Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301754 times)

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2640 on: January 11, 2023, 11:40:50 AM »
Anyone else's eyebrows getting in the way of their shredding?

landedprimo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #2641 on: January 11, 2023, 01:06:51 PM »

Mine are still good atm, so I can see their shredding perfectly. I'd love to see more.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #2642 on: January 13, 2023, 09:01:17 AM »
Does anyone lose tricks they used to have on lock easily and get kinda bummed? I try to focus on the stuff I can still do, though. But damn son.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #2643 on: January 13, 2023, 09:04:08 AM »
Does anyone lose tricks they used to have on lock easily and get kinda bummed? I try to focus on the stuff I can still do, though. But damn son.

Welcome to advanced age. Any trick where the boards leave my feet (kickflip, shuvit, etc.) I have a 10% chance of catching.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #2644 on: January 13, 2023, 09:06:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Welcome to advanced age. Any trick where the boards leave my feet (kickflip, shuvit, etc.) I have a 10% chance of catching.
I landed a kick flip after twenty tries the other day so I’m at 5%. The only new things I’ve learned about in recent years all involve curbs and not ollieing

nonickname

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #2645 on: January 13, 2023, 09:21:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I landed a kick flip after twenty tries the other day so I’m at 5%. The only new things I’ve learned about in recent years all involve curbs and not ollieing

F/S noseslides used to be something that on a ledge I could lock into and just slide properly...if everything else was off I knew those were something I could count on...the last time I was out my mind during roll up/set up was saying "now do we pop and turn into these, or are we more of a scoop kinda guy?" and needless to say not much went right after that...and now its been snowing for 2 days over a solid layer of ice - so I'm back into old guy hockey mode for the foreseeable future.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Bruiser603

• Rep: 10
« Reply #2646 on: January 13, 2023, 01:30:23 PM »
Old guy checking in.  I even have the frozen pea's in my freezer I've been reusing for longer than I'd care to admit.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #2647 on: January 14, 2023, 09:00:20 AM »
Old guy checking in.  I even have the frozen pea's in my freezer I've been reusing for longer than I'd care to admit.

Knee or back?
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #2648 on: January 14, 2023, 09:55:22 AM »
If you don’t use it, you lose it.
Tried skating a miniramp a while back, what a shitshow.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2649 on: January 14, 2023, 10:02:57 AM »
honestly, mini's can be low key dangerous.....I skate them but usually keep it pretty mellow because when you slam, the transitions make it way worse.  A slippery ramp can serve you real fast.

I take enjoyment out of really easy skating so then when I don't land harder stuff, I'm not mad. 

Serious question though.....what is your exit strategy, how does this all end?

OhioGuy

• Rep: 71
« Reply #2650 on: January 14, 2023, 12:15:13 PM »
I haven’t been at this too long, but as someone who’s already 36 and past his prime, I’m intentionally keeping my bag of tricks small. Trying flip tricks thousands of times isn’t worth the stress on my arthritic right knee. But I still have lots of fun.

I’m getting good at just pushing and riding switch, my goal is to become almost ambidextrous and I think it’s possible since I learned switch two months after I started skating and do it for at least half of all my sessions now.

Trying to distribute the wear and tear as evenly as possible 😅
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 12:24:48 PM by OhioGuy »

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2651 on: January 14, 2023, 12:35:18 PM »
I was thinking about this the other day but besides an achy knee, skating at 45 is pretty fucking sick. I used to be kind of self conscious hitting up popular spots or parks here because in San Diego not only do you have the local rippers you have actual pros showing up. I was Ok back in the day. Never felt good enough to hang. 

But now I’ve been doing mostly slappies for about five years now and I’m reasonably good at them. And I’m not self conscious if some old pro or new ripper is at the curb spot. Partly because I’m old and don’t care but also because I worked hard to get good at these tricks. Even if Kellen James or Spencer Nuzzi or whoever is way better I’m skating the same curbs and I have tricks, even if they’re not as cool. And it still feels so fucking good to go fast and lock into a grind. I hope I can do this another twenty years.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #2652 on: January 14, 2023, 12:42:51 PM »
I was thinking about this the other day but besides an achy knee, skating at 45 is pretty fucking sick. I used to be kind of self conscious hitting up popular spots or parks here because in San Diego not only do you have the local rippers you have actual pros showing up. I was Ok back in the day. Never felt good enough to hang. 

