Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304314 times)

whale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1620 on: September 04, 2019, 09:32:17 AM »
I am a dude.
Who is old.
Now I am posting...
Up here.

Now that I’m a member of the club, where do I send my dues?
You can post nudes here

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #1621 on: September 04, 2019, 11:10:55 AM »
35 with real mixed feelings about it, just started skating again this spring after a really, really long break (so long I won't even say).  Sorry if this gets real hokey here, but long story short, quitting skating was a huge mistake; I always felt like a skateboarder before anything else and craved the feeling of urethane and concrete beneath my feet basically all the time I wasn't doing it.   I knew that I was the way I was as a person, good and bad, mostly because I grew from a child into an adult as a skateboarder back when that actually meant being an outsider, even sometimes among other skateboarders.  That can do something to a person, and in my case it forced me to think about all kinds of things in all areas of life on my own without even considering the received wisdom.  I stopped because I had no one to skate with anymore--I was the last of my high school crew to hang it up--but I told myself it was because I had to move into a new phase of life and put aside childish things. 

I struggled in my life since I quit, tormented by feeling like there was no place in the world for me, someone too weird to function.  I accomplished a lot (school, amazing family, career, etc.) on paper, but literally the entire time I wished I was dead.  I did something about that about a year ago and spent some time in the hospital.  After I got out of the hospital, I still struggled and I kept feeling like I needed to go back to the hospital so I wouldn't hurt myself again. Then one day I saw my old board sitting in the closet. I was feeling down and anxious, so I just grabbed it to push around on the street and and maybe snap some ollies over speed bumps, if I still could.  After pushing around for a few minutes and hearing that sound again--the one like you're standing on a tiny jet--I could suddenly imagine what feeling more like a whole person was like, like there was some hope of hanging on until I could repair some of the damage.  I realized if I could do that then I could keep hanging on until I could repair a little more and a little more.  I have gone skating almost every day since early March, started getting tricks back slowly, and now here I am, still skating, still hanging on.  I learned so much from quitting that I wish I didn't have to.  My body will be broken or I will die before I quit again.

I'm not good, and I never was; I was a brute who liked to go fast, muscle through really long grinds and slides, and wear out wheels bombing hills and powersliding.   I am finally starting to feel that old brutishness coming back when I skate street, crashing my board into things going really fast and hanging on.  There is nothing else in the world, no other feeling that can possibly compare.   There were almost no concrete parks built in my area when I was young, so I am finally starting to get into more like what you might call "park skating" (bowls, hips, pyramids, etc.), which is hard and scary, but it's fun and I can feel it making me more confident on the board all the time. 

TL; DR: Skating is fun, never quit because it could save your life one day. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 11:17:16 AM by Mr. Stinky »

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1622 on: September 04, 2019, 11:13:46 AM »
mArLeY

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1623 on: September 04, 2019, 11:31:21 AM »
^ I've felt the loss of not being a skateboarder a few times. Pretty sure those non skating times led to the same feeling of 0 belonging and drug use as well. As corny as it is, when I've been skating I don't need fuck all else. When I chilled on skating to do hardcore bands, I felt it. When I chilled on skating to be more involved with anti-racist skinheads, I felt it. Later, as just a full time party monster, I felt it. Like a constant loss / longing for a feeling that you can't get anywhere else. I was always "skater first". My skinhead lads never got that, to them I was just fucking around. To me, they were just fucking around.

For myself, when I've been off the board, there's always a guilt I carry around, like "it's nice out, should be skating... " always in the back. I carry a lot of depression and so forth that I let hold me back from time to time. Seems to me, to get myself back in, I usually have to look backward to re-kindle the fire. I usually go back to the videos I've liked the most, just to "remember" I guess? H-street, world industries rubbish heap, plan b questionable, girl - mouse, etc. Or any old Jeremy Klein footage. He always looked fun. And the fun is what I need. Once I get it back, I look at more current stuff I suppose.

