Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301678 times)

Fhk

Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2460 on: December 01, 2021, 05:58:27 AM »

Cheers to all you guys in your 40s and up still hitting the ground. Gotta love it.

sbmfj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2461 on: December 01, 2021, 05:22:41 PM »
Awesomness from Dave and Francois. Man I really wanna learn those fs 180 faki mannies, messed around with em abit this summer, gootta give it another go this winter if I can.

Really loved both edits, Id love to skate with you guys, would be a blast I bet..

I gotta edit my stuff from this summer and will post up. Dont have 44 tricks tho...

dofrenzy

« Reply #2462 on: December 02, 2021, 05:03:04 AM »

Cheers to all you guys in your 40s and up still hitting the ground. Gotta love it.

Sometimes I’ve wondered if I could be considered a “skater” based on what tricks I can do without falling, but now that I’ve got some experience I know that falling is actually an integral part of being a “skater”.  In fact, some of my slams have been so gnarly I might be considered an “excellent” skater….LOL

nevrwasben

« Reply #2463 on: December 02, 2021, 09:58:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sometimes I’ve wondered if I could be considered a “skater” based on what tricks I can do without falling, but now that I’ve got some experience I know that falling is actually an integral part of being a “skater”.  In fact, some of my slams have been so gnarly I might be considered an “excellent” skater….LOL

Sometimes rather than say I’m going/went skating, I’ll just say that I’m going to throw myself at the ground…

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #2464 on: December 02, 2021, 10:09:48 AM »
41 and I rolled my ankle doing a heelflip a few weeks ago and it’s still awful. This was my good ankle, too. I can barely even ollie right now. Also think I chipped a bit of bone in my elbow when my wheel lodged into a crack in the street and sent me flying into the pavement.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2465 on: December 02, 2021, 05:44:55 PM »
Sometimes my best days are not what I actually landed, but the fact that I didn't have any injuries and can still walk to the car without limping at the end of the session.

Almost always now, something somewhere is sore or hard to move or whatever, but I do what I can and enjoy it, even if it is a mellow cruise for me, more so than a heated session the way some others I skate with are going at it.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #2466 on: December 02, 2021, 09:34:18 PM »
I can’t stress enough to my fellow aging skaters to
1. Get on some kind of regimen with strengthening your body either with resistance bands or free weights. Life changing for me, I manage to skate 5 days a week.

2. Stay hydrated, I use hydration/salt additives to keep me going, helps my muscles not cramp during or after a long session.

3.chill on the fried food/fatty fast food. Try to eliminate the foods that cause inflammation, helps so much.

I know it sounds difficult but man what a change in my life, feel so much better and sleep better too.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #2467 on: December 03, 2021, 03:49:32 AM »
1. Get on some kind of regimen with strengthening your body either with resistance bands or free weights. Life changing for me, I manage to skate 5 days a week.

2. Stay hydrated, I use hydration/salt additives to keep me going, helps my muscles not cramp during or after a long session.

3.chill on the fried food/fatty fast food. Try to eliminate the foods that cause inflammation, helps so much.

I know it sounds difficult but man what a change in my life, feel so much better and sleep better too.
SUCH good info. Stretching before and after helps me a ton too. I eat a bannana before I skate and drink water while skating. I tried Pedalyte but it was ass. I’m almost 46 so the days of waking up 2pm still drunk from partying till 0600 and skating all day on pizza and soda are long gone.

Doodily

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2468 on: December 03, 2021, 05:28:40 AM »
... the days of waking up 2pm still drunk from partying till 0600 and skating all day on pizza and soda are long gone.

Just reading this gave me a hangover.  I regularly have to choose between having 2-3 beers at night or going to skate the next day. I no longer can do both. That's right, just 2-3 beers and I feel run down the next morning.

As a bunch of 40yo skaters, I say ...
Quote from: Bowling for Soup
Getting old sucks, But we're doing it right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4e_IZFwTfM

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #2469 on: December 03, 2021, 11:12:58 AM »
Some clips from the past few months, was gonna be a part for my 48th but said screw it.
https://youtu.be/cq5D6PRbcig

So good, dude.  Front shuv up the curb/wallie/fs slappy was a hell of a line. Pretty much everything in that part deserves a *chef's kiss*.

I'm trying to get slappy nose slides to crooks just now so I think I know what to do to make 'em work now, thanks man!

