Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301565 times)

SodaJerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2013, 12:58:28 PM »
Average during the summer would be 1-2 times a week. During the winter once every two weeks. I think part of it is balance, but my movements also feel sluggish. Some days I am hesitant to even do any ollie based tricks since I feel so heavy. Even though I'm slim and in shape, it feels like I'm skating around with a sack of potatoes on my back. I don't know if it's just me or just an old guy thing, but it sucks.
Making time to skate is hard but what I did was make any excuse to roll. I skate to the shop, skate to the bus, take my board to work and when I went out for lunch I'd skate there. I wouldn't be busting tricks just ollieing and power slides, rolling switch. Doing that regularly just took away the sketchy Charlie Chaplin scenario you described. The other thing I do is when I watching TV or something passive I'll just do stationary manuals like its a balance board. Helps with the lateral support muscles. And the suggestions about yoga would help even if its just having a proper stretch every morning plus working on your core will take strain off you're other muscles meaning less energy spent.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2013, 01:04:49 PM »
^^^all very sound advice.  Doing all local errands on the board helps me get a little time in on days when job, kid, and life get in the way of a full-on session.

shredbuffalo

• Rep: -43
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2013, 01:22:22 PM »
Iceman, it sounds to me like what's going on with you is probably mostly in your head...Obviously we all have our bad days skating, and I would say that they come along more frequently the older we get (as do the injuries.) It sucks, but I guess time takes it's toll on all of us ad there's not much we can do about it. Does that mean that we have to stop having fun or that it's "time to put the skateboard away"? Fuck no!

I'd put my skill level at "not bad for a 38 year old" and I have days where I feel great, and days where I feel like I probably should have stayed home. Hell, last week i got serviced doing a 50-50 on an over-waxed ledge and broke my hand (worst skate related injury for me ever and the only bone I've ever broken.) But, even if I'm having an off day I always have fun because I'm out there living my life and doing one of the few things that makes me truly happy.

If I can't land a certain trick I don't get hung up on it and get all pissed off. I'll just move on and do something else and if the mood strikes me I'll come back to it later. If things aren't working out for me that day I'll just try to take it easy and do basic stuff that comes to me easy. My attitude is, "If I'm not having fun, what's the point?"

Lastly, I always follow the same routine when I go out. Take a few puffs (just enough to get my blood pumping, not enough to get me stupid), stretch out thoroughly, drink a Rockstar for some energy, and when I get to where I'm skating spend like 15 minutes skating flat doing "go-to tricks" to get warmed up.

I think you just need to go out there with a positive mental attitude, focus more on having fun rather than being good, and hopefully everything else will fall into place. I mean of course you'll have to address your issues with balance, energy, etc., but it seems like you're pretty passionate about skating and being happy and feeling good on your board again is a good place to start.

Ndsr

• Rep: -7
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2013, 01:31:57 PM »
Quote from: sans umbilical  link=topic=74338.msg2031969#msg2031969 date=1384525172
Expand Quote
Quote from: sans umbilical  link=topic=74338.msg2031705#msg2031705 date=1384487319
Expand Quote
Set Up: 8.5 Blank
             52mm Bones STF Deadheads
             Ace 44's
             Bones Swiss Ceramic
             Jessup Grip
Preferred Terrain: Street, ditches and mini
Favorite skaters: Matt Hensley, Ray Barbee, Brain Lotti, Lance Mountain and Cab
Music: The Smiths, Joy Division, Dinosaur Jr, My Bloddy Valentine, Pink Floyd...
Married: Yes, 15 going on 16 years.
Kids: 1

Occupation: Adjunct College Instructor and Freelance Graphic Designer
[close]

Cool you're backing ace, what part of the sw u skating these ditches

[close]

Yeah, love my Aces.

I'm actually in the SE. Alabama to be exact.

Not trying to type cast you, I grew in the geographic center of North America, aka the worst place to get seafood or skate ditches.  I've only skated good ditches in the sw and Texas.  I can only dream of those Alabama ditches

Ndsr

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2013, 01:45:57 PM »
I'm pushing 40, but enough of the dating bio thing... let's discuss "old guy stuff".

