have Shakey legs the first few seshs. Just being a bitch for no reason. Peace.

37 is a dangerous year. I have emails from 6 years ago calling it my ‘final push’. Meaning my last chance to hold on to my tricks. So, I Bought a track bike and started riding everywhere I normally drove. I also expanded my quiver and put together what I was calling at the time a ‘street masher’ which was just a 8.5” with 57mm Key Frames. I split my time between skating at the park with my ‘trick board’ and hitting the streets with my masher. It worked until I started biking too much and hurt my sciatic nerve. It hurt so bad I lost the ability to Ollie for an entire fall.

6 years later I’m in the same spot but not expecting to have ‘tricks’ anymore. I’m just looking to feel comfortable on my board and surprise myself.

So, what I’m saying is if you pride yourself on your skateboard ability this is the time. It’s too late for me but I wanna get some too...

Let’s fuckin’ goooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2117 on: March 11, 2021, 05:40:20 PM »

You get older.

Everything takes a bit longer and is harder to do than last time.

If in doubt, just roll around and enjoy it for what it is, rather than pushing for what you had or what you want.

Any time off or minimal periods of skating is going to mean you lose muscle strength and take a whole lot more to get going again.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2118 on: March 11, 2021, 05:43:42 PM »
Micro sessions. I've been trying to squeeze in 30 to 60 min mini sessions every dry day. Keeps me familiar with the board and is less harsh on the body than a weekly four hour beat down. Could be 30 mins of flatground outside the house or a lunch time park session. I'm digging this approach to the wooden toy and it seems to help me mentally get though the day also.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1391
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2119 on: March 11, 2021, 08:25:59 PM »
Micro sessions. I've been trying to squeeze in 30 to 60 min mini sessions every dry day. Keeps me familiar with the board and is less harsh on the body than a weekly four hour beat down. Could be 30 mins of flatground outside the house or a lunch time park session. I'm digging this approach to the wooden toy and it seems to help me mentally get though the day also.

that's what's up. before I just jacked my ankle, which is getting better, that's what my aim was- just skating for as long as it felt good, which was usually about an hour or so at a single spot. I was able to skate most days and not feel sore as death. started learning more tricks too, which I think was due to getting less frustrated and tired
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #2120 on: March 21, 2021, 05:59:45 AM »
relearned these. i first learned these last year of high school 30 years ago on parking blocks at this financial bank we used to skate. i've been doing them on other things but felt so good to do them something like a parking block.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1061
« Reply #2121 on: March 21, 2021, 06:10:30 AM »
^^^Fuck yeah! That was nasty. I’d be proud of that one too.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2122 on: March 22, 2021, 12:47:01 AM »
last Saturday I was having a good session, weather was sunny, the air temperature was good and as I started to get fatigued and switched to the most basic of tricks, I did that slip out thing where the front leg stays on the board and the back leg catches on the pavement and you sorta do a split

it hurt like hell, but I was able to walk it off, but it has now been more than a week and my knee and most of my leg below it feel weak and painful. the pain disappears if I go for a long walk with my dog, but if I am sitting still, it flares up again. hope it heals up soon

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #2123 on: March 22, 2021, 08:52:54 AM »
Does anyone's knee ever feel loose?

My front legs knee feels kind of loose. Not so much pain, it's only painful walking up stairs and then it's mild.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2124 on: March 22, 2021, 12:07:23 PM »

My front legs knee feels kind of loose. Not so much pain, it's only painful walking up stairs and then it's mild.

@RichardBarkley I have that, like it felt off kilter and that I'd need to bend my leg to click it. For me it can be fixed with PT. Did you get any imaging?

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2125 on: March 23, 2021, 01:44:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@RichardBarkley I have that, like it felt off kilter and that I'd need to bend my leg to click it. For me it can be fixed with PT. Did you get any imaging?

that sounds like meniscus trouble.  KoRnholio8 it might be that too.
Unfortunately I've had way too much experience with that type of injury. When it's really acute, you can't straighten your leg fully and it needs surgery (I think I've had 4!)

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #2126 on: March 23, 2021, 02:57:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Unfortunately I've had way too much experience with that type of injury. When it's really acute, you can't straighten your leg fully and it needs surgery (I think I've had 4!)

ugh, you got me scared good now, ha. I did some online research and it seems that if a tear occurred it is minor, I've had no swelling or locking up at all. I'll guess I need to limit myself to walking and cycling for a few weeks to see if the discomfort will subdue completely and then see the doctor if it won't

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2127 on: March 23, 2021, 05:51:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

ugh, you got me scared good now, ha. I did some online research and it seems that if a tear occurred it is minor, I've had no swelling or locking up at all. I'll guess I need to limit myself to walking and cycling for a few weeks to see if the discomfort will subdue completely and then see the doctor if it won't

sorry my man, but don't be too scared! it can go away on its own. And the worst case scenario is a very minor surgery. Usually you can walk like a week later. If you do go see a doc, see a specialist though. That type of injury does not appear on XRays and general practitioners usually have no clue about that type of stuff.

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 554
« Reply #2128 on: March 23, 2021, 07:06:42 AM »
When i was 18-19 i fucked up my wrists all the time, and began learning to never try to brace myself with my arms when i fell. Pretty soon i never did, and would always go straight to my hips/butt and roll onto my back.

That went great for 15 years but now i'm starting to pay the price - my pelvis/hip ecosystem is fucking wrecked. Now that i only skate low-impact shit and parks, time to go back to wrist-bracing? Not even sure if I could relearn it, it's so second-nature now to just go to the ground, even for the tiniest slo-mo slams

To give an example of pelvis hell, after a skate session last week i found i had to use my arm to move my leg from the gas pedal to the brake and back again while driving. Not ideal
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 08:00:50 AM by exlurker »

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #2129 on: March 23, 2021, 09:37:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

sorry my man, but don't be too scared! it can go away on its own. And the worst case scenario is a very minor surgery. Usually you can walk like a week later. If you do go see a doc, see a specialist though. That type of injury does not appear on XRays and general practitioners usually have no clue about that type of stuff.

good on you for sharing your experience - I've never had to deal with any serious injuries, since I skate very meekly. So it is nice to know what to be on the look-out for, but it is also pretty scary to read online on how some people never really fixed their problems etc. Anyways, it will be a while before I know for sure what is going on