Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301544 times)

SodaJerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #450 on: February 11, 2014, 01:01:04 AM »
Yeah, I could see the similarities in their style  Frenchie. 
The idea was actually pretty genius by Stacy.  Many of us ex-pros, TM's and what not are at the contest anyways, so he said we should get off our fat-asses and get busy for a contest.  It's been pretty fun...like I said...just to actually try.  Sometimes at 41 years old that you need that extra motivation to really get going.  I'm sure that's one of the reasons that on a MUCH larger stage and extent the Vans Combi contest is so good.  All these vets really don't want to look too silly out there and most of them just downright kill it.  Just takes a little motivation these days. 
Rothdigga, Santa Cruz X Star Wars decks. Your reactions please?

rothdigga

• Rep: 565
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #451 on: February 11, 2014, 09:29:07 AM »
Sodajerk...
20 years too late I would say.  We could have done a lot more than the Star Wars graphic I had.  Although I do like the simplicity.  Seeing COS players walking around Agenda as Darth Vader and Leia was a bit much for me. 

SHARPSHOOTER

« Reply #452 on: February 11, 2014, 09:35:36 AM »
I actually hate seniors. Nothing is more unsettling to a black man then a room full of old white people. I just like to assume they're all old, ignorant, racist xenophobes. Is there something wrong with that?

shark tits

« Reply #453 on: February 11, 2014, 09:46:19 AM »
I actually hate seniors. Nothing is more unsettling to a black man then a room full of old white people. I just like to assume they're all old, ignorant, racist xenophobes. Is there something wrong with that?
i think that sometimes too, especially in the south. but by the same token when i see brett the hitman hart i thought you were a white canadian wrestling fan so i guess i'm as ignorant as everyone i think is ignorant.

stickman1980

• Rep: 0
« Reply #454 on: February 11, 2014, 09:55:05 PM »
Frenchie...
We've been doing the Tampa VIP/Team Manager/Old Man contest for about 8-9 years now.  It was actually Stacy Lowery's idea to do it a long time ago.  Fun stuff, makes you actually try to land things you haven't done in a long time.  There's some good dudes in that clip.  Josh Friedberg is in there, Ira (filmer that did the 360 flip over the hip), Zitzer with the super good ollie off the extension, Brink, Kevin Wilkins etc.  It's a fun event.  Time for me to get my legs back, it's coming up in 1 month!

Can any kinda published filmer/photographer skate in this?

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #455 on: February 12, 2014, 09:42:10 AM »
Stoked to see my friend Adam in that clip from 2010. That's an awesome idea for a contest.

Useful Idiot

• Rep: 24
« Reply #456 on: February 12, 2014, 12:25:58 PM »
Skate with Zitzer from time to time. Super nice dude. Slays vert.
You loves you? Megatron.

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #457 on: February 12, 2014, 03:27:10 PM »

Just made the mistake of going to the grocery store on "senior discount day". Never again.  Fuckin fiasco of can-browsing and cart traffic Jams in every aisle.

rothdigga

« Reply #458 on: February 12, 2014, 05:07:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Frenchie...
We've been doing the Tampa VIP/Team Manager/Old Man contest for about 8-9 years now.?  It was actually Stacy Lowery's idea to do it a long time ago.?  Fun stuff, makes you actually try to land things you haven't done in a long time.?  There's some good dudes in that clip.?  Josh Friedberg is in there, Ira (filmer that did the 360 flip over the hip), Zitzer with the super good ollie off the extension, Brink, Kevin Wilkins etc.?  It's a fun event.?  Time for me to get my legs back, it's coming up in 1 month!
[close]

Stickman,
Anyone who is over 30 can skate in it really.  Just homies who are in the industry and want to get down.  I do remember someone being a TM at like 24 years old entering one time.  Like he had just got done skating Tampa Am the year before and was a TM now and entered for some reason.  He did a kickflip back noseblunt down one of the rails and it was so awkward cause we're all out there struggling on getting onto the ledge and dude is dropping HAMMERS.  He kind of got clowned on the mic and didn't skate a 2nd run.  Like entering a beginner contest when you're pro.  Got to know your place a little bit. 
But to answer your question...yeah.  Filmers are totally welcome! 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #459 on: February 12, 2014, 10:42:40 PM »
I think there should be a handicap.....

rothdigga

« Reply #460 on: February 15, 2014, 03:10:20 PM »
I think there should be a handicap.....

