Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301545 times)

the snake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #210 on: December 07, 2013, 12:07:19 AM »
go away from this thread, kids

shredbuffalo

• Rep: -43
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #211 on: December 09, 2013, 06:46:04 PM »
Shark Tits, nice video. Almost nothing beats skating a homemade manny pad/small ledge and rail with a few of your boys.

It's cool that some of you actually talked about and exchanged some information about something useful in here, even if was something as insignificant as orthotic inserts for your broken feet hahaha. The dude that I ride with has really good insurance through his work and he went to a podiatrist and did whatever he had to do there and got himself a ridiculously priced pair of orthotic insoles too. He doesn't use them for his skate shoes...He uses them for his work boots so he can skate when he's not working.

Aside from that, it seems like not much else is really going on around around here...I still think Gravette should have won SOTY and I didn't hate Nyjah's video that much so I don't really have a lot to talk about to people.

beazlocal

• Rep: -28
« Reply #212 on: December 09, 2013, 06:48:17 PM »
what can we discuss?

What was your favorite part from the Life video?

shredbuffalo

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #213 on: December 09, 2013, 07:18:25 PM »
You can discuss anything you want man!!! That's why we're here. If you're like me (and I would guess a few/lot? other people here), you want to talk about skateboarding but don't quite connect with the current generation of skateboarders, so you can come here and get with some dudes who might see things more from your perspective.

Ask a question, make a statement, I guess tell everybody to fuck off if you want to. I'm sure at least a few old dudes would be more than happy to give you their opinion.

shark tits

« Reply #214 on: December 09, 2013, 07:27:17 PM »
Shark Tits, nice video. Almost nothing beats skating a homemade manny pad/small ledge and rail with a few of your boys.

It's cool that some of you actually talked about and exchanged some information about something useful in here, even if was something as insignificant as orthotic inserts for your broken feet hahaha. The dude that I ride with has really good insurance through his work and he went to a podiatrist and did whatever he had to do there and got himself a ridiculously priced pair of orthotic insoles too. He doesn't use them for his skate shoes...He uses them for his work boots so he can skate when he's not working.

Aside from that, it seems like not much else is really going on around around here...I still think Gravette should have won SOTY and I didn't hate Nyjah's video that much so I don't really have a lot to talk about to people.

thanks and i liked that insoles talk too. i cut and pasted it to my sister who's got a post car accident limp so maybe she can get some mileage off it. i'm fountain of youth, healthwise but all my sisters break their legs and shit. so tonight we're rained into a 20 x 10 ft square area talkin about 'let's play SKATE.' my buddy tries to match halfcab flip but his board falls down into the basement. i had to climb down a pole and opened a door to let my friends in, we found a new floor that stays dry[er] and it comes w/ wood for sketchy mannies. spagtacular!

beazlocal

« Reply #215 on: December 09, 2013, 07:29:25 PM »
I have a lot less of a hard time connecting with the current kid generation of skating than I do with people of my own age, who don't skate, and never skated.

for instance. I'm a married grown ass man, with kids, and a "responsible" job. I hate my job, more than anything, but I have mouths to feed and a mortgage to pay, so I do it. I don't like anything about it, and hate talking about it.

I'm a skate rat, plain and simple, I like the same stuff now, that I liked when I was 12, skateboarding, and certain music.

Now that I have kids, who are at ages where they play with kids from school, we've had to go to a few "social" things. I fucking hate it. I have nothing in common with these people, other than the fact we have kids. I find it hard to talk about much, because not a lot outside of my kids, skateboarding, and bad music interests me to this day. I still wear skate gear, while the other grown up's are so far removed from my idea of a lifestyle.

Sorry for the rant, I guess i'm trying to say growing up and old sucks

piece of shit, straight up.

• Rep: -182
« Reply #216 on: December 09, 2013, 07:44:06 PM »
I have a lot less of a hard time connecting with the current kid generation of skating than I do with people of my own age, who don't skate, and never skated.

for instance. I'm a married grown ass man, with kids, and a "responsible" job. I hate my job, more than anything, but I have mouths to feed and a mortgage to pay, so I do it. I don't like anything about it, and hate talking about it.

I'm a skate rat, plain and simple, I like the same stuff now, that I liked when I was 12, skateboarding, and certain music.

