Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304315 times)

DotGuru

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 23
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1650 on: September 13, 2019, 06:45:48 PM »
Yeah, Mr. J.
Sick stuff. I'm getting a lot of good tricks back, but I just don't have the energy to do lines like that. I can do 2 trick lines and then I just don't have the pop to do anything that isn't no-comply based. You skate 10+ years younger than your age, I'd say. Something to which we could all aspire.

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 159
« Reply #1651 on: September 14, 2019, 02:11:06 AM »
Yeah, Mr. J.
Sick stuff. I'm getting a lot of good tricks back, but I just don't have the energy to do lines like that. I can do 2 trick lines and then I just don't have the pop to do anything that isn't no-comply based. You skate 10+ years younger than your age, I'd say. Something to which we could all aspire.

The pop is definitely not what its used to be, but Im still suprised on how much i can keep up still, but it does requires me to skate a lot, if i dont skate for a while it really feels in my body.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1652 on: October 02, 2019, 11:00:49 PM »
I've just gotten plantar fascitis in my left foot (I am regular, but skate switch a lot). I am going to have the time for a skate session tomorrow, so I was wondering if this is very debilitating (I cannot wait months for it to disappear)? Will stretching that area help, even if I continue to skate a couple of times per week?

I do a couple of dynamic stretches before the session, but no cold stretching afterwards. My shoes are well padded, but the previous pair was worn quite thin on the sole.

DotGuru

« Reply #1653 on: October 03, 2019, 10:53:23 AM »
I've just gotten plantar fascitis in my left foot (I am regular, but skate switch a lot). I am going to have the time for a skate session tomorrow, so I was wondering if this is very debilitating (I cannot wait months for it to disappear)? Will stretching that area help, even if I continue to skate a couple of times per week?

I do a couple of dynamic stretches before the session, but no cold stretching afterwards. My shoes are well padded, but the previous pair was worn quite thin on the sole.

I have not had that, so I can't tell you, but I can tell you this: sometimes one of my hips will get sore (if I skate regular a lot, my left hip gets sore, if I skate goofy (or nollie, for me), my right does). So I have to either balance my sessions between stances or kind of alternate which stance I prefer in a session. My suggestion (which works well for me on sore and/or cold days) is to (obviously) do stretching and warming up, but to start your session with lower, regular-stance ollie based tricks and feel it out. I had a very good session last week that started this way--I didn't think I was going to skate at all, but easing into the session with some lower regular stance stuff really got my into the groove.

Also, fellow old dudes: I'm going to be putting out a video in a little over a week--sort of a (re)progression video about the process of getting it all back after a very long break. I'm pretty excited about it--there's some stuff in there (so far) that I didn't think I'd be able to do. I will be posting it in this thread only for old dude inspiration (though I might also put it in the "post you skating" thread, but I am not so sure about non-old dudes being able to appreciate it as much). Three more sessions of filming, so we'll see how it goes...I'm waiting until after the 11th, since I have to travel to a different town for a work meeting and they have a really good ledge at the park there (I don't have any normal-sized ledges within an hour's drive).

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1654 on: October 11, 2019, 12:53:05 PM »
Awesome lines J. Those BS 180 Nosegrinds aren’t easy. It’s on my to do list . I think I overwind and end up to far inside the ledge. 
Summer flew by. Had a blast skating – usually around twice a week. Got super busy in late July and August – hardly skated. Life and responsibilities took over. Finally had some time and got to skate for a bit. Saw some kid on a Lime scooter at the skate spot (electric public share things) tried it and wanted to jump up a curb and ate shit – bruised my ankle. Out for a week or something. The irony!! Anywho, foot was a little sore, everything else was fine (minor bruise on knee). Week later, woke up on a Tuesday morning and couldn’t bend my knee. Got way worst over next few days – called in sick – went to physio/doctor – They didn’t know what’s was going on. Gave my some anti-inflammatory pills and waited. Got better but was a tuff week. Feels much better now (almost a month later). Went for an X-ray and MRI, doctor seems to think it was some sort of reaction (almost like a chemical reaction) to some sort of calcium deposit in my knee or something. Quite odd how this all happened. Knee feels pretty good now. I’m stoked but a little bit weary.

Dot Guru - my hips hurt at times too - get the rubber bands and stretch - DM me if you want an easy exercise that will work wonders.

Managed to snag one tripod clip – one and only for the summer. Will upload soon and repost here. Gonna try and skate this weekend. It’s been a while. Should be fun. Hopefully try to film a line before the snow falls or it gets too cold out.