A weight belt/ankle weights would be funny for rippers...or a fat suit.  Or just Tonya Harding pole bashing 20 year old dudes who try to enter and giving them old man knees...

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
« Reply #461 on: February 15, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Frenchie...
We've been doing the Tampa VIP/Team Manager/Old Man contest for about 8-9 years now.?  It was actually Stacy Lowery's idea to do it a long time ago.?  Fun stuff, makes you actually try to land things you haven't done in a long time.?  There's some good dudes in that clip.?  Josh Friedberg is in there, Ira (filmer that did the 360 flip over the hip), Zitzer with the super good ollie off the extension, Brink, Kevin Wilkins etc.?  It's a fun event.?  Time for me to get my legs back, it's coming up in 1 month!
[close]

[close]

Stickman,
Anyone who is over 30 can skate in it really.  Just homies who are in the industry and want to get down.  I do remember someone being a TM at like 24 years old entering one time.  Like he had just got done skating Tampa Am the year before and was a TM now and entered for some reason.  He did a kickflip back noseblunt down one of the rails and it was so awkward cause we're all out there struggling on getting onto the ledge and dude is dropping HAMMERS.  He kind of got clowned on the mic and didn't skate a 2nd run.  Like entering a beginner contest when you're pro.  Got to know your place a little bit. 
But to answer your question...yeah.  Filmers are totally welcome! 

lol at the bold!  So funny.

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #462 on: February 16, 2014, 07:24:14 AM »
Yeah, I could see the similarities in their style?  Frenchie.? 
The idea was actually pretty genius by Stacy.?  Many of us ex-pros, TM's and what not are at the contest anyways, so he said we should get off our fat-asses and get busy for a contest.?  It's been pretty fun...like I said...just to actually try.?  Sometimes at 41 years old that you need that extra motivation to really get going.?  I'm sure that's one of the reasons that on a MUCH larger stage and extent the Vans Combi contest is so good.?  All these vets really don't want to look too silly out there and most of them just downright kill it.?  Just takes a little motivation these days.? 
Seen my boy Bob Reynolds in the top 3 too I think! Representing the NC!
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

shredbuffalo

• Rep: -43
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #463 on: February 16, 2014, 08:07:20 AM »
It's Sunday...Get your old bones warmed up, get out there and get some, and come home and tell the rest of us about it. I've had it with the indoor park and can't wait for Spring, but I gotta make the best with what I've got right now.

wildbillhiccup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -78
  • JACKASS
« Reply #464 on: February 16, 2014, 08:16:13 AM »
can i make a young dudes post up here thread. im 5

Young Satchel

« Reply #465 on: February 16, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »
It's Sunday...Get your old bones warmed up, get out there and get some, and come home and tell the rest of us about it. I've had it with the indoor park and can't wait for Spring, but I gotta make the best with what I've got right now.

Got out there for a couple-mile hike in 2'+ powder to a frozen waterfall on snowshoes with a 30lb baby strapped to me.

Cross training?

sans umbilical

• Rep: 24
« Reply #466 on: February 16, 2014, 10:02:50 PM »

My city is usually dead on Sunday's. I parked my car at the local skate shop then skated around the metro area. I was by myself because most of the guys I skate with were either injured or working. Since I was alone, I stopped and took pics of graffiti on trains going by and also took the elevator up a parking deck. I sat on top of the parking deck for a while and shot more photos, then I cruised down the 8 levels. Security came after me around level 4 but I beat him to the bottom and kept going down the street.