Now that I have kids, who are at ages where they play with kids from school, we've had to go to a few "social" things. I fucking hate it. I have nothing in common with these people, other than the fact we have kids. I find it hard to talk about much, because not a lot outside of my kids, skateboarding, and bad music interests me to this day. I still wear skate gear, while the other grown up's are so far removed from my idea of a lifestyle.

This interesting, I'm not that old yet, but I sympathize. It's funny, we're told all through our youth do what you love, find your passion etc, but it's kind of b/s,  especially if your passions don't really lead to stable careers, sure if your passion is Math, it's different. Skating, art, music , whatever, you have to realize one day you can't do them 8 hours a day, and you have to take up generic work. I'm at this point now, but at least there is weekends, I also don't have kids.

beazlocal

« Reply #217 on: December 09, 2013, 07:48:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This interesting, I'm not that old yet, but I sympathize. It's funny, we're told all through our youth do what you love, find your passion etc, but it's kind of b/s,?  especially if your passions don't really lead to stable careers, sure if your passion is Math, it's different. Skating, art, music , whatever, you have to realize one day you can't do them 8 hours a day, and you have to take up generic work. I'm at this point now, but at least there is weekends, I also don't have kids.

As I've gotten older I've learned that very few people do "what they love", and many of those that say they do, are likely full of shit. Everything I love, I can't earn a living to support a family with. I chose to have a family, and would NEVER change that, but doing things I love to do ain't going to cut it.

b.v.

« Reply #218 on: December 09, 2013, 08:12:04 PM »

I understand. Relating is so tough, i have to be social at my job but fear A one on one with the tucked in turtleneck, Dave Matthews listening, weekend warrior who rode his kids long board trying to relate to me at some social function.

shredbuffalo

« Reply #219 on: December 09, 2013, 08:20:09 PM »
And, to get this thread going again, I'll ask a few questions and see what you guys have to say...

1. Do you feel like you fit in with today's generation of skateboarders? If no, why?
2. Top 5 songs to listen to on the way to a session
3. In the last month, what single trick have you done that you're most proud of, and which one has been driving you crazy?

1. I feel 100% out of place with skaters today. I hate to be the old dude who says, "back in my day", but I can't help it...For me skateboarding will always be about a mindset that involves friendship, a look, music, and a feeling that I don't share with these younger dudes. I go to spots and the park, and while some people are nice, I have nothing in common with them aside from the fact that we ride a skateboard. I would have no interest in talking to them again once we left that session. And I feel that a lot of the pros (not all) that have been in the spotlight in recent years are the same type of people. I don't look like them, I don't dress like them, I don't listen to the same music as them, and I definitely don't skate like them. I'm not a "hater" or a bitter old man. I love skating and I love watching good skating from just about anyone. I just don't feel like I'm one of them.

2. 1. Strike Anywhere-Spectacular
    2 .Head On Collision-Permanent Damamge
    3. Earthless-Jull
    4. UGK ft. Outkast-International Players Anthem
    5. Terror-Stay Free

3. Since I live in a frozen hellhole, I've been condemned to the indoor park twice a week for the last month. I won't say that I'm not grateful that it's there, but I fucking hate skateparks and I'm already tired of going there! Anyhow, the past three times that I've been there I landed a varial heel, or heelflip shuvit, whatever you like to call it, up the Euro gap. I had to put in a little work, but not too much. It's not a big deal to any of the dudes there who are really good, or even my friend who's been doing them for a long time, but for me they were a big accomplishment and made me feel good.
What's driving me crazy? I decided that because I can varial heel up the Euro I should be able to frontside heelflip up it too, right? Wrong! The last two times I've been there I've tried it over and over again and the results have been all over the place. I've done it perfectly and landed with my front (back) foot on the bolts and my back (front) foot right behind the tail (nose). I'll stick it and slide out on the dusty masonite. I'll land primo. I'll half flip it and perfectly catch it. I'll fling my board 5 feet away from me somehow. I even rolled my ankle/fucked up my foot doing it (not too bad thankfully)....But one thing remains constant: No matter how many times I've tried it, I haven't landed a clean one one and ridden away.