But now I’ve been doing mostly slappies for about five years now and I’m reasonably good at them. And I’m not self conscious if some old pro or new ripper is at the curb spot. Partly because I’m old and don’t care but also because I worked hard to get good at these tricks. Even if Kellen James or Spencer Nuzzi or whoever is way better I’m skating the same curbs and I have tricks, even if they’re not as cool. And it still feels so fucking good to go fast and lock into a grind. I hope I can do this another twenty years.
Well said. Such a great feeling not be so self conscious as we once were. I used to skate rockridge and if you’ve seen it there’s a lot of rippers & slap it kings. It’s always a good hang & just to roll around is amazing. I’m 49.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 71
« Reply #2653 on: January 14, 2023, 12:47:36 PM »

I’m sure you will be able to! That’s my goal too, just to keep this up as long as possible. I watch a lot of The Nine Club and Roberts always says, “Skating isn’t going anywhere.” It’s true and it reminds me not to be too hard on myself. It’s all about longevity at this point. 

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2654 on: January 14, 2023, 05:44:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I’m sure you will be able to! That’s my goal too, just to keep this up as long as possible. I watch a lot of The Nine Club and Roberts always says, “Skating isn’t going anywhere.” It’s true and it reminds me not to be too hard on myself. It’s all about longevity at this point.
Yup. Truth be told I don’t care that much about tricks as long as I can roll around for as long as possible

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #2655 on: January 14, 2023, 06:14:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Yup. Truth be told I don’t care that much about tricks as long as I can roll around for as long as possible
✔️💯

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #2656 on: January 14, 2023, 06:31:36 PM »
Yeah mine are getting big in my old age. I go full 80s Grosso and shave them off or go 80s Cab and braid them.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #2657 on: January 14, 2023, 09:47:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Yeah 144p! Ripping as usual!
Did a 46 tricks for my 46th birthday a couple weeks ago. This was painful. I was at the park for 8 hours and was battling darkness near the end. That night I had the worst leg cramps of my life. Don’t think I’ll try something like this ever again. Unless I were to spread it out over a month or so, not one day like I did.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmZBli1Db1o/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Then here’s a best of 2022 edit:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cm2FZ4UhHqs/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=
[close]

damn you were going hard man, props!! 8 hours at the park?   :o
I'm thinking of doing a 49 for 49 vid this year but there is no way in hell I could do 49 tricks in one session hahaha....a month minimum is what I would need! (and also I'm not even sure there are 49 different tricks left in my shrinking bag....we'll see!)

I always feel compelled to watch X tricks for XX years old youtube videos and I think a new rule should be to cap all old person birthday tricks to 21.

Anything over 30 and it's just variations of the same trick anyway (e.g., pivot, 50/50, and smith stalls in the kiddy bowl).

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #2658 on: January 14, 2023, 09:48:56 PM »
That why I did 47 frontside grinds for my 47th or maybe it was my 46th... I'm so old I can't remember...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uc3YQldIaw&t=4s

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2659 on: January 14, 2023, 10:39:47 PM »
If you're getting slashes at Donald at 47 thats alright in my book.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #2660 on: January 15, 2023, 01:17:13 AM »
honestly, mini's can be low key dangerous.....I skate them but usually keep it pretty mellow because when you slam, the transitions make it way worse.  A slippery ramp can serve you real fast.

I take enjoyment out of really easy skating so then when I don't land harder stuff, I'm not mad. 

Mini’s can be fun, but haven’t really skated one in years. More of hit to my ego, because of how sloppy I was.
As far as exit strategy, I don’t know man…
I turn 39 this year, so I classify as pretty old but there’s dudes here not only skating, but ripping well into their late 40’s.
I worry about when the time comes, I guess.

elegant_fox

« Reply #2661 on: January 15, 2023, 09:09:30 AM »
Have y’all found that cupsoles help you session longer with reduced impact pain or does it come down more to insole style?

Nike Blazers, mid and low have been killing me. They only seem to have a tiny heel foam patch on a thin flat insole. Vans Skateboarding versions with the purple pop cush insole and New Balance 1010s have felt great to me.

NB has thin insoles, but a well designed cupsole. Vans is still vulc, but it’s got a mega insole.

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #2662 on: January 15, 2023, 09:24:49 AM »
Have y’all found that cupsoles help you session longer with reduced impact pain or does it come down more to insole style?

Nike Blazers, mid and low have been killing me. They only seem to have a tiny heel foam patch on a thin flat insole. Vans Skateboarding versions with the purple pop cush insole and New Balance 1010s have felt great to me.