I feel like a crack user explained some shit to me: "that first time you do crack is the best time, you can never feel that again, so you keep doing it and doing it, trying to recapture that feeling".

I feel like skating is pretty similar. Not that you can't still enjoy it, just that you always want to recapture the fun.

And just to update my old stats..
Years skating: 33
Deck: Real 8.0, Jessup
Trucks: Thunder hi 147
Wheels: spitfire bighead 52
Bearings: Swiss
Hardware: shorty's 7/8 Allen or diamond Carroll 7/8 Allen
Shoes: adidas busenitz vulc, or adidas Lucas
Fave tricks: kickflips, 1 foot, switch flips, shifty anything
Terrain: banks, curbs, ledges

I also never skate at skateparks. Feel confined there, and it's too much of a social situation for myself. Always loved the streets and the anti social ness. Like to cruise to the spot, part of the fun.

Rem377

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1624 on: September 04, 2019, 02:45:02 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Set Up: Chapman 8.0 deck, Indy trucks, Spitfire 53mm, Bones Reds or VXB bearings. Also have a Santa Cruz cruiser that I picked up recently
Preferred Terrain: Parks and parking lots
Favorite skaters:  Muska, Koston, Mike V,  Jason Adams, Westgate, Pedro Barros, Zion, Raven Tershy
Married: No, live with GF and plan to propose soon
Kids: None
Job: Portfolio / Investment Management

Recently moved from NYC to Dallas. Skated for 6 years before taking a 17 year hiatus, and have been back at it for the past 2.5 years.
I skate solo- would hit up LES or FatKid parks on the weekends in NY, now have to drive to Dallas area parks at 7am to beat the scooter crowd. I'll cruise around on weeknights and/or head to an empty parking lot for flatground practice, although progression has been slow as of late.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1625 on: September 04, 2019, 02:53:10 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Set Up: Chapman 8.0 deck, Indy trucks, Spitfire 53mm, Bones Reds or VXB bearings. Also have a Santa Cruz cruiser that I picked up recently
Preferred Terrain: Parks and parking lots
Favorite skaters:  Muska, Koston, Mike V,  Jason Adams, Westgate, Pedro Barros, Zion, Raven Tershy
Married: No, live with GF and plan to propose soon
Kids: None
Job: Portfolio / Investment Management

Recently moved from NYC to Dallas. Skated for 6 years before taking a 17 year hiatus, and have been back at it for the past 2.5 years.
I skate solo- would hit up LES or FatKid parks on the weekends in NY, now have to drive to Dallas area parks at 7am to beat the scooter crowd. I'll cruise around on weeknights and/or head to an empty parking lot for flatground practice, although progression has been slow as of late.

Welcome, and good luck.  I'll start you with a positive rep.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #1626 on: September 04, 2019, 03:37:26 PM »

I feel like a crack user explained some shit to me: "that first time you do crack is the best time, you can never feel that again, so you keep doing it and doing it, trying to recapture that feeling".

I feel like skating is pretty similar. Not that you can't still enjoy it, just that you always want to recapture the fun.

And just to update my old stats..
Years skating: 33
Deck: Real 8.0, Jessup
Trucks: Thunder hi 147
Wheels: spitfire bighead 52
Bearings: Swiss
Hardware: shorty's 7/8 Allen or diamond Carroll 7/8 Allen
Shoes: adidas busenitz vulc, or adidas Lucas
Fave tricks: kickflips, 1 foot, switch flips, shifty anything
Terrain: banks, curbs, ledges

I also never skate at skateparks. Feel confined there, and it's too much of a social situation for myself. Always loved the streets and the anti social ness. Like to cruise to the spot, part of the fun.

Dude, that's a really good way of putting it and I see exactly what you're saying.  With something like drugs, the amazing experience isn't because of anything you did, it's something that happened to you one time and can never happen again because there will only ever be that one time.  It's the same thing as only ever being able to have one first beer, only no one's first beer is probably even close to that good.   