****EDIT: Hahahaha. I see you guys got it going again while I was slowly typing this with my gimpy hand. Right on.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:26:41 PM by shredbuffalo »

beazlocal

« Reply #220 on: December 09, 2013, 08:27:45 PM »
Shred, to answer one of your questions, I'm hit and miss when it comes to relating to today's skaters, a lot has to do with age and where we're at in life, but a big part for me is that i'm almost 38, and I don't look at the young kids skating today and seeing kids that will be lifers, always skating. I don't see the same thing I think I felt and saw in myself in those days.

b.v.

« Reply #221 on: December 09, 2013, 08:30:35 PM »
And, to get this thread going again, I'll ask a few questions and see what you guys have to say...

1. Do you feel like you fit in with today's generation of skateboarders? If no, why?
I don't think I fit in anywhere, but our scene is really diverse and I have a lot of friends who are all ages. I watch all the current parts and try to keep up with industry stuff to stay semi relevant.
Uhhhh my ipod is always on shuffle.
3. In the last month, what single trick have you done that you're most proud of, and which one has been driving you crazy?
Having been injured and not laying off it had gotten to the point where I am relegated to curbs and small transitions, but a few weeks ago I landed A decent noseblunt on my qp in my garage. Also re learned fs pivot fakie. Mostly I am stoked to hit A park and not be intimidated to do my standard tricks on something new. Usually it's A slow tortuous warm up to build confidence, but lately I have just been charging it.
My ledge tricks have all but dissipated so I'd say anything backside really. Nose mannys too, I watch kids do them like they're asleep at the wheel. Seems like I have lead on my nose or something.  

dillanharp

« Reply #222 on: December 09, 2013, 09:13:39 PM »
1.  I'm 31 and I'm finally mature enough to make my way through community college and transfer with my AA to a state school, I have to deal with 18 year old kids every day.  I don't get it, even the skateboarders.  They grew up with parks and their parents accepting it as a "hobby."  I didn't even have the internet until I was 22. We had a hometown hero that would come back every few months with videos we could bootleg.  This generation spoiled.  In my poli sci class a few weeks ago the professor posed the question, you can do what you love and make $20k a year or work a job you absolutely hate and not have to worry about money.  I WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT CHOSE THE LATER, in a class of 100 students.  I have a family I need to support, and if it weren't for the GI BillI wouldn't even be there.  Fuck these kids.

2.  1. GZA - 4th Chamber
     2. Pallbearer - Foreigner
     3. Saviours - Cavern of Mind
     4. Currensy - Airborne Aquarium
     5. Beastie Boys - Any

3.  I did a pretty nice front noseslide a few weeks back...  I'm coming off a break so my shit's pretty rusty and I'm not exactly out there every day.  I try to get in a sesh with the pal tangar once a week at least but our schedules have been off.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:15:16 PM by Nallid »

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #223 on: December 09, 2013, 09:38:17 PM »
1. Do you feel like you fit in with today's generation of skateboarders?

Other than being in very different places in life, I don't feel completely removed from them. Though, there is some distance. However, I rarely talk to them about anything that doesn't concern skateboarding. So, the only real differences we come across are experience, agility and energy.

I'm not picky anymore.

Remember my first post in this thread where I was basically having a life crisis over skateboarding? Well, a few weeks back I got one of those beloved miracle days where you can pretty much do whatever you want. Shit came out of nowhere. All sorts of flip tricks, tech ledge combos, manuals, and I even put a few together ala Brezinski. For one day I was able to just skate. Total comfort. But don't worry, I'm now back to avoiding flip tricks and trying to catch my breath after grinding some tranny.  :D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:39:50 PM by Iceman »

shark tits

« Reply #224 on: December 09, 2013, 09:44:50 PM »

i don't really 'fit in' w/ people too much. they think i'm 'interesting' for riding trains or maybe they think i'm a person for still skating/not having a job. suck a dick people, i can wallie so i'm above reproach. kids prolly think it's rad to still be skating but i feel weird about talking to kids just cause they skate. more comfortable w/ my couple 30something buddies. i'm from the era where skating wasn't cool so i think people are brainwashed when they're like 'oh that's cool'. whatever girl, gimme a handjob.

best 5 songs are anything on college radio. grandaddy 1080, desert/tundra by modest mouse, bizarre love triangle by frente or true faith by new order. 5? i don't know, i like the mystery of college radio.