I guess you could say I'm going through a skateboarding crisis. Been skateboarding for so long and was semi decent, but nowadays when I step on a board I feel like I'm going to fall over sideways ala Koston as Chaplin in Mouse. It's quite sobering to go from taking pros out in S.K.A.T.E. to struggling to 50-50 a ledge (some days). I don't know what happened these last few years, but not being able to just roll around and consistently do even basic tricks puts a serious damper on the fun level. The ratio of bummer skate days to semi-ok ones is far too great. I feel conflicted. If I generally don't have fun skating does that mean it's "time to put the skateboard away"? If so, can I? It's my true passion in life. I can't see myself ever being able to get it out of my mind. The alternative seems worse: being a skateboarding fan while not doing it. Just like every other fat old dude cheering for their favorite sports team. I need a therapist.

Damn iceman that was way more personal than a bio and more sad.  Cheer up it's just the internet and you looking back on your glory daze

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2013, 01:48:07 PM »
Iceman, I'm 40 & this has been the year where I really started noticing a decline in my ability. I used to always be able to get the trick eventually if I worked at it - now, there are lots of times where the body just isn't up to it, & if I don't respect that I'll get hurt.

But I would also say I'm having more fun on a board then ever before. When I do tricks they feel better than they used to - maybe because I can feel it all slipping away & that makes me appreciate it more?

Whatever, just rolling through a city, doing slappies and ollieing little grates & doing manuals and 180 ollies on flat and early grabbing out of curb cuts - a flip trick or basic ledge trick here and there... man, I can do that for the rest of my life and be completely fucking happy.

Fuck age.

Ndsr

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2013, 01:49:08 PM »
Set Up: 7.5 Justin Girard New Deal "Rumblefish" slick
� � � � � � �43mm Underworld Element Ducketts
� � � � � � �129 Thunders
� � � � � � �Bones Swiss
� � � � � � �Zero Two sneakers

Preferred Terrain: Parking garages, double-sided curbs, smooth flatground
Favorite skaters: Chris Fissel, Rene Matthyssen, Ron Knigge, Sage Humphries
Music: Beastie Boys, Descendents/All, Naughty By Nature, Black Sheep, Snow, Wreckx-n-Effect‎, Das Efx.

You're talking zero 2's with the Velcro Ollie patch or you just fronting on the allstar team of sheffey and templeton just on the line fronting
Married: Divorced 4x
Kids: No

Still got pressure flips & slappy noseslide shove-its on lock.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2013, 02:21:10 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. I didn't mean to bring the vibe down, I just thought this thread was the right fit to spill what's been on my mind.

I think you guys are right. I need to get out there more often. It'll make me feel better on my board. Some extra exercises would help too. I guess one of my issues is that I avoid going skating if I don't feel perky. Very high chance of having a bad day (which always makes me think I'm too old and need to stop). Maybe it's just a hump I need to overcome then things get better.

I don't think my mentals concerning skating are off. Maybe the way I worded things made it sound like I'm concerned with doing good tricks. That's not really the case. The tricks are inconsequential. It's how I feel when I'm rolling/ollieing/grinding. It just so happens that this feeling also dictates my skating level that day.

I was thinking that maybe I'm just not as in shape as I think I am. I get tired quickly. Don't smoke but I can't catch my breath. I rarely feel like I have energy to burn. Fuck. I hate exercising. Maybe it's time to man up and join a gym. Ugh.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2013, 02:40:19 PM »
It feels like 80% of the forum is old guys.

Turn 39 next month.  Get out to skate 1-2 times a week when the weather is nice.  Less frequent in the rain season.  tricks lost >> tricks gained

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2013, 02:59:43 PM »
My friend cut done a quarter pipe to about 3 foot in is driveway yesterday.

33 to 40yo and about 5 of us skating.

The 40yo shut it down. I was thinking of this thread but I didn't say anything.

Then i got home and watched Danes part and shaved my head so I look less bald.

Fin.
Twin Perks

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2013, 03:04:39 PM »
I was never good at skating and honestly haven't skated in 2 years. I think I've become that old man that loves to watch skating and be a fan more so than actually doing it. I am a prime example of what COFG hated on. It's all good cause I actually accept being this way.