With skating, there is actually almost a way of going back because it requires that you do something on a skateboard with your own body that produces the feeling rather than a chemical.  I can remember that incredible feeling of grinding my first curb when I was a kid, and guess what?  I can go session a different curb and have just as much fun as I did then--maybe even more, since I can do a bunch of other fun shit on the curb now that I couldn't do then.  Same general feeling but different time and place; the important thing is that you're skating a curb (or whatever is just basic fun on a skateboard to you).  I guess when you think of it like that, it's kind of less like "going back" than "coming back around" and discovering or rediscovering the things about skateboarding that make time fly like when you were young

Stats:

Board: 8.5" Anti-Hero full shape w/Mob (definitely switching to Jessup next board I set up, I'm hard on shoes as it is)
Trucks: Ace 44
Wheels/bearings: 53mm F4 Conicals, Bones Reds Big Balls
Vans Berle Pro (ugly as shit but they're treating me extremely right, the Busenitz ADV were next on my list so I'll probably give them a shot after these get worn out)
Fave tricks: fast f/s and b/s 50-50s, f/s boardslides, feebles, kickflips, big ass tweaked out melon grabs that I can definitely not do
Terrain: Parks, curbs, sensible hills
Married/w kids
A dirtbag lawyer

ramplocal

• Rep: 62
  • poser
« Reply #1627 on: September 04, 2019, 04:04:17 PM »
39, i have to stretch all day before i plan skating after work, i even walk 6 miles a day at my job and i still pay for ir if i dont stretch. The joys of getting older

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #1628 on: September 04, 2019, 04:05:04 PM »
Set Up: 8.5 Quasi
             53mm Spitfire
             Independent Hollows
             Bones Reds
             Jessup
Preferred Terrain: Street, mainly skating parks lately
Favorite skaters: Westgate, Sheffey, Crockett
Music: Neil Young, Fugazi, Sonic Youth, Hendrix
Married: 5 years
Kids: No

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #1629 on: September 04, 2019, 04:28:38 PM »
October of last year I decided I wanted to try to film 45 tricks for my 45th birthday. This is the result. It’s not a strict count, a lot of the ollies and 5050s probably shouldn’t be considered separate tricks, but who really cares. Most of the tricks are pretty basic but I’m still proud of this because some were a real battle.

Dude this is so sick, I turn 32 in a few months and kinda want to challenge myself to film 32 tricks before my birthday in December. After not skating consistently for about 6 years, a few friends of mine started skating again and they got me to start coming out with them in the morning. We go to skate parks at 7am before work—usually about twice a week. It's been so much fun!

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1630 on: September 04, 2019, 10:29:49 PM »

I'm the same. Parks are great for what they are but can also feel a bit sterile. Since I started skating I always felt bored by the environment at skateparks . Part of why I fell in love with skateboarding is because it opened up the world and gave me a reason to explore. Just cruising to a spot, some random bit of concrete and hanging out for a few hours is such a strange simple pleasure that is so hard to explain to people that don't skate.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #1631 on: September 04, 2019, 10:33:01 PM »

here

old

dude

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #1632 on: September 04, 2019, 10:53:30 PM »
Been kinda active on here for the past few months but never really done an "intro".

Was really into skating from age 14 to 18 then music took over. For the next 12 years I always owned a board but mostly just used it for transport. Got back into skating heavily at 30. A lot of injuries in the first few years back on the board, but nothing major recently. Some tricks haven't come back as good as when i was younger, but also some tricks I've never had before. I'm progressing slowly, and know that if I try to skate for more than 4 hours at a time my back will be fucked for most of the week after. My wrists and ankles have taken a lot of damage and I should probably start trying to learn transition but just really love the freedom of street, it's like reclaiming your concrete jungle. Mostly come to slap to fill in the time in my boring ass job.