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #2470 on: December 03, 2021, 11:17:39 AM »
40 tricks I learnt during my 40th year on this planet.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWiycSDsoq0/

In my head, this is how I'd skate if I hadn't put so much time and effort into snowboarding during my 20s and 30s.  BS 180 fakie manny is my nemesis right now... as is any manny combo really.  Another banger from the old codger crew!

sbmfj

« Reply #2471 on: December 03, 2021, 12:04:33 PM »

Care to share your daily exercise?

nekro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #2472 on: December 03, 2021, 12:24:15 PM »
After a 24 year break I got back into skating and had about 5 sessions before breaking my elbow, rib and straining my collarbone. I've got a radial head fracture from slamming my elbow into the concrete mini ramp after slipping out of an axle stall  :-[

I was only wearing wristguards at the time and didn't ease into things slowly enough as I could feel my tricks coming back. I'm a little concerned now I'll be too cautious when I get back into it.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #2473 on: December 03, 2021, 03:46:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My whole stretchering/strengthening routine is around 35 min and kind of deep. would be a lot to type.
I'll do my best this weekend when I have a bit more time.

sbmfj

« Reply #2474 on: December 04, 2021, 05:36:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
My whole stretchering/strengthening routine is around 35 min and kind of deep. would be a lot to type.
I'll do my best this weekend when I have a bit more time.

Hard to type out indeed. Dont worry about it, thanks!!

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2475 on: December 04, 2021, 05:37:16 PM »

Relearning an oldie. You may recognize this spot if you are a Dane Brady fan.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #2476 on: December 04, 2021, 06:29:18 PM »
144p, franc, and Frank and Fred all killing it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Buddy Lembeck

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2477 on: December 04, 2021, 09:59:21 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGOQK_5Gks&t=182s

I made a little edit of my "Group Chat" footy with the Hemmies & his kids too. Were all late 30's and early 40's
I threw in some hard hitting Songs LoL

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #2478 on: December 05, 2021, 12:24:26 AM »
I struggled with filming anything I did for a long while until a regular came into my shop and told me how much he loved seeing my clips and it gave him hope that he could keep skating as he got older.
And part of me likes having something to look back on someday when my body can’t handle it anymore.
Same here! I never posted anything until about 2 years ago, thinking posting skate clips of me was as weird (stupid) as posting a selfie...

Expand Quote
@franc and @144p

Wonderful stuff. Too bad you guys can’t skate together. Your trick selection would compliment one another very well.
[close]
Both of those parts were awesome, and made me want to skate. That is more than I can say about most new parts. I’m 34 and pretty much only skate curbs, flat, manny pads, and mellow transition. It is great to see that I can continue to do that for years to come. Thanks for the inspiration.

Thank you for the inspiration @franc and @144p. May you be well and keep shredding for many more years to come. I turned 38 this october and seeing older guys sk8ing so good is what motivates me a lot to keep pushing and learning new tricks. Greetings!
144p, franc, and Frank and Fred all killing it. Thanks for the inspiration.
Thank you so much!

Man I really wanna learn those fs 180 faki mannies
These are pretty awesome and feel really good but they're not easy. It's not one of those tricks that do themselves like a half cab noseslide where you've basically already done it the nanosecond you pop your half cab. You really have to go for it. Try to rotate the 180 perfectly, you won't, you are going to do like a 160-170 degree ollie and you'll pivot your way into the fakie manual. Still gotta aim for the perfect 180 so you can keep your balance. Have your front foot in heelflip position for the ollie too, that did help me, even if it sounds weird at first. Hopefully this will help.

BS 180 fakie manny is my nemesis right now... as is any manny combo really.  Another banger from the old codger crew!
Thanks! Go for it, back 180 fakie wheelies are one of the best feeling tricks in my opinion!

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2479 on: December 07, 2021, 08:28:59 PM »
I turn 49 this month.

It hit me that at the rate I wear out gear - and knowing that will slow as I get into my late 50s, I have enough decks, trucks and wheels in my garage to last me until death.

And  yet I still spend most of my time in SLAP in the gear threads.

MxsDx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #2480 on: December 14, 2021, 08:53:59 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGOQK_5Gks&t=182s

I made a little edit of my "Group Chat" footy with the Hemmies & his kids too. Were all late 30's and early 40's
I threw in some hard hitting Songs LoL

Fantastic edit. Slash ripping at the Daggers’ ramp arson and the Van Damme dance mix was incredible to name two personal high points. Good skating too, of course.

dofrenzy

« Reply #2481 on: December 17, 2021, 01:04:45 PM »
What up homies!  Just a little “progress” video here.  Thanks to all the Slappers that have provided tip and tricks to getting this line together.  A little over 15 months ago, I had a list of beginner tricks on repeat (on a smaller ramp) but blew my knees out big time dropping into a 7’ concrete quarter-pipe.  The bs rock-n-roll was the last trick I needed to get back.  I don’t quite have it but am stoked to now be throwing it into my very short line. 

