Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 303776 times)

dofrenzy

Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2190 on: June 04, 2021, 04:01:48 PM »
Radness!
Your ramp looks fantastic.

Thank you franc!  I don’t know why the link sends you to Instagram.  Usually it plays once in the browser. 

Yeah, my ramp is awesome and I am lucky to have it!

EDIT -yikes, my reply about the ramp is a little stuck-up sounding.  Thank you for the compliment, I am super proud of my ramp, it was a lot of work, and I spent extra time to give it a special look (e.g. - the 2 plywood layers are painted black on the edges).  I truly appreciate the recognition.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 07:36:36 PM by dofrenzy »

dofrenzy

« Reply #2191 on: June 04, 2021, 04:03:59 PM »

I feel kinda old. Too old to clean it up get a proper angle. This took like 5 trys and I had to do a wallie the go around and immediately try one of these. The next try after I was like ok I accomplished the goal.

Damn Uncle Flea, I had to watch multiple times that 180 happens so fast I could barely see it.  Awesome

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 970
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2192 on: June 05, 2021, 02:19:33 PM »
Expand Quote

I feel kinda old. Too old to clean it up get a proper angle. This took like 5 trys and I had to do a wallie the go around and immediately try one of these. The next try after I was like ok I accomplished the goal.
[close]

Damn Uncle Flea, I had to watch multiple times that 180 happens so fast I could barely see it.  Awesome

Thank you. I been doing like nothing but pole jams lately.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2193 on: June 05, 2021, 03:19:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thank you. I been doing like nothing but pole jams lately.

that was sick. i need to learn pole jams one of these day.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2194 on: June 07, 2021, 07:23:04 PM »
Another solo session for this old dude... not sure where all the 40 something dudes are... (I know I know the bowl....)

Forgot my selfie kook stand and lens this time....

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2195 on: June 07, 2021, 07:49:25 PM »
Another solo session for this old dude... not sure where all the 40 something dudes are... (I know I know the bowl....)

Forgot my selfie kook stand and lens this time....

Yeah!

Always worth the struggle when you finally get it down.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #2196 on: June 10, 2021, 04:41:57 PM »
Had hoped to get up into the flat wall, but not easy to skate. Such an epic spot though.

My good friend and his boys.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #2197 on: June 16, 2021, 06:41:56 AM »
Howdy :)

Just checkin in. I guess I belong here now.

37 years on this old bag o' bones

i like they way you hold all your grinds. most of the time i'd rather do an easy trick for the whole box than a harder one and just tap, especially if i'm going to film it.

dofrenzy

« Reply #2198 on: July 10, 2021, 11:25:05 AM »
Legit old dude post incoming.

2 weeks in hospital after a bowel resection, lucky and grateful to not have a colostomy bag. (Damn, jumped right into the heavy old dude shit).  Lemme tell you, after a bowel resection literally every fart is a crapshoot.

So I am closed for repairs and it will be many months before I get on a board again.  I barely made it past my 2 year skating anniversary but I have a ramp in my yard and a bunch of boards waiting to grip and rip, so I have full intentions of getting some more but will be concentrating on healing, family, and maybe play some guitar.  I have, fingers crossed, a couple of days left in the hospital, and my first real food in over 2 weeks is tonight (turkey and rice).  I almost cried when I got to order scrambled eggs for the morning.

I feel like I have homies here like I have never had before so want to say thank you for accepting me into this group with minimum vibe (I have picked up some groovy lingo here too for sure).

And to all the Slap palS old or not, shalom.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2199 on: July 10, 2021, 05:00:33 PM »

2 weeks in hospital after a bowel resection, lucky and grateful to not have a colostomy bag. (Damn, jumped right into the heavy old dude shit).  Lemme tell you, after a bowel resection literally every fart is a crapshoot.

So I am closed for repairs and it will be many months before I get on a board again.  I barely made it past my 2 year skating anniversary but I have a ramp in my yard and a bunch of boards waiting to grip and rip, so I have full intentions of getting some more but will be concentrating on healing, family, and maybe play some guitar.  I have, fingers crossed, a couple of days left in the hospital, and my first real food in over 2 weeks is tonight (turkey and rice).  I almost cried when I got to order scrambled eggs for the morning.

I feel like I have homies here like I have never had before so want to say thank you for accepting me into this group with minimum vibe (I have picked up some groovy lingo here too for sure).