recently halfcab feeble stokes me out the most cause it reminds me of PJ's sponsor me tape and it's new. fs tailslide feels the best and wallies are awesome.
nothing drives me crazy offhand but every time i skate it's a battle.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #225 on: December 10, 2013, 12:47:24 AM »

the same thing happens to me sometime (meeting other parents I have nothing to say to).
But then I think it's good to broaden our horizons past skating too, after 30.... I'm a skate rat at heart, but that's not all I wanna be. So, I play bass (was in a few bands), collect vinyls, do scuba diving, some snowboarding....just other things!

olden intheway

« Reply #226 on: December 10, 2013, 08:29:05 AM »
8.25 Antihero
57mm spitfires
Indy 159's for life
Divroced w 2 kids
Anything diy, backyard pools, ditches, painted curbs, bombing hills
I can still ollie up most curbs
I work in construction management.
Born and raised in So Cal.
Skating since 1976
Favskaters: Gonz, Lance, Chris Miller, Raybourn, Grosso, Josh Borden

Been in the game a long time and feel like I still have the skate stoke of a 13 year old.
I highly recommend yoga to anyone who wants to skate into the golden years. Staying limber for me is a huge priority. Not only that but yoga classes are usually filled with chicks.....chicks wearing see-thru lululemon tights. Namaste bitches

dgus138

• Rep: 7
    • Plains Hardware avatar image
« Reply #227 on: December 10, 2013, 09:24:52 AM »
I'm a married grown ass man, with kids, and a "responsible" job. I hate my job, more than anything, but I have mouths to feed and a mortgage to pay, so I do it. I don't like anything about it, and hate talking about it.

Now that I have kids, who are at ages where they play with kids from school, we've had to go to a few "social" things. I fucking hate it. I have nothing in common with these people, other than the fact we have kids. I find it hard to talk about much, because not a lot outside of my kids, skateboarding, and bad music interests me to this day. I still wear skate gear, while the other grown ups are so far removed from my idea of a lifestyle.
This.

1. Do you feel like you fit in with today's generation of skateboarders?

I can relate to the younger generation that's into the more 90's style of skating that's popular right now, Polar/Palace/Magenta type stuff. Skating for fun will never go out of style. Still can't relate to a lot of what kids are down with these days though with the writing on the griptape and headphones at the session and filming at skateparks all the time. I rarely feel like I fit in anywhere though.

Songs don't matter to me as much as I just like the music. Sometimes silence is nice too.

I think it's been a month since I got to skate, there's half a foot of snow outside right now that's not going anywhere and we don't have an indoor park here so I'm stuck debating heading into the underground parking garages but that's another problem altogether. Last trick I got before the snow was switch 50-50s which were feeling pretty good. I've been trying to relearn frontside noseslides and they've been driving me pretty crazy.

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #228 on: December 10, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »
1) Yeah. I street skate with a lot of younger guys and they're all cool. 

2) Anything by Slayer, old Metallica, Testament...  any good thrash metal

3) Probably a kickflip back noseblunt on a 3 ft quarter.  Haven't been able to street skate here for almost 2 months.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #229 on: December 10, 2013, 04:09:03 PM »
1 - i'm guessing by current generation you mean the young kids?  i would say i don't "fit in" but there are plenty of young dudes i enjoy skating with.  i think the cool thing about skating right now is it seems like there is a lot of crossover - with styles and ages.  i guess i'm lucky to live in southern california because there are plenty of older rippers here skating.   usually when i skate it's a cross section of all generations at once.  at least at parks

2 - depends on what i'm listening to at the time.  i like the new arcade fire (side 2 more than 1).  i don't keep up on music as much as i used to

3 - i pulled a frontside 5-0 stall on a pretty tall thing when i was in hawaii. the tallest i've done anyway (i'm guessing 8 feet or so).  was stoked to overcome that after many tries.    5-0 grinds still drive me crazy.  still can't come in.  it's a mind fuck.  hopefully some day i will have those on lock and be past this never ending battle

bonus old man footy:

IMG_1197
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9795061@N08/9743020940/#secret172809dfda]IMG_5496
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:17:45 PM by floop »
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #230 on: December 11, 2013, 04:13:46 AM »
1. I guess. I relate as much now as I did BITD it's just I know less crew but most 18 to 20's I meet that are skating keep the same vibe. One thing I've noticed though is that despite this being the Information Age I do meet some guys with a lack of knowledge on skate/spot/trick/product history and I don't mean beyond their years but stuff that should be in there spectrum. I think web clips have taken away from the magazines and the reading involved. When you read it I think it sinks in deeper than just watching the video and a good photo can often be more prolific than the footage. Think Matt Hensley underpass fs ollie or the cowboy hat ollie, its not often people talk about photos even covers like they used to. Dane Burman's Philly rail will be remembered because of Cold War more than the Thrasher cover despite it being monumental (admittedly the photo didnt quite do it justice). I am at heart a true skate nerd so this might just be me.

