Author Topic: Old Dudes Post Up Here...  (Read 304389 times)

411bandit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -42
Re: Old Dudes Post Up Here...
« Reply #1680 on: April 20, 2020, 03:21:33 AM »
not saying I'm old

but i had Pal status since before "gino of chocolate"

You need to be able to skate though.....

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1681 on: April 20, 2020, 09:21:43 AM »
Expand Quote
not saying I'm old

but i had Pal status since before "gino of chocolate"
[close]

You need to be able to skate though.....

I follow NASCAR do I need a racecar to watch a race?

Why the fuck would I risk injury riding a skateboard? Leave that shit to the pros.
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 968
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1682 on: April 20, 2020, 10:07:36 AM »

What can I do to make this thing smoother before clear coat and wax the edge.
I plan more tricks and hope to attack from above without getting cheese greater effect on my board.

Its high aggregate and it cuts almost a ply deep. Than the dark lord for F4

Plz don't rep this horrendous move just help me make the obstacle better
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Commercial D

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -670
« Reply #1683 on: April 20, 2020, 10:32:24 AM »

I plan more tricks and hope to attack from above without getting cheese greater effect on my board.

Chunky!
Skate videos have been downhill ever since 411VM #20

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1684 on: April 20, 2020, 01:03:38 PM »

Rub bricking should help. I used a stone to rub a curb and that shit is so smooth now, see the starting a curb thread.

20 minutes rub brick, 1 layer clear coat, 1 layer wax and clear coat again.
IG: @flowterspace

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1685 on: April 20, 2020, 01:29:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Rub bricking should help. I used a stone to rub a curb and that shit is so smooth now, see the starting a curb thread.

thanks
(A)pl(E)

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1686 on: April 21, 2020, 10:46:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

thanks

If it isn't too much too ask, could you show us the end result when you are done?

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #1687 on: April 21, 2020, 03:31:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you do paint-wax-paint, the 2nd layer of paint will only stick where there isn't wax.
I do 2 coats on the edge and then check it (see how it grinds), then I think about wax.
Painting the top takes more paint, usually 2-3 light coats/misting. But your shit looks really porous..
Lacquer goes on thinner but seems to soak in better. Enamel does on thicker and is supposed to be stronger than lacquer.
Best to let the paint dry overnight but if it's 70*f and sunny it'll dry quick.
Ppl are saying a regular brick will work if you can't find a rub brick.

franc

• Rep: 102
« Reply #1688 on: April 29, 2020, 12:29:40 PM »
Hi everybody. I've been checking this thread for a while but never posted much. I'm 38 and still skate as much as I can, usually 2 to 3 times a week.

I recently made a corona themed edit, was fun to work on. Getting a clip after a long day at work always felt good during this weird thing we’re all going through at the moment. This lockdown forced me to skate differently too, which was interesting.

Quarante tricks en quarantaine, it means forty tricks in quarantine but it sounds better in French (even if I ended using 42 clips, hehe).

Filmed that from March 19th to April 20th.

Hopefully some of you will enjoy it.

Have fun skating!

Bata

• Rep: -72
« Reply #1689 on: April 29, 2020, 12:35:51 PM »
damn you have legitimately good style

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1690 on: April 29, 2020, 01:10:04 PM »
Sacre bleu

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #1691 on: April 29, 2020, 02:21:49 PM »
That was such a fun watch - very smooth.

Where are you based out of? - the hills in the background look great with the snowcover.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

franc

« Reply #1692 on: April 29, 2020, 10:27:14 PM »
Thanks for the kind words!

I live in the south of Switzerland and all this stuff was filmed very close to my place.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1693 on: April 30, 2020, 05:27:40 AM »
From South of Switzerland to my dumb garage. COVID operations as I worked through relearning the way I kick flip and getting comfortable grinding on round rails again.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1694 on: April 30, 2020, 07:38:58 AM »
From South of Switzerland to my dumb garage. COVID operations as I worked through relearning the way I kick flip and getting comfortable grinding on round rails again.