All in all, fun day. We've had some cold temps the past week but it was 65 today. It was a beautiful day to skate in Alabama.

*I suppose this pic is the equivalent to a skate selfie but I shot it while cruising down the street.
Keep Shredding

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #467 on: February 17, 2014, 12:33:00 AM »
Quote from: sans umbilical  link=topic=74338.msg2092611#msg2092611 date=1392616970
Expand Quote
[close]

My city is usually dead on Sunday's. I parked my car at the local skate shop then skated around the metro area. I was by myself because most of the guys I skate with were either injured or working. Since I was alone, I stopped and took pics of graffiti on trains going by and also took the elevator up a parking deck. I sat on top of the parking deck for a while and shot more photos, then I cruised down the 8 levels. Security came after me around level 4 but I beat him to the bottom and kept going down the street.

All in all, fun day. We've had some cold temps the past week but it was 65 today. It was a beautiful day to skate in Alabama.

*I suppose this pic is the equivalent to a skate selfie but I shot it while cruising down the street.

classic old dude right there.
as for me I went biking with my oldest son, it was fun.....he's just learned biking properly and I'm still trying to master wheelies on a mountain bike ha! nice way of rehabbing my ankle too. first session should come soon, in march!

Young Satchel

« Reply #468 on: February 17, 2014, 03:30:30 AM »
Quote from: sans umbilical  link=topic=74338.msg2092611#msg2092611 date=1392616970
Expand Quote
[close]

Sounds like a rad Sunday cruise. Confused the shit out of me with the "graffiti on trains going by", until you said Alabama and I realized you must be talkin freights. Nice selfie too brah  8)

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #469 on: February 24, 2014, 09:52:25 AM »
Skated for a good 40 minutes yesterday with the semi-warm weather the east coast had this weekend, in the high 40's. It was like skating on the beach with all the sand. Woke up this morning with a spasm on my left thigh. Popping a good feeling ollie is my nemesis these days.

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #470 on: March 07, 2014, 11:34:37 AM »
Actually been able to skate 4 out of the last 5 days, despite temps mostly being in the 20s & below. At one point today I rolled by a high school & saw some kids watching me out their classroom window.

All these years later I still remember so clearly staring out the window of some classroom, the teacher droning on, & me desperately wanting to be outside skating. Now, here I am, 41 years old, & I still get this giddy, "playing hooky" kinda feeling when I roll by a school in the middle of the day.

Like: haha, I don't have to go to school & you do....

Real mature, right?: )

Spike Hawke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #471 on: March 07, 2014, 01:42:23 PM »
A good sesh down the local indoor park today with a few other "oldies". Totally fucked now though. Didn't do my warm down stretches so I'm regretting it.

Young Satchel

« Reply #472 on: March 07, 2014, 03:39:48 PM »
What did you say, Spike? Distracted by that spot in your sig  :)

FFL

• Rep: 0
« Reply #473 on: March 07, 2014, 04:43:45 PM »
I am very late for the introduction, but fuck it.

40 yrs old started skating 1988
7.6" Girl Kenny Anderson
129 Indy
50 mm Bones Wheels

missing the crew from the past. I hate to skate on my own. The usual "session" ends after 5 mins cause of pure frustration. Half a year ago I met  up with two mates from the past a we had a wicked session. That feeling was unbeatable, like the complete skate rush. We had a couple beers after it got to dark to skate ( we didn't bring a generator, cause we thought we old fucks wouldn't sesh too long). That day was perfect, was absolutly worth the 2 days of sour muscles and pain. Wish we could meet more often, but we live all over the country hard to keep in touch with work family etc.