2. Music has always been hard for me to pin down as a like a really broad spectrum of genres but am pretty picky about what I deem to be great not good. 90's hip hop, real punk, post punk, classic rock/metal, left field, electronica, blues, blue grass, Detroit techno, Chicago house, certain pop tracks, if I like it it doesn't matter to me who else likes it. The older I get the more I appreciate the subtleties in production and restraint in musicianship. I've been bumping some Hall and Oats lately, Bobby Womack, Jeru, Dischord back catalog, Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson mixes, Baron Zen.

3. Tricks have been hard to come by lately as I'm still rehabbing from a shoulder reconstruction. Skating a lot of flat ground I've really enjoyed getting proper kickflips back. I do them a little different than most and to me they are beautiful and really satisfying. FS 360 ollies too. Other than that half can noseslides, fs noseslides and fakie ollie tailslides both ways are feeling good. Old man footage will have to wait until we get some better weather and my shoulder feels more comfortable.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #231 on: December 11, 2013, 05:58:56 AM »
floop, nice lipslide man!
Here's my mini-contribution to old man footy:

IMG_0545

this is me struggling to get a grind in the Antwerp pool. That thing is super-steep (built by Team Pain)... Being European I had never skated a pool before, only skatepark bowls, and I've got a whole new level of respect for backyard rippers now!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 06:05:39 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

b.v.

« Reply #232 on: December 11, 2013, 07:48:31 AM »
All I do is skate curbs anymore.
http://youtu.be/FBtS1BVMA7Y
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:50:06 AM by b.v. »

Brett

• Rep: -14
« Reply #233 on: December 11, 2013, 08:07:24 AM »

1. I feel 100% out of place with skaters today. I hate to be the old dude who says, "back in my day", but I can't help it...For me skateboarding will always be about a mindset that involves friendship, a look, music, and a feeling that I don't share with these younger dudes. I go to spots and the park, and while some people are nice, I have nothing in common with them aside from the fact that we ride a skateboard. I would have no interest in talking to them again once we left that session. And I feel that a lot of the pros (not all) that have been in the spotlight in recent years are the same type of people. I don't look like them, I don't dress like them, I don't listen to the same music as them, and I definitely don't skate like them. I'm not a "hater" or a bitter old man. I love skating and I love watching good skating from just about anyone. I just don't feel like I'm one of them.

2 .Head On Collision-Permanent Damamge
    3. Earthless-Jull
    4. UGK ft. Outkast-International Players Anthem
    5. Terror-Stay Free

3. Since I live in a frozen hellhole, I've been condemned to the indoor park twice a week for the last month. I won't say that I'm not grateful that it's there, but I fucking hate skateparks and I'm already tired of going there! Anyhow, the past three times that I've been there I landed a varial heel, or heelflip shuvit, whatever you like to call it, up the Euro gap. I had to put in a little work, but not too much. It's not a big deal to any of the dudes there who are really good, or even my friend who's been doing them for a long time, but for me they were a big accomplishment and made me feel good.
What's driving me crazy? I decided that because I can varial heel up the Euro I should be able to frontside heelflip up it too, right? Wrong! The last two times I've been there I've tried it over and over again and the results have been all over the place. I've done it perfectly and landed with my front (back) foot on the bolts and my back (front) foot right behind the tail (nose). I'll stick it and slide out on the dusty masonite. I'll land primo. I'll half flip it and perfectly catch it. I'll fling my board 5 feet away from me somehow. I even rolled my ankle/fucked up my foot doing it (not too bad thankfully)....But one thing remains constant: No matter how many times I've tried it, I haven't landed a clean one one and ridden away.