Looks fun to me.

I wish my flat bar was like that. Mine is like a double barrelshot gun. I have to wax the middle of it to get good crooks.

(A)pl(E)

bradtheraddad

• Rep: 27
« Reply #1695 on: April 30, 2020, 08:34:39 AM »
Hey all, long time lurker, figured I should contribute something. Turned 45 about a year ago so I did one of those birthday challenge videos. I wrote down as many tricks I thought I could do and even a few NBDs (e.g., fakie big flip over a hip) and just worked off of that list for a few weeks. Because work & family take up 99% of my time, my "free" time consists of roughly 20-30 minutes a day about 2-3 days out of the week if I'm lucky so I'm only able to get out and skate a few times a month.

I didn't want to spend a lot of time filming (solo, mostly), it's just not my idea of fun, so I would move on after checking of a trick on the list (ie, expect to see a LOT of imperfect skating). I'm not trying to get sponsored or impress anyone, this was just a personal challenge for myself. It took a few weeks to finally finish up the video due to injuries (rolled ankle, tweaked back..getting old sucks lol) here/there, work, family obligations etc.

Quick bio: Skated 24/7/365 from '87 - '01 then Life 2.0 happened (kids, career, multitude of health problems). Moved to California and did the LEAST amount of skating in my life (this was before the park boom and I learned the harsh reality of actually tickets for skateboarding). Moved to Austin, TX, found a great crew of older dudes and more parks/ditches than I've ever dreamed of.

Well, let me know what you think about an overweight geezer's attempt at something like this. Check out my friends in the video (they're all way better than I am) and give me some feedback if you're inclined, thanks!

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1696 on: April 30, 2020, 08:59:52 AM »
Hey all, long time lurker, figured I should contribute something. Turned 45 about a year ago so I did one of those birthday challenge videos. I wrote down as many tricks I thought I could do and even a few NBDs (e.g., fakie big flip over a hip) and just worked off of that list for a few weeks. Because work & family take up 99% of my time, my "free" time consists of roughly 20-30 minutes a day about 2-3 days out of the week if I'm lucky so I'm only able to get out and skate a few times a month.

I didn't want to spend a lot of time filming (solo, mostly), it's just not my idea of fun, so I would move on after checking of a trick on the list (ie, expect to see a LOT of imperfect skating). I'm not trying to get sponsored or impress anyone, this was just a personal challenge for myself. It took a few weeks to finally finish up the video due to injuries (rolled ankle, tweaked back..getting old sucks lol) here/there, work, family obligations etc.

Quick bio: Skated 24/7/365 from '87 - '01 then Life 2.0 happened (kids, career, multitude of health problems). Moved to California and did the LEAST amount of skating in my life (this was before the park boom and I learned the harsh reality of actually tickets for skateboarding). Moved to Austin, TX, found a great crew of older dudes and more parks/ditches than I've ever dreamed of.

Well, let me know what you think about an overweight geezer's attempt at something like this. Check out my friends in the video (they're all way better than I am) and give me some feedback if you're inclined, thanks!

Not bad. I hope to be still able to skate well like this in 4 years.

I watched like 5 mins.  I would film the ditch more nice green grass. and the big red Bank less or from the angle of the slam. I'm sorry for talking about that I know it's bad luck but whatever knock on your board. Maybe re edit it down to like 5 mins

Anytime I see someone with good Manny powers I suggest they do more there.
That Manny in the dark looking long and smooth. I think it had red curbs around the pad.

I would suggest trying to expand upon that. Maybe back 80 fakie Manny?  Or back 80 out.

Kick flip Manny looking possible.
(A)pl(E)

bradtheraddad

• Rep: 27
« Reply #1697 on: April 30, 2020, 10:49:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not bad. I hope to be still able to skate well like this in 4 years.