This what I have now even though I hardly skate;

Set Up:
Board: 7.75 REAL Brock deck
Wheels: Spitfire 53mm
Trucks: Thunder lows
Bearings: FTC cheap bearings that were like $10
Grip: Jessup?
Preferred Terrain: Park or street  
Favorite skaters: Daewon, Booze and Tits, Westgate, Reynolds, Jack Curtin,
Music: Wrap Music but do like random shit like Chili Peppers, Incubus, soul music, motown, reggae
Married: Nada
Kids: Nizzope
Occupation: Insurance Analyst with a degree in Graphic Design. Haha.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2013, 03:15:40 PM »
But what is your fav year air max!?!?
Twin Perks

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2013, 03:16:04 PM »
37 in a week

Currently rolling on a Magenta 7.75, Theeve 5'0s, Moshdog 54mm, reds.

Been with my wife since '95 but married for 6 years,one kid whose 4 next week too and one due in January. Don't skate as much as I used too and have definitely lost some sproing in my knees. Had a 3 hour sesh a couple of days ago and still ache tonight. Getting a little tubby in the gut aint helping either. Most the guys I skate with are at least 10 years my junior. Rad there are so many "oldies" here. Plus I'm stoked to have a wife who accepts my skate needs. Have seen so many people disappear of the skate map when they get ladies.

twistingtheknife666

• Rep: 0
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2013, 03:36:28 PM »
So more old guy stuff.

I understand not feeling 100% Iceman and lacking energy. I get up at 4am everyday for work and I'm off at 1pm, which sounds perfect to go skate all afternoon, but it's not. I'm not a morning person at all! I've found that taking naps everyday when I get off and skating later at night has helped keep me on the board. I also make it a point to skate everywhere I go. I don't get in the car and drive to spots in town and if I need beer, smokes or I'm going to get a coffee on Saturday morning I skate. It's helped me on the board quite a bit. Just pushing everywhere makes me feel so much more comfortable when I actually try tricks.

My trick selection is certainly not what it was. My knees and ankles don't like any drops over 3 or 4 feet, I've lost a little pop and the really bad 360 flips I used to have are gone 9 tries out of 10. I have however gotten better at no-complys! ha. I just try to have fun anymore, to me that's the point.

My biggest problem is finding people to skate with! I don't mind skating by myself, but it's always fun to get a crew together. I just can't see going skating with a bunch of 15 year olds and with work, kids, wives and the trappings of adulthood it's difficult to get together with the very few people near my age still willing to go skate. I've got tons of friends who see me skating and say shit like, man I'd like to go out and skate but I don't know... I always try to get them out there, but they always find excuses.

The best thing about being old IMO is I can now afford shit! If I want a new board, shoes, etc. I can buy it! My next goal now that I own a home and have a big fenced in yard is a miniramp. I plan to put away a little savings this winter so I can get it up this spring. I'm hoping that might get a few of the other old guys around here out. I figure I can get them to donate time or money and since my fence is locked I'll give whoever helps a key so they can come skate whenever they want. Plus not dodging the little park kids, scooters and bmx bikes will be nice. It's funny, when I started skating around 11 or 12 I remember thinking I'd have to quit when I was 35. I'll be 38 this December and now I realize I'm not quitting until I'm so broken I literally can't skate or I'm in a box. Even if it's just rolling down the damn street.

twistingtheknife666

« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2013, 03:42:26 PM »
Well Said! Not killing myself for a trick was something I had to get over getting older. I used to punish myself, we've all had those days where no amount of blood shed or tweaked ankle, knee, whatever was going to stop us. Now I try to know when I've had enough rather than push on. When it takes twice as long to heal up I'd rather skate tomorrow than pull something today.

But, even if I'm having an off day I always have fun because I'm out there living my life and doing one of the few things that makes me truly happy.

If I can't land a certain trick I don't get hung up on it and get all pissed off. I'll just move on and do something else and if the mood strikes me I'll come back to it later. If things aren't working out for me that day I'll just try to take it easy and do basic stuff that comes to me easy. My attitude is, "If I'm not having fun, what's the point?"

Young Satchel

« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2013, 03:46:59 PM »

I was thinking that maybe I'm just not as in shape as I think I am. I get tired quickly. Don't smoke but I can't catch my breath. I rarely feel like I have energy to burn. Fuck. I hate exercising. Maybe it's time to man up and join a gym. Ugh.