****EDIT: Hahahaha. I see you guys got it going again while I was slowly typing this with my gimpy hand. Right on.

1. Never really cared about fitting in with the kids, some of them look at me sideways still to this day. As a ex park owner, I had a little influence on several people in our area good or bad, I tried. I was or still am both loved and hated due to the park that I built and that I should mention has closed down close to a year ago. I tried to keep it as core as I could and didn't add a shop till a few years in. I made plenty of friends as we all have one thing in common?Skateboarding!
I must admit, skating with and watching Jon Cos, Ben Paterson, Lee Yankou and Zack Ferguson (along with plenty of others) grow up shredding has made me want to do it that much more. I know my limits but that doesn't mean I can't learn something new? step by step!
2. Sabbath 1-5
3. I still love my smith grinds probably cause I can't do anything else. And I still hate kick flips!

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #234 on: December 11, 2013, 08:22:42 AM »
1 - i'm guessing by current generation you mean the young kids?  i would say i don't "fit in" but there are plenty of young dudes i enjoy skating with.  i think the cool thing about skating right now is it seems like there is a lot of crossover - with styles and ages.  i guess i'm lucky to live in southern california because there are plenty of older rippers here skating.   usually when i skate it's a cross section of all generations at once.  at least at parks

2 - depends on what i'm listening to at the time.  i like the new arcade fire (side 2 more than 1).  i don't keep up on music as much as i used to

3 - i pulled a frontside 5-0 stall on a pretty tall thing when i was in hawaii. the tallest i've done anyway (i'm guessing 8 feet or so).  was stoked to overcome that after many tries.    5-0 grinds still drive me crazy.  still can't come in.  it's a mind fuck.  hopefully some day i will have those on lock and be past this never ending battle

bonus old man footy:

IMG_1197
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9795061@N08/9743020940/#secret172809dfda]IMG_5496
Static cam, self filmed? Classic old man stuff. Rad.

twistingtheknife666

• Rep: 0
« Reply #235 on: December 11, 2013, 08:53:29 AM »

1. I'll turn 38 at the end of the month, most kids I interact with annoy the shit out of me. They all want to play SKATE (berrics rules-haha) seem to be uber concerned with sponsorships, having the cool threads and keeping up with all the trends. I do occasionally run across the random kid at the park or just out rolling around that restores my faith in skateboarding and our little community. I also can usually tell who the lifers are compared to the guys you know are going to quit as soon as they get a girlfriend, car, drug habit, etc.  Being a "grown ass man" as many have pointed out makes it hard to have much in common with a 15 year old, other than skating, but that's how it's supposed to be. The young guys coming up shouldn't respect us old farts or where we're coming from. Fuck us, we're adults and shouldn't be trusted! We with our mortgages, jobs, wives and kids. I don't expect or think they should give a damn about our generation, but if they do that's great too. But really I don't care what some 12 year old thinks and don't care if we can relate or not.  I don't fit in with my adult peers either though. That's why it's awesome to meet other old fucks who are still skate rats at heart. I do appreciate where skating has gone, kids today are fucking nuts and I get stoked seeing them do things that my generation never even considered possible. Though for the last several years I've been more into watching videos of guys skating for fun, Tim and Eric, the Wiskate guys, stuff like that.

2. Lately I've been listening to Red Fang quite a bit, but I still like all the stuff I grew up skating to-Old DRI, Dead Milkmen, Fugazi, all the punk bands I grew up with, Naked Raygun's Understand album gets a lot of play when I'm on the ramp. DESCENDENTS, 7-seconds, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat. Shit that makes me sound like I'm some punk stuck in the 80's, really I'm not, I like a lot of new stuff but all those guys made some great records to skate to.

3. Haven't done a lot of skating in the last month due to winter weather-snow, ice and cold but on the last warm day we had I ollied this little natural pyramid I've been wanting to clear for a long time. It's not a huge gap, but It's at the corner of this little strip mall down the street from me, had to push like a mofo and clear a parking curb, over the corner of the sidewalk and over another parking curb. That felt really good, I tried to kickflip it but that didn't happen... The one trick that's been killing me is 360 flips. I had them down fairly well with skinnier boards-like 7.75 but lately I've been skating 8.25-8.5 decks and I just can't get them!! I have a skinny board set up and can do them on it, but I guess my old man legs just won't let me flick the bigger decks as easily. It's pissing me off, but it's been something I can try in the garage while I'm waiting for the snow to melt.