Heal up as well as you can, broheim! Skating isn't going anywhere. You got this!!!
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #2200 on: July 11, 2021, 07:28:27 AM »

Damn man, that sucks. I was diagnosed last year around this time with ulcerative colitis (Ashkenazi Jews and our intestines). I remember the weeks when I couldn’t eat anything except white rice and toast. It was miserable, depressing, and depleting. Before I got into the doctor, my girlfriend assumed I had cancer and was dying. Fortunately I was able to get it under control for now with diet and medication (steroids rule, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise), but it was rough, and I assume it’s only a matter of time until I’m in for the same surgery.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

jaydella

« Reply #2201 on: July 11, 2021, 08:53:31 AM »
I'm 40. Does anyone else do any weightlifting or even cross training? I was weightlifting for a couple of years and it helped my skating a lot. I haven't been able to lift for the past few months due to Covid lockdowns (no dine-in, no theaters, no gyms, no playgrounds, no skateparks, etc.). As a result, I lost a lot of size, weight, and most importantly strength, which sucks. Skating definitely got harder. I feel heavier and get tired faster, and I never had a jumpers knee problem but I do now, so I started stretching and doing some body squats and this yoga pose that's supposed to help with knee strength that I saw in a YouTube video.

Weight training and stretching are the secret ingredients for sure.

dofrenzy

« Reply #2202 on: July 11, 2021, 12:11:33 PM »
Heal up as well as you can, broheim! Skating isn't going anywhere. You got this!!!

I appreciate the support Brother!

dofrenzy

« Reply #2203 on: July 11, 2021, 12:14:37 PM »
Damn man, that sucks. I was diagnosed last year around this time with ulcerative colitis (Ashkenazi Jews and our intestines). I remember the weeks when I couldn’t eat anything except white rice and toast. It was miserable, depressing, and depleting. Before I got into the doctor, my girlfriend assumed I had cancer and was dying. Fortunately I was able to get it under control for now with diet and medication (steroids rule, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise), but it was rough, and I assume it’s only a matter of time until I’m in for the same surgery.

I hear you man….the weeks before I came for help I was sitting at the table with rice and the fam was eating pizza.  Ouch.

Your situation seems really tough from what I’ve read about it.  I hope you find long-lasting relief.  Peace.

dofrenzy

« Reply #2204 on: July 11, 2021, 12:22:31 PM »
I'm 40. Does anyone else do any weightlifting or even cross training? I was weightlifting for a couple of years and it helped my skating a lot. I haven't been able to lift for the past few months due to Covid lockdowns (no dine-in, no theaters, no gyms, no playgrounds, no skateparks, etc.). As a result, I lost a lot of size, weight, and most importantly strength, which sucks. Skating definitely got harder. I feel heavier and get tired faster, and I never had a jumpers knee problem but I do now, so I started stretching and doing some body squats and this yoga pose that's supposed to help with knee strength that I saw in a YouTube video.

Weight training and stretching are the secret ingredients for sure.

My wife entered an “all natural” bodybuilding contest as a challenge to herself in 2015.  She had to take a lie detector test just before the contest to confirm “all natural”.  She got me into exercising at the same time.  I ended up being mostly a runner back then but the truth is that strength training helped me get my best running times ever….not that I was going for numbers but I do keep track of stats and there is no denying strength training was a HUGE boost.

We both noticed at the time that just going up stairs was a very different experience with some muscle.

Truth is I didn’t even do a lot of weights to see big benefits.  Like 20 minutes per day focused on a couple muscle groups each day….5 days on 2 days off….triceps and biceps one day, abs and back the next, etc.  I believe Neen Williams agrees.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2205 on: July 12, 2021, 01:18:17 PM »
I try to 'train' 2x a week. Got some bands, a bosu balls, and one of theose larger exerise balls.

Definetely helps - hels my hips too - they get tight.

Main issue for me is time - dont have enough. Dont like to 'train' on skate days, as I wanna 'save' my energy.
And some non skate days - Im beat - Between work and kids can be tough.

Ive started skipping rope - pretty effective and time efficient. Order a weighted rope - shits tuff - Muay Thai type of skippin rope - worth it.

Id love to try Neen's program, I just need to make the time - figure out my priorities.

But yea, simple squats, lunges and all that type of stuff make a hell of a difference. Instagram actually has tons of physio streches and other exercise I use.

biaherl

• Rep: 264
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #2206 on: July 12, 2021, 01:50:13 PM »
Hope everyone is feeling and getting better

I only get one maybe 2 days a week to skate on the days I'm not I spend one hour a day in the home gym. Mostly power lifting bodybuilding style but I have a bunch of stuff for hiit training too.

My work has a gym so I'm in there 5 times a week too. Right now my goal is to run a 10 minute mile on the treadmill. I can do 12 minutes (5 MPH) on my worst days so I'm getting there.

In 4 months I'll be 47 and my goal is to do 47 push ups and 47 slappies. The slappy part won't be an issue

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2207 on: July 12, 2021, 03:59:30 PM »
Been skateboarding a lot the last few weeks. 46 has been good so far but I'm skateboarding solo most of the time now. Cannot drag anyone else out these days. Its great to chat to new people at the park and spot but it would be nice to have a fucking session with some friends... (out due to injuries, other interests, families...)

Other than that trying to chill on the booze and junk food and cycle, surf and stretch to keep the dream alive.