Stay fit boys - enjoy your skating.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #1655 on: October 16, 2019, 07:30:42 PM »

Here's a link to a "mostly over 40" skate video some friends and I made.  We are mostly from the Boulder/Denver area.  We have a good time.  We call ourselves The Stubborns because, well, we are.  There are a couple of names like Jeremy Frankovis and Pat Smith (yes that Pat Smith) that you may recognize. 

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1656 on: October 17, 2019, 06:25:32 AM »
While at the park last night, there was a dad there watching his kid skate. The dad kept looking at me and finally came up to me and asked me if we used to skate together back in the 90's. Turns out, we went to the same high school, and we did skate together a bit during my senior year (he was a freshman). There was a crew of younger guys that hung out together that he was a part of and I drove around back then, and then he casually mentioned that two thirds of them are dead now. One OD'd and one shot himself several years ago.

That was a little jarring.

Feels weird to know that I was the oldest out of that grouping and I am the one that still skates.

The guy that shot himself had a mom that was a certified cougar, tho. I mean...damn.

DotGuru

« Reply #1657 on: October 17, 2019, 08:18:58 PM »
It started getting cold and I started getting sore so I decided it was time to edit this year's footage.
The skating is only in the first 3 minutes--the rest is motivational speech type stuff for fellow old dudes that might be considering getting back into it but haven't yet.

And I'm already thinking about next spring. It's going to be a long winter.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2204
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1658 on: October 18, 2019, 12:55:48 AM »
Still here.
Still old.
Posting “up here” again, because...
I still fits them descriptions!
Not getting any younger.
It’s nearly 1AM. I’m finally off work. Wife & kids are asleep. So is most of the city. I’m going skating.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 08:43:47 AM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

DotGuru

« Reply #1659 on: October 18, 2019, 09:17:36 AM »
Still here.
Still old.
Posting “up here” again, because...
I still fits them descriptions!
Not getting any younger.
It’s nearly 1AM. I’m finally off work. Wife & kids are asleep. So is most of the city. I’m going skating.

Night time city sessions are great. Jealous.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #1660 on: December 27, 2019, 10:11:44 PM »
Skating is getting more difficult and it’s depressing me. Im mid 30s and I don’t think my legs have much left. I don’t know what I’m going to think about or do. What is a midlife crisis if I can’t physically relive my youth? Do I get a motorcycle? How do I cure this depression

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #1661 on: December 27, 2019, 10:28:09 PM »
http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2019/08/30/jocks-guide-skateboarding-gym-exercises/
I rarely do this stuff but the ankle exercises work
Sometime do calf lifts when I'm standing around. Or 1-leg squat/hold things

Midlife crisis?
Young gf? Young bf? Both? I don't judge.. good on you..
Motorcycle? Hell yes. I'd suggest mellow naked bike over crotch rocket or big Harley
Red convertible? Sexy sexy sexy but I'm picturing an 80's baldish dude wearing lotsa gold
New sport? Stand up paddle boarding looks really cool. Really really cool

For me it's smoke weed, go skate. Depresh hits mid-session? Smoke another bowl. And it's medical cuz I'm sore as fuck
Don't think your legs have much left? I've got a decade on you and I don't even wanna talk about how fucked up my leg is
Just get out there and enjoy the suck.. friendly curbs and park blocks can be great therapy

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #1662 on: December 27, 2019, 10:48:53 PM »

Here's a link to a "mostly over 40" skate video some friends and I made.  We are mostly from the Boulder/Denver area.  We have a good time.  We call ourselves The Stubborns because, well, we are.  There are a couple of names like Jeremy Frankovis and Pat Smith (yes that Pat Smith) that you may recognize.

Rad; thank you! RIP Jason 💗🙏🏽💗
SPB!

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #1663 on: December 28, 2019, 08:02:51 PM »
"COUPLE FACE 15 YEARS IN PRISON FOR SKATEBOARDING ON FREEWAY IN ATTEMPT TO RECREATE 1970S STUNT"

_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1664 on: December 28, 2019, 08:12:09 PM »
Skating is getting more difficult and it’s depressing me. Im mid 30s and I don’t think my legs have much left. I don’t know what I’m going to think about or do. What is a midlife crisis if I can’t physically relive my youth? Do I get a motorcycle? How do I cure this depression
  Motorcycle is a bad idea.  When your on a bike and you see that car stopped at the sign or in his driveway, is he waiting for you? or is he just fucking around with his radio and is going to pull out in front of you while ur going 80 clicks?  Just skate flatground and try some tranny.  Skate alot and smoke a doob to your dome.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #1665 on: December 28, 2019, 09:35:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
  Motorcycle is a bad idea.  When your on a bike and you see that car stopped at the sign or in his driveway, is he waiting for you? or is he just fucking around with his radio and is going to pull out in front of you while ur going 80 clicks?  Just skate flatground and try some tranny.  Skate alot and smoke a doob to your dome.

try a diet change? It worked for me.

