Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 303253 times)

sweet son of a bitch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 62
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #2670 on: January 16, 2023, 10:06:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone else's eyebrows getting in the way of their shredding?
[close]
I have more hair on my eyebrows than hair on my head. So I grew a beard to take attention off of them. Still can’t kickflip tho.
I have more ear hair then hair on my head as well. I can’t do kickflips neither.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #2671 on: January 16, 2023, 10:23:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Have y’all found that cupsoles help you session longer with reduced impact pain or does it come down more to insole style?

Nike Blazers, mid and low have been killing me. They only seem to have a tiny heel foam patch on a thin flat insole. Vans Skateboarding versions with the purple pop cush insole and New Balance 1010s have felt great to me.

NB has thin insoles, but a well designed cupsole. Vans is still vulc, but it’s got a mega insole.
[close]

Everyone raves about the pop cush insole but I've found my heels bruise about as often as a cup sole with decent but non specific insoles. So I'm moving back to cup soles and buying a higher quality after market insole.

thats been my mantra for the last 6-7 years
if you got access to NB#, its the corpo way to go, best price-quality ratio than all, consistent drops, nice colors and overall feel.
I tend to buy anything that protects my feet enough, Im not a kid anymore and flatground can be tough  ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 10:30:16 AM by mooraga »

discode

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2672 on: January 16, 2023, 10:35:04 AM »
48 years old this year. Learned tricks that I never had when I was younger this past season.

Front shove. I had just never really done them. That unlocked a whole new world of stuff. Shoves came pretty easy and consistent.
Varial heel <- I get about 3 out of 10 on these but that ratio is getting a whole lot better compared to when I started.
Front bigspin <- 1 in about 15 and I look soo corny doing them. I have to do a giant wind up. Just uggo.
Front shove back 50 <- 2 out of 10 such a fun trick. Once it gets warm again gonna start working on the 5-0 too
Back heel <- such a PITA right now. This one is like 1 20 or some shit. So frustrating.

I was out of work for like 6 months or so. Skated like 2 hrs a day every day weather permitting. So, now Im working again plus its winter so hard to skate often. We don't have an indoor. 

Im still hyped that the motivation to learn stuff is there. Still pushing after all this time. My body kinda hates me for all of the impact and I have been doing knees over toes guy stuff pretty hard to keep in "skate" condition.  My knees hurt. My hip flexors hurt.  I got achilles issues. 

WORTH IT. I wouldn't change any part of it.

Now if I could just get 50's on round rails Id be super happy.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 65
« Reply #2673 on: January 17, 2023, 02:40:20 PM »
I’m in a weird place. Technically, I’m better than I was a few months ago, but my confidence is low cause I’m coming off an injury and it’s winter so I only skate a few times a month. It’ll be nice once spring rolls around. Think I’ll regain my confidence by then.

I bombed this little slope with some 75mm Thunder Juices this summer, and doing something like that now terrifies me 😭

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #2674 on: January 19, 2023, 11:35:54 AM »
I'm back, healed up from broken ribs then a broken ankle.  Unsurprisingly my skating is even worse now than I was last year but that's how it goes.

Gonna set up a Huffer and see what other body parts I can break this weekend.

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #2675 on: January 19, 2023, 02:52:34 PM »
Gonna set up a Huffer and see what other body parts I can break this weekend.
THAT’S THE SPIRIT!

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
« Reply #2676 on: January 26, 2023, 12:42:03 PM »
Got a slick and relearned blunt slides.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #2677 on: January 26, 2023, 01:40:41 PM »

Nice!
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

sk8n hugon

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2678 on: January 26, 2023, 07:30:37 PM »

Ed Benedict! That double parking block is nice!

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
« Reply #2679 on: January 26, 2023, 07:58:38 PM »
Correct and yes. I never skated it before. I rarely go to this park, even though its the closest park to my house.

franc

• Rep: 101
« Reply #2680 on: May 11, 2023, 04:20:12 AM »
Turned 41 in November and here’s some tricks I filmed on my grind box between October and April. Glad we had a mellow winter in the Alps, love skating outdoors when it’s cold but not too cold.  :)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cr8rEhZoLlr/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Don’t know how to embed, Insta, sorry. #okboomer

ChipSuey

• Rep: 25
« Reply #2681 on: May 11, 2023, 05:16:46 AM »
Hi, I'm 46 and don't have kids but have adopted a curb near me and am turning it into a spot with help of a rub brick and laquer, and I'm learning slappies - backside first, then frontside (those scare the shit out of me) then I want to learn variations. 

Curbs and manual pads are pretty much my go-tos, I don't really fuck with parks too much. 

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -31
« Reply #2682 on: May 11, 2023, 07:28:33 AM »
Turned 41 in November and here’s some tricks I filmed on my grind box between October and April. Glad we had a mellow winter in the Alps, love skating outdoors when it’s cold but not too cold.  :)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cr8rEhZoLlr/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Box game is A+

Jimmy The Saint

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2683 on: May 11, 2023, 05:04:07 PM »

That was really good. Everything was solid. I especially liked that Suski grind.
"Give it a name."