Set Up: have way too many boards, love trying out different shapes and dimensions but mostly keep coming back to this one
             8.5 square af lookin Quasi/wknd
             52mm Spitfire f4 classics
             Independent titanium forged
             Bones Swiss
             Jessup

Preferred Terrain: Street, but will skate parks too if they're not too busy and I can't find a friend to hit the streets with, find it hard to stay motivated to skate alone. love banks, curbs, ledges, anything a bit different that forces you to be creative and get out of your comfort zone.
Favorite skaters: Franky Villani, Louie Lopez, Milton Martinez, anyone who looks like they're having fun and gets me hyped to skate, not into sterile skating from people who look like they're not having fun.
Music: Footwork, Jungle, UK Garage, Bruk/Broken Beat, Jazz
Married: No
Kids: No

Hi errybody :)
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

DotGuru

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1633 on: September 06, 2019, 12:12:48 PM »
K-Swiss, I also transitioned to music, and heavily. I think it's moderately common (I have a couple of friends from high school that did the same). Feel free to PM me any music links--I'm kind of curious as to what kinds of music people tend to make when making that transition.

I didn't do this before, so here:
Set Up: 8.5 Flight Deck
             53mm Spitfire (probably 51 or so by now)
             Thunder hollow lights
             Bronson cheapies
             Black grip (don't remember brand)
Preferred Terrain: flat, banks, ledges, manuals, curbs, trying to learn mini
Tricks: flippys (used to do tons of hardflip stuff, just now getting it back)
Favorite skaters: Mullen, Ocean Howell, and anyone creative that surprises me (unorthodox tricks)
Music: indie rock? Folk. Old stuff. Motown and Phil Spector, especially.
Married: 10 years
Kids: 2
Occupation: Teacher and builder/property developer (I'll buy vacant lots and build cabins on them, then sell).

drcroc

« Reply #1634 on: September 07, 2019, 01:30:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Let’s get these 2 trick lines bros
[close]

A 2 trick line for me nowadays would look something like an inward heel on flat then a fs shove down a 5 stair haha
[close]

Jumping down stairs? Couldn’t be me. I’m 31 but torn my ACL 3 times and meniscus are shot so not jumping off shit at all is how I keep skating. 2 trick line =flatground trick + ledge or manual trick
[close]

Back in my younger days I would warm up on a 6 stair and move up to the 10 stair. I've never had issues with ligaments though. I have broken both of my ankles doing stairs. I still like to jump down stuff, but not like I used to...
[close]

Im in my late 30's and just bomb hills, carve parks, do no comply variations, and red curbs.  I literally try to avoid popping my deck.  Had my days in my youth doing all that shit so I like the chill aspect

Amen to that. I'm in my 30s and I pretty much just cruise around at this point. The farthest I'd go would be scraped 180s and manuals on flat. The motivation to push myself to learn i.e. a hardflip went away somewhere down the line.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1635 on: September 07, 2019, 07:01:34 AM »
I tried to feeble the rail at the skatepark last night. I'm 44.

redux

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1636 on: September 07, 2019, 07:16:04 AM »
The PJ thread got me thinking about getting a new 8" setup. I was riding an 8.5 for years before my latest hiatus. Maybe a smaller board will get the jazz flowing again? Sorry, fishing and painting Warhammer minis is a lot of fun when you're old.

HaveFunSkateboarding

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1637 on: September 07, 2019, 08:32:13 AM »
The PJ thread got me thinking about getting a new 8" setup. I was riding an 8.5 for years before my latest hiatus. Maybe a smaller board will get the jazz flowing again? Sorry, fishing and painting Warhammer minis is a lot of fun when you're old.

Warhammer???? I've always wanted to play that. I used to buy the minis and paint them here and there, but never had anyone to play the game with (same with D&D). Awesome to hear someone else that skates is into this.