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #2208 on: July 13, 2021, 04:54:16 AM »
Been skateboarding a lot the last few weeks. 46 has been good so far but I'm skateboarding solo most of the time now. Cannot drag anyone else out these days. Its great to chat to new people at the park and spot but it would be nice to have a fucking session with some friends... (out due to injuries, other interests, families...)

Other than that trying to chill on the booze and junk food and cycle, surf and stretch to keep the dream alive.
Holy fuck man, same with me. Tired of skating solo. Actually about to go skate some curbs solo right now, at 0755 AM

pterra

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2209 on: July 13, 2021, 12:43:32 PM »

Everybody featured in this video save for a few friends' section dudes is 33 and up! Hope we can keep making videos for many more years!

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
« Reply #2210 on: July 13, 2021, 01:11:02 PM »
I try to 'train' 2x a week. Got some bands, a bosu balls, and one of theose larger exerise balls.

Definetely helps - hels my hips too - they get tight.

Main issue for me is time - dont have enough. Dont like to 'train' on skate days, as I wanna 'save' my energy.
And some non skate days - Im beat - Between work and kids can be tough.

Ive started skipping rope - pretty effective and time efficient. Order a weighted rope - shits tuff - Muay Thai type of skippin rope - worth it.

Id love to try Neen's program, I just need to make the time - figure out my priorities.

But yea, simple squats, lunges and all that type of stuff make a hell of a difference. Instagram actually has tons of physio streches and other exercise I use.

you ever try just doing exercises for short periods of time every day? When I was in PT for ligament tears in R ankle, the PT gave me a few pages of exercises - lunges, squats, band exercises, heel lifts/dips. It took a while to get them on lock, but now I can do all of the non-band exercises with control, in about 10-15 minutes. Band exercises take 10-15 minutes and I can do them while food is cooking, watching a movie, etc. I'm literally doing squats and heel raises most places that I'm required to stand... I'm not getting ripped in the legs, but my strength is greater, overall pain is less, stamina is higher when walking/hiking/running/skating, and I've actually got some visible calves for the first time in my 36 yrs.

Not trying to tell you how to do your thing, but I'm really finding that I benefit more from shorter but regular periods of exercises than from longer, more intense but spread out sessions. It might be because I'm actually doing them. I don't know. I'm also far less gassed from doing them.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2211 on: July 14, 2021, 05:06:11 AM »
That makes allot of sense. I should really try to do em more frequently - youre correct that they dont take tooo long, just gotta get down and do the work. Im gonna grt them done today. You got me fired up!!

Tks

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2212 on: July 14, 2021, 01:35:08 PM »

Another solo session. Completely empty park...

JREG

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2213 on: July 15, 2021, 12:31:59 AM »
40. Got back into skating after 20 years. Tried to set my board up like it's my 1994 board. Been at for a week and can do basics like kick/heelflips/treflips, etc.. Kind of sketch though at balance. Just crazy how muscle memory works. Only took me 30 min to land my first kickflip in two decades.

8" blank
Thunders (guess there is no T4 anymore)
42mm wheels. Haha

Gotta watch Virtual Reality again

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 11:00:38 AM by JREG »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2214 on: July 15, 2021, 07:36:47 AM »
You being facetious or are you terminally ill?

Either way, welcome back. Don't stop this time.

dofrenzy

« Reply #2215 on: July 15, 2021, 08:07:02 AM »
@JREG Welcome!  I hope skating adds longevity.

@Frank and Fred….sweet pics man, really inspirational.  My long term goal is to get air ANY way I can, then I’ll get my first tattoo….that grab is sick I want some.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2216 on: July 15, 2021, 08:45:11 AM »
Thanks. Airs come and go for me. Some parks and transitions just call for it though. I started the day with a bunch of stinkbugs before I relearned how to tuck my knee.

JREG

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2217 on: July 15, 2021, 11:02:22 AM »
You being facetious or are you terminally ill?

Either way, welcome back. Don't stop this time.
Sorry, that came across wrong. Just meant I'm sketchy on a board and don't bounce back like I used to. Taking some time to get used to it again. My shins are definitely not used to it.

rockydennishead

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2218 on: July 19, 2021, 09:28:13 AM »

Set up: Gonz Sweatpants 9.81
           OHJ II Team Rider Speedwheels 61 mm 97a
            Bones red's
            Ace 66
            Mob grip

Preferred terrain: Transition, Flatground, Curbs

Favourite skaters: Cardiel, &&, Huf, Reese Forbes

Music: QOTSA, Kyuss, Zepplin, 90's era Hiphop

Married: Divorced

Kids: 2 of them

Job: Retired US Navy (22 years)

Long time lurker, glad I found this thread!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2219 on: July 24, 2021, 11:33:03 AM »

Excuse the Slow-mo Screen grab... Local DIY.