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2684 on: May 11, 2023, 06:16:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
That was really good. Everything was solid. I especially liked that Suski grind.
yeah Suski mount stood out! Also, you’re too good to be 41, slow down a little bit aye ;)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

franc

« Reply #2685 on: May 12, 2023, 12:00:39 AM »
Thank you gents! Had good fun filming this.

Suskis aren’t that hard if you can do backside 5-0s, just commit and that’s it really. Quite an underrated trick, but maybe that’s what makes them cool too, who knows?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2686 on: May 12, 2023, 04:02:36 AM »
Did anyone else call dropping in from axle stall 'kicking in'?  I just remembered it, and wondered if it's just something me and my mates callled it when we were kids.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2687 on: May 12, 2023, 05:33:00 AM »
Did anyone else call dropping in from axle stall 'kicking in'?  I just remembered it, and wondered if it's just something me and my mates callled it when we were kids.
that was Defs used in Australia, but yeah you had to do it like a drop in!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #2688 on: May 12, 2023, 01:52:07 PM »
Hi, I'm 46 and don't have kids but have adopted a curb near me and am turning it into a spot with help of a rub brick and laquer, and I'm learning slappies - backside first, then frontside (those scare the shit out of me) then I want to learn variations. 

Curbs and manual pads are pretty much my go-tos, I don't really fuck with parks too much.
You, sir, are my spirit animal.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #2689 on: May 13, 2023, 02:50:20 AM »
damn Franc killing it as usual! plus skating with snow in the background? That's dedication! Or swiss adaptation to cold?? anyways glad I have the excuse of being a little bit older  ;D

speaking of, I have officially started filming to try and get 50 tricks on the mini for my 50th bday.....and it's a good thing I have like 10 months ahead of me cause it's gonna be a battle! Tricks that I used to be able to do easily and are still easy in my mind scare the shit out of me when I try them to relearn them basically. que sera sera!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2690 on: May 13, 2023, 07:11:58 AM »
my plan is to do 50 50-50's for my 50th...it'll be as mind numbing and sketchy as I feel.....

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2691 on: May 13, 2023, 09:12:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
that was Defs used in Australia, but yeah you had to do it like a drop in!

Yeah had a friend who would always ‘kick in’ and would push his rear axle out to make it easier and I always think about it when doing 50s.

franc

« Reply #2692 on: May 13, 2023, 10:32:53 AM »
damn Franc killing it as usual! plus skating with snow in the background? That's dedication! Or swiss adaptation to cold?? anyways glad I have the excuse of being a little bit older  ;D

Well, I grew up here so I’m used to cold weather I suppose. I love skating outdoors when it’s cold, as long as my bushings can take it, makes me feel really good when I get back home, no matter if I filmed a trick or just cruised around.

speaking of, I have officially started filming to try and get 50 tricks on the mini for my 50th bday.....and it's a good thing I have like 10 months ahead of me cause it's gonna be a battle! Tricks that I used to be able to do easily and are still easy in my mind scare the shit out of me when I try them to relearn them basically. que sera sera!

YES! Go for it. The miniramp at the Ursulines square is awesome, make the most of it!

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2693 on: May 15, 2023, 07:49:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well, I grew up here so I’m used to cold weather I suppose. I love skating outdoors when it’s cold, as long as my bushings can take it, makes me feel really good when I get back home, no matter if I filmed a trick or just cruised around.

Expand Quote
[close]

YES! Go for it. The miniramp at the Ursulines square is awesome, make the most of it!

really? shit, I don't know if it's the colombian genes or what, but I hate the cold and anything below 10°C I won't skate pretty much....which means I miss out a good part of the year living in Belgium ha!

also: oh snap so you've skated that mini? Euro fist bump!   ;D

and yeah it is pretty cool, very mellow and forgiving....super stoked they built it!

btw j....soy.....: 50 50-50's at 50 different spots could be dope! just like the 47 fs grinds vid was cool....

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #2694 on: May 15, 2023, 01:08:32 PM »
I've been on a really good routine of skating 3-4 times per week lately, even though I'm only averaging around 30 minutes per session. At 47 years old, I've been on some extra be careful shit… some old quit-while-you're-ahead shit  ;D

I'm trying to skate before a gym sesh too, and I've got to tell ya that I'm feeling fan fucking tastic now. As long as I can get out of my head and stop dwelling on "Oh but I used to be able to land this 20 years ago" and just go with the flow, and push myself a teeny bit, I'm in heaven  :)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2695 on: May 15, 2023, 04:09:46 PM »

Definitely!!!

It is not about "What you used to be able to do" but what you are able to do now and how keen you are to push yourself.

Once I got over thinking I could still try some things and getting frustrated not landing it, everything got a whole lot easier, so I just skate, sometimes better, sometimes not so well, enjoy what I can and don't think too much about things I did well over twenty years ago now that I just don't have the ability to do anymore.