Things I have begun to do that help with the problems you describe:

1. Eat better. Not trying to take shots at anyone's lifestyle choices, but I'm consistently amazed by the shit people put in their bodies. I eat less carbs, a bit less sodium, and less high fructose corn syrup. I drink tons of water, a glass of fruit juice a day, and try to limit my coffee intake to one or two max (not great, but better than 3 or 4) I eat fresh fruit daily now, and make giant salads with a variety of tasty veggies. I try to get leafy greens like kale in their too. I eat lean meats like bison and grass fed beef when I crave meat. I eat cheese and eggs often.

2. Vitamins. I take glucosamine sulfate. Their is a lot of debate about its effectiveness in promoting healthy joints, and the truth is I have no idea if it's working. But it seems like my knees feel a bit less creaky after a few months of regular doses, so I plan to continue. Also take a one-a-day men's supplement for active dudes. And another supplement for my migraine headaches.

3. Stretch before I skate, hydrate and replenish sodium while skating, and recover with a glass of low fat chocolate milk after.

4. Make myself skate if I planned to, even if I don't "feel like it" (this does NOT include pushing myself when injured) with a full time job and a 7 month old with some issues, I rarely feel like I have an over abundance of energy. A lot if times 8pm rolls around and I put the kid down and I don't want to go out anymore. But 9/10 times, if I go out and start pushing, I will stay out for 2 hours and have a great time. If I come back in 30 minutes, no big loss, at least I got out. If I have a crappy session, at least I had one at all, the key is consistency.

None of this is rocket science, but it all helps me, even if only incrementally. I don't feel like I'm 19 again, and I certainly still get hurt and rebound slower. This is just some stuff I do that makes a bit if a difference so I figured I'd share.

manoftheeast

« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2013, 03:51:09 PM »
Set Up:
  8.25 Alien Workshop
  Spitfire Strike Anywhere
  Thunder Ti-Lights
  Bones Swiss
  Black Magic grip

Married for 4 1/2 years with 1 kid.
Car salesman
When I have time/energy to skate, I am up for most anything.

JAesop

« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2013, 04:25:45 PM »
I have a 5 year old, almost 6.
I am a physical therapist assistant.
8.125 Hopps Barrier deck,Indy's, STF 54.
I'll shake it up and ride an 8.5 for a week or two and then an 8.
Favorite thing to skate is anything where I can keep moving. Street preferred.
Things about getting older, I def need warmup time before I feel like I can try anything new. But the flip side is that the stuff I can do I have locked down most of the time. I have lost the light feeling ollies though. I used to be able to just snap up or over anything, now it takes effort. 
Nobody my age really skates anymore so it's a lot of solo missions.  And slams hurt twice as much. And they get in my head twice as much.

All time faves are Busenitz, Speyer, Frazier, Brauch, Kirby, Matt Rodriguez, Chris Miller.

But it's all good b/c I just built a quarter pipe in my garage.   

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2013, 04:33:50 PM »
Set Up: 8.62 Anti Hero
             55 mm spitfire parkburners
             149 Indys

Preferred Terrain: parks and curbs
Favorite skaters: Eric Dressen, Julien Stranger, Mark Gonzales, stereo-Ethan Fowler
Music: Just about everything... total record nerd.  these days lots of 70's Glam, NWOBHM and early Motorhead.  Italian/Euro hardcore
Married: Nope but in a steady reltionship
Kids: No but a shit load of pets
Occupation: been a chef for a long time, considering going back to school for electrical engineering.

Definitely takes longer to warm up and my sessions usually max out at the 1.5 to 2 hour mark, but feeling better than i have in a long time. Gonna try to start jogging again to keep it up. 

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2013, 06:53:51 PM »
Set Up: 8.8 Welcome "owlcat" 55 ACE trucks 56mm Bones SPF "daggers" Super red Bones bearings not PIG rails and risers and some sort of hardware

Preferred Terrain: old man street (curbs, small ledges, curb cuts, etc...) pools, ditches, parks, parking garages, DIY spots

Favorite skaters: Neil Heddings, Ron Allen, Ed Templeton, Gonz, Natas, the Welcome kids, Jason Adams, Julian Stranger, Vincent Alverez, Raven Tershey, Screech, Pete The OX, Craig Questions, Foz, Chopper (all the Osaka Daggers), Tim Brauch, Ba Ku, Neil Blender... could go on and on

Music: Punk, Hardcore, Soul, hip hop (not rap), metal, jazz, classical, old country

Married: yes, 9 years, been a couple 10 years

Kids: 3 girls 16, 12 and 9

Occupation: Independent living instructor for handicapped adults

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2013, 06:57:03 PM »
this threads the shit. go guys go, hope to be as level headed as some of u when im older and even more useless
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

b.v.

« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2013, 08:51:25 PM »
set up: always changes, but right now 8.5 heroin/indys/53mm f4
terrain: most anything, but smallish tranny and curbs are preferred.
favs: My friends
married: yup, 15 years worth
kids: no but trying, little late to the game
job: skate shop lackey

These past few years I have slowed way down, still excited to roll and squeeze an hour or two in almost every day but my body is aging. Gained and lost then gained and lost again about 40 lbs. Had to establish a regimen of exercises, stretches and daily habits that are healthy.
I am worried about this winter as the colder it gets, the less I feel like skating. I used to need an all day fix but can get a ton of enjoyment from an hour or two and be satisfied to go home and hang out with my wife and dog. Hoping this topic helps me gain some excitement to go out of my way to roll.
Lots of your guys posts inspire me, I always feel so ancient when I'm out with my friends. I never have been great at skating, but enjoy the tricks I have and some days I push myself but regret it the next morning.
I don't drink or smoke, no drugs. Don't even drink soda really, kinda boring but I want to skate as long as possible and not be the beer gutted guy talking everyone's ear off at the park. I just wanna roll and be happy and healthy.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 08:53:02 PM by b.v. »

gnidraobetaks

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 22
  • this is joab
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2013, 08:53:52 PM »
Set Up: 8.75 Anti Hero Cardiel Eagle board
             59 mm Jivaro wheels
             169 Indys
Preferred Terrain: the redcurb in the liquor store parking lot, my local poolcoping crater
Favorite skaters: ronnie russo, john trujillo, grant bosiero, ben burke
Music: mainly shitty southern rap from the early 2000's, and all them classic bob seger, csny america rock stuffs.
Married: guilty of pimping hoes
Kids: i own three goats.

Gotta manscape ... it's mandatory.

sans umbilical

• Rep: 24
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2013, 09:08:33 PM »
Quote from: sans umbilical  link=topic=74338.msg2031969#msg2031969 date=1384525172
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quote from: sans umbilical  link=topic=74338.msg2031705#msg2031705 date=1384487319
Expand Quote
Set Up: 8.5 Blank
             52mm Bones STF Deadheads
             Ace 44's
             Bones Swiss Ceramic
             Jessup Grip
Preferred Terrain: Street, ditches and mini
Favorite skaters: Matt Hensley, Ray Barbee, Brain Lotti, Lance Mountain and Cab
Music: The Smiths, Joy Division, Dinosaur Jr, My Bloddy Valentine, Pink Floyd...
Married: Yes, 15 going on 16 years.
Kids: 1

Occupation: Adjunct College Instructor and Freelance Graphic Designer
[close]

Cool you're backing ace, what part of the sw u skating these ditches

[close]

Yeah, love my Aces.

I'm actually in the SE. Alabama to be exact.
[close]

Not trying to type cast you, I grew in the geographic center of North America, aka the worst place to get seafood or skate ditches.  I've only skated good ditches in the sw and Texas.  I can only dream of those Alabama ditches

Here's a few pics of the ditches we skate. Four of the five are in close proximity to my house.

Most my homies I skate with range from age 33-41 years old.

Keep Shredding

b.v.

« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2013, 09:10:25 PM »
Damn!

Randozzi

« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2013, 09:13:58 PM »
set up: 8.25 Magenta, 139 Indys (stage 11s), 54mm Prize Fighter
terrain: smallish tranny/banks, smallish ledges and curbs are preferred.
favs: friends, Mike Daher, Stranger, Ibaseta, Rick Howard, Dressen, Gonz, Agha, Jimmy Lannon, Leo Valls, Jake Johnson, many more.
music: jazz, godhead silo, unwound, wu-tang, gravediggaz, sleep, classical, tortoise, black sabbath, buncha shit
married: no
kids: 5 year old girl
job: freelance jerk of a couple trades, but nothing you know, regular.

never been good but i love pushing around cities, empty downtowns and random industrial areas. recently lost some weight and that's helped with my pop and self confidence. feel like i'm skating better than i ever have. granted, that's not saying much.

