Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 301556 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #600 on: May 25, 2014, 11:16:53 PM »
With you around....Tom Knox can just keep karate chopping boards for all I care......

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #601 on: May 26, 2014, 12:47:21 AM »
nice bv!

I wish my euro-ass could find a double-sided yellow curb like that somewhere.....dont think I've ever seen one out here,I'm jealous!

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #602 on: May 26, 2014, 07:44:34 AM »
Very sick b.v.
Got me wanting to session some of the old double sided curb spots in my town.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #603 on: May 26, 2014, 08:20:32 AM »
Damn, bv that was some smooth-ass curb slappin'. Nice!

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #604 on: May 26, 2014, 02:10:42 PM »
Spot skating sucks when you get older. Skated downtown providence yesterday and half the time was walking because the roads suck balls now.  Can't even cruise around really and all the spots more or less suck now.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #605 on: May 26, 2014, 05:22:01 PM »
I'm with you...which is why I pretty much just skate parks....lately though I've thought twice because of collisions....never thought running into someone would take me out.....now I wonder when.....

gearingupforgettingdown

• Rep: -149
« Reply #606 on: May 26, 2014, 05:59:07 PM »
I love the streets, downtown streets preferably. I just get more stoked when I look around and see urban landscapes. I just can't get down with parks, unless it was something like stoner with 5 people there total. Finally figured out backside slappies the right way tonight. Pretty  :)

Edit: Met some random 20 somethings in the streets, they trip out when they see me then hear how old I am. There is a such a divide these days with the youth, never mind how they see skateboarding.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:44:50 PM by gearingupforgettingdown »

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #607 on: May 26, 2014, 06:29:15 PM »
Of the two curb spots I frequent, I prefer the one with the chunky asphalt ground. Skating the shitty spots makes me feel like a kid again.

shark tits

« Reply #608 on: May 26, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
Spot skating sucks when you get older. Skated downtown providence yesterday and half the time was walking because the roads suck balls now.  Can't even cruise around really and all the spots more or less suck now.
i still dig it. providence is a dream to me but that's cause we hardly get down there. you've got better spots but worcester's pretty dope for cruising around, ollie this, grind that. do you know mike leslie? i think he's living near brigham these days.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #609 on: May 27, 2014, 01:16:51 AM »
I'm with you...which is why I pretty much just skate parks....lately though I've thought twice because of collisions....never thought running into someone would take me out.....now I wonder when.....

I told the story already but a collision in a park took me out last year (broken wrist and surgery to my ankle). that got me shook.
so I've taken to cruising the streets: downhill run, a few powerslides and ollies, take the bus, repeat. which is real fun but cars are pretty dangerous so.....
the fact is, skating is dangerous period. and with family/job duties, I really should stop I guess but letting go of your youth is a bummer....
allright enough philosophy for today!

foureyedjim

« Reply #610 on: May 27, 2014, 02:36:38 AM »
Weather has been pretty good, here, skating every day my body allows.
Lots of street lurking, learned fs 360 ollies after all these years. Also our curb spot has been getting a lot of action too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFrrreiQpQg&feature=youtu.be

not even close to being "old" but had to say that was really sick. 
keep rippin bv!

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #611 on: May 27, 2014, 06:40:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I told the story already but a collision in a park took me out last year (broken wrist and surgery to my ankle). that got me shook.
so I've taken to cruising the streets: downhill run, a few powerslides and ollies, take the bus, repeat. which is real fun but cars are pretty dangerous so.....
the fact is, skating is dangerous period. and with family/job duties, I really should stop I guess but letting go of your youth is a bummer....
allright enough philosophy for today!

2 of my 3 last major injuries have been skatepark collisions. It is infuriating. It would be one thing if I was trying mctwists or something cool (it would still suck) but to just be riding along and get my collar bone broken or my already shitty knee wrenched sideward is maddening.

As a result I have gotten a bit squirrely at parks. If something seems like it might be happening behind me or in my periphery, I bail. I try to avoid the "bangin" sessions and when there are dumb kids on bikes I don't go anywhere near them or I leave.

Like you guys I'm pushing 40 and have family to take care of. I can't really afford the downtime when I'm hurt and increasingly I worry about long term joint injury or pain. I just don't have much else to do on a weekly basis that gives me the same joy as a good day skating: which is can be like a spiritual recharge that carries over throughout the duller days (if you want to get new age-y about it).

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #612 on: May 27, 2014, 09:00:42 AM »

Like you guys I'm pushing 40. I can't really afford the downtime when I'm hurt and increasingly I worry about long term joint injury or pain. I just don't have much else to do on a weekly basis that gives me the same joy as a good day skating: which is can be like a spiritual recharge that carries over throughout the duller days (if you want to get new age-y about it).

Basically this, I can relate. It's weird, when you've been doing something for so long, so much of your socialization is based on that thing. It's just too bad I literally have two skate buddies that live in different cities. and when you're older, know one makes "friends" anymore unless you get lucky.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #613 on: May 27, 2014, 10:25:12 AM »
Yeah...skating is such a good reset button....and I don't stress about it the way I used to....I'm pretty satisfied with what I have...never expected to get this far...

A lot of dudes like skating transition but I never liked how bad wilsoning out can be, vs. rolled ankles and shinners.....surprisingly the street plazas are more safe than the 'flow' parks....some dudes are weird and too cool but when you talk to them you realize they are just socially inept....

Someone posted up that vid of 'gentlemans' hour which is such a good title and idea....parks dead....and I've met similar type dudes rolling in at the same time slot.....