Wayne Regretzky

« Reply #474 on: March 07, 2014, 07:49:19 PM »

7.6" Girl Kenny Anderson
129 Indy
50 mm Bones Wheels

missing the crew from the past. I hate to skate on my own. The usual "session" ends after 5 mins cause of pure frustration. Half a year ago I met  up with two mates from the past a we had a wicked session. That feeling was unbeatable, like the complete skate rush. We had a couple beers after it got to dark to skate ( we didn't bring a generator, cause we thought we old fucks wouldn't sesh too long). That day was perfect, was absolutly worth the 2 days of sour muscles and pain. Wish we could meet more often, but we live all over the country hard to keep in touch with work family etc.

7.6 on 50's - That's what's up!

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #475 on: March 07, 2014, 10:03:58 PM »
34 years old
Current and Next set-ups

Started skating in 88-89
Married almost 7 years
1 daughter 5 years old( she's kinda getting into skating)
Influenced by early world/blind/101, plan b, girl/chocolate, menace, dlx.
Nowadays I'm influenced by all that early stuff, plus all the small companies coming out (polar, scumco, hopps, etc)

"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #476 on: March 08, 2014, 11:10:19 AM »
^ I had the board on the right at one point. I'm pretty sure the guys in it are supposed to be fat boy caricatures of the team. Dude on the bottom is Aaron Herrington.

Downside of getting old: I was out skating by 8:30 this morning, and here it is 11 am and I'm sitting at home icing my hip...sigh
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #477 on: March 08, 2014, 12:18:34 PM »
^ I had the board on the right at one point. I'm pretty sure the guys in it are supposed to be fat boy caricatures of the team. Dude on the bottom is Aaron Herrington.

Downside of getting old: I was out skating by 8:30 this morning, and here it is 11 am and I'm sitting at home icing my hip...sigh
There's always tomorrow Gip, or next week, or whatever you did something a lot of Slappers fail to do which is go skate. It's gonna be 17 degrees and sunny in London tomorrow so I'm meeting a friend (another +30) and we're gonna go skate.

dougDfresh

• Rep: -25
  • "...we are the dreamers of the dream."
« Reply #478 on: March 08, 2014, 06:18:15 PM »
I too am late with the intro, but here it is:

36 years old

I've been skating since I was 9 (4th grade was when I got a board that wasn't from the swapmeet or a banana board) but if butt boarding down hills and learning to stand on a board, not pushing mango, and learning wheelies and power slides count, then I started when I was 7.

Currently I gave away my board to one of the kids in my old skate club so I am without a board.

I live in LA.

Married 5 years with a 2.5 year old daughter that's scared of skateboarding.

Although Natas was the family hero, my life was heavily influenced by Mark Gonzales and Ron Chatman, along with the whole 60/40 crew.

Skateboarding put the world in front of me, it showed me the good, the bad, and it introduced me to different music and cultures. Still grateful that it saved my life.

rothdigga

« Reply #479 on: March 08, 2014, 07:46:55 PM »

7.6" Girl Kenny Anderson
129 Indy
50 mm Bones Wheels

missing the crew from the past. I hate to skate on my own. The usual "session" ends after 5 mins cause of pure frustration. Half a year ago I met?  up with two mates from the past a we had a wicked session. That feeling was unbeatable, like the complete skate rush. We had a couple beers after it got to dark to skate ( we didn't bring a generator, cause we thought we old fucks wouldn't sesh too long). That day was perfect, was absolutly worth the 2 days of sour muscles and pain. Wish we could meet more often, but we live all over the country hard to keep in touch with work family etc.

That's a tight setup.  People trip out that I still skate a 7.825 with 50mm wheels and lo-Indys.  So funny.  I'm too close to losing all my flip tricks at 41 to give up and ride a damn 8.25 that I will never be able to 360 flip on. 
Love those old sessions with the homies.  You've got to find a decent little crew by you to get down with.  Or just as good, a solid low impact spot for a non-frustrating session.  I've got this little double sided curb and baby ledge that we skate all the time.  No worries, easy to warm up on and no stress trying old shit I've been doing for 25+ years on the curb.