I watched like 5 mins.  I would film the ditch more nice green grass. and the big red Bank less or from the angle of the slam. I'm sorry for talking about that I know it's bad luck but whatever knock on your board. Maybe re edit it down to like 5 mins

Anytime I see someone with good Manny powers I suggest they do more there.
That Manny in the dark looking long and smooth. I think it had red curbs around the pad.

I would suggest trying to expand upon that. Maybe back 80 fakie Manny?  Or back 80 out.

Kick flip Manny looking possible.

Hey, I appreciate any/all feedback, thank you! I hear you on some of the crappy angles. If other skaters are at the park, I try to put my phone where it's out of the way, sometimes that does = crappy angle. Regarding manuals, I really debated just putting in a boring one but, it was all I had captured at the time. I definitely want to get some variations next time (kf manny, nose manny shuv, etc.). Thanks again for the feedback, I'll take whatever y'all got!

franc

« Reply #1698 on: May 02, 2020, 09:03:36 AM »

Radness! Nice wrap on that impossible.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #1699 on: May 02, 2020, 09:23:56 AM »
All videos on this page RULE!
Shalom to all

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #1700 on: May 02, 2020, 09:53:52 AM »

Nice work Brad. I'm right behind you and 45 later this month. I'll see what I can come up with.

whitefeathers

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1701 on: May 03, 2020, 06:11:03 AM »
No videos or anything of my newb skating at 37 years old to share. I started last year as balance work for offseason ski training. Its great to see that many older people are out there starting anew. its rare in park skiing to see "new old" people. haha. I warm up with a bike ride to the skate park at 6am. Not a soul there just a bunch of birds and the occasional turkey. I'm just rolling around right now, no tricks, doing "laps" around the perimeter. I alternate which foot leads on the board even though riding regular is more comfy. I only go about once a week since I have too many other things going on and during this corona time my work is still open and super busy. Lots of OT.

throwaway187

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1702 on: May 03, 2020, 07:01:49 AM »
I'm 38. Body is wrecked but I can't stop.

DontBlowNoBubbles

« Reply #1703 on: May 03, 2020, 01:30:27 PM »
...turned 43 today.  Here's a video my buddy (also 43...soon to be 44) and I have been making.  Mellow skating...no enders -- Covid shut down the sessions and we're also old, we've got kids, wives, careers and the rest of it, and often we opt to give our bones a break and surf instead. Nevertheless, we try to keep those lunch sessions alive.  Respect to all old guys still pushing....

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1704 on: May 03, 2020, 04:07:13 PM »
...turned 43 today.  Here's a video my buddy (also 43...soon to be 44) and I have been making.  Mellow skating...no enders -- Covid shut down the sessions and we're also old, we've got kids, wives, careers and the rest of it, and often we opt to give our bones a break and surf instead. Nevertheless, we try to keep those lunch sessions alive.  Respect to all old guys still pushing....

That was impressive! Much respect. Oh and happy birthday pal. (:

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1705 on: May 03, 2020, 04:05:39 PM »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1706 on: May 03, 2020, 04:06:36 PM »

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #1707 on: May 13, 2020, 05:41:19 PM »
After dropping off birthday cards my kids made for my Dad (82!) I skated my old high school for a bit before heading home. Just some small ollies on a bank, manuals and firecrackered the stairs for fun (two bails in the form of stopping dead from unseen gravel and a weird wobble off a speed bump) - nothing even close to the "old days" but damn it was fun. So to paraphrase what others have said "much props" to us old gits still rolling.

Stay safe everyone.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 05:46:27 PM by nonickname »
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
« Reply #1708 on: May 13, 2020, 06:27:01 PM »

sick. I turn 45 this year. Might have to steal this idea and try it at the shit park near me. There will probably be lots of filler tricks and I suck at any tranny  :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 06:28:57 PM by stephop »

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 159
« Reply #1709 on: May 16, 2020, 01:08:50 PM »
Got sent a clip from Mark Nickels from one of the big Osiris tours back in the day, that I never seen. 19 years ago.. Went to my local ramp and gave it a try, haven't done this in 10+ years but worked it out  ;D