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2013, 11:53:28 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. I didn't mean to bring the vibe down, I just thought this thread was the right fit to spill what's been on my mind.

I think it's awesome that you brought this up. Aging as a skater is tough because it's such an insanely physical activity & the body just starts not working as well after awhile - no matter how you take care of it.

However, I really agree with the diet stuff that has been mentioned. I skate probably 5-6 times a week but there's no way I could keep that up physically if I was still eating & drinking the way I did in my 20s. Quitting nicotine and caffeine, & getting off processed foods and ANY artificial flavor, coloring, syrup, etc. - that right there got me a massive increase in energy and stamina when I did it in my early 30s. Just stop putting chemicals in your body & watch how good you start feeling.

The bottom line for me is: I will always love the feeling of just pushing and rolling. I still love doing tricks, and I hope to have lots more years of that. But in the end, when I'm too old to flip the board, I'll still love just pushing around some downtown or parking lot somewhere. If you get in touch with that essence of the whole thing (yeah, it's hokey but whatever), you'll always have fun - even if you're not having a good day, trick-wise, or your energy is low or whatever.

Jares

« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2013, 01:12:02 AM »
Set Up: 8.25 Larosa
             53mm Larosa Logos
             Thunder 149's
             Bones Swiss Ceramic

Preferred Terrain: Street
Favorite skaters: Jovante Turner, Rick Howard, Lavar McBride, Nick Jensen, Jason Jesse, Lenwood Kirk.
Music: My Bloody Valentine, MF DOOM, Ariel Pink, New Order, Ride, Das Racist, De La Soul, Flying Lotus.
Married: Naw.
Occupation: Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Photographer... whichever one of those I can make money off of at any given time- HA!

I've been skating off and on forever but just recently I've been trying to get back into it and actually shred a bit. I hurt my knee a while ago and am trying to work my way back up. It sucks because in my mind I can do shit but my body is like, "Yo dude, chill- one step at a time!" I also gained 10lbs after moving to a place where drinking beer is a requirement. I just realized how important the exercise, diet, and stretching reality is...sigh, I wish I would've known about his stuff when I was a young-buck. Now that winter is coming I will be confined to an indoor park, which I hate. Its a constant struggle for dominance with younger dudes who are always in snake mode, and when the BMXers get in the mix. Anybody here have an exercise/diet regiment they are on and would like to share?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 02:36:11 AM by MODERNUS »

chinese weed

• Rep: 55
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2013, 03:51:43 AM »
Set Up: 7.5 Justin Girard New Deal "Rumblefish" slick
             43mm Underworld Element Ducketts
             129 Thunders
             Bones Swiss
             Zero Two sneakers

Preferred Terrain: Parking garages, double-sided curbs, smooth flatground
Favorite skaters: Chris Fissel, Rene Matthyssen, Ron Knigge, Sage Humphries
Music: Beastie Boys, Descendents/All, Naughty By Nature, Black Sheep, Snow, Wreckx-n-Effect‎, Das Efx.
Married: Divorced 4x
Kids: No

Still got pressure flips & slappy noseslide shove-its on lock.
fuck, chill out, mang.

Young Satchel

« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2013, 03:52:26 AM »

The bottom line for me is: I will always love the feeling of just pushing and rolling. I still love doing tricks, and I hope to have lots more years of that. But in the end, when I'm too old to flip the board, I'll still love just pushing around some downtown or parking lot somewhere. If you get in touch with that essence of the whole thing (yeah, it's hokey but whatever), you'll always have fun - even if you're not having a good day, trick-wise, or your energy is low or whatever.

The above is exactly what I didn't understand when I stopped skateboarding in my late teens.  I have a tendency to get easily frustrated with myself if I am not performing at or near what I perceive to be a "high-level" in whatever discipline I'm involved in, be it photography, skateboarding, graffiti, whatever.

Rather than being a "quitter," I will give a thing my all for several years, or even a decade, only to finally decide their is no point in continuing to do it because I will never be "good enough".  Thankfully, I have disabused myself of this habit, and now find myself enjoying the things I love for what they are and the joy they bring me, plain & simple.

Returning to skateboarding has only been possible in light of this change in attitude.  Even if I never get fliptricks back, and never ollie higher than 2' again, I will be content because I have finally found that elusive"essence" you describe; in the most literal meaning of the word: that which is essential.  Fuck the bullshit.