shredbuffalo

« Reply #236 on: December 11, 2013, 09:19:23 AM »
Thanks for sharing the footy guys. Keep it coming!
B.V.: The FS Slappy/No Compy/Tailside combo and long ass Slappy Feeble were gnarly!
Floop: Nice Manny and Lipslide. I've been slowly getting more into riding transition lately and footage like that gets me stoked.
OBF: You were right there man! You looked like you felt really good in there and you had good carving lines even though you said it was really steep and scary. I've never had the opportunity to skate a real pool or even a decent bowl living where I do, and I know it's not easy to even carve around in one, so I have tons of respect for anyone who does it.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #237 on: December 11, 2013, 05:51:31 PM »

? ? ? 2. Head On Collision-Permanent Damamge .
 ? ? ? 3. Earthless-Jull
 ? ? ? 4. UGK ft. Outkast-International Players Anthem
 ? ? ? 5. Terror-Stay Free

1) I don't give a lot of attention to the current generation of guys. I know they are amazing at tricks (not much style in my opinion anymore!) , but I don't need to see a bunch of kids in tight jeans , all doing the same tricks, with the same lack of style. Again, my opinion! I collected Thrashers/Transworlds from '86 till about 2009, now I just buy a mag if it's got one of us "old guys" in it, that I can read about. All the instant net footage stuff bores me, YET I understand that this is the current times. I just think it's weird and I'm sure this is mostly my refusal to "get with the times" but to me if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I prefer 86-99 mostly!

2) Fang - anything by them
 ?  ? the Accused - anything with Blaine on vocals!
 ?  ? Septic Death - anything
 ?  ? Suicidal - mostly the older stuff.... s/t and Join the Army mostly!
 ?  ? DRI - Dealing With it album

3) I did a varial heelflip that I felt was pretty clean a few weeks ago. I tend to be proud of any switch tricks in the last 2 years, because admittedly haven't kept up with my switch "skills" !

P.S. that band Head on Collision, I'm friends with the drummer and you will be happy to know that he skates. We skated a lot together for a good 5-7 years or so. He's currently in a band called "Who Fucking Cares?". The guitarist/singer of Head on Collision has a few things going I hear, one being "Lucifer D. Larynx and the Satanic Grind Dogs of Death". He was once in a band called "Very Metal" that is my favorite local (St Louis) band of all time!

I forgot, before HOC ended, they had started recording a new album and it was going to be awesome. Somewhere I have the lyricless tracks, and it was going to be awesome. A shame they broke up... they were the best band in STL since Very Metal broke up. (Cross Examination is good too!)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 06:05:54 PM by fang »

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #238 on: December 11, 2013, 06:03:20 PM »
since i'm late to the craigslist ads....

Set Up: Consolidated 7 7/8"
            Thunder 145 lo's !
            Spitfire Classics 53mm
            Jessup + SF burner bearings
Preferred Terrain: Street, banks!!!, ditches and mini
Favorite skaters: Gator ( ! ) , Hosoi, Bill Danforth, Fred Smith, Eric Dressen, Jason Jessee, Hensley, Way, Sheffey, Mike Carroll, Guy Mariano, Gino Iannucci, Alan Peterson, Julien Stranger, Cardiel, Andy Roy, Scott Bourne, Jay Boy, Duane, other guys i'm forgetting
Music: Fang, Suicidal, Septic Death, the Accused, DRI, SOD, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Black Flag, Drunk Injuns, Christ on Parade, etc
Married: 3 years so far!
Kids: working on it!
Pants: Ones that fit regular and some baggy, no tight pants. Ever.
Fave videos: Consolidated during Jessee era, Plan B's Questionable, Girl - Mouse, old Santa Cruz videos, Anti Hero vids!

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #239 on: December 11, 2013, 06:13:20 PM »
Expand Quote
wtf are 20 year olds doing in this thread? i wanna post my skate bio too but im not old enough. u have to wait if i have to wait
[close]
Being old I'd like the new black high waters, everyone wants in.

old is a relative term. technically, in terms of real life, thirty, forty years of age is not old. in terms of skating, being over twenty and still skating, specifically if you're not hooked up or really, really good, then yes, you are old.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.