These are basically all my tricks, not including bs slash, and bs + fs kick turns (I count EVERYTHING as a trick, even dropping in!)

https://youtu.be/7-8wCadTlIc

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #2482 on: December 17, 2021, 01:09:37 PM »
What up homies!  Just a little “progress” video here.  Thanks to all the Slappers that have provided tip and tricks to getting this line together.  A little over 15 months ago, I had a list of beginner tricks on repeat (on a smaller ramp) but blew my knees out big time dropping into a 7’ concrete quarter-pipe.  The bs rock-n-roll was the last trick I needed to get back.  I don’t quite have it but am stoked to now be throwing it into my very short line. 

These are basically all my tricks, not including bs slash, and bs + fs kick turns (I count EVERYTHING as a trick, even dropping in!)

https://youtu.be/7-8wCadTlIc

Very smooth, I am impressed by your progress!
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

dofrenzy

« Reply #2483 on: December 17, 2021, 01:45:41 PM »

Very smooth, I am impressed by your progress!

Thanks….No job for 2.5 years and a mini in the yard for the past 8 months has been a big help!

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2484 on: December 17, 2021, 07:15:55 PM »
@dofrenzy

nice line, man!

ever try pivoting out of those tail stalls? I can't do it, but they look cool as heck!
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2485 on: December 17, 2021, 08:00:37 PM »
@dofrenzy you’re progressing major!! those tail stalls are proper. stoked for you!!

dofrenzy

« Reply #2486 on: December 18, 2021, 07:05:31 AM »
@IusedToSkateMore Hey man, I appreciate the support!  I like how you ask if if I can do a variation on coming back in from the tail stall when all my tricks are still a bit terrifying for me!  Especially tail stall, which gave me a slam that made my wife ask, “Shouldn’t you replace your helmet after slamming it like that?”

I think thought I know what you mean about the pivot but I just looked it up at skateboardhere.com ( a great resource btw).  Can you explain?  Is it like pivoting so one back wheel goes above the coping then come back in fakie?

@life is a hell ride Thanks dude!  I am actually really good at doing things over, and over, and over again, ad nauseum, trying to get things just so.  My feeble stall has improved tremendously since you were here and explained your 5-0 stall/pivot.  I am very conscious now of getting just one back wheel to lock in.   I still struggle to hold it and balance or control it but I am definitely getting the feelings dialed in.

Overall, I find myself still “heavy” on the board.  More just “riding the board” but not quite “skating the board”, if you all know what I mean.  Sort of depending on the board to do the right thing, but small additions to my repertoire add a lot, like the rock-n-roll.  It requires me to exert more of my will on the board and moves me one step closer toward “skater” and away from “rider”.

As Bob might say in the movie What about Bob?, “Baby steps to a backside air”.  Or maybe in my case, “Old man shuffle to a backside air.”

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2487 on: December 18, 2021, 11:04:39 AM »
I’m guessing pivot out means revert them? Anyway now that you’ve got 1/2 cab rocks and b/s rocks combine them and once you’ve got those get front rocks. Once those are consistent you’ve got 1/2 cab to front rock out. Then everything switch ,etc, etc…
Have you tried sweepers yet? They’re pretty easy and there’s a million variations you can do.

dofrenzy

« Reply #2488 on: December 18, 2021, 12:45:12 PM »
I’m guessing pivot out means revert them? Anyway now that you’ve got 1/2 cab rocks and b/s rocks combine them and once you’ve got those get front rocks. Once those are consistent you’ve got 1/2 cab to front rock out. Then everything switch ,etc, etc…
Have you tried sweepers yet? They’re pretty easy and there’s a million variations you can do.

Haven’t tried sweepers yet.  “Life is a hell ride” above, did one on my ramp so I know they are possible here.  But got dam, jumping onto the board into the transition is CRAZY!!!! (To me).

I’m starting to think maybe I should make a 4 foot extension to my ramp that’s like 1.5 feet to 2 feet tall so I can practice some things a bit lower.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2489 on: December 18, 2021, 02:48:49 PM »
They’re basically just dropping in with a little hop. You can cheat up to them on your ramp. Did that waaaay back when I learned them on an 8’er. Just run up the transition holding you nose in your front hand, turn and hop on. Then just do them a little higher when your comfortable. Once you’re used to the weight movement, just drop in from one and then you only have to ride up and catch them and that’s the easiest part. If that makes sense at all?