NB has thin insoles, but a well designed cupsole. Vans is still vulc, but it’s got a mega insole.
I have found the exact opposite. Any vans hurt my feet. I recently tried agin with the better insoles but it’s the shoe. For me Nikes are such a better shoe even the vulc models feel great. The new ishods are my fav shoe. I have been having insole madness. I have flat feet and was wearing higher arches but now I’m working down to flatter insoles to build up strength in my arches. I also don’t wear skate shoes when I’m not skating anymore.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #2663 on: January 16, 2023, 12:14:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Mini’s can be fun, but haven’t really skated one in years. More of hit to my ego, because of how sloppy I was.
As far as exit strategy, I don’t know man…
I turn 39 this year, so I classify as pretty old but there’s dudes here not only skating, but ripping well into their late 40’s.
I worry about when the time comes, I guess.

they added a wooden mini to my local park this year, it's a 20 min skate from my place so I've skated it a fair bit.....and I freaked out at how much I had to relearn! The last 10 years I mostly skated low impact street, so the only tricks I had left on the mini were slashes and bs axles or 50-50s basically. It's slowly coming back but the pace is weird! I got ollie disasters and lipslides before I could do rock fakies again ha! Big mental block on that one....
So I'm going to focus on the mini now I think, cause even low impact street seems to upset my knee (a bit of swelling, pain, hobbling around etc). Whereas transition is more mellow... And I'm also not sure the slams are worse on a mini? I mean, falling on wood is just more forgiving than concrete right?

as far as exit strategy, SatanicPanic said it it best:
Truth be told I don’t care that much about tricks as long as I can roll around for as long as possible

as long as I can push and carve, I'll keep skating I think!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2664 on: January 16, 2023, 12:52:00 AM »
Mini ramp is scary when you’ve had a extended break, I used to skate a lot more transition and had a tonne of tricks, but yeah even rock fakie on bigger shit does my head in…
Cupsoles def help, get your feet outta then vulc shits!

Also, @The Drew now that you’ve hit 40, you can start slowing down yeah? ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 01:13:06 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #2665 on: January 16, 2023, 05:12:38 AM »
I got pretty wrecked on a 4-foot mini ramp with 6-foot extensions when I was just coming back to skateboarding for the millionth time this summer. I somehow managed two symmetrical slams, slipping out both ways perfectly and landing with my right and left wrists respectively pinned under my hip and all 215 lbs of dad bod crushing my weak bones. I also relate to having a strange bag of tricks on transition. Like I can't do a bs 5050 grind to save my life but I could sooner push through a fs tail or fs crailslide comfortably. Other than that I get stuck in the embarrassing mini ramp purgatory of rock fakie, fakie tail stall, fs scrape etc. repeat infinitely. I'm fairly certain I could learn bs tailslides before bs 5050s as stupid as that sounds. I really just need a good time alone on a small ramp to get back to basics. It's always some high-pressure ramp jam situation or a bunch of young kids looking on and making me feel embarrassed to be so poor of a skater for having been around this shit for the better part of 25 years.

Bruiser603

« Reply #2666 on: January 16, 2023, 05:14:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Knee or back?

Mostly ankle, started popping one day and after that it acts up.  It gets agitated mostly from impacts, so I've had to change my wheels and use shock pads and change my insoles as well.  Any impact that those things can absorb as opposed to my joints seems to help alot.

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
« Reply #2667 on: January 16, 2023, 05:57:37 AM »

Everyone raves about the pop cush insole but I've found my heels bruise about as often as a cup sole with decent but non specific insoles. So I'm moving back to cup soles and buying a higher quality after market insole.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Bruiser603

« Reply #2668 on: January 16, 2023, 06:22:09 AM »

The obvious aside (that the shoes width and length fits you properly), I've found the key has been the insole.  I too like vans, I have a wide foot with a high arch.  I've found the sk8 skate high's and the crockett highs work well for me.  I use the crocketts with the pop cush for when I'm predominately skating transition and minimal to no impacts.  The reason being the crocketts lace tight and have a a plastic support in the heel, when I lace them up high and tight I feel really secure.  I use the sk8 skate high's with a replaced insole for impacts, having high arches I need something different for if I'm skating a curb or doing alot of flat ground or generally doing ollie based tricks.

Not sure if this helps at all, but has been my general experience.  The proper support from an insole, a good fit and shock absorbing qualities seem to be what lengthens skate sessions and minimizes overall soreness.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #2669 on: January 16, 2023, 09:20:51 AM »
I have more hair on my eyebrows than hair on my head. So I grew a beard to take attention off of them. Still can’t kickflip tho.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 09:27:54 AM by FUBAR »