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #614 on: May 27, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »
I don't trip out on what I used to be able to do either. It's been a trade off for me. I can do stuff that I couldn't do when I was younger and have lost things that I really don't miss. I like the 'gentlemens hour' idea. I'm a mid-week in the afternoon or night time curb zone kind of dude.

gearingupforgettingdown

« Reply #615 on: May 27, 2014, 04:29:28 PM »
It's funny how much weather has an effect on my mood towards skating these days. It was in the 80's yesterday and I get so amped to be on the board, outside, enjoying life, limbs/joints feel good, but it's dropping into the 60's again, and skateboarding is the last thing I want to do. I gotta move somewhere warm.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #616 on: May 27, 2014, 06:44:38 PM »
It's funny how much weather has an effect on my mood towards skating these days. It was in the 80's yesterday and I get so amped to be on the board, outside, enjoying life, limbs/joints feel good, but it's dropping into the 60's again, and skateboarding is the last thing I want to do. I gotta move somewhere warm.

Ha! That's funny, my knees think the same way.

I might be the only dude who is happier skating when it is 95 degrees and humid than when it is 70. It totally changes how young my joints feel.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #617 on: May 27, 2014, 06:53:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ha! That's funny, my knees think the same way.

I might be the only dude who is happier skating when it is 95 degrees and humid than when it is 70. It totally changes how young my joints feel.
I'm with you. I will definitely be the only guy at the park at 3pm in July when it's 94?f

wildbillhiccup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -78
  • JACKASS
« Reply #618 on: May 27, 2014, 07:44:33 PM »
Is 22 old? my body feels 40

shark tits

« Reply #619 on: May 27, 2014, 07:47:34 PM »
Is 22 old? my body feels 40
in your case, yes. you'll be dead at 40 but your corpse will look 80. if you want to be young forever you've gotta get one of those portraits of yourself like louie barletta has in his attic.

MaS

• Rep: -7
« Reply #620 on: May 27, 2014, 09:06:36 PM »
I turned 37 in Jan.  When I was 35 I was still skating pretty good.  Two years later.  Hella ankle and foot problems since then and now everything is so difficult.  Very unmotivated.  finally got orthos (350$) per foot but still getting used to them as they have zero padding.  Like hard plastic, feels like im skating with rocks in my shoes.   On top of all this the time away from teh board due to injuries mean I gain weight.  I'm not fat but compared to where I was I am more aerodynamic  :-[

regardless, keep sharing and I'll keep reading.  seeing the IG post and others just having fun helps.  The hard part is getting on that fitness program so i can start to feel healthier off the board.  Also I can't stop drinking a beer or two every nigh while watching TV with the wife.  Having 3 kids and a full time cooperate job don't help but that's just me making bullshit excuses. 

McBrandt

• Rep: -13
« Reply #621 on: May 27, 2014, 09:21:43 PM »
Got fully flared in my old age today.
http://instagram.com/p/nRPtj6ofxf/

La Crosse, eh? I always loved that little bowl they had.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #622 on: May 27, 2014, 09:24:53 PM »
If you skated in the 90s, 22 was old.....I've felt washed up since I was 23....it's done wonders for my ego.....

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #623 on: May 28, 2014, 04:30:22 AM »
I turned 37 in Jan.  When I was 35 I was still skating pretty good.  Two years later.  Hella ankle and foot problems since then and now everything is so difficult.  Very unmotivated.  finally got orthos (350$) per foot but still getting used to them as they have zero padding.  Like hard plastic, feels like im skating with rocks in my shoes.   On top of all this the time away from teh board due to injuries mean I gain weight.  I'm not fat but compared to where I was I am more aerodynamic  :-[

regardless, keep sharing and I'll keep reading.  seeing the IG post and others just having fun helps.  The hard part is getting on that fitness program so i can start to feel healthier off the board.  Also I can't stop drinking a beer or two every nigh while watching TV with the wife.  Having 3 kids and a full time cooperate job don't help but that's just me making bullshit excuses. 
I've got orthotic insoles and I've found the best way to get the impact support is the take a craft knife or scalpel and cut some voids in your shoes insole that allow the orthotic to sit in the shoe without your foot popping out while still giving you some cushioning.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #624 on: June 01, 2014, 06:58:50 PM »
couple clips form recent seattle trip .   turned 41 last weekend.   could be dead within a fortnight

https://vimeo.com/97078675

https://vimeo.com/97078676
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

truck

• Rep: -5
« Reply #625 on: June 01, 2014, 07:00:22 PM »
I'm old,,, i was born a pretty long time ago.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #626 on: June 02, 2014, 02:33:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I've got orthotic insoles and I've found the best way to get the impact support is the take a craft knife or scalpel and cut some voids in your shoes insole that allow the orthotic to sit in the shoe without your foot popping out while still giving you some cushioning.

I've got some sport orthotics, and while they're not as soft as regular insoles, they aren't rigid. They work in cupsoles, in any case.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #627 on: June 02, 2014, 03:21:15 AM »
couple clips form recent seattle trip .   turned 41 last weekend.   could be dead within a fortnight

Sick

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #628 on: June 02, 2014, 12:06:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Sick

rad. don't die just yet, I'm sure you got some lippies left in ya!

shark tits

« Reply #629 on: June 02, 2014, 01:33:03 PM »
rusty posted this somewhere else already but basically, the spirit of ricky o came to me in a dream and commanded me to build a couple of banks to this pillar and skate them. what, are you gonna not do what spirit ricky o says? i think not!
Michael Loughlin - Backside Wallie and Switch Backside Wallie