Im 41 i can put 8hrs without breaks on my board again.

I forget to piss though and that sucks sometimes. Get home and feel like the dog who pissed on Freddys grave.

🔥
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Mr.Jenkins

« Reply #1666 on: March 12, 2020, 01:30:37 PM »
Some clips from this winter (a few from last too). Kinda made an effort to get something this year. At 41, its not easy  ;D

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #1667 on: April 12, 2020, 07:14:27 PM »

They make braces that you sleep in that are supposed to help that.

Also, in general old guy news:

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/prescription-arthritis-drug-voltaren-available-over-the-counter

This is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory cream.  It is supposed to be easier on you liver than taking a bunch of acetaminophen because you apply it to the spot where you need it. 

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1668 on: April 12, 2020, 07:42:55 PM »
Taking naproxen sodium helps my aching knees quite a bit, as long as I remember to keep up with it.

I just built a 1' tall, 6' long grind box in my garage and during the quarantine, I have been sessioning it by myself with regularity. I did fuck up the other day and slipped out on a grind and got the end of the angle iron in my lower back. But I didn't bleed out or anything. I'll be 45 in two months, so we'll see how long this keeps going.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #1669 on: April 13, 2020, 12:22:12 AM »
Only and while skating with my 19 year old homies yesterday someone asked if one of them was my son smh

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #1670 on: April 13, 2020, 01:21:42 AM »
Unexpected effect of covid lockdown: I've been skating around with my sons a lot, maybe 3 times a week. There's a lot less cars and traffic, so we take advantage. Going cycling is still allowed in Brussels so I don't think we are breaking any rules and the cops don't say anything. My oldest son is starting to get hooked, he's landing his first stationary ollies! So stoked on that. Not stoked on how rusty I am though! Every ollie seems to take such effort....But it's all coming back slowly. But then again I can feel my knees are fucked so I'm taking it easy with that 46 year-old body of mine. Take care old dudes!  8)

Fernandito

• Rep: -77
« Reply #1671 on: April 13, 2020, 09:11:03 AM »
I'm 25 and have to take pain killers before and after every flatground sesh

Mr.Jenkins

« Reply #1672 on: April 19, 2020, 01:04:35 PM »
Got a little kickflip done today. Probably 5 years ago I did these - used to come so easy to me. Happy I still got it in me  :)

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1673 on: April 19, 2020, 02:39:37 PM »
Got a little kickflip done today. Probably 5 years ago I did these - used to come so easy to me. Happy I still got it in me  :)

That was sick mate. I am struggling with these, when is the right time to start the pop motion? How much speed do I need to do a kickflip slightly over the coping and NOT get a hang up?
IG: @flowterspace

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #1674 on: April 19, 2020, 03:02:20 PM »
not saying I'm old

but i had Pal status since before "gino of chocolate"
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #1675 on: April 19, 2020, 03:15:50 PM »
not saying I'm old

We must know each other then. Between this join and THA MB I've been around forever and am older than stone.
ok thanks

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1676 on: April 19, 2020, 03:19:10 PM »
Shit, old guys post. I just built a 2' x 7' mini ramp for qurantine to skate with my son. The kicker? I'm 43 and I can cruise a park but have never really learned any tricks and have never had a proper mini ramp to skate for more than an hour or so.

Also learning how to skate street again after not picking up a board from 2008 until recently. I've instituted a regimen of a minimum of 25 ollies per day.

I feel fine though. I became a fairly active cyclist (rode 112 miles this week) and I run a bit and do yoga and shit. I got some weight I could still lose but thats because I eat a lot of fucking good vegan food. I feel like I have the same kind of energy levels I did when I was in my 20s. Slams suck more now though, I almost think that's mental as much as anything.
ok thanks

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1677 on: April 19, 2020, 03:40:55 PM »
Expand Quote
not saying I'm old

[close]

We must know each other then. Between this join and THA MB I've been around forever and am older than stone.
There's dirt newer than me :-\

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1678 on: April 19, 2020, 03:57:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
not saying I'm old

[close]

[close]
There's dirt newer than me :-\

Yup, I remember you.
ok thanks

Mr.Jenkins

« Reply #1679 on: April 19, 2020, 10:50:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That was sick mate. I am struggling with these, when is the right time to start the pop motion? How much speed do I need to do a kickflip slightly over the coping and NOT get a hang up?

Im just doing it as late as I can, lift my from front wheels and pop it off right before my backwheels hit the coping. The speed is of course dependent on ramp and the hight your going for.