Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304128 times)

OldieButFrenchie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2430 on: October 25, 2021, 12:10:00 AM »
Expand Quote
I gotta say, it makes me a little bummed to see people say "who have friends to film after 40?" and such. Maybe things are just different here, or maybe it's just me, but I'm 41 and I'm always meeting people through skating and hooking up to skate, film clips, get beers, etc. People in their 20s through dudes approaching 50, they'll all chill and they all want some homies to skate with.
[close]
Yah I’m 45 and thats one thing thats rad about skating and being at a park is we are all skaters, no matter age, race, sex, or whatever. If you are on a skateboard, you’re cool to me until you show me different.

true and I love talking to people, anyone, at the park/spot....but at the same time it gets hard for me relating to guys under 25 or so....I mean, I'll talk to them and chat, whatever, but I'm not going to hang around after the sesh to drink a few beers or something. At 47 I'd feel weird doing that. Like if I was a 17 year old hanging out with 12 year olds I guess? Plus I don't have the time anyway. 2 kids and a job mean I go skate when I can and I usually have 2 or 3 hours of free time at the most.

Also I tend to skate in the morning so I guess that limits my meeting other skaters. I just don't like crowds in a skatepark. Especially in public parks where it's a mix of scooters/skaters/bmx/anything really.

drcroc

« Reply #2431 on: October 25, 2021, 03:01:46 PM »
Expand Quote
MBrimson88: I’m super jealous of the micro mini. I’d love to have a ramp like that that I could just manhandle. Most everything around me is big or tight or somehow hard to skate.
[close]
this!
As to whether or not we wear pads/ helmets etc. who gives a fuck at this age? If you’re out there getting your stoke on then I’m not gunna judge!

I thought about this recently... I might start wearing a helmet. Because I always skate alone, but I know taking an accidental bump to the head at 34 years old might wreck me. Even though I only skate flat and not even trying anything crazy. At this point it's like who cares, the helmet might even give me extra confidence to try stuff I normally would be hesitant on.

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #2432 on: October 25, 2021, 04:51:58 PM »
I started mandatory helmet as soon as my wife was pregnant. If my kid wanted to skate, of course I’d want them to wear one, and I wanted to avoid any hypocrisy (“but Dad doesn’t wear one!”, etc). You get used to it pretty quickly. I got a little ribbing for a bit, but a) growing up a punker/skater/weirdo in upstate NY, I got used to not giving much of a shit what people think, and b) after a bit, people are just used to it. Besides, I’m 47 and still rolling; that counts, pads or not.

My old man addition to this thread: anybody else have big gnarly varicose veins? I work on my feet, and am grossed out by them. Pretty much only on my leading leg thigh. Just me, or can anybody relate?
SPB!

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1063
« Reply #2433 on: October 25, 2021, 05:35:25 PM »
I started mandatory helmet as soon as my wife was pregnant. If my kid wanted to skate, of course I’d want them to wear one, and I wanted to avoid any hypocrisy (“but Dad doesn’t wear one!”, etc). You get used to it pretty quickly. I got a little ribbing for a bit, but a) growing up a punker/skater/weirdo in upstate NY, I got used to not giving much of a shit what people think, and b) after a bit, people are just used to it. Besides, I’m 47 and still rolling; that counts, pads or not.

My old man addition to this thread: anybody else have big gnarly varicose veins? I work on my feet, and am grossed out by them. Pretty much only on my leading leg thigh. Just me, or can anybody relate?

I broke my left leg twice and I have one ugly vein on my leg. I wear long socks with shorts but my left leg looks like I’m 60. My foot has bad circulation as well. Thought about getting my vein stripped but I’m wanting to loose weight first to see if that helps. Oh well. The joys of skate aging…

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2434 on: October 25, 2021, 07:07:37 PM »
I gotta say, it makes me a little bummed to see people say "who have friends to film after 40?" and such. Maybe things are just different here, or maybe it's just me, but I'm 41 and I'm always meeting people through skating and hooking up to skate, film clips, get beers, etc. People in their 20s through dudes approaching 50, they'll all chill and they all want some homies to skate with.