Makes it easier really, but everyone is different and at least with skateboarding there is nothing that says you have to do this and this and this to have a good day, so if I try something and it is just not working, I leave it for now, do something else and maybe come back to it if I am feeling keen, otherwise it is best not to overdo anything and still be able to skate tomorrow.

That works for me anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

franc

« Reply #2696 on: May 16, 2023, 01:03:36 AM »

really? shit, I don't know if it's the colombian genes or what, but I hate the cold and anything below 10°C I won't skate pretty much....which means I miss out a good part of the year living in Belgium ha!

also: oh snap so you've skated that mini? Euro fist bump!   ;D

I dunno, skating makes me feel good so I'll go out as long as it's dry. Sometimes it's really cold and I just cruise around but even if it's only for 20 minutes it does make my day different, much better.
I haven't skated that mini, I was already a few beers deep last time I went there and I hate getting hurt doing silly things but I could tell it's a lovely one.

Definitely!!!

It is not about "What you used to be able to do" but what you are able to do now and how keen you are to push yourself.

Once I got over thinking I could still try some things and getting frustrated not landing it, everything got a whole lot easier, so I just skate, sometimes better, sometimes not so well, enjoy what I can and don't think too much about things I did well over twenty years ago now that I just don't have the ability to do anymore.

Makes it easier really, but everyone is different and at least with skateboarding there is nothing that says you have to do this and this and this to have a good day, so if I try something and it is just not working, I leave it for now, do something else and maybe come back to it if I am feeling keen, otherwise it is best not to overdo anything and still be able to skate tomorrow.

That works for me anyway.

Absolutely. Am I going to kickflip a 5 set again? No way, I'll dance on the bottom step using it as a curb. Maybe I'll just do some pivot stalls, maybe I'll try something new which is gonna be as exciting as doing said kickflip down the stair set.
Skating like that I don't know why I couldn't keep skating for another 10 or 20 years.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2697 on: May 16, 2023, 01:43:05 AM »
at least with skateboarding there is nothing that says you have to do this and this and this to have a good day, so if I try something and it is just not working, I leave it for now, do something else and maybe come back to it if I am feeling keen, otherwise it is best not to overdo anything and still be able to skate tomorrow.

yup that is my mindset as well  ;)  Plus I really don't want to slam anymore! so any trick that scares me I let go.

I'm honestly just grateful I can still skate at all, after all the shit my body went through. Playing football (soccer), for instance, is out of the question for me now, with my shitty meniscus-less knees. The last time I tried to, with my kids, I limped around for 2 weeks afterwards. So any ball sport where you have to change direction quickly, like tennis, basketball or anything I don't do anymore. But luckily skating and snowboarding or surfing I can still do. (somewhat)
Probably the only thing that frustrates me about skating in my 40's is that pretty much all my skate buddies have stopped. actually two of the guys from my old crew are now into marathon/trail running, which just baffles me. I mean, I'm impressed they can do it, but I also wish I could have a session with the old heads from time to time!

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2698 on: May 21, 2023, 05:35:34 AM »
Been a while since Ive been here so catching up!
Hope everyone is keeping well.

Dave aka 144p – Hell of an Iphone edit!!  Loved the KFBSTS and those slappie krooks to fakie nosegrinds and whatnot. The slappie 50 to tail gap - wow!! Really loved all of your edit – Happy belated 49th!!!!

Handlappin – Sosantor – Same – loved the 46 for 46. Hell of a session to stack them 46 clips – no way I think I could do that in a day – not happening!!. Id love a session with you and your crew – looks like hella good times!!

Newphone – yea Montreal – Peace Park. My home away from home….

Mooraga – Totally agree with ya on NB# 425 all the way for me – it’s the ‘budget shoe’ – 85CDN$ fine by me!!

Franc – rad edit – Box king!! Been trying those sw half cab krrok to no avail – pop out is killer. That fakie 5….!!!

Nice mini skills OldieButFrenchie !! I hear ya on the crew / friends skating  -they fade off as you get older.

I hit the gym a bit this winter – helped quite a vbit to keep me in shape. The good weather is kinda here so Ive been trying to get out 2-3 times a week.

I tried for a 45/45 edit last year but I didn’t work out. Didn’t get the 45 tricks – no where near it but managed to snag a few and made an edit. Pretty stoked on it and even posted it to the gram!! I biught and used a GoPro 360 for it  - amazing toy if you’re a solo skater as you can get so many angles and really do some cool editing. I would totally recommend this to anyone.

Id really like to try and go on a skate trip this year. 46 years young so its kinda now or never. Never really went on a good one back in the days and kinda regret that. Not sure where or who to go with tho. Philly looks kinda cool for the city hall ledges but I could probably fly to Europe for just as much. SF or California in general looks cool too but I don’t know. If anyone has any ideas please share.

Montreal’s also getting a new granite skate plaza!! Should be done in a few weeks…

and some shameless self promotion

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqReXrfJGy7/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Cant seem to embed the links either…. Well I managed one of the 2...

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #2699 on: May 21, 2023, 06:24:53 AM »

Came back to Jersey skated with my cousins & caught a little slash grind. Planning on getting out today abs going back to this spot.