I'm 40 (41 in October), I find it hard to motivate myself to skate. As of late I've been rolling around in front of my house or even on my porch (it's something). I'm skating a Chocolate Stevie Perez 8.375" with Royals and 52mm Wayward wheels. I want to find a curb to skate but I'm finding it hard to find a parking lot that's smooth enough for this. Everything around me is rough as hell.

drcroc

« Reply #1638 on: September 07, 2019, 11:54:01 AM »

How'd that work out?

Schneaumunn

• Rep: 19
  • Stop needlin’ me you prick!
« Reply #1639 on: September 07, 2019, 02:14:29 PM »
[wringing hat in hands]
my name is Schneaumunn. I’m an old Dude.
The look and feel of hand tooled leather

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1640 on: September 07, 2019, 07:40:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How'd that work out?

I got on it, didn't land it. I'm going back for more because I think it's able to be gotten by my soggy, old ass.

drcroc

« Reply #1641 on: September 07, 2019, 07:54:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

How'd that work out?
[close]

I got on it, didn't land it. I'm going back for more because I think it's able to be gotten by my soggy, old ass.

I always wanted to 50-50 a flat bar but I've never seen someone do it in person and can't comprehend how it works. Do I just coat the bar with a lot of wax?  I used to ride up, ollie onto the bar and stick. Every time. If you're doing feebles I guess part of the board is sliding too... not just metal on metal, right?

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #1642 on: September 07, 2019, 08:51:32 PM »

I’m gonna try painting some warhammer minis, idk what that is but I googled it and it looks cool. I need a new hobby. I fish a decent amount but I really only like to fish on vacation

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 159
« Reply #1643 on: September 12, 2019, 03:31:08 PM »
Never posted here - turning 41 in a month so I guess I qualify  ;D Been skating nonstop since I was 12-13 ish, so quite a few years. Been skating almost everyday the last year, and it feels great. Just a positive with age that you dont have to slow down. Or yeah, it does feel sometimes, and my pop isnt where it used to be.. But its more fun then ever. I can also skate masterclass contests now since Im over 40.

I took advantage of that and won the Swedish Championships in miniramp for masters this summer  :D

Anyways, heres two lines from this summer, first one two days ago. Was supposed to be a 5 trick line, but couldnt make it past the bs 180 nosgrind.. Works every time as a single trick, but lines..  I hate them.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 03:36:01 PM by Mr.Jenkins »

redux

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1644 on: September 12, 2019, 05:15:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Warhammer???? I've always wanted to play that. I used to buy the minis and paint them here and there, but never had anyone to play the game with (same with D&D). Awesome to hear someone else that skates is into this.

I'm 40 (41 in October), I find it hard to motivate myself to skate. As of late I've been rolling around in front of my house or even on my porch (it's something). I'm skating a Chocolate Stevie Perez 8.375" with Royals and 52mm Wayward wheels. I want to find a curb to skate but I'm finding it hard to find a parking lot that's smooth enough for this. Everything around me is rough as hell.

It's a tough game to get into, but there are a lot of facets to it so you can get into whatever you want and be into Warhammer. I'm partial to the painting, models, and lore, and haven't even played a full game or finished building a proper army. If you are interested I recommend you start by digging into Youtube and Twitch for painting tutorials and battle reports.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #1645 on: September 12, 2019, 05:44:13 PM »
Mr. Jenkins, you're way too good to be posting in here.

drcroc

« Reply #1646 on: September 12, 2019, 05:48:41 PM »

Facts be that.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1647 on: September 12, 2019, 05:59:08 PM »

yeah, c'mon mang stop putting all the other 41 year olds to shame :(

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1648 on: September 12, 2019, 06:39:17 PM »
Mr. Jenkins makes me feel some sort of way.

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 159
« Reply #1649 on: September 12, 2019, 10:45:32 PM »
Alright, ill come back closer to my 50´s then  ;D