I'm super greedy with skating and see the ability to connect to other types of people as a good thing.  Lots of older though only see skating as a way to connect with the past....this invetiably fails.....

I've mentioned this before but I'd way rather try and learn a trick with a teenager or ask a 20 something about social media, give a 30 something my two cents on adulthood than just listen to another middle aged man complain.....

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2435 on: October 25, 2021, 07:28:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm super greedy with skating and see the ability to connect to other types of people as a good thing.  Lots of older though only see skating as a way to connect with the past....this invetiably fails.....

I've mentioned this before but I'd way rather try and learn a trick with a teenager or ask a 20 something about social media, give a 30 something my two cents on adulthood than just listen to another middle aged man complain.....

Well said. 
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2436 on: October 26, 2021, 01:23:23 PM »

I have an old blood clot filter that was left in me when it shouldn't have been so my legs and veins below my knee are kind of a disaster. I have a consult with a surgeon this coming Friday so it should be coming out soon. I say this because my varicose veins are next level. I wear compression stockings pretty regularly and that has helped. My nurse friend who also works on her feet all day swears by them. Maybe try wearing them during your shifts? 15-20mmHg is decent amount of compression, just for a frame of reference.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2437 on: November 01, 2021, 01:04:42 PM »
last few times I was out skating I connected with some kids in their earlier 20s (I think) and had a whole lot of fun. They've all been really nice, friendly kids from SoCal. There's some differences I'm noticing and I don't know if it's because I grew up in the north east or because I'm of a different generation.

I'm always jumping around and eating shit, yelling FUCK SHIT FUCK FUCKIN PIECE OF SHIT MOTHERFUCKER and I never hear that. In fact, when I was leaving, this young homie that rolled up solo and was putting down the whole time I was eating turd burgers on a post rain sticky curb, he said a really quiet "take care" when I rolled by with a fist bump and a "later dawg." I'm just bantering away about how I'm "skating like a pussy" and young homie's eyes raised and he said "you just need to use some wax!" as if I were truly upset. it was really a beautiful thing.

Also, is it a thing for people to not really learn any flip tricks and just skate curbs/park transition in Southern California?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 01:31:49 PM by IusedToSkateMore »
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2438 on: November 01, 2021, 04:38:11 PM »
I didn't start when my wife was pregnant, but I hard a gnarly seizure when my first born was young and have worn a helmet since; the only day I didn't I smacked my eyebrow on a curb and cut it open and my son was like, "see dad, that's why you should always wear a helmet". I agree, you get used to it quickly and I'm hardly trying to impress anyone at 43!!!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2439 on: November 01, 2021, 05:38:13 PM »
last few times I was out skating I connected with some kids in their earlier 20s (I think) and had a whole lot of fun. They've all been really nice, friendly kids from SoCal. There's some differences I'm noticing and I don't know if it's because I grew up in the north east or because I'm of a different generation.

I'm always jumping around and eating shit, yelling FUCK SHIT FUCK FUCKIN PIECE OF SHIT MOTHERFUCKER and I never hear that. In fact, when I was leaving, this young homie that rolled up solo and was putting down the whole time I was eating turd burgers on a post rain sticky curb, he said a really quiet "take care" when I rolled by with a fist bump and a "later dawg." I'm just bantering away about how I'm "skating like a pussy" and young homie's eyes raised and he said "you just need to use some wax!" as if I were truly upset. it was really a beautiful thing.

Also, is it a thing for people to not really learn any flip tricks and just skate curbs/park transition in Southern California?

I visualized that whole scene in my head.  ;D

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2440 on: November 26, 2021, 04:19:47 PM »
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 04:58:45 PM by Frank and Fred »

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #2441 on: November 27, 2021, 12:32:47 AM »
40 tricks I learnt during my 40th year on this planet.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #2442 on: November 27, 2021, 01:21:51 AM »
^ So sick! Happy 40!

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #2443 on: November 27, 2021, 08:06:39 AM »
Some clips from the past few months, was gonna be a part for my 48th but said screw it.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2444 on: November 27, 2021, 08:43:51 AM »
Some clips from the past few months, was gonna be a part for my 48th but said screw it.

That was fantastic. Also, my curb and parking garage envy is strong.

Next time put some Slayer on, these moves deserves something a bit more dynamic imho.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1063
« Reply #2445 on: November 27, 2021, 10:17:38 AM »
@franc and @144p

Wonderful stuff. Too bad you guys can’t skate together. Your trick selection would compliment one another very well.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2446 on: November 27, 2021, 11:19:45 AM »
@franc happy birthday - that was so sick
@144p nice! thats such a beautiful Violent Femmes song and I've always wanted to see someone skate to it <3

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2447 on: November 27, 2021, 12:15:09 PM »
@franc happy birthday - that was so sick
@144p nice! thats such a beautiful Violent Femmes song and I've always wanted to see someone skate to it <3
Thank you, dedicated to my dog I lost last year.

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #2448 on: November 27, 2021, 01:39:53 PM »
Thank you guys!

Loved your vid 144p, very inspiring.

Fhk

« Reply #2449 on: November 27, 2021, 01:53:45 PM »

Wow cmon dude cut it out. Skating and song are perfect

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2450 on: November 28, 2021, 11:15:13 AM »
Damn. @144p and @fran coming through with the inspo.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #2451 on: November 28, 2021, 06:21:21 PM »

Hell yeah, this makes me wanna go skate. 

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2452 on: November 28, 2021, 07:28:05 PM »
Thank you so much, this is the highest compliment imaginable. I struggled with filming anything I did for a long while until a regular came into my shop and told me how much he loved seeing my clips and it gave him hope that he could keep skating as he got older.
And part of me likes having something to look back on someday when my body can’t handle it anymore.

ilovegay

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2453 on: November 28, 2021, 09:11:31 PM »
@franc and @144p

Wonderful stuff. Too bad you guys can’t skate together. Your trick selection would compliment one another very well.

Both of those parts were awesome, and made me want to skate. That is more than I can say about most new parts. I’m 34 and pretty much only skate curbs, flat, manny pads, and mellow transition. It is great to see that I can continue to do that for years to come. Thanks for the inspiration.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #2454 on: November 28, 2021, 09:34:54 PM »
@144p I thoroughly enjoyed those clips

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #2455 on: November 29, 2021, 01:40:10 AM »
Thank you for the inspiration @franc and @144p. May you be well and keep shredding for many more years to come. I turned 38 this october and seeing older guys sk8ing so good is what motivates me a lot to keep pushing and learning new tricks. Greetings!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2456 on: November 30, 2021, 05:36:46 PM »

And part of me likes having something to look back on someday when my body can’t handle it anymore.

Yes, this is what often made me dig up old videos and try to compile a bit more footage of us skating when we were younger (both my own skating and the people I used to skate with, most of whom are no longer able to do much at all, if they still even skate).

Fun looking at some of the old stuff and thinking how easy it seemed, compared to how unwilling I am to throw myself at anything nowdays.

That was a good watch too. 

Stoked about seeing so many little combos and fun variations in there.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #2457 on: November 30, 2021, 08:41:02 PM »
I was skating my little curb spot for about 30 minutes before work today at the park by the lake. An older lady, probably in her mid 70s, was walking by and says "you have some talent to do that". I don't. So I said "I'm just trying to get whatever I can...I'm old".  She says "you're  not old...I have trouble just balancing when I walk".  I'm turning 49 in December.  Made me realize it is a gift to keep skating at any level as you age. 'Til the proverbial wheels fall off fellow skate brethren.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #2458 on: November 30, 2021, 11:35:01 PM »
Expand Quote
@franc and @144p

[close]

Both of those parts were awesome, and made me want to skate. That is more than I can say about most new parts. I’m 34 and pretty much only skate curbs, flat, manny pads, and mellow transition. It is great to see that I can continue to do that for years to come. Thanks for the inspiration.

so it's been said before but.....damn you two guys are killing it.

I haven't skated in two weeks I think. December weather is pretty rough right now, I need to go skate indoors somewhere!

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #2459 on: December 01, 2021, 05:12:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hell yeah, this makes me wanna go skate.

Hell yeah, loved it, you crushed. That’s was very inspiring, and reminded me, my 47 for 47 is due in a month, looks like I